Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

https://twitter.com/Borys_Kit/status/1377719172415680514

trying to pretend I'm surprised with this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

gently caress WB btw.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

"So the SnyderCut was a success, and finally introduced Darkseid and the world of the New Gods to a live action audience...better cancel that movie."

Are they allergic to money? Is this a The Producers situation?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

https://twitter.com/ava/status/1377725452228431873

:rip:

Really wanted to see Barda kick some rear end. Oh well.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

teagone posted:

https://twitter.com/ava/status/1377725452228431873

:rip:

Really wanted to see Barda kick some rear end. Oh well.

Yeah, this is all a slap in the face. gently caress WB. They've learned nothing.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Btw, here's the YouTube link of the new Suicide Squad trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-kvDLkOiXQg

And yes, I know that I say, "gently caress WB" while posting their promo material. I wish I knew how to be better. But I still really want to see this movie.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Apr 1, 2021

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

thrawn527 posted:

"So the SnyderCut was a success, and finally introduced Darkseid and the world of the New Gods to a live action audience...better cancel that movie."
I mean it is worth noting that Whedon cut really eliminates a lot of the big deal New Gods stuff, limiting it to a pretty minor character and parademons. I kind of wonder if New Gods was doing its own thing with the characters with the fresh slate and the SnyderCut complicates that?

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I like that trailer way more than the first one.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

The fools. How are they going to sell truckloads of that Harley Quinn costume? Throwing money away.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Timeless Appeal posted:

I mean it is worth noting that Whedon cut really eliminates a lot of the big deal New Gods stuff, limiting it to a pretty minor character and parademons. I kind of wonder if New Gods was doing its own thing with the characters with the fresh slate and the SnyderCut complicates that?

If Patty Jenkins is right, Duvernay and King's script probably acts as a prequel/sequel to the Snyder Cut, and WB just announced that they're not continuing the Snyder universe.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

The MSJ posted:

If Patty Jenkins is right, Duvernay and King's script probably acts as a prequel/sequel to the Snyder Cut, and WB just announced that they're not continuing the Snyder universe.

The Snyder Universe has been dead for years, so I don’t know why that would affect this prospective movie at all.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

YOLOsubmarine posted:

The Snyder Universe has been dead for years

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Lol

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

thrawn527 posted:

Yeah, this is all a slap in the face. gently caress WB. They've learned nothing.

I know nothing about what was happening with these movies, why is this a slap in the face?

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

The MSJ posted:

Thank Jesus.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Piell posted:

I know nothing about what was happening with these movies, why is this a slap in the face?

One of the bigger issues with WB’s handling of Justice League is that - with Whedon’s collaboration - they deliberately cut out all the black, Asian, and female characters, or significantly reduced their roles.

They’ve now cancelled a Snyder Cut prequel directed by a black woman, and a horror-themed Aquaman story directed by an Asian dude.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

One of the bigger issues with WB’s handling of Justice League is that - with Whedon’s collaboration - they deliberately cut out all the black, Asian, and female characters, or significantly reduced their roles.

They’ve now cancelled a Snyder Cut prequel directed by a black woman, and a horror-themed Aquaman story directed by an Asian dude.

They gave James Gunn a bunch of DC poo poo though. He's white, btw.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Piell posted:

I just mean that she seemed really excited to be making the movie, there was every reason for WB to continue with the New Gods. And that getting a female, minority producer/director in charge, and a fantastic one at that, just to pull the rug out from under her, seems like a really lovely move. And a dumb one, at that.

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Airport Music for Black Folk

Everyone posted:

Need? No. Want? Sure. Plenty of people are fine with being bigoted fucks, but they don't want to think of themselves (or have others think of them) as being bigoted fucks. Hypocrisy is still very much a thing.

That you've cited a scene from a film depicting a powerful black man laughing at other people being "hosed", in service of the 'White Cis Male Privilege' narrative is telling.

The problem is that the difference between zeroing-in on the situation 'created' by Smollett, and making fun of Crenshaw's disabilty is ideology. There will always be acts done by black/gay people that are problematic, as they are obviously people, and consist of more than these particular labels. Yes, their acts would produce readily available excuses for abusers to double down on what they're already doing, but if there weren't 'bad actors' at play in reality, abusers would simply conjure them up in their imagination. At the same time, the hyper-focus on Smollett's actions posits that there should be a world where black/gay people don't commit any problematic actions in a problematic world, and that this would, somehow, substantially improve their lot.

KVeezy3 fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Apr 2, 2021

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

I'm just gonna say that much of the black delegation was super annoyed with Smollett the whole time because we saw he'd diminish the message. My social media all basically were like "Nooooooo, what are you doing" from the start. There were a few true believers but most were smelling something fishy.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Piell posted:

SMg put it extremely succinctly and bitingly, but the narrative that they are pushing through THR is just...bizarre.

So the idea is that this was presumably greenlit after Josstice League (it was announced in 2018) which itself was a failure, but they were trying to salvage what they could at that point while shuffling things around. So then the #ReleaseTheSnyderCut movement happens and they start talking with Zack circa November 2019, leading up to an announcement in May of last year. And then of course they start throwing around terms like "creative cul-de-sac" to describe how ZSJL is definitely a one-off (and we know they are ditching Ray, doing different poo poo with Batman, etc) so now the idea is that 2 weeks after the release of ZSJL they all of a suddenly realize "oh poo poo we can't do Darkseid again so soon", which like, if ZSJL is at all successful it should give more cachet to these characters, and if not, who cares, you get a do-over.

The decision itself is idiotic but they are trying to blame it on a movie that 1) they themselves scrapped and reconfigured, 2) they then made the decision to release it probably in the middle of 2019 (cause there was no way in hell the call to Snyder was on a whim, there had probably been months of discussions the way WB operates), 3) they then assured everyone was a one-off oddity that wouldn't change and of their future plans.

It's petty bullshit, they're punishing POC and trying to blame it on ZSJL as some pathetic misdirect after being dragged in the news for the first quarter of this year.

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

The absolute dishonesty of trying to pin this in some way on ZSJL and fans who wanted it/wanted to restore the snyderverse is really disgusting.
gently caress WB.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

YOLOsubmarine posted:

The Snyder Universe has been dead for years, so I don’t know why that would affect this prospective movie at all.

Because they announced it years ago.

The Snyder Cut had many major story beats as the theatrical cut (except for a few like Silas Stone's fate*) so if other DC directors make some general reference to JL and have it in their headcanon that it's part of the Snyder continuity, WB probably won't notice or care. But New Gods would likely have to acknowledge major story elements that conflict with the theatrical JL like Uxas was the one invading Earth instead of Steppenwolf, and make references to things cut from the movie entirely.

*Likely another reason we won't get a Cyborg movie any time soon.

The only glimmer of hope I can see from this is since New Gods was likely going to tie in to Snyder's future JL plan that they abandoned, it's possible WB is trying to figure out what to do and continuing development on New Gods means they would have to actually treat the Snyder Cut as the official JL movie. Which is possible since the Snyder Cut has far more favorable response from both critics and audiences and it's one of the most streamed movies in the last few months (for the record WB also greenlit another Patty Jenkins WW movie despite critics and viewers being very mild about it because it did very well both in theaters and on HBO Max). It's complicated by WB releasing the Snyder Cut after they had their big investor meeting (which meant the movie's success did not factor into whatever future plans they announced then) and they are rumored to be in a bidding war with Netflix for Snyder (and Netflix is known for handing creators ungodly amounts of money while having minimal influence on what they do with it, like they did with Scorsese and The Irishman).

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

thrawn527 posted:

I haven't found a YouTube link yet because Gunn just posted this, but here.

https://twitter.com/JamesGunn/status/1377712257157636096?s=20

Also I went back and watched this and I know the joke is the cat thing looks disgusting but it is too disgusting, I do not want it, make it go away

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

AFoolAndHisMoney posted:

The absolute dishonesty of trying to pin this in some way on ZSJL and fans who wanted it/wanted to restore the snyderverse is really disgusting.
gently caress WB.

The theory that someone high up in WB has it out for Snyder is getting more and more traction every single day

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

McCloud posted:

The theory that someone high up in WB has it out for Snyder is getting more and more traction every single day

The Not My Superman is coming from inside the building!

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Even under Hamada where DC directors don't get as much meddling with their movies, Patty Jenkins and Cathy Yan still experience some form of interference. Now Duvernay's movie gets cancelled outright.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

The MSJ posted:

Even under Hamada where DC directors don't get as much meddling with their movies, Patty Jenkins and Cathy Yan still experience some form of interference. Now Duvernay's movie gets cancelled outright.

Then gently caress DC/Warner. Marvel/Disney's still open for business and they're fine with women/PoC people. Nothing says Namor has to be white and figure the Eternals will need somebody to write its sequel. If DC/Warner wants to push cool, talented people aside, let them suck on the resulting lack of cool, talented people.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Everyone posted:

Marvel/Disney's still open for business and they're fine with women/PoC people.

Disney treats their employees, regardless of gender or ethnicity, like poo poo. They also have nearly single-handedly destroyed copyright law. There aren't any good guys here.

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

There is no ethical consumption under capitalism.

To truly Restore the Snyderverse we must follow Superman's example and destroy the World Engine.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Everyone posted:

This is sad, man.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Everyone posted:

Then gently caress DC/Warner. Marvel/Disney's still open for business and they're fine with women/PoC people. Nothing says Namor has to be white and figure the Eternals will need somebody to write its sequel. If DC/Warner wants to push cool, talented people aside, let them suck on the resulting lack of cool, talented people.

Disney is possibly the worst compay for this. They will use your color, gender, or sexuality to make a ton of money and not let you actually fully express it as you wish from your position. You're basically selling out for the paycheck.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Everyone posted:

https://i.imgur.com/acJA8jv.mp4

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Everyone posted:

I'm absolutely behind "gently caress DC/Warner and their racist asses" sentiment, but let's not heap accolades on MCU/Disney for doing less than the bare minimum here. Their big tentpole black superhero movie had awful politics, and Boyega and Mackie both spoke out about the racist behaviours of the company.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

friendly reminder that jim starlin was paid more in royalties for two scenes of character appearance loosely based on a villain he created named KGBeast, where the characters name was not even mentioned, than marvel paid him for thanos being used in the entirety of the MCU

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo
Not heaping accolades on anyone. That said, so far Falcon and the Winter Soldier seems to be doing some interesting things with the American black experience that usually wouldn't be in a super-hero flick.

And I admit that right this second I'm not in a good head-space for "Screw WB" because I just finished watching Godzilla vs. Kong and FLoved it.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Everyone posted:

Holy poo poo lol.

Violator
May 15, 2003

If Netflix is willing to pay $400 million for Knives Out 2 and 3, I say Snyder should just go there and make whatever the hell he wants with big rear end budgets.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Violator posted:

If Netflix is willing to pay $400 million for Knives Out 2 and 3, I say Snyder should just go there and make whatever the hell he wants with big rear end budgets.

:hmmyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Violator posted:

It is too bad Amazon is doing the Invincible animated series. Would have been sweet to see a live action Snyder version of that for netflix.