Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Poor 4/20 is such a cramped day, you got weed, Hitler, Columbine and KMFDM's album Adios all in one package. That and Cheech & Chong marathons but that goes with the weed anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

FuturePastNow posted:

As a 13 or 14 year old playing SimCity 2000 I discovered that I could raise all the money I needed by lowering taxes to 1 or 2% to grow population, then crank the tax rate up to the maximum 20% for a few years, then drop it back down and repeat whenever I needed cash.

The first SimCity for SNES was even more hosed. You could just drop taxes down to minimum all year to lure people into your city, then in Mid-December you could crank up taxes up to maximum, watch a few smart people run away as fast as they could, before tax day happened and you got taxes as if you had taxed at maximum the entire year

Rinse, repeat

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Anyway I remember in sim city 2000 if you turned disasters on then a power plant had a lifetime of 50 years. But at max game speed 50 years went by very quickly and having to build a new nuclear power plant every 1 minute or so was just crazy expensive.

However hydroelectric power plants had an infinite lifetime so if you build a huge dirt tower and placed water blocks all over it. You could spam it with water dams and just get free infinite power forever.

I remember I also had a budget thing called "nuclear free zone" which cost zero dollars so I assumed it didn't and I switched it off. After which my nuclear power plant exploded and I had these little radiation icons placed on my map for the rest of the game. At the time I assumed "nuclear free zone" was something to keep bad nuclear stuff away from my zone and switching it off caused the disaster.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

I thought the part in the "review" about the beefed-up custom cartridge was completely made up but no, they actually tried to make one. Not only make one, they actually loving pulled it off. The third-party unlicensed Nintendo dev that switched to making cheapo bible-themed Doom clones were actually unsung pioneers all along.

Civvie almost made a Bio Force Ape type situation (Only that game was real) here. Given that Color Dreams\Wisdom Tree had to go around the lockout chip to even run stuff, you could sideload technically extra hardware on it.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I feel like building a government that has no public services except for an armed force dedicated to preserving the president's life is the kind of thing that makes the CIA moist for murder.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Hatred is like the first Postal if it was made by middle schoolers (and not trying to be comedic like Postal 2). The game ends with you causing the town's nuclear reactor to meltdown it's so loving dumb.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Where is hbomb

https://twitter.com/_chieflow/status/1358297157363720197?s=19

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

"all they have to do is be careful about criticising the government" ffs George.

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Also they went to other drugs.

The LA Tank Rampage comes to mind:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KpgkhngU8yE

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Baka-nin posted:

"all they have to do is be careful about criticising the government" ffs George.

Straight-up admitting that the Vietnam allegory in Star Wars was too incompetent to be understood correctly.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

RareAcumen posted:

loving April Fool's joke with 5 years of set up, Goddamn
what's the joke, I'm unfamiliar with this fellow

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Tarkovsky was driven out from soviet cinema because his movies werent popular/commerically viable so lol gorge

fatherboxx fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Apr 2, 2021

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
https://twitter.com/theymerSophie/status/1377952810738810881
It will be interesting to see this video from Sophie

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Personally, I'm glad I live in America, the country famous for allowing film directors to criticize the government and powerful individuals with no consequences whatsoever.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Baka-nin posted:

To be fair that's also something USA filmmakers have to be careful about when shooting big budget movies, doubly so back in the Cold War days.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

fatherboxx posted:

Tarkovsky was driven out from soviet cinema because his movies werent popular/commerically viable so lol gorge

Yeah it's a nuclear hot take.

Dias posted:

To be fair that's also something USA filmmakers have to be careful about when shooting big budget movies, doubly so back in the Cold War days.

This is also true. The US military in particular really loves playing favorites and will burn production companies who don't allow them creative input at military-adjacent projects. Cop television has similar problems going back like 60 years. You play ball, you get a lot of perks.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

what's the joke, I'm unfamiliar with this fellow

The LP started like 10 years ago and still hasn't finished. I think he was still posting it on here at the time.

Before this, the most recent update was 4 years ago at this point.

Dias posted:

Yeah isn't there like a bookshelf sized stack of rules on painting the military/cops as a bad thing that you have to follow? It has to be a rogue squadron/lone wolf thing to get any approval without getting smothered like a grease fire?

RareAcumen fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Apr 2, 2021

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Orson Welles pissed off William Randolph Hearst when he made Citizen Kane, and he very nearly destroyed Welles' career in Hollywood.

Citizen Kane was nominated for an Oscar, but only so the academy award could make a show of booing it.

Then there was the poor bastard who decided to make a madcap 1960's comedy making fun of the FBI and J. Edgar Hoover.

His carrier was actually was destroyed, and so was his life.

Oh yes, there was also the time when they made an animated film based off of Animal Farm, and the Government forced them to rewrite the ending so the pigs were overthrown.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

https://twitter.com/TheJessieWoo/status/1377828332188880896?s=20

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

Weird way to discover zei_squirrel has me blocked lol

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Jamie Faith posted:

Weird way to discover zei_squirrel has me blocked lol

They blocked me when they got access back to their account and I've never understood why (or what blocklist they used). I know they're notorious for being a reflexive blocker but I've followed them for ages and only had cordial interactions with them.

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

Groovelord Neato posted:

They blocked me when they got access back to their account and I've never understood why (or what blocklist they used). I know they're notorious for being a reflexive blocker but I've followed them for ages and only had cordial interactions with them.

I don't think I've ever interacted with them before? It's probably a blocklist lol

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

BigRed0427 posted:

Are there youtubers who's whole thing is reading fairytales in some kind of stylized way?

I know that camgirls / adult models do this from time to time. Encountered a channel on the hub once that was a woman just doing various things like some kind of e-girlfriend and that was also part of it. The video wasn't about sex.

(In before the jokes, c'mon we all have just looked at weird channels out of curiosity)

Zedd fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Apr 2, 2021

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Clip-On Fedora posted:

His carrier was actually was destroyed, and so was his life.

Wasn't this a good thing? Private persons shouldn't own carriers, imho

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Libluini posted:

Wasn't this a good thing? Private persons shouldn't own carriers, imho

It was a really NICE SHIP okay!? And he kept it in international waters! Bombing it there is cheating!

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
The squirrel hasn't blocked me :smuggo:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

if george had responded to 'and what do you have to do?' with 'all i have to do is be careful about criticizing the government' that would have ruled

Grunch Worldflower
Nov 16, 2020

Jamie Faith posted:

I don't think I've ever interacted with them before? It's probably a blocklist lol

It seems like sometimes people do a "block X and all their followers" type lists that can sweep up a lot of random people. Either that, or there are tweeters genuinely offended by my account that has literally never tweeted or replied to anyone.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Grunch Worldflower posted:

It seems like sometimes people do a "block X and all their followers" type lists that can sweep up a lot of random people. Either that, or there are tweeters genuinely offended by my account that has literally never tweeted or replied to anyone.
Squirrel did this for a bunch of people who were mean to Glenn Greenwald or strongly supported Corbyn. So it could really be following any number of perfectly reasonable normal people.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

I used to follow Squirrel but after Corbyn lost their content shifted from "hope for the future" to to a self destructive spiral of "all is lost" basically and I hated to see it.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

gotta make money off sad horny fucks i guess. still kinda depressing on some levels. that being said, if you want to do onlyfans, have at it.

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

Dias posted:

I think i remember something about the military yanking cooperation from The Day After because they wanted it to be unambiguous that the Soviets fired first and the production team refused.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?

Dapper_Swindler posted:

gotta make money off sad horny fucks i guess. still kinda depressing on some levels. that being said, if you want to do onlyfans, have at it.

No idea who any of these people are or what the backstory is here but sex work shaming is something that needs a swift boot out the door.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

No idea who any of these people are or what the backstory is here but sex work shaming is something that needs a swift boot out the door.

It's the CASH ME OUTSIDE girl from the Dr. Phil meme.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
In retrospect it's pretty crazy Modern Warfare had a whole plot beat about the US jumping the gun and invading [unspecified middle-eastern country] only to get their forces nuked and have to rely on an allied force predominantly comprised of UK/Soviet troops clean up their mess. The message certainly isn't anti-military, but it does make the US armed forces look about as competent as they are in real life, which isn't the most flattering depiction. Particularly considering these days CoD games might as well require a webcam be plugged in to ensure you rise for the anthem before the start menu loads.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

I think they're expressing disgust or disappointment at the huge number of people jumping to see the onlyfans of the "cash me outside" girl from Dr. Phil on the same day that she turned 18, not judging her for making an onlyfans.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Groovelord Neato posted:

It's the CASH ME OUTSIDE girl from the Dr. Phil meme.

poo poo that's an ancient one. I totally forgot about her.

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

I think they're expressing disgust or disappointment at the huge number of people jumping to see the onlyfans of the "cash me outside" girl from Dr. Phil on the same day that she turned 18, not judging her for making an onlyfans.

I mean if they were refreshing the page waiting for the clock to roll over to 12:00AM then yeah that's kind of creepy and pathetic.

Kaiser Mazoku fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Apr 2, 2021

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

I mean if they were refreshing the page waiting for the clock to roll over to 12:00AM then yeah that's kind of creepy and pathetic.

From skimming Twitter, that's pretty much what happened. I'm having flashbacks to the gross as hell "Britney Spears turns 18" clocks.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

From skimming Twitter, that's pretty much what happened. I'm having flashbacks to the gross as hell "Britney Spears turns 18" clocks.

This is probably one of the worst things that didn't involve the prolonged character assassination campaign from the media against her,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Don't forget the one that was for the Olsen Twins.