Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

LuckyCat posted:

Vanguard suffered greatly in my opinion when they instituted the newbie island. I understand that they had to because of the low population but having separate and distinct racial starting areas was so good. I remember starting a half giant shaman and getting really immersed in the lore via the quests and diplomacy.

I jumped into actual EverQuest for a hot minute with a couple friends a year or so ago before I tried P1999 and EQ also did something lame like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013
there was a quote from Brad McQuaid quite some years ago, as I recall, where he said something to the effect of "you wouldn't believe the number of people who loaded in, died to a rat or got lost finding their guild master and never played again"

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Groovelord Neato posted:

I jumped into actual EverQuest for a hot minute with a couple friends a year or so ago before I tried P1999 and EQ also did something lame like that.

Ah yes the gloomingdeep mines or w/e they’re called. I miss the days of newbie gardens being chock full of new players and old players making alts.

The newbie garden I think of most often is Misty Thicket, while I feel most nostalgic for Innothule Swamp. In 1999 as a 12 year old I was blown away by EQ and I’ve not felt the immersion I felt after making my troll Shadowknight ever again. I think that’s most people’s experience with MMOs though. We look back with rose tinted glasses and want to feel what we felt again, but we never will.

LuckyCat fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Mar 15, 2021

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

LuckyCat posted:

The newbie garden I think of most often is Misty Thicket, while I feel most nostalgic for Innothule Swamp. In 1999 as a 12 year old I was blown away by EQ and I’ve not felt the immersion I felt after making my troll Shadowknight ever again. I think that’s most people’s experience with MMOs though. We look back with rose tinted glasses and want to feel what we felt again, but we never will.

I want to know if, 20 years later, people will wax poetic about the sense of wonder of their first time in, I dunno, Destiny or Final Fantasy XIII.

retpocileh
Oct 15, 2003

LuckyCat posted:

Ah yes the gloomingdeep mines or w/e they’re called. I miss the days of newbie gardens being chock full of new players and old players making alts.

Honestly, I went into P99 expecting all the magic to be gone but it wasn't. It was still there, and possibly just as strong.

I'm not even sure it's entirely nostalgia. No other MMO that I've tried has the sense of danger, mystery, and community that P99 has.

To this day you will run around in dangerous zones, and get lost because it's night time and you don't have an in game map. This is when the fear starts to set in because you're bound halfway around the world and you're gonna lose your level if you die. God help you if you die deep in Kaesora during a charm soloing session that has you clenching your butt cheeks the entire time so hard you could forge diamonds.

Everyone in the game tends to develop a reputation, you see the same people setting up shop in the same zones day after day and week after week and everyone gets to know each other.

Every button you press as an enchanter or necromancer while soloing has actual weight and meaning to it and can make the difference between life and death, there's no meaningless button spam (unless you're a melee), and those potential deaths are legitimately brutal and create a real sense of danger.

Pulling, CC, carefully managing hp and mana throughout your fights are all nontrivial affairs and critical to success.

Outside of the few classes who can solo effectively, you need people to accomplish anything in the game, so you have to socialize, people actually chat nonstop in parties and that act of socializing is oftentimes more than half the fun.

Based on how creative and good you are with your class you can pull off crazy poo poo, soloing or duoing stuff that the developers never intended you to.

Getting level 60 feels like a legitimate accomplishment, hell every level you get past level 2 feels like a legitimate accomplishment.

Game is still loving awesome and magical and sucked away every free minute of my life for the better part of a year or two.

Too bad raiding loving blows, and outside of that you end up without much to do at level 60 aside from farming high end items given that there will never be another expansion.

retpocileh fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Mar 16, 2021

hobocrunch
Mar 11, 2008

I'm walkin' here

Vomik posted:

I don’t think speed of implementation has any bearing on the quality of the pantheon product. Purely imo

You're going to need to explain your self more because it's quite literally what they've been doing for years. They're just in never ending loops of redesigning their old systems / art. In 2 years time they'll finally release the last art model and then they'll go back and look at Archai, Dark Myr and Skar again. They're doing it with everything- Zones, Classes, Gameplay systems. They keep making excuses and it's like at somepoint you have to realise that they secured funding in loving January and still haven't hired a single 3D artist and we're half way into March.

And it's not like some of the stuff they've made is even that bad quality- it's nice- It's just taking them so drat long.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

My only problem with P99 is since everyone knows the best spots or has 10 alts you don't get the same leveling experience. If you had a similar population to when I originally played I probably would've stuck with it so I have to agree it's not fully the rose tinted glasses in terms of gameplay. Though it was nice seeing the EC tunnel full of traders once again.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

retpocileh posted:

Too bad raiding loving blows, and outside of that you end up without much to do at level 60 aside from farming high end items given that there will never be another expansion.

come to The Al'Kabor Project! we have Luclin now (with Plane of Knowledge enabled) and Plane of Power coming soon (tm). Raiding is cool and fun and the community isn't toxic :)

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Great news, everyone! It sounds like Alpha One is right around the corner!

https://www.pantheonmmo.com/news/producers-letter-march-2021/

quote:

The big word around the office lately is “Alpha One.” Today we are going to dive into what Alpha One means, why it’s important and what we are doing to get there. We will list items still needing work prior to Alpha to give you an idea of what remains to be done. This is not a date for Alpha, but a high level scope of work.

You no doubt noticed the subtle “One” succeeding the word “Alpha.” A more traditional Alpha would serve function over form and some of the unessential bells and whistles would be excluded. But Pantheon Alpha will be different. Thousands of people will experience Pantheon for the first time in Alpha. We are in an era where certain expectations are set when it comes to a first hands-on look at a game. For better or worse, we do need to consider form as well. If resources are going into form and function, then we need to be judicious about which features are included at the start of alpha, which are introduced later in alpha, and which, if any, are left for beta. Let me also be clear that the goal is not for Alpha to be representative of launch-ready, but Alpha needs to be much more polished than a traditional Alpha would otherwise require. Do not consider it early access. Unlike early access titles, only a small portion of the game’s content will be available for Alpha One, and several of its systems will only be available as a first iteration.

That is where the “One” comes in. Alpha will have several phases like Pre-Alpha. The sessions will be longer than the 3-5 hour sessions that have been the established norm for Pre-Alpha. In terms of planning, we have now scoped what we feel is essential for Day One of Alpha. These Day One essentials are all part of Alpha One.

The list of essentials is a big one. We know with our current team size that this would take some time to complete. So a big part of this year is exploring options on how to finish Alpha One in a reasonable timeframe. Our current options are to add more resources or to descope some of the features for A1. A little of both will be done before the year is over. With that in mind, let’s take a look at some of the features that are targeted for Alpha One. This is not a complete list.

1. Classes. We want to add the remaining classes. The groundwork is done for most classes and they are ready to start receiving their ability sets, but there are a couple unique functionality class abilities that require extra consideration. I’m looking at you, Ranger and Summoner. It is still possible that A1 will not launch with all classes, but will have at least 9 of the 12.
2. Pets. This goes hand-in-hand with Classes. Pets need to come back into the game in a scalable, sustainable way.
3. NPC Combat Awareness. Short description: better AI.
4. URP and Networking. Big asterisk on this one. Let’s come back to it after the list.
5. Basic Guild functionality.
6. Perception System fleshed out. We’ve seen the basics. Time to add in the skill framework, Tome of Keeping and path(s) of progression.
7. Harvesting and Crafting needs to be fleshed out.
8. Banks to keep all your loots.
9. Further refine Acclimation. More climates and atmospheres to be added as well as more functionality for them.
10. More work needs to be done on climbing. It needs skill-based functionality so you can improve in climbing. Some other considerations are being tweaked along with it.
11. More dispositions need to be added. We’ve seen pyrophobic. Many more are coming.
12. We would like to add the capability to load ability/spell sets so you don’t have to spend a ton of time manually selecting spells & abilities you have already saved to a loadout.
13. The return of swimming.
14. We need an LFG tool for people to find or fill groups.
15. More factions are being worked on and implemented as we speak.
16. There needs to be some sort of onboarding for new players. We don’t want to hold anyone’s hand, but we do need a way to show players how to play, particularly with systems like crafting.
17. More player and NPC models needed.
18. More animations needed.
19. More audio, better audio.
20. We are shooting for complete, non-grayboxed zones for Alpha One to represent a level 1-30 experience. The full zone list will be available closer to A1 launch. Alpha One will not be all of Kingsreach as we had previously set as an early goal. More zones will be added in later Alpha phases, some of which you have already seen in early forms, others will be all-new.

Some items may be missing from this list for a full alpha experience. Please keep in mind that this is only a list for Alpha One. Day one of alpha is very different from the last day of alpha before heading into beta, which will have the remaining features and content we have outlined in the past, such as all of Kingsreach.

Now, let’s go back to that big asterisk of the URP and Networking. Converting the entire project to a Universal Render Pipeline allows for better performance, more advanced shaders and simplicity in creating shaders. The Networking component is in preparation to support the thousands of players we have coming in. The engine is complete and smashingly performant, but it still needs to be integrated. These are BIG tasks. They are going to take our lead programmer’s attention for several months. So right now Kyle and Rob are getting some tooling in place so that the rest of the team can keep working when he goes heads down into the Universal Render Pipeline and Networking stuff.

This means that much of the progress will be in the code, and not stuff we can show on screen. The other work will still be done in the background, but until the URP and Networking are done it will be difficult to show. This primarily affects PA testers and streams. However, there is a ton of content already prepared that we can show and test during that time. Just don’t expect big zone reveals or anything like that until after the URP and Network updates are done.

We will keep you updated from month to month with the status of the above items and more. Once we are certain of a date, we will publish it. We won’t publish it until we are 100% certain of that date. So please don’t expect to see a solid date soon, but do expect to see the progress as we move forward.

lol jk it's not even close

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

lmao I would be so pissed if I read that and I was investing a significant amount of money into this.

shirunei
Sep 7, 2018

I tried to run away. To take the easy way out. I'll live through the suffering. When I die, I want to feel like I did my best.
We need to recode the whole game and make all these bare minimum features that MMO have, then alpha will be cooking! The good thing though is we can reuse most of the unity assets so don't worry.

hobocrunch
Mar 11, 2008

I'm walkin' here
Keep in mind as well their 3D artist hire has been posted since November last year, they also got funding in January so nothing should be holding them back to at least pick up 1-2 more artists, and yet- They hire a developer to help them make a game system that they designed but was too complex to implement? Will he turn around say- "I had to scrap the entire perception system because of systemic failures in design" ?

Sachant
Apr 27, 2011

hobocrunch posted:

Will he turn around say- "I had to scrap the entire perception system because of systemic failures in design" ?
What does your heart tell you?

retpocileh
Oct 15, 2003

quote:

We know with our current team size that this would take some time to complete. So a big part of this year is exploring options on how to finish Alpha One in a reasonable timeframe.

I think I like these sentences the most.

"We will be spending the next year thinking about how we're going to do this thing"

"The year after that, we may even start to write some of those thoughts down"

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

Ehud posted:

Great news, everyone! It sounds like Alpha One is right around the corner!

https://www.pantheonmmo.com/news/producers-letter-march-2021/

lol jk it's not even close

lmao at that “to do” list

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013
I guess I've been following Star Citizen too long because those notes look reasonably well scoped comparatively. They should start selling sword jpegs like real AAAA titles

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Kaysette posted:

lmao at that “to do” list

To Do:
-Make a game

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]
All of you guys are going to look so silly when this game comes out this summer and has the most incredible next-generation MMO content.

Ehud posted:

13. The return of swimming.

hobocrunch
Mar 11, 2008

I'm walkin' here
So they're selling JPEGs on their store now?

https://opensea.io/collection/visionary-realms-pantheon-store

I don't get it. You buy the screenshot?

But I have it here?

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?
Wow they are actually seeing the SC model and adapting to it. What a loving lol

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
Holy:lol:

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
Brad would be so proud.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

hobocrunch posted:

So they're selling JPEGs on their store now?

https://opensea.io/collection/visionary-realms-pantheon-store

I don't get it. You buy the screenshot?

But I have it here?

oh my god

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Why not change the title to something good now that Brad has shuffled off to the Plane of Tranquility.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

All we need to do is figure out the rendering, and then start coding the networking for our MMO, and then we can figure out how to tie all these other systems into it, once those are also made, and then bam, game of the year!

How do you have nothing for the networking part of your loving MMO done? Shouldn't that be like, step zero?

milkman dad
Aug 13, 2007

Zaodai posted:

All we need to do is figure out the rendering, and then start coding the networking for our MMO, and then we can figure out how to tie all these other systems into it, once those are also made, and then bam, game of the year!

How do you have nothing for the networking part of your loving MMO done? Shouldn't that be like, step zero?

So it's not clear to me how contemporary MMO games handle this, but for Everquest emulation there's 3 servers: the login server for authentication, the world server for connecting zones together, and the zone server for handling most of the "game" stuff (interacting with mobs, etc.). It's quite possible they coded the game in such a way so you can interact with a small number of players (<<100) but isn't optimized at all for connecting everything together and interacting.

Hic Sunt Dracones
Apr 3, 2004
Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Groovelord Neato posted:

Why not change the title to something good now that Brad has shuffled off to the Plane of Tranquility.

quote:

This is not a date for Alpha, but a high level scope of work.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

cmdrk posted:

I guess I've been following Star Citizen too long because those notes look reasonably well scoped comparatively. They should start selling sword jpegs like real AAAA titles

Thanks for giving them the idea, now we know they read this thread!

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

milkman dad posted:

So it's not clear to me how contemporary MMO games handle this, but for Everquest emulation there's 3 servers: the login server for authentication, the world server for connecting zones together, and the zone server for handling most of the "game" stuff (interacting with mobs, etc.). It's quite possible they coded the game in such a way so you can interact with a small number of players (<<100) but isn't optimized at all for connecting everything together and interacting.

Sure, and that's how most MMOs work still, give or take. But most crowd-funded scam MMOs take an entirely different approach, which is to assume anything they don't know how to do is easy and you just build your game world and all your mechanics, and then "we'll figure out that networking stuff later". Then they realize the networking part of an MMO is the real bastard, and their game never materializes past a small scale alpha.

That has happened to enough games (and some of them multiple times!) that you'd think by now the scam MMOs would realize they need to hire someone who can do the networking part pretty much straight away because at least they could they could cobble something together that could handle the scale and get more suckers to buy in to a big, mostly empty world that they could then do a hack job of framing up around it.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

Freakazoid_ posted:

Thanks for giving them the idea, now we know they read this thread!

Goddamnit.

milkman dad posted:

yeah, I would speculate that they're just using an off-the-shelf solution (isn't it built in Unity?) like Photon to host just enough players to make Cohh Carnage streams and that's it. You can easily do 4-16 players per "room" (zone) that way. If they're trying to build a seamless world with thousands of players that becomes significantly trickier.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

Groovelord Neato posted:

someone post something funny and i'll change it

hobocrunch
Mar 11, 2008

I'm walkin' here

Kaysette posted:

Just call it Scamtheon: Rise of the NFT

Sachant
Apr 27, 2011

Kaysette posted:

I said come in! posted:

I would be so pissed if ... I was investing a significant amount of money into this.

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

Kaysette posted:

retpocileh posted:

"We will be spending the next year thinking about how we're going to do this thing"

Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen: We will be spending the next year thinking about how we're going to do this thing

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Pantheon: It has risen

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013
Pantheon: URP and Networking. Big asterisk on this one.

Pantheon: The return of swimming

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
brad mcquaid is dead and so is this game

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Pantheon: please don’t expect to see a solid date soon

Pantheon: this is not a date for Alpha, but a high level scope of work

Pantheon: with our current team size this would take some time to complete

Pantheon: progress will be in the code not stuff we can show on screen

straight from the horse's mouth

Ehud fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Apr 1, 2021

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
Pantheon: The Thread To Talk About Ultima Online, EverQuest and Vanguard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobocrunch
Mar 11, 2008

I'm walkin' here
Pantheon: Remember, Brad McQuaid didn't not kill him self.

Too soon?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-wlQa___34

hobocrunch fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Apr 2, 2021