Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I had to look up who Sharon Carter was. Totally forgot about em. :3:

Kind of a ho hum episode, tv violence but interesting none the less.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
My typical American ignorance of geography had me confuse Latvia with Latveria so I was super hyped for a second. Also it's Clark Gregg's birthday today. It's a shame he got divorced from Jennifer Grey.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Am I the only one who thinks Karli is going rogue because the supposedly "perfected" super-soldier serum is making her erratic? Like maybe it's not as "perfected" as advertised? If Walker's on the same serum, that's probably going to be his arc, too.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Phylodox posted:

Am I the only one who thinks Karli is going rogue because the supposedly "perfected" super-soldier serum is making her erratic? Like maybe it's not as "perfected" as advertised? If Walker's on the same serum, that's probably going to be his arc, too.

Even the original serum only made people more enhanced versions of who they already were. The first thing Erskine asks Steve is if he wants to kill Nazis and Steve says no but Karli already had revenge on her mind.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
I trust the series so far to give us a reason for that second to last twist.

The reveal about Zemo different, but you can imagine why he wasn’t donning that persona while fighting the avengers. Would’ve made him much easier to track.

I like the new locale, how it’s only partying and crime. Very true to the comics.
Would have been funnier if Sam liked the drink.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Zemo in Civil War was acting on extremely personal reasons, so it makes sense that he wasn't gallivanting like he was in this episode

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
Were they intentionally playing up Zemo's Bruce Wayne-ness? The whole thing with the butler meeting him on the private jet is ripped right from Batman Begins and it seems like, at least in his own mind, he is a rich vigilante.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Well I go to start watching and Disney+ is screwed up for me. It's not detecting the right size of my screen (34" ultrawide) so I get a massive black bar at top and it's cutting off enough of the bottom to not have the subtitles display. If I move the window to my vertical monitor it is perfectly fine.

Is there a way to fix this on my end? Had a similar issue happening with HBO Max last week

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

live with fruit posted:

Were they intentionally playing up Zemo's Bruce Wayne-ness? The whole thing with the butler meeting him on the private jet is ripped right from Batman Begins and it seems like, at least in his own mind, he is a rich vigilante.

In actuality Zemo is a rich vigilante who saw the Avengers as criminals who destroyed his home and family. So he took the law into his own hands to punish them and gently caress any bystanders along the way. Which is pretty much how real vigilantes act.

Also the bit where Zemo's plan is to straight up "sell" Bucky for the information. There was a look on Bucky's face like something similar had happened before. You have to wonder just how much hideous poo poo Bucky had to endure and inflict as the Winter Soldier. And he remembers all of it. Also, Sam, when you're a secret, illegal mission, turn off your loving phone.

As for Karli, figure she was in a bad place after her mother/mentor died. Also, Karli was a cute girl. In Madripoor. Without power or resources. So figure she went through some pretty nasty poo poo before getting the SSS. And the Global Repatriation Council had apparently been sitting on desperately needed medicine and supplies while refugees died. So, you kind of see how she'd come to "You let a lot of us die, now some of you are going to die" as a "message" to send to them.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
Karli also says "Violence is the only language they speak," which seems to imply that the GRC isn't as wholesome as their ads would lead you to believe.

gyrobot
Nov 16, 2011

Everyone posted:

In actuality Zemo is a rich vigilante who saw the Avengers as criminals who destroyed his home and family. So he took the law into his own hands to punish them and gently caress any bystanders along the way. Which is pretty much how real vigilantes act.

Also the bit where Zemo's plan is to straight up "sell" Bucky for the information. There was a look on Bucky's face like something similar had happened before. You have to wonder just how much hideous poo poo Bucky had to endure and inflict as the Winter Soldier. And he remembers all of it. Also, Sam, when you're a secret, illegal mission, turn off your loving phone.

As for Karli, figure she was in a bad place after her mother/mentor died. Also, Karli was a cute girl. In Madripoor. Without power or resources. So figure she went through some pretty nasty poo poo before getting the SSS. And the Global Repatriation Council had apparently been sitting on desperately needed medicine and supplies while refugees died. So, you kind of see how she'd come to "You let a lot of us die, now some of you are going to die" as a "message" to send to them.

And also the countries around the world consolidating power using the Snap and not giving two shots about how many people they will kill doing it. War is on the horizon and it's going to be a matte rof time before the crows feast

StrugglingHoneybun
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.
I have doubts that only 20 doses of the SSS were taken. that dude seemed unreliable and, I'm unsure why anyone would take his word for it.

Maybe the entire container of "vaccines" was serum doses? That seems like the kind of higher stakes we're accustomed to as viewers

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
One, his new jacket is tremendous, two, It gives them a contrast to all the other characters on the show.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

gyrobot posted:

And also the countries around the world consolidating power using the Snap and not giving two shots about how many people they will kill doing it. War is on the horizon and it's going to be a matte rof time before the crows feast

Yeah, one tiny detail in the GRC ad at the beginning talked about adapting to new borders. Which means a lot of people are effectively stateless. That's gonna cause major instability.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Thundercracker posted:

I thought the Karli turn heel scene was so hamfisted. There was absolutely no build up to her turning murder terrorist. Especially as we haven't seen reciprocal acts from GRC or any sort of indication on her character. This is far lazier than Danereys and the bells.

Turning? We don't actually know this character at all yet.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

MiddleOne posted:

Turning? We don't actually know this character at all yet.

Other characters reactions make it seem completely out of character for her.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

Everyone posted:

Also, Sam, when you're a secret, illegal mission, turn off your loving phone.

I actually had to pause and stop watching for a brief moment at the beginning of this scene because of how incredibly dumb it was and that I knew I'd have to sit through it

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
Bucky being frustrated with Sam is truly the gift that keeps on giving in this show. I keep thinking about the container shootout and Bucky saying "Follow my lead." Sam just does what he wants "drat it."

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Zodack posted:

I actually had to pause and stop watching for a brief moment at the beginning of this scene because of how incredibly dumb it was and that I knew I'd have to sit through it

Sam was a comic relief character the entire episode and has generally been passive the entire series. Someone's been telling him what to do in every episode. Him forgetting to turn off his phone kind of works in that he's way out of his element on Madripoor while Sam and Zemo are not.

Doom2020!
Dec 31, 2020

If you think this has a happy ending then you really haven't been paying attention

SquirrelyPSU posted:

Seconded. I thought the episode was all over the place but at least introduced some interesting plotlines.

I also liked "And I stole your wings to save his rear end from his rear end".

live with fruit posted:

The Flag Smashers have used violence before, their leader or whatever just died and when the ponytail guy was talking to her about life after whatever they're doing, her behavior seemed to imply that she didn't see an after. It wasn't telegraphed but it didn't come out of no where.

I don't think it's even accurate to say she's turned heel. Walker will definitely think so and he'll pursue her as one but there's enough there for the audience to maintain sympathy for her, and for the writers to write her way out of it.

Yeah... a bit scattered. Non spoiler review for the curious: felt a bit crazy but had decent action, some interesting character beats and a fun new location. Also "Trouble Man" really is a classic and everyone should give it a listen.

Madripoor! Really liked the HK turned up to 11 vibe they had going. They need to go there more often. Really good trio dynamic and those guys play well off each other. Continental Rich Boy Zemo dancing was HILARIOUS white boy jam. Sharon going edgy "felt" like a cover story. I knew that scientist was dead the moment Zemo and co talked to him. Liked Sebastian Stan's subtle acting when pretending to be the Winter Soldier again. I felt how much he both loved to cut loose and simultaneously how scared he was that it all came back so easy. Also made it even more obvious how he was holding back before. Also liked how it showed Mackie was genuinely concerned for him. He was the perfect representation of a guy who counsels at the VA and sees Vets struggling. People give Mackie poo poo for being a bad actor but I thought he did well here. Also dude is so charismatic that it makes up for any limitations he might have as he just feels believable at times. Like how they made Flag Smashers sympathetic and I don't even blame Karli. She JUST watched someone she loved die in her arms due to neglect and faced a bunch of "following orders" lackeys that let people die because it is their job. Even if the serum isn't affecting her, many people would be like "gently caress those guys" especially right after that. I know I would be tempted in her shoes. People who let evil poo poo happen because they don't want to make waves can sometimes be even more maddening than the outright evil guys. Like that we got the "nicer" Walker Agent before this episode as this was more like what I expected. WAKANDA! Still wonder how they will handle BP in the future as I know I at least want more Wakanda and Black Panther. Messy but a fun episode. Happy with this show though I wish the John Wick 2 text/city chase scene had been an entire episode as that could have been a tense ride. I imagine Bucky going all out and fighting not to cross the line as it becomes harder and harder, with Zemo egging him on and Falcon trying to keep him on the side of angels. Could have been good stuff.

Small complaints but really... decent episode.

edit

live with fruit posted:

Sam was a comic relief character the entire episode and has generally been passive the entire series. Someone's been telling him what to do in every episode. Him forgetting to turn off his phone kind of works in that he's way out of his element on Madripoor while Sam and Zemo are not.

I am assuming most of this is deliberate and will the passivity will be changed later on. I like the "out of his element" as Sam has always been shown to be the most old fashioned and morally heroic guy you could find. Maybe why he fit in with Cap so well.

Doom2020! fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Apr 2, 2021

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

live with fruit posted:

Karli also says "Violence is the only language they speak," which seems to imply that the GRC isn't as wholesome as their ads would lead you to believe.

It was sorta shown off pretty hard in the very first scene of the ep, begining with the over the top pablum advertisement and then fading directly in to the armed swat team van emptying out troops to go rough up people and ransack their house

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
I really don't like Sam at all this series. Outside of the first 10 minutes of the show, he's been bouncing between being a massive fuckup and a colossal baby. I hope this is intentional and he improves to the point where he has the confidence to take up the Captain America mantle, but right now he's the weakest of the main cast of characters.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

The Winter Soldier theme music playing when Bucky had to kick those guys' asses was a really solid beat. Bucky can really flip it back to that mode when he wants to which is scary

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
If someone spat in my face id be bloody livid. That's disgusting and shows such disrespect.

I'm surprised the whole loss - grief anger - retribution arc was so underplayed. It feels muted, and that's taking a lot of the emotional power out of it.

I think Zemo is acting circles around everyone else. I'm glad years of imprisonment have changed his character he's so much fun as evil bruce wayne

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Carlosologist posted:

The Winter Soldier theme music playing when Bucky had to kick those guys' asses was a really solid beat. Bucky can really flip it back to that mode when he wants to which is scary

Zemo's theme as well! It was nice they brought back those soundtracks. and also one of the Black Panther's.
I loved it!

animeluva1
Aug 9, 2003

Hopefully I'll have that
problem someday.
I thought that 'Sam is a massive fuckup and colossal baby learning what it means to become Captain America' and was the point of this show? He has knowledge gaps, and that's just the start of it.

Not a bad episodes. Really excited for more Wakanda plot beats in this show.

Doom2020!
Dec 31, 2020

If you think this has a happy ending then you really haven't been paying attention

animeluva1 posted:

I thought that 'Sam is a massive fuckup and colossal baby learning what it means to become Captain America' and was the point of this show? He has knowledge gaps, and that's just the start of it.

Not a bad episodes. Really excited for more Wakanda plot beats in this show.

Me too. If Sam remains a passive colossal baby at the end of this series then I will be annoyed but I am assuming the whole series is about him stepping up from sidekick to THE very symbol of a superhero. He's got the heart and the desire to be a great hero although naive in some ways that not even Steve Rogers was. I assume that is deliberate. One of the most head in the clouds naive people I have ever met was a guy who has been through IT. From birth this guy had just been buggered and buggered by life, yet somehow keeps this almost childlike smile. Some people thought he was simple but, if you got to know him better, you could see it was a choice he made. Dunno whether that guy is still that way but I always got the sense that it was an armour he built around himself to not give in to what seemed to surround him. No idea whether a version of this is what the writers are going for but I bloody hope so. Also like that this guy who has spent so much time trying to be the straightforward hero doesn't automatically know how to be a super spy, snipe from a thousand yards, hotwire cars or build explosives. Bucky would trade that knowledge back if he could.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
So far the Marvel tv shows have made me care about secondary and tertiary characters by giving them personalities and motivation and I can't wait for more.

Well, kinda dreading Loki as he got sucked off enough already despite being an unredeemed monster because he was sad one time

Its Rinaldo fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Apr 2, 2021

gyrobot
Nov 16, 2011

Thundercracker posted:

Yeah, one tiny detail in the GRC ad at the beginning talked about adapting to new borders. Which means a lot of people are effectively stateless. That's gonna cause major instability.

And meanwhile the people living inside the new states are under the thumb of NotFEMA as the rich assholes uptop is without a doubt gonna use it to curtail civil liberties in the name of combating the Snap

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Phylodox posted:

I think the two characters are definitely supposed to parallel each other. Both have adopted an identity as the literal representative of an ideology, which is tough for anyone. They're also both very focused on their ultimate goal and willing to do whatever they need to get it, too.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Thundercracker posted:

I had a big OH NO reaction. Considering the past all Latin American countries have with the US. Which might I also give you an idea of what was Walker doing in Chile.

cyclical
Nov 26, 2005
No, not that one.

live with fruit posted:

Even the original serum only made people more enhanced versions of who they already were. The first thing Erskine asks Steve is if he wants to kill Nazis and Steve says no but Karli already had revenge on her mind.

Good becomes great, bad becomes worse. I believe that's the quote from The First Avenger. Bucky would have followed Steve's trajectory had he not been brainfucked into oblivion by HYDRA. I think Karli falls into the second category, maybe.

I loved this episode. Sam being incredibly out of his depth, Zemo was a delight, and Bucky playing the Winter Soldier again and getting kinda scared at just how easy it is to fall back into that mode... Bet he feels Zemo has a point that there's still a lot of that in him. I'm also wondering if Zemo is going to try to kill Bucky in the end; that remark about ending the Winter Soldier project was a little too pointed.

The Wakandans are going to be so very unhappy Bucky busted their former king's murderer out of jail. Don't think he thought that plan all the way through.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

cyclical posted:

The Wakandans are going to be so very unhappy Bucky busted their former king's murderer out of jail. Don't think he thought that plan all the way through.

Are they? Or did Bucky bust Zemo out of jail so Wakandans could get to him? It feels like he has allegiance to them.

cyclical
Nov 26, 2005
No, not that one.

Yannick_B posted:

Are they? Or did Bucky bust Zemo out of jail so Wakandans could get to him? It feels like he has allegiance to them.

I definitely think he feels allegiance to them, but I think he got Zemo out of jail specifically and only to help with the whole Super Soldier deal. At least so far. Maybe he'll reveal that ulterior motive later, but it kinda feels like he didn't really consider that angle until Sam points it out to him. I hope you're right and that he didn't blow all that goodwill extended to him.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Uhhhh... is Sharon the Power Broker?

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy
Karli did nothing wrong

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Cartridgeblowers posted:

Uhhhh... is Sharon the Power Broker?

This is what I'm thinking as well.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

I thought Karli's turn to violence was pretty well telegraphed. She just lost her mom, she found dudes guarding what was probably medicine that could've saved her and wasn't. It's not like this is the loving 1800's, we can cure tuberculosis the only reason not to is to deny someone medical treatment and it's just evil.
In the lab scene they focused way, way too much on the stuff in the test tubes. I'll have to rewatch, but it kind of looked like one of them was full, then was empty the next time they showed it. No way the dude who figured out how to make Super Soldier Serum and then got it stolen wasn't making more. He knew how, no reason not to run the reactions again.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Yeah the GRC are pretty obviously depicted as Jackbooted Thugs in the opening sequence of this episode.

I fuckin' love Zimo dude, but he really did blow up the UN and started multiple international incidents. That's loving nuts lol.

Is Sharon's story just that she worships steve as a god because of her mom and will do anything he says forever and will just give Sam and bucky whatever they want because she knows it's what Steve would want? I don't get her character here.

The city is awesome and I really loved that entire sequence.

Also Bucky very clearly DID NOT do anything besides littering in Germany. he's such a good boy!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
Zemo calling Bucky, James the whole time is a nice touch.