Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread

Gologle posted:

I'm glad that the thread has become overall more positive lately as people begin to get vaccinated, so I don't want to bring people down, but 2020 shifted my internal scale of whether humans are good or garbage very firmly into the "absolute garbage holy poo poo" area. All around me people are still, and have been for months, treating life as if everything is back to normal, hey, just wear a mask and you're practically immune! Restaurants having people dine in and crowd together, downtown areas still packed, beaches full of people, gently caress. You can't tell me all of those people are already vaccinated, it's the same people and types of people that have been doing this poo poo for months and months as death number go...UP! ALWAYS UP!

I gave up my life for a year! I quit my job! I watched my bank account slowly trickle down to almost nothing! And thanks to our previous government's callousness I was still forced to find a job in the middle of a rising tide of cases back in December. Even now I still stay indoors if at all possible and if I desperately need to go outside I make sure to walk in places very few other people go, and I'm always trying to play it as safe as I could. I lost friends from this, both literally, as in they were old and DIED, or figuratively lost due to not taking it seriously and I chose to sever contact. And seeing all these people around me live life like normal, talk about going out on the weekends, talk about visiting the mall, talk about going on with their worthless lives I just get so loving pissed. It's like nobody cares that over 500 THOUSAND people died, and every day thousands more pass away, and thousands more are afflicted with long term health conditions if they do make it.

I don't want to feel this hate for people, I want to go back to mostly thinking humans were alright, and reading this thread lately has helped lift my mood, but gently caress. No places anywhere near me are accepting appointments, I'm not yet eligible anyway if they did, and next week when I will be eligible I guarantee appointments are going to be even harder to make. And even after I get the vaccine I still have to deal with the reality that the people around me, vaccine or no, just don't and haven't given the slightest poo poo about their fellow man.
You're right people suck. Trump being elected was one of the biggest shocks of my life and now seeing how America that's all I know that's where I live is absolutely full of evil stupid people one or the other or both

It's terribly discouraging. A lot of us have been careful someone earlier posted this really great post about how the ones that are being careful or respectful of others they're the ones staying inside we don't see them. There is a big number of people that were careful and are still being careful. After I'm fully vaccinated those are the people I'm going to try to meet. We all need hugs boy I am so tired of sitting at home in my room

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

Gologle posted:

I'm glad that the thread has become overall more positive lately as people begin to get vaccinated, so I don't want to bring people down, but 2020 shifted my internal scale of whether humans are good or garbage very firmly into the "absolute garbage holy poo poo" area. All around me people are still, and have been for months, treating life as if everything is back to normal, hey, just wear a mask and you're practically immune! Restaurants having people dine in and crowd together, downtown areas still packed, beaches full of people, gently caress. You can't tell me all of those people are already vaccinated, it's the same people and types of people that have been doing this poo poo for months and months as death number go...UP! ALWAYS UP!

I gave up my life for a year! I quit my job! I watched my bank account slowly trickle down to almost nothing! And thanks to our previous government's callousness I was still forced to find a job in the middle of a rising tide of cases back in December. Even now I still stay indoors if at all possible and if I desperately need to go outside I make sure to walk in places very few other people go, and I'm always trying to play it as safe as I could. I lost friends from this, both literally, as in they were old and DIED, or figuratively lost due to not taking it seriously and I chose to sever contact. And seeing all these people around me live life like normal, talk about going out on the weekends, talk about visiting the mall, talk about going on with their worthless lives I just get so loving pissed. It's like nobody cares that over 500 THOUSAND people died, and every day thousands more pass away, and thousands more are afflicted with long term health conditions if they do make it.

I don't want to feel this hate for people, I want to go back to mostly thinking humans were alright, and reading this thread lately has helped lift my mood, but gently caress. No places anywhere near me are accepting appointments, I'm not yet eligible anyway if they did, and next week when I will be eligible I guarantee appointments are going to be even harder to make. And even after I get the vaccine I still have to deal with the reality that the people around me, vaccine or no, just don't and haven't given the slightest poo poo about their fellow man.

I get and agree with this 100% but you dont need to hate, you know these people are wrong, you know they probably wont listen, but try try even to convince one person to be better, even if you dont you will have done a million times more good than hate will. This is a lesson i am terrible at but id like to get better at it.

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

Gologle posted:

I posted this a few months ago, but most of it still applies. Hopefully this helps a little, and yes, many a day goes by that I just want to yell at people, but I know it won’t help. Reframing my thoughts to more positive and understanding ones helps me feel at least a little bit better.

We’ve fought this over a year now, we can fight a little bit more. Look at all the goons getting vaccinations here. We’re very close.

And use this thread to share. The people here will provide the moral support needed. We’re all in this together.

Kragger99 posted:

There’s a few ways I help deal with what your describing above:
1. YOU are NOT alone. There are millions if not billions of people doing what you are, making the right decisions. You never see them, because they rarely go out of their homes. You are mostly seeing the people that don’t. If you are not a front line/essential service worker, you are being a hero of sorts by doing the right things and protecting others with your actions.

2. Humans default to their “fight or flight” systems when facing a threat.
You can’t run from something you can’t see, so I feel the people that fall into the flight grouping just try to ignore it all, and tell themselves it’s not a threat, or “it’s not that bad”. The threat is so great to their personal freedoms that they take (possible unconsciously) the selfish route.

People that fall into the fight category (you and me), choose to educate themselves, choose to search out the facts, choose to isolate, and when we do go out (groceries/medicine/forced to go to work) we choose to wear a mask, social distance, make indoor shopping visits as short as possible, wash our hands, etc. We are choosing to protect ourselves and others. WE are the compassionate ones.

3. I also tell myself this everyday:
Would I feel worse than I do right now if I let my guard down, even a little, and got sick/put others at risk? The answer is always a resounding YES. So I take pride in the right decisions I choose to make.

It’s hard to make the right choices as we can’t see the impact we’re making, because it’s drowned out by all the people making poor decisions mainly because their brain tells them to as part of their built in threat response system.

I don’t know you at all, but I respect you, and applaud your decision to make the right choices. Many other people share in this as well. You are one of the good ones, and please keep up the fight. You are not alone, and many people WILL benefit from your correct decisions, even if they don’t realize it.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
i got my first dose (pfizer) last month and can get my second dose on the 5th, but i'm going to be out of state for work until the 16th. i will be in NW arkansas, should i try to get my second dose there or wait until i get back home?

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Got my second Moderna earlier and it's like the first dose on steroids already. I had a sore arm and chills by hour 5.

AnnoyBot
May 28, 2001

Alan Smithee posted:

who am I meg loving griffin?

The one I found actually came from a local reddit thread, it's a county site not a drug store. Thanks for nothing, Meg.

(I kid, thanks for real)

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Gologle posted:

I think a lot of that is regional. People here started being pretty good around July of last year, and now it is rare to see anyone without a mask. Go a couple hours south and it is a different story, but around here people have for the most part been prosocial and careful.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Why are people laminating their vaccine paper

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Mu Zeta posted:

Because you may need to prove your vaccinated status for travel etc.
Australian ones are going to be digital that you can access from your smartphone but they’ll do a paper copy too for people that don’t have one.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I hope we in the US gets a new vaccine passport because the one they gave me is an inconvenient size that doesn't fit in a wallet. Make it digital.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
is there like a big pokemon card holder i can put it in

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

The armbands are on their way

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Mu Zeta posted:

I hope we in the US gets a new vaccine passport because the one they gave me is an inconvenient size that doesn't fit in a wallet. Make it digital.

Yeah, it’s stupidly huge and mostly empty, I don’t get why it’s not wallet sized.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I took a picture of mine so at least I have a digital copy on my phone.

The Hambulance
Apr 19, 2011

:20bux:

ASK ME ABOUT MY AWESOME STARTUP IDEA

Pillbug
I hope the US starts using a better, more secure vaccination card. I’ve already heard idiots talking about getting fake ones.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Mu Zeta posted:

I bought some of those plastic badge holders from amazon to put it in there and keep it safe.

I also recommend the other poster saying take a picture of it, and you holding it.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I’m going to take a selfie with my card and the person holding a needle when I get the second shot.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Mu Zeta posted:

Okay seriously what is up with the size of the card? Credit cards and IDs have been a pretty standardized size for a fuckin long time now. I'm pretty sure they could fit all the relevant information on something that size.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Mu Zeta posted:

Free Dunkin' Donuts for the rest of the year if you show your card

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I think a lot of that is regional. People here started being pretty good around July of last year, and now it is rare to see anyone without a mask. Go a couple hours south and it is a different story, but around here people have for the most part been prosocial and careful.
Interestingly, I see masks in both blue and red areas these days. I live in an ultra-blue area and have seen...1?...person without a mask inside a store since last summer. Wifezwang and I have also driven through deep red areas a few hours away in various directions and everyone was wearing there too. Though, I'll grant, a lot more of them had their noses sticking out.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

greazeball posted:

No, it's going to be microchips and therefore the Mark of the Beast. My evangelical inlaws are super pumped, really excited for Revelations to start, any minute now.

CarlosTheDwarf
Jun 1, 2001
Up shit creek.
This massive JnJ fuckup (and previous Astrazeneca messup) shows why we can't just hand the formula over to 3rd world countries with no experience making vaccines. At least the error was caught and the vaccines discarded. If this error occurs in some super corrupt country they probably just vaccinate people with it anyway, which could be devastating in a number of ways.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

hakimashou posted:

Who want 2 get rich?

We start a gig economy Start Up paying people 20 bux* to sit at their computer and find people vaccine appointments and sign them up, charge the customer 200 bux

vaccinatr? vacseen? vaxn8 ? vacntr?

* up to 20 bux

Jabbr.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

greazeball posted:

Wait until they start giving out tattoos to determine who got the Bill Gates/ Lizard people mind control shot "vaccine".

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

CarlosTheDwarf posted:

This massive JnJ fuckup (and previous Astrazeneca messup) shows why we can't just hand the formula over to 3rd world countries with no experience making vaccines. At least the error was caught and the vaccines discarded. If this error occurs in some super corrupt country they probably just vaccinate people with it anyway, which could be devastating in a number of ways.

:lol: like the US wouldn't if they wouldn't get caught

god drat this is imperialistthink

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

butt dickus posted:

i got my first dose (pfizer) last month and can get my second dose on the 5th, but i'm going to be out of state for work until the 16th. i will be in NW arkansas, should i try to get my second dose there or wait until i get back home?

Limited data exists on efficacy after extending the dosing window per the CDC. I would try your hardest to get it in Arkansas. https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/covid-19/info-by-product/clinical-considerations.html

CarlosTheDwarf
Jun 1, 2001
Up shit creek.

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

:lol: like the US wouldn't if they wouldn't get caught

god drat this is imperialistthink

who caught the error here? I don't think it was the government.

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!
The day after I got the second shot of Moderna, I felt like I had a hangover without a headache, about four some odd hours on I'm just sore as hell everywhere.

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Intellectual
AI Enthusiast

learnincurve posted:

I’m going to take a selfie with my card and the person holding a needle when I get the second shot.

Take a video too!

Z - Shot baby!

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/1378003632101203971?s=19

Open Biden

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

wesleywillis posted:

Wait until they start giving out tattoos to determine who got the Bill Gates/ Lizard people mind control shot "vaccine".

They would have to find space on my skin, checkmate Microsoft

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Intellectual
AI Enthusiast

smoobles posted:

Open Biden

https://i.imgur.com/ZIR97Nc.mp4

"I love it!"

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

They want that summer travel money and then to shove kids back in schools come september

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug
This is a simple question that probably has a complex answer: Why do some people still contract Covid-19 after being fully vaccinated? Is this because there's something wrong with their immune system, or something wrong with how their body metabolizes the vaccine, or something "imperfect" about the vaccine itself, in terms of being a proxy for the live virus?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Buff Hardback posted:

Limited data exists on efficacy after extending the dosing window per the CDC. I would try your hardest to get it in Arkansas. https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/covid-19/info-by-product/clinical-considerations.html
thank you for this. i will try to get it there, but i did see it says the second dose can be administered up to six weeks after the first, and when i get back it'll be at just under 5. i'll be working 10-12 hour days inside a processing plant as part of the first wave of some major changes, and it's just gonna be me, so i'm not exactly thrilled at the prospect of doing that while feeling the effects of the vaccine

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Number_6 posted:

This is a simple question that probably has a complex answer: Why do some people still contract Covid-19 after being fully vaccinated? Is this because there's something wrong with their immune system, or something wrong with how their body metabolizes the vaccine, or something "imperfect" about the vaccine itself, in terms of being a proxy for the live virus?

No vaccine is 100% effective. That's basically it. This is very, very effective. Right now, out of every 100 people in the US, 10 will have covid. Out of every 100 fully vaccinated, you're looking at more like 2-3.

Of the 10 unvaccinated, 2-5 will have severe symptoms and 1 or 2 have a pretty decent chance of dying.

It's like 1 out of 1000 likely to get severe symptoms (so 1/10th of a person) if you're fully vaccinated.

This isn't necessarily about destroying this thing entirely, it's about making it laughable and like a common cold as we work to get rid of it.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
The problem is we don’t know for sure when “fully vaccinated” is because it’s all still so new, we know three weeks after the first shot your chances of getting the rona start to go down and that the second shot should give you full Immunity, but they need to keep testing and testing to see if it’s permanent or if it runs out.

U.K. has announced that they will have everyone aged 15 and older vaccinated by September and then we will be starting all over again with a booster shot with any and every new variant factored into it.

Involuntary Sparkle
Aug 12, 2004

Chemo-kitties can have “accidents” too!

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

No vaccine is 100% effective. That's basically it. This is very, very effective. Right now, out of every 100 people in the US, 10 will have covid. Out of every 100 fully vaccinated, you're looking at more like 2-3.

Of the 10 unvaccinated, 2-5 will have severe symptoms and 1 or 2 have a pretty decent chance of dying.

It's like 1 out of 1000 likely to get severe symptoms (so 1/10th of a person) if you're fully vaccinated.

This isn't necessarily about destroying this thing entirely, it's about making it laughable and like a common cold as we work to get rid of it.

I think they're just asking for vaccine methods of failure though, out of curiosity.

I am not trained in the field myself, but found this doing a Google search, this paper has an interesting and potentially relevant paragraph

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4962729/

quote:

The general definition of vaccination failure is based on 2 aspects; vaccine-related and host-related factors. While inadequacies of the vaccine (such as incomplete attenuation, incorrect immunisation route or schedule, or failures in delivery due to interruption of the cold chain) are reasons for vaccine failures that can be logistically overcome, host-related factors for non-responsiveness (associated with the immune and health status, age, or genetic factors) are more difficult to define and underlying mechanisms of vaccine failure are largely unexamined or unknown.

The term non-responsiveness or primary vaccination failure is currently described by the inability of the host/vaccinee to mount sufficient protective antibody responses after primary or booster vaccination. This phenomenon affects about 2–10% of vaccinated healthy individuals1-4 but the immunological background, the clinical consequences, or the question of whether vaccine failure is antigen-specific or a general phenomenon are largely unknown.

naem
May 29, 2011

well I’m preregistered

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Gologle posted:

I'm glad that the thread has become overall more positive lately as people begin to get vaccinated, so I don't want to bring people down, but 2020 shifted my internal scale of whether humans are good or garbage very firmly into the "absolute garbage holy poo poo" area.

I just try to help the kids. Someone in the trump thread pointed out that being raised with a machismo-heavy lack-of-human-compassion style explains so much of the hatred of compassion and despising of working together for everyone's safety and needing to demonstrate being an rear end in a top hat (like actively ranting against a simple mask). So I figure my best bet is to show the kids that, hey, caring about others is good.

We used to give out popcorn at my kids' school, and have assemblies celebrating students who showed teamwork, and a whole buncha other stuff. Now that it's looking like we are getting close to maybe having in-person events in the fall, I realize there are gonna be a ton of kids who didn't have any values reinforced other than "tough it out" for an entire year of isolation. I gotta try to reach them before they hit middle school. Because, as we all know, middle school isn't going to soften up anyone.

https://www.publicservicedegrees.org/volunteering/with-kids/