Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Endless Mike posted:

not sure what the problem is. just fire up prime95 and cook some eggs in the morning

why bother downloading some weird software like prime95? just open itunes or slack

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

nah you really need avx512 for even cooking

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

phase change cooling is back except it's the liquid to gas transition of water

Falcorum
Oct 21, 2010

Fabricated posted:

literal space heater

intel's innovation is disrupting the oven industry

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Fabricated posted:

literal space heater

hobbesmaster posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxiuvQPL_qs

he ran it stock so it’s only “lol” power numbers instead of what happens when you enable abt
lmao at tech_jesus just blatantly mad and making GBS threads all over intel there. impressive how absolutely terrible intel flubbed this. pricing is also horrible even trying to cash-in on shortage of computer parts and given alder lake launches in like 7 months.

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006
sure, my motherboard and cpu are fried but for a sweet 10 seconds it owned the gently caress out of amd in a benchmark

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

My 5600X should be arriving today. nice

Forums Medic
Oct 2, 2010

i be out there in orbit
what are yall using to monitor the cpu core temps? is hwmonitor stil the go to?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
that's what i use

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Forums Medic posted:

what are yall using to monitor the cpu core temps? is hwmonitor stil the go to?

hwinfo64

Apr 7, 2003

I'm jizzin' for Ryzen!

Forums Medic
Oct 2, 2010

i be out there in orbit

website says its used by nasa good enough for me

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

what's your plan for the 6700k?

turn off the spectre mitigations so it doesn't run like rear end

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

infernal machines posted:

what the gently caress can even dissipate 430 watts worth of heat in this form factor? are these things all :rice: benchmark ln2 cooling or something?

if they're increasing the thermal cutoff temp to 110 then any heatsink will become more efficient because of the larger delta between the chip and ambient temp

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Zlodo posted:

sure, my motherboard and cpu are fried but for a sweet 10 seconds it owned the gently caress out of amd in a benchmark

Not even all benchmarks either lmao. My ryzen 3900 apparently still smokes this new intel thermite bomb in stuff like 3d rendering

Apr 7, 2003

Got my 5600X in and installed. Just gotta figure out what to do with the 3600X now.

Forums Medic
Oct 2, 2010

i be out there in orbit
yeah i been playing with memory timings to see what works with my 5900x. they should have called it 5100x cause thats how many megahurts it runs at!!!

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
yeah, the problem is definitely how you're describing your nodes and not the nodes themselves intel good job

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/intel-new-node-shrink-measurement

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

hmm I wonder why the last datapoint there is 2017. I’m sure there’s no reason

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
that is a fantastic misleading chart. fox news would be proud.

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
usually in marketing a bigger number means better. if im paying 500 bucks for a chip i want one with as many nanometers as possible

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006
"what is this, a cpu for ants???" - intel marketing circa 2022, probably

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
Intel core i7, made on the latest nanomium cx14500 process

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

poty posted:

usually in marketing a bigger number means better. if im paying 500 bucks for a chip i want one with as many nanometers as possible

exactly what ive been saying

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

intel bringing back full room computers, but it's almost nothing but cooling for them

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Minnesota Mixup posted:

intel bringing back full room computers, but it's almost nothing but cooling for them

no joke that’s what quantum computers are

very complicated plumbing problem with a few wires attached

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

PCjr sidecar posted:

please don't talk about my junk like that

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

PCjr sidecar posted:

please dont get bob started

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
aren’t quantum computers a scam?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Silver Alicorn posted:

Jonny 290 posted:

please dont get bob started

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Silver Alicorn posted:

they’re 100% not a scam as a way to twiddle around with your top 5 cs bs education in your free time while you spend your workday fiddling adtech placement algorithms to improve click through thousandths of a percent

(that is, qc as a concept is a scam like bitcoin as its vastly overpromised and may never work at a useful scale, not scam as in tether pure fraud machine)

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

nah, qc is not that easily summarized. almost everything (positive) we know we can do with quantum computing looks worthless with any technology possibly even on optimistic horizons, but as a matter of research i think everyone reasonably knowledgeable agrees that there's bound to be a lot of really promising things lurking there if it can be made to work.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

PCjr sidecar posted:

(that is, qc as a concept is a scam like bitcoin as its vastly overpromised and may never work at a useful scale, not scam as in tether pure fraud machine)

it’s closer to fusion power generation if you’re looking for an analogy

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
we can generate plenty of power with fusion. the problem is doing it without destroying everything in a 20km radius.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

The Management posted:

we can generate plenty of power with fusion. the problem is doing it without destroying everything in a 20km radius.
theres a stable, working, energetic fusion reactor happily chugging away 93 million miles from us. all we need to do is set up enough devices (panels, windmills) to capture the energy its putting out

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
although there was a plan to use nuclear bombs to generate energy. it went:

1) dig a deep hole, put an atom bomb in it. fill the hole up
2) detonate the bomb. the surrounding rock captures all that heat energy
3) drill a bunch of holes through that rock and run pipes and water through them. boom, instant geothermal plant!
4) when the rock cools down, dig another deep hole and repeat

there was another plan to use nukes in played-out oil and gas fields in an early attempt at fracking. it died when someone asked if a zillion cubic feet of radioactive natural gas was likely to find a market

FMguru fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Apr 3, 2021

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

FMguru posted:

there was another plan to use nukes in played-out oil and gas fields in an early attempt at fracking. it died when someone asked it a zillion cubic feet of radioactive natural gas was likely to find a market

If I recall from my stoned late night wikipedia trawls, the deal killer on this every single time 100% of the time `However, the gas was found to be too radioactive to safely burn in residential environments`

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

cowards

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
in 1964 we nuked mississippi! twice!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

then they stopped, for some reason