Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
Watching the Red Scabbards, for all their experience, fall for Kanjuro's ruse like naive children only to be brought back down to Earth by Ashura was genuinely upsetting. The intimate nature of this trap is both unnerving and tragic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI

Supersonic Shine posted:

Watching the Red Scabbards, for all their experience, fall for Kanjuro's ruse like naive children only to be brought back down to Earth by Ashura was genuinely upsetting. The intimate nature of this trap is both unnerving and tragic.

I really liked that it mirrored fan reactions to the scene almost perfectly.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Steven Maeda was a writer on Lost. Yeah...

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

RatHat posted:

Steven Maeda was a writer on Lost. Yeah...

The other writers worked on the Harley Quinn cartoon and two Marvel Live Action series lol

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
New chapter is finally out!

https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/viewer/1008920

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
while it was the most likely answer; gently caress kanjuro

ashura is the hero we needed, and if he's dead his story arc has been pretty hosed up

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

Julias posted:

Overall I did enjoy the chapter, really happy to be right about Orochi being alive, Kanjuro being alive feels odd, did O-kiku not confirm if he was dead back at the start of act 3?

From the way he was going on it seemed like he expected to die from his wounds pretty soon. Its possible the only reason he's still standing right now is pure willpower/spite.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

From the way he was going on it seemed like he expected to die from his wounds pretty soon. Its possible the only reason he's still standing right now is pure willpower/spite.

The official translation of this chapter also made it a lot clearer that indeed Okiku went soft and didn't confirm his death

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
the official translation is a lot better in comparison this go around.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

anime was right posted:

the official translation is a lot better in comparison this go around.

:effort:

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

They brought back Binks’ Sake in the most recent anime episode, nice touch

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

So they established big mom could only be vulnerable when that picture of Carmel was damaged. Wonder how that'll come back and what will substitute that photo given it's so far away.

Or if her hunger pangs gonna start up again. Actually, bet that's how they'll split them up eh? One of them will remind her of Cake or some other good and then lead her away from Kaido, right?

CatstropheWaitress fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Mar 28, 2021

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I love how the final page straight up looks like the final boss screen of a Dragon Quest game or something.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

The World Inferno posted:

So they established big mom could only be vulnerable when that picture of Carmel was damaged. Wonder how that'll come back and what will substitute that photo given it's so far away.

Or if her hunger pangs gonna start up again. Actually, bet that's how they'll split them up eh? One of them will remind her of Cake or some other good and then lead her away from Kaido, right?

That's not the only way, just the easiest way. Big Mom bothered to protect herself with Color of Armaments to block Luffy's Gear Fourth attacks back on Whole Cake Island, so presumably she can be hurt with sufficient power.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

The World Inferno posted:

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

This line is totally flat in the official too. The fan translation’s “He’s worn out, but as high-spirited as ever!” is a lot punchier. I feel like the official translators have kinda knee-capped themselves by requiring every Wano character to talk in a haughty regal tone of voice.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

The trouble with being a translator is that you have to make sure that things are accurate, which doesn't always leave room to make them interesting.

The fan translations lean toward making things sound cool and the official ones lean toward making them accurate.

A good translation needs to be interesting AND accurate.

Edit:

I looked up the raws and it looks like Dogstorm expresses the idea in that exact way "We are both at a disadvantage." Which is why it was translated that way. That's why ideally you have a translator-editor-proofreader cycle. The translator puts the concepts into the target language, the editor makes it sound good in that language, and the proofreader makes sure the editor didn't gently caress up the translation. At the very least we can thankfully count on the dude translating official One Piece to not gently caress up on the details, which is good.

Disclaimer: I don't speak Japanese but I can get by in Chinese and I have some experience working with translators putting academic papers into English.

Spanish Matlock fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Mar 29, 2021

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

:five:

Havoc904
Jul 29, 2006

A school festival is a festival that takes place at our school!
I've seen some screen caps from the newest episodes of the anime that make it look like the Oden history is expanded a bit. Are they worth checking out?

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Havoc904 posted:

I've seen some screen caps from the newest episodes of the anime that make it look like the Oden history is expanded a bit. Are they worth checking out?

They've been mostly high quality, so yeah, I'd say all the flashback eps are worth checking out so far.

Warden
Jan 16, 2020

Julias posted:

They've been mostly high quality, so yeah, I'd say all the flashback eps are worth checking out so far.

I particularly liked the little additions to the Roger Pirates vs Whitebeard Pirates brawl.

Marco my boy, you got a cool fruit, but what made you think you could actually take on Silvers loving Rayleigh?

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Highly recommend not reading ch1009 spoilers and waiting for the chapter instead

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Bisse posted:

Highly recommend not reading ch1009 spoilers and waiting for the chapter instead

This but for every chapter.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Read spoilers for every chapter but only the one that tells you if we’re on break next week

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Last Celebration posted:

Read spoilers for every chapter but only the one that tells you if we’re on break next week

Is there a break next week?

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Silver2195 posted:

Is there a break next week?

there is no break next week

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Bisse posted:

when are you people going to learn

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.
Anyone else think Black Maria made mistake picking a fight with a woman who can create a giant foot?

naginalJJ
Feb 10, 2007

Baby, looks like a dance epidemic to me
I'm seeing things I thought I'd never see
Dance epidemic tonight
https://onepiecechapters.com/manga/one-piece-chapter-1009/

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
Holy gently caress this chapter was cool

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Those pages were absolute bangers, goddamn :suspense:

So many quotable lines in this dialogue

White Light fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Apr 2, 2021

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

God, I loving love that Oda brought Orochi back just so he could be killed again immediately, by the right people this time. I mean, he might just grow more heads, but if this is it, I would be completely satisfied :allears:

Tossing Big Mom over the ocean is some top-tier One Piece poo poo, I love it so much. Also, "Ragu-Naraku" is an incredible pun, and I kind of hope the official release makes it more obvious.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Honestly I am like Raizo and surprised that Fukurokuju is still loyal to Orochi.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Does Big Mom know the island is moving? She might have just assumed it was the ocean below but she’ll hit land instead. Won’t kill her but it’ll still take her out of the fight.

Wasn’t expecting Orochi to go down so fast but I guess it’s appropriate. Who wants to bet he’s somehow still alive?

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Holy hell, we could have just gotten Orochi coming back just to get clowned on (he’s probably still alive since he’s had seven heads cut off so far between the scabbards and Kaido) and this would still be a great read, but on top of that we got CYBORG HENTAI, Zoro tanking a combined attack from two emperors because I guess that’s the level of abuse post-skip Zoro can tank now, and more action along with the fight starting to turn

Also, is Kaido the only other Zoan we’ve seen who can selectively alter his body like post-skip Chopper? I know that Kaku and Lucci contort themselves but that’s just Paper Art.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 48 hours!
Love how it took a huge synchronized series of attacks going all out just to push Big Mama away enough on their (relatively) tiny ring.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
This was the real sumo inferno

Raspberry Bang
Feb 14, 2007

Sure, Kaido’s hybrid form is neat but I’m waiting for his awakened form when he turns into Godzilla.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

side_burned posted:

Anyone else think Black Maria made mistake picking a fight with a woman who can create a giant foot?

In her defense, until now there's only ever been one person who managed to successfully pick a fight with Robin in the first place. Not even Spandam got a fight, and that guy tried harder than anyone ever to pick a fight with her.