Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saerdna
Aug 8, 2004
I didn't appreciate Godzilla laughing. It's undignified

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Saerdna posted:

He's basically Crom, and as we all know Crom laughs at you from his mountain.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Another minor thing that didn't really bug me but stood out was how much more of a giant ape Kong was in GvK. Skull Island went out of its way to make Kong a kaiju, not just a giant gorilla like he was in Peter Jackson's Kong. But here they had him knuckle-walking and everything.

Or am I misremembering Skull Island and he spent a lot more time on all fours?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

In Skull Island they point out that he's basically a teenager and still growing.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Detective No. 27 posted:

In Skull Island they point out that he's basically a teenager and still growing.

They also show his parents skeletons and they're his size here.

Violator
May 15, 2003

drat, the movie really did blow past Ren being Serizawa’s son. I didn’t even realize it until reading some reviews. Kind of seems like it could have been important. Did he want revenge for his father’s death? Could that have tied into wolfdad’s arc in the previous movie? Was this all on the cutting room floor?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Violator posted:

drat, the movie really did blow past Ren being Serizawa’s son. I didn’t even realize it until reading some reviews. Kind of seems like it could have been important. Did he want revenge for his father’s death? Could that have tied into wolfdad’s arc in the previous movie? Was this all on the cutting room floor?

there's like one line where he says "my father never really saw me" or something like that

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Violator posted:

I'd assume so, along with all of Lance Reddick's character beats.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

teagone posted:

I'd assume so, along with all of Lance Reddick's character beats.

Interview posted earlier said the Lance really only had one scene (not shown) establishing him and doing a bit of exposition (plan revolving Kong). It wasn’t a big part to begin with since MONARCH got basically written off to focus on Apex.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Interview posted earlier said the Lance really only had one scene (not shown) establishing him and doing a bit of exposition (plan revolving Kong). It wasn’t a big part to begin with since MONARCH got basically written off to focus on Apex.

Ahh, I stand corrected.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Saerdna posted:

Godzilla's "FINALLY got you you little poo poo" grin was extremely relatable.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

https://twitter.com/headfallsoff/status/1377759663723253762?s=21

:hmmyes:

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

Am I the only person here who would love to see a Kong: King of the Hollow Earth movie? The big ape just having the time of his life in a trippy landscape to a vangelisesque soundtrack was something I didn't know I needed. It would also be a good vehicle to introduce some other familiar faces.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Tekne posted:

Am I the only person here who would love to see a Kong: King of the Hollow Earth movie? The big ape just having the time of his life in a trippy landscape to a vangelisesque soundtrack was something I didn't know I needed. It would also be a good vehicle to introduce some other familiar faces.

I'd dig this, but also I've been wanting a "David Attenborough Narrates a Nature Documentary on Pandora (Avatar)" film for years.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Tekne posted:

I’m pro anything from this franchise. I also think Kong needs an another movie.

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

I'd dig this, but also I've been wanting a "David Attenborough Narrates a Nature Documentary on Pandora (Avatar)" film for years.
I'm lowkey hoping the Avatar sequel is Blue Planet (Moon) III narrated by giant cat people. The movies afterward should focus on Pandora's other biomes.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

That's basically what Alien Worlds, on Netflix, is.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

https://twitter.com/LilNasX/status/1377854128324403201

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I love how that’s the first minute of the movie. Kongs big fat rear end

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Tekne posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVq2yMuAMVQ

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I've just this second realized that Justice's Genesis samples the Godzilla vs Mothra score. I thought it was weird that Godzilla's entrance to the boat fight sounded just like that song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKzWLUQizz8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXEYVQtLXFk

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Tekne posted:

Jonah should return in the future as an even more radical total extinctionist with a GMO kaiju in tow to kill everything on the planet. None of this half-assed kill half Thanos bullshit. He will save Earth by eradicating all life, whether it be human, titan, or the scum growing in your pond. Then the aliens come in to save the day/escalate the conflict to prevent a terraforming candidate world from being ruined, saved, who the gently caress knows?

If this means Biollante, I'm cool with that.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Necrothatcher posted:

I've just this second realized that Justice's Genesis samples the Godzilla vs Mothra score. I thought it was weird that Godzilla's entrance to the boat fight sounded just like that song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKzWLUQizz8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXEYVQtLXFk

Huh, never thought about that

So this type of music is in the new movie too?

Violator
May 15, 2003

Tekne posted:

Hell, add the red juice from the original Godzilla vs Kong and let Kong get super drunk in that upside down world to comical results.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
https://twitter.com/cnet/status/1377729397575327749?s=21

I assume it’s just the end of the movie with Kong and everyone in Hollow Earth. I don’t know what else it would be.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Tekne posted:

I'm actually assuming that they were setting up exactly that, and if the series continues that'll be the next one

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

I read an interview where Adam Wingerd basically implied that the interconnected universe fad was kinda dying. He also mentioned that they would see about the audience's reaction to this last Monsterverse before continuing on.

For the life of me, I don't know what that looks like. Toy sales? Streaming views? Would love to see more Monsterverse stuff but have no idea what this dumb studio is looking for.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Oh that reminds me, while I was sitting in the cinema after the movie ended waiting to find out if there was going to be a post-credits scene I noticed there was a credit saying "Lethal Weapon 2 is Copyright by Warner Bros" and I was wondering if I'd missed a part where they used LW2 footage diegetically or something (there's the obvious Kong popping his dislocated shoulder back in reference but they wouldn't need a copyright note to cover that) so I googled it and it turns out that Alexander Skarsgard’s character was supposed to be obsessed with LW2 and at various points in the movie he was going to quote it or be wearing a LW2 t-shirt or drinking out of a LW2 mug but I can't recall seeing any of that

https://www.cinemablend.com/news/2565218/why-godzilla-vs-kong-has-a-lethal-weapon-2-reference-and-almost-had-a-lot-more

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Sometimes I have a hard time properly evaluating movies like this but I already want to rewatch it like 2 days later so that probably means it was good.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I read an interview where Adam Wingerd basically implied that the interconnected universe fad was kinda dying. He also mentioned that they would see about the audience's reaction to this last Monsterverse before continuing on.

For the life of me, I don't know what that looks like. Toy sales? Streaming views? Would love to see more Monsterverse stuff but have no idea what this dumb studio is looking for.

Has anyone but marvel really pulled it off?

Kong could have hollow earth adventures and just handwave godzilla as being dormant or just off on his own thing.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Oh that reminds me, while I was sitting in the cinema after the movie ended waiting to find out if there was going to be a post-credits scene I noticed there was a credit saying "Lethal Weapon 2 is Copyright by Warner Bros" and I was wondering if I'd missed a part where they used LW2 footage diegetically or something (there's the obvious Kong popping his dislocated shoulder back in reference but they wouldn't need a copyright note to cover that) so I googled it and it turns out that Alexander Skarsgard’s character was supposed to be obsessed with LW2 and at various points in the movie he was going to quote it or be wearing a LW2 t-shirt or drinking out of a LW2 mug but I can't recall seeing any of that

https://www.cinemablend.com/news/2565218/why-godzilla-vs-kong-has-a-lethal-weapon-2-reference-and-almost-had-a-lot-more

What the gently caress?!

Edit: The delays, reshoots, and edits on this thing must be fascinating.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
I think that this movie has done better than they were expecting by pretty much every metric, so Wingard or no I definitely expect some kind of follow up.

Two words:

MECHA GHIDORAH

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

This is loving bonkers. They chopped up so much it seems.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

That’s a good change. I liked his character as shown if he was also spewing movie catchphrases it would have been annoying as hell.

LW2 isn’t even good.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Vintersorg posted:

This is loving bonkers. They chopped up so much it seems.

There was an entire subplot in the trailers about Godzilla attacking different cities and them trying to figure out why that was excised, it was obviously pared down to just the Florida and Hong Kong attacks.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Yeah it would be like that loving scientist acting “wacky” in KOTM because rock & morty is popular

Do not even ask
Apr 8, 2008

I'm just imaging him saying "Diplomatic Immunity!" randomly in a scene and I already have douche chills

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

LW2 isn’t even good.

WHAT?!?!? WHAT!!!!!!!

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

LW2 isn’t even good.

The gently caress is wrong with you? Ban this "person."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

I'm the guy who likes Lethal Weapon 4 btw.