Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

The Pussy Boss posted:

Players travel across the country for work, passing through airports, hotels, and sports stadiums full of fans, workers, etc. They aren't quarantining in any meaningful sense, and its lovely to blame people for catching a highly contagious disease.

the Nats had to travel from Florida to Washington, it's not exactly "across the country", especially when you consider that 29 other teams managed to move out from ST without having anyone infected and most of them had to go a lot further than DC

they're staying in covid-secure hotels at both ends, using private transport, and I don't know if you've been to a ball game ever but the amount of contact between players and fans was really loving limited even before covid

The Pussy Boss posted:

Also its news to me that the vaccine is universally available now. I'm still on a waiting list.

...did you miss all the news articles about the players getting the vaccine early? turns out when you're a billionaire sports owner it's pretty easy to lay your hands on a few hundred shots for your guys

Julio Cruz fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Apr 2, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
How the hell isn't every MLB player vaccinated right now, like 1/3 of the country has at least one dose and even outside of being the few key personnel to a valuable industry they're still workers who have to be near other people to do their job.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Sydin posted:

Because the vaccine has been available to players for a while now,

I honestly didn't know this. Got a link?

Julio Cruz posted:

...did you miss all the news articles about the players getting the vaccine early?

Genuinely, yes. Mind posting some?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Julio Cruz posted:

the problem is that forfeiting just isn't on the table since both the owners and the players will hate it and Manfred is much too weak to do it unilaterally, I'm trying to come up with something that's a disincentive towards ignoring all the safety restrictions while also trying not to put anyone else at risk

Tinfoil hat time: MLB tried to have another season with less games and a later start to the season (presumably hoping stadium capacity would be higher and they'd save some dough on ~25% capacity games for a month) the players told them to gently caress off, and we know from the Rotary Club incident that this was "embarrassing" for owners/the commissioner's office. So the reason why the league hasn't pushed harder for vaccination or consequences for protocol breach is they want this poo poo to happen, and for multiple reasons:

1. A game postponed now is played much later, hopefully when owners can have more paying butts in seats.
2. It makes the players look bad, ownership can say "hey we wanted to start later but oh no players just had to insist on a full season, and now look at them flaunting protocol."
3. If the season is seriously impacted by players catching COVID after they made a big stand about how they thought existing protocols were fine, it gives MLB more leverage in the upcoming CBA.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

The Pussy Boss posted:

Players travel across the country for work, passing through airports, hotels, and sports stadiums full of fans, workers, etc. They aren't quarantining in any meaningful sense, and its lovely to blame people for catching a highly contagious disease.

Also its news to me that the vaccine is universally available now. I'm still on a waiting list.

It depends on your state I think. Colorado just opened up to general public recently(or maybe next Monday? all I know is that I'm getting micro-chipped vaccinated on Tuesday)

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011
Maddon said the Angels were already over the 85% threshold so I'd expect other teams to be held accountable if they are having to force postponements due to this poo poo a year after it began honestly.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

The Cardinals have also reportedly reached 85%+ vaccinated.

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011
The COVID talk reminded me that I was looking up how Andrelton Simmons did yesterday and found this gem

https://twitter.com/Andrelton/status/1375504270452260869

I knew he had said some anti vax nonsense a while back but c'mon man

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

Julio Cruz posted:

especially when you consider that 29 other teams managed to move out from ST without having anyone infected and most of them had to go a lot further than DC

Wait a week. Also the first team on a long homestand to have players going to massive gathers, strip clubs, etc. and getting COVID is right around the corner.

I think the most surprising thing is that, given it happened for this series, it wasn't the Mets' fault. :mets:

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Johnny Bravo posted:

The COVID talk reminded me that I was looking up how Andrelton Simmons did yesterday and found this gem

https://twitter.com/Andrelton/status/1375504270452260869

I knew he had said some anti vax nonsense a while back but c'mon man

He's got a terminal case of brainworms:

https://twitter.com/bmcdev/status/1375510528131440642

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Bregor posted:

Wait a week. Also the first team on a long homestand to have players going to massive gathers, strip clubs, etc. and getting COVID is right around the corner.

I think the most surprising thing is that, given it happened for this series, it wasn't the Mets' fault. :mets:

I mean yeah that's my point, at this point it's essentially impossible for MLB teams to have an outbreak if they're following the protocols properly, so someone somewhere in the Nats organisation must have been doing something they shouldn't have been

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Whoa.

https://twitter.com/jareddiamond/status/1378057821003071488

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Good for them.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

this happened much sooner and with less pushback from owners/the league than I anticipated

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

if it doesn't come with a press release stating why this will be kinda silly IMO, but I imagine it will

e: and if it does, it could be really good!

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

No Safe Word posted:

if it doesn't come with a press release stating why this will be kinda silly IMO, but I imagine it will

e: and if it does, it could be really good!

https://twitter.com/EvanDrellich/status/1378058286939901956

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Bring it to Wrigley

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Poque posted:

Bring it to Wrigley

It's going to Texas or a state that has 100% capacity open, I guarantee.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

https://twitter.com/ParkerMolloy/status/1378059802077753348

This is probably what is happening I'd guess, seems like a good idea anyway

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
ahahahaha

gently caress Georgia and gently caress the Braves

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

The 2020 All Star Game was supposed to be at Dodger Stadium but didn't happen of course, so just move this year's game there.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
LA got 2022 already because of that. Parker Molloy is an idiot

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
edit: beaten with press release.

This is really good but I need to hear from the best fans in baseball first

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Good for MLB. gently caress Georgia and their bullshit.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Poque posted:

I remember hearing that was the assumed recourse but didn't know it'd already been finalized.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Poque posted:

Because the AS game location is an immutable thing that is set in stone and can't be changed over a year in advance :cawg:

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

kensei posted:

It's going to Texas or a state that has 100% capacity open, I guarantee.

Texas is the process of passing its own version of the Georgia voting laws. I don't think MLB wants to do this twice, so I'd say Houston and Arlington are out.

My guess would be Milwaukee. Part of the hype for the ASG in Atlanta was honoring Hank Aaron, and Hank played in Milwaukee for a while as well so they'd still be able to do that plausibly.

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011
LA makes the most sense though I wouldn't be surprised if it was Texas with their shiny new stadium and fresh voting restriction legislation efforts. This is MLB we're talkin about.

E: fb

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

saintonan posted:

Texas is the process of passing its own version of the Georgia voting laws. I don't think MLB wants to do this twice, so I'd say Houston and Arlington are out.

My guess would be Milwaukee. Part of the hype for the ASG in Atlanta was honoring Hank Aaron, and Hank played in Milwaukee for a while as well so they'd still be able to do that plausibly.
Yes and they are discussing similar restrictions here in FL as well, although I don't know if they will have time to get them passed or not before the legislature adjourns for the year

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

https://twitter.com/Alden_Gonzalez/status/1378059313629908992
Looks like LA 2022 is still the plan so back to speculating everyone!

e: it would be hilarious for them to announce Arlington and then have the TX lege do the same law (spoiler: they're already in the process of doing so!)

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

*sad chopping noises*

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
lmao get hosed Georgia.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

Julio Cruz posted:

ahahahaha

gently caress Georgia and gently caress the Braves

This but as a Braves fan, serious bonus that it takes away their white flight reward

Ratedargh
Feb 20, 2011

Wow, Bob, wow. Fire walk with me.
They were planning a celebration of Hank Aaron so they might move it to Milwaukee.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.

Ratedargh posted:

They were planning a celebration of Hank Aaron so they might move it to Milwaukee.

Move it to Minnesota and honor Kent Hrbek.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

soggybagel posted:

Move it to Minnesota and honor Kent Hrbek.

Ok let’s pump the brakes a little

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

*sad chopping noises*
*OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK*

Ratedargh posted:

Plus the Wisconsin Supreme Court just threw out the Governor's mask mandate for bullshit reasons so MLB can probably ask that the stadium be full for also bullshit reasons.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost

No Safe Word posted:

https://twitter.com/Alden_Gonzalez/status/1378059313629908992
Looks like LA 2022 is still the plan so back to speculating everyone!

e: it would be hilarious for them to announce Arlington and then have the TX lege do the same law (spoiler: they're already in the process of doing so!)

Dunedin :colbert:

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Poque posted:

Bring it to Wrigley

For the reasons of not wanting that poo poo in my neighborhood, I have to disagree. Any other year I'd be down. I mean, not last year either, but you get me.

It's bad enough now. Wife said she saw literally dozens of unmasked yahoos going past the apartment. I am not amused, gently caress you Rickettses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

i would say dc, but there's that statehood problem