Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

The United States posted:

Also instead of the usual 320x240 or 640x480 3.5" LCD screen, it has an insane 1600x1440 resolution so that any system can look good with even multiple scaling and it can even do fancy stuff like simulate LCD grid patterns.

The price is extremely high but that screen is what you're paying for.
Sorta related there's a very nice looking new GBC display replacement kit that does the simulated LCD grid thing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixtSuoV7hME&t=815s

Also it's bigger than the stock display, which looks way less bad and stupid than the older mods that had smaller screens + giant bezels. Kinda makes it seem like a GBC XL revision from an alternate timeline where the platform stuck around for another year or two.

e. Thought I was in the retro megathread, still think this mod is neat tho

Pretty good fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Apr 2, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
some princesses will always insist they can feel the pea

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

bowmore posted:

One of the main cool things about the Analogue system is that it uses hardware level emulation instead of software based

I’ve been doing more reading on these and I’m starting to dig the concept.

I’ll probably add a section to the OP on hardware emulation.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Probably want to throw a link to the MiSTer thread in there too, then.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3905256

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Got another 351V today, can confirm that cloning both SD cards totally clones the system, which means keeping a total backup is way easier than backing up the Retroid Pocket 2. I now have a compressed folder for each card tucked away for if I mess up.

Also Anbernic does a great job of packing these. The outer box got fuuuucked up between China and here but the console’s box was neatly secured in a huge roll of bubble wrap. This thing could’ve floated here and come out ok.

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

Rolo posted:

Got another 351V today, can confirm that cloning both SD cards totally clones the system, which means keeping a total backup is way easier than backing up the Retroid Pocket 2. I now have a compressed folder for each card tucked away for if I mess up.

Oh, yeah, it runs entirely off the SD cards, no inherent firmware.

I am in love with this thing. Beta 5 of Retro Arena is now out at https://techtoytinker.com/handheld-corner. Other than N64, everything runs like a dream. There's some issue with standalone Mupen he's still trying to get worked out, so it's using the comparatively slow core in Retroarch. If N64 is important to you stick with stock, but for everything else, it's fantastic.

zzMisc fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Apr 5, 2021

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I've been lurking this thread for months and just sorta assumed the Analogue devices were fundamentally not what this thread was about since it never came up previously, but I also snagged a pocket preorder when they went live and am very excited to get it

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Countblanc posted:

I've been lurking this thread for months and just sorta assumed the Analogue devices were fundamentally not what this thread was about since it never came up previously, but I also snagged a pocket preorder when they went live and am very excited to get it

I definitely wouldn’t say that’s the case it’s just the analogue devices are a lot harder to get.

I’d love to get one but it’s a bit out of my impulse range and also impossible to get at this point lol.

If they ever release more and they aren’t instantly sold out (lol they will be) I’d take a hard look at getting one.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Does scraping usually take forever? Finally committing to cleaning up my library and it’s taking like 3 minutes a rom.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Rolo posted:

Does scraping usually take forever? Finally committing to cleaning up my library and it’s taking like 3 minutes a rom.

are you scraping on your handheld? if so, the default scraper is screenscraper.fr which is insanely slow if you don't create an account and log into it on the device. it's still pretty slow even after logging in and the matching is finicky. i had more luck switching the scraper to "TheGamesDB," which is both faster and better at finding inexact title matches

Weedle
May 31, 2006

the developer of arkos has announced that he is so fed up with the weird controller handling on the 351 series that he will no longer be supporting it. he's going to release a final image sometime soon but then that's it. it already works well enough that i'll keep using it for now but i guess i'll keep an eye on whether 351elec adds anything cool in the future

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Weedle posted:

are you scraping on your handheld? if so, the default scraper is screenscraper.fr which is insanely slow if you don't create an account and log into it on the device. it's still pretty slow even after logging in and the matching is finicky. i had more luck switching the scraper to "TheGamesDB," which is both faster and better at finding inexact title matches

Oh solid I’ll poke around. I’ve been using screenscraper.fr with credentials. Also I wish retro achievements worked offline, kinda ruins it for me that I can’t use it without internet.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

One annoying thing about Analogue is, why not just open up orders for a week or whatever and then deliver them when they’re ready? They’ve already delayed a year so schedule isn’t critical.

You’ll get price breaks for saying “actually we need 100K instead of 10K” etc.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Chemmy posted:

One annoying thing about Analogue is, why not just open up orders for a week or whatever and then deliver them when they’re ready? They’ve already delayed a year so schedule isn’t critical.

I don't understand this either. Why not do a pre-order and make exactly as many as people are willing to buy? All I can think of is that ala-Limited Run Games, artificial scarcity is the long-term business plan. Seems to me like you would still encourage people to buy immediately (as opposed to holding out because they know the product will always be available) by having a cut-off date on the pre-order instead.

Maybe the suppliers they work with can only make so many in a given period of time no matter what, and they don't want to always be working on fulfilling orders somebody made three years ago?

Imagined fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Apr 6, 2021

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Chemmy posted:

I agree with this and just another reason I’m annoyed with the whole thing.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Limited Run Games, for the most part, has shifted to a four week open preorder model themselves.

Also I wouldn't say they do "artificial scarcity." Most of thier releases wouldn't have even have physical releases in the first place if they didn't make them. I don't know why people get so weird about them.

Speaking of companies people get weird about, I agree they should move to an open preorder model. They've been around long enough and have enough prestige. They even did do it last year with the NT Noir.

I have a Pocket preordered and was super bummed when the delay was announced. But it wasn't fully unexpected with how hosed the supply chain was even before the Ever Given incident. I would like to see some actual footage of the Pocket being played by a human being though. I think they've only shown renders so far. I'd be more concerned if it were a company like Polymega or whatever but Analogue has delivered on everything in the past and it's all been too notch quality. So I guess I just gotta be patient.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Detective No. 27 posted:

I would like to see some actual footage of the Pocket being played by a human being though. I think they've only shown renders so far. I'd be more concerned if it were a company like Polymega or whatever but Analogue has delivered on everything in the past and it's all been too notch quality. So I guess I just gotta be patient.

Oh yeah! That was my other issue with the whole thing.

Like I’m sure the product is solid but give me something!

Lots of other products I’ve preordered have gotten units into hands to show off.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010

Chemmy posted:

I'd guess they're content with whomever does the manufacturing currently, and picking someone else to spit out a high volume is a huge unknown. If the qualify went down they'd have pissed off everyone.

Just a guess.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Weedle posted:

Turns out when I made my account with screenscraper it didn’t actually go through. Went to finish scraping this morning and it told me there’s no unregistered spots yet. Remade the account, checked my credentials, and now it’s scraping at like 10x the speed.

If anyone makes an account with them, I’d suggest logging out and back in to make sure you’re good.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

falz posted:

I'd guess they're content with whomever does the manufacturing currently, and picking someone else to spit out a high volume is a huge unknown. If the qualify went down they'd have pissed off everyone.

Just a guess.

It's probably they have a limited number of manufacturing plants available that would do it for the cost they want, and even in normal times they probably don't know how much floor time they can get and when. For the quantity they're targeting the plants will only give them time between larger orders, which might not be much time.

That's in normal times. All electronic manufacturing is screwed up royally right now.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

So if you wanted a emulation machine to hook up to your TV this seems like your best best for sub $100.

https://youtu.be/cUDMYOboDbM

Pretty painless all in all.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
I love that guy's endless "let's take an old dell/mini pc/netbook and run batocera on it" videos :allears:

Speaking of which,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCkkZ-GDlfE

bartlebee
Nov 5, 2008
For the retroid pocket 2 and retroid pocket 2: funtastic collection, is the only difference the new colors? If so I might just impulse buy one tonight.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

I love that guy's endless "let's take an old dell/mini pc/netbook and run batocera on it" videos :allears:

Speaking of which,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCkkZ-GDlfE

The one issue I have with this is still the lack of a second stick, though the fact that you can apparently use an external controller with it does potentially mitigate some of those concerns, so might have to get one in the near future if my finances improve

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Has anybody tried multiplayer on any of these? What's better, local or online?

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

bartlebee posted:

For the retroid pocket 2 and retroid pocket 2: funtastic collection, is the only difference the new colors? If so I might just impulse buy one tonight.

99.999999% sure it’s just the color. I’m jealous, I like my 351V but all the color options are just ok.

Half of me wants to get this screen/button mod:

Rolo fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Apr 8, 2021

bartlebee
Nov 5, 2008

Rolo posted:

99.999999% sure it’s just the color. I’m jealous, I like my 351V but all the color options are just ok.

Half of me wants to get this screen/button mod:

This was apparently all the confirmation I needed, went ahead and just ordered the grape color one. Thank you!

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

bartlebee posted:

The retroid pocket 2s are all the same hardware, and they're good at providing different nostalgic colors, but besides those colors is there a reason you still want one?

flavor.flv posted:

Has anybody tried multiplayer on any of these? What's better, local or online?
Any of them that have wifi built in and run a netplay supporting version of retroarch (which has had it built in for a while) should support both scenarios, yes, but I'm going to guess that scenario 1) would require multiple people having these in proximity of each other and 2) would require multiple people who own them to communicate via their PC over the internet to arrange something when they could just run the same emulation better on their PC in the first place

https://www.retroarch.com/?page=netplay

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVKMeLC6DRA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWINW-Kh7kg

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I’m really glad I can’t get the RG351 on prime because I’d probably have impulse bought it already.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
The 351V was delivered from China within a week of ordering :getin:

Real talk now that I have my theme set up, my entire library scraped and my settings calibrated I adore my 351V. It was significantly easier to do than with my RP2 and I like the final result much more.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

ETA Prime, Taki Udon and Retro Game Corps are all pretty good for mini PCs, handheld emulators, etc. I just like seeing what low end hardware can do more than ridiculously expensive stuff like what Linus covers.

If you like single board computers then ExplainingComputers is just what a YouTube channel should be, just a geek talking about something he’s passionate about.

I’ve been considering getting the Poco X3 Pro phone they mentioned because it’s supposed to be really good at running Dolphin. It uses the Snapdragon 860, which is just a renamed version of the 855. Seems like a steal for $200 but if anyone has experience running dolphin with this phone or processor it would be good to know if you’ve had any problems.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

MarcusSA posted:

So if you wanted a emulation machine to hook up to your TV this seems like your best best for sub $100.

https://youtu.be/cUDMYOboDbM

Pretty painless all in all.

I’ve got access to like 50 of these. Batocera Beowulf cluster time :getin:

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

falz posted:

Just a guess.

I think I read somewhere that the screen was pretty constrained in terms of availability, and that drove the initial limit on orders and some of the lead time.

bartlebee
Nov 5, 2008

The retroid pocket 2s are all the same hardware, and they're good at providing different nostalgic colors, but besides those colors is there a reason you still want one?

Well yeah, it emulates the systems I want, it's inexpensive, the reviews are good, and it has hdmi out; I was waffling on getting a device and then read about a pokemon romhack I wanted to play and instead of getting a flash cart this seemed pretty feasible so I just bit the bullet. Just wanted to make sure if I chose one with cool colors that it was the same specs as the standard device.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

yep all the rp2s have the same internals

just a tip though, before you install or configure anything, update it to android 8.1 v2 so that you don’t have to reinstall everything later; there’s a lot of support material on youtube or r/retroid

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

zzMisc posted:

Oh, yeah, it runs entirely off the SD cards, no inherent firmware.

I am in love with this thing. Beta 5 of Retro Arena is now out at https://techtoytinker.com/handheld-corner. Other than N64, everything runs like a dream. There's some issue with standalone Mupen he's still trying to get worked out, so it's using the comparatively slow core in Retroarch. If N64 is important to you stick with stock, but for everything else, it's fantastic.

Is this expected to be the best path to functional Dreamcast now that arkOS is pulling out of the 351 series?

I just got the V and it’s the first of these I’ve really messed with. I was kinda hoping to play Dreamcast on it like the 351P/V, but with the better screen and form factor.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
The 351V OS SD is partitioned in a way that windows doesn’t like. Can someone recommend a decent app to image it, partitions and all? Is that even possible?

Not trying to change it, just back it up for when I inevitable try to do big changes.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Rolo posted:

The 351V OS SD is partitioned in a way that windows doesn’t like. Can someone recommend a decent app to image it, partitions and all? Is that even possible?

Not trying to change it, just back it up for when I inevitable try to do big changes.

This should do it and it’s free.

https://www.macrium.com/reflectfree

I’ve used it quite a few times to clone drives for system upgrades and it shouldn’t have any issue cloning the SD for later.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

MarcusSA posted:

This should do it and it’s free.

https://www.macrium.com/reflectfree

I’ve used it quite a few times to clone drives for system upgrades and it shouldn’t have any issue cloning the SD for later.

Tried it, doesn't seem to pick up USB media. Tried with a flash drive too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Rolo posted:

Tried it, doesn't seem to pick up USB media. Tried with a flash drive too.

That seems odd... I use a USB enclosure and it picks the drives up just fine.

Edit I guess this is the reason

quote:

Hi

Thanks for your post.

A USB stick can't be used for the destination of a clone or the source of an image. The drive geometry of flash media prevents this.

Kind regards

Nick - Macrium Support
This actually came up a few times as something people use

AOMEI Partition Assistant Standard 9.1

https://www.diskpart.com/free-parti...jJ0ODVnREpzbg..

MarcusSA fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Apr 9, 2021