Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!

indigi posted:

wait really? I watched Skull Island and the first Godzilla and I don’t remember hollow earth stuff

they go there in king of the monsters and nuke atantis

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

A Bridge Too Far also does this and its incredible

Like, The Expendables tried to make it into their gimmick but Dirty Dozen was doing that decades earlier

The Longest Day as well, and that had a really early Sean Connery in it, but it's also stacked. As the old Studio System imploded through the late 60s their solution was make big epic movies with star studded casts.

We can't evwn get that with the new Studio System now it's just "epic" animated movies with an art direction a PS3/360 era FPS

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Absent any other context to link it to white supremacy, it's just as likely that the 88 was slipped in as a wink to Chinese audiences, because 8 is a lucky number there and 88 is a pretty common "lucky number"

Considering how much Hollywood has been trying to make inroads in the Chinese market, I think that's a more likely explanation (unless, again, there's something else besides the 88%)

or they could just have chosen a random number that looked nice. feels like a huge leap to go from 88 to the nazi number

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

babypolis posted:

or they could just have chosen a random number that looked nice. feels like a huge leap to go from 88 to the nazi number

yes, that's the most likely possibility

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

KomradeX posted:

The Longest Day as well, and that had a really early Sean Connery in it, but it's also stacked. As the old Studio System imploded through the late 60s their solution was make big epic movies with star studded casts.

We can't evwn get that with the new Studio System now it's just "epic" animated movies with an art direction a PS3/360 era FPS

last night i was watching some godawful romantic comedy starring hugh grant and sandra bullock, one of those movies where they clearly thought "hey lets just get these big name starts to sign up and well figure out the rest later" and it struck me how weird it is that this kind of thing just doesnt exist anymore, 20 years later. or like those horrible holiday movies where they would get a billion big name stars in some lovely love actually style romantic comedy. that poo poo is just dead, no one make those kind of star vehicles anymore. its all about what dumbass property from 60 years ago you are resurrecting this time around

oh also donald trump had a scene in the movie for some reason

babypolis has issued a correction as of 21:14 on Apr 1, 2021

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Tricky D posted:

they go there in king of the monsters and nuke atantis

lol what in the world. maybe I better see it

babypolis posted:

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

yes, that's the most likely possibility

I'd typically agree but given how noted and focus-grouped these movies are and how visual effects are overseen I'd bet that 88 was a deliberate decision (for the luckiness association, certainly not Nazi poo poo)

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Serf posted:

i watched the dirty dozen for the first time in like fifteen years last night and what struck me this time is that it has an insanely stacked cast. lee marvin, charles bronson, telly savalas, donald sutherland, ernest borgnine, john cassavetes, etc. just loving stars from top to bottom. also hearing charles bronson speak german is freaky after seeing him in all the death wish movies, that dude can barely speak english and it owns. also i read up on critical response to the movie at the time and it was all like "this movie is so violent" and its literally like, man get shot and grabs his stomach to show it, like an old western lol. not a squib or blood pack to be found. roger ebert whined about it a lot which was pretty funny but he did sarcastically call for more sex in movies, so it balances out

Given the movies Roger Ebert wrote when given the chance, I don't think his calls for more sex in movies were sarcastic.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

babypolis posted:

sir or madam, this is cspam youre posting in

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

babypolis posted:

last night i was watching some godawful romantic comedy starring hugh grant and sandra bullock, one of those movies where they clearly thought "hey lets just get these big name starts to sign up and well figure out the rest later" and it struck me how weird it is that this kind of thing just doesnt exist anymore, 20 years later. or like those horrible holiday movies where they would get a billion big name stars in some lovely love actually style romantic comedy. that poo poo is just dead, no one make those kind of star vehicles anymore. its all about what dumbass property from 60 years ago you are resurrecting this time around

going to assume a shooting location was on one of his properties

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

vyelkin posted:

Given the movies Roger Ebert wrote when given the chance, I don't think his calls for more sex in movies were sarcastic.

i always enjoyed his review of the wonderful classic film Caligula

quote:

"Caligula" is sickening, utterly worthless, shameful trash. If it is not the worst film I have ever seen, that makes it all the more shameful: People with talent allowed themselves to participate in this travesty. Disgusted and unspeakably depressed, I walked out of the film after two hours of its 170-minute length. That was on Saturday night, as a line of hundreds of people stretched down Lincoln Ave., waiting to pay $7.50 apiece to become eyewitnesses to shame.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

babypolis posted:

I think the all women cast Ocean's movie might have been the last one do to look at all these stars, and that was like 2 years ago.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Laterite posted:

going to assume a shooting location was on one of his properties

in the movie hugh grant is some kind of rich developer, and its framed as if him and donald trump have known each other for a while, and implying hes now finally doing well enough to go toe to toe with THE BIG GUYS like donald, so it might actually been in the script

babypolis has issued a correction as of 21:42 on Apr 1, 2021

Serf
May 5, 2011

vyelkin posted:

maybe i phrased it poorly, but in this passage he's sarcastically calling for censorship of sex, which i interpreted to mean he wanted more

quote:

If you have to censor, stick to censoring sex, I say. Censor out Hayley Mills' bare bottom, because the human body is evil and it's a sin to look at it. But leave in the mutilation, leave in the sadism, and by all means leave in the human beings burning to death. It's not obscene as long as they burn to death with their clothes on.

at no point does the dirty dozen show people burning to death, he's making that bit up. he comments on some logical inconsistencies in the movie, questioning why the dozen go to great lengths to make sure the nazis all get killed and its like they were nazi officers dude, why do you give a poo poo if they get sadistically killed

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1377720141329403911

Bootleg Trunks
Jun 12, 2020

Who's the cowboy god

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

She's an awful director

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

UGH THIS SUCKS poo poo

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
oh no, what will we do without another comic book property movie series

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
cancel culture strikes again

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

the New Gods are Jack Kirby madness and I love it. Ava could have done a great job with them

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Bootleg Trunks posted:

Who's the cowboy god

https://dc.fandom.com/wiki/Serifan_(New_Earth)

Bootleg Trunks
Jun 12, 2020

Her wrinkle in time movie was awful

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

KomradeX posted:

I watched Avengers: Endgame for the first time, and the end battle felt like it was mostly inspired by Warcraft 3 cinematics.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

even the coding doesn't want people to click this

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Atrocious Joe posted:

I watched Avengers: Endgame for the first time, and the end battle felt like it was mostly inspired by Warcraft 3 cinematics.

Videogames wanted to be like movies for so long and now a bunch of movies feel like videogames. We took the Spiderman model from the videogame, put a skin to be this movies costume on him had it jump around and there's your fight scene.

If these are just going to be animated movies the least they can do is be like Spiderverse and be colorful, and have an interesting art direction. Like only Thor Ragnarok had a distinct art direction from the rest of the Marvel movies and no matter how much some people praise Snyder for having an art direction, it's crap because its what if Frank Miller made a 360 game

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Bootleg Trunks posted:

Her wrinkle in time movie was awful

Yeah Ive been expecting this ever since Wrinkle In Time sucked

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

KomradeX posted:

Videogames wanted to be like movies for so long and now a bunch of movies feel like videogames. We took the Spiderman model from the videogame, put a skin to be this movies costume on him had it jump around and there's your fight scene.

If these are just going to be animated movies the least they can do is be like Spiderverse and be colorful, and have an interesting art direction. Like only Thor Ragnarok had a distinct art direction from the rest of the Marvel movies and no matter how much some people praise Snyder for having an art direction, it's crap because its what if Frank Miller made a 360 game

death stranding, red dead 2 and cyberpunk all have better graphics than any superhero movie

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

KomradeX posted:

Spider-Man is a weird example for this argument cause the last movie had stunning art direction and choreography. but in general I agree, it’s the only Marvel movie I’d say anything like that about (except maybe the one scene in Doctor Strange where he goes on that LSD trip thing)

Bootleg Trunks
Jun 12, 2020

Was raya and the last dragon bad

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

indigi posted:

Spider-Man is a weird example for this argument cause the last movie had stunning art direction and choreography. but in general I agree, it’s the only Marvel movie I’d say anything like that about (except maybe the one scene in Doctor Strange where he goes on that LSD trip thing)

The under all point outs that large stretches of these movies are just cartoons super imposed on a gif, cut with bits of the actual actors doing reactions. I chose spiderman cause those ps4 games were good

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011
the mandalorian was extremely video game-y too, complete with armor upgrades, genre switches in each episode/level, and mando continually getting new weapons

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Bootleg Trunks posted:

Was raya and the last dragon bad

it was a tiny bit uncanny-valley compared to a pixar movie. just a lil stilted or blocky animation. story is okay. i think the dragon's personality wasn't big enough tbh; i expected better jokes. she's no genie from aladdin

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

are there good songs?

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Aglet56 posted:

the mandalorian was extremely video game-y too, complete with armor upgrades, genre switches in each episode/level, and mando continually getting new weapons

yeah it is rear end. no plot just bullshit

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

its stretching the definition of pop culture but seeing as how the international transgender day of visibility passed us by id feel remiss if i shared this artist with my family but not my posting pals

https://believermag.com/a-scout-is/

on her website i liked staff activities the most good old fashioned weird and gross puberty socialization

https://madelinemiyun.com

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

indigi posted:

the New Gods are Jack Kirby madness and I love it. Ava could have done a great job with them

Totally beautiful and totally boring Kirby. I don’t care how amazing the details of the panels are when you’re high but if Kommandi and OMAC are more interesting than just loving hang it up.

Then again if I had a better weed hookup and less of a life I might like New Gods, given that I read the entire run of OMAC.

8 issues I guess I don’t even like comics lol.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

other people's stories are all better than Kirby's, that's why I was looking forward to the movies

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

indigi posted:

are there good songs?

no i expected some but there weren't any

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
who cares if the new gods are jack kirby as gently caress. snyder would turn it into some weird jesus horseshit or wb will turn it into mcu horseshit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Aglet56 posted:

The fight against the Krayt Dragon was out of KOTOR. I didn't mind the videogamey elements of it, Star Wars is goofy, also I'm a huge mark for Star Wars so my opinion Isn't exactly balanced