Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

Gaius Marius posted:

More of a character study then? I can probably dig on that, Everything I've seen before was peeps saying it was mostly a shock fest. I'm sure some enjoy that but for me the second I get to it I unlock my mouse wheel and let it fly until it's over, I have no reason to read pages about people getting bounced off jelly or what not.

I probably shouldn't talk about exactly what it is I love, since its wrapped up in spoilers. But I think it should be fine for you. I also think you will probably (like me) enjoy the second half more. Particularly episodes 6 - 8.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

MegaZeroX posted:

I probably shouldn't talk about exactly what it is I love, since its wrapped up in spoilers. But I think it should be fine for you. I also think you will probably (like me) enjoy the second half more. Particularly episodes 6 - 8.

I'll Trust you Jack Frost, Just don't steal my Macca

ENOUGH META TALK
It's time for EP 5 Umineko Spoilers

Okay Calling it now
Beato GM for 1-4 Blondie for 5 And then either Berk or Blondie for 6 Then, I can feel it Battler is gonna get the board, these witches don't get it beleiveing in the impossible is the most powerful of magic's. Battler is an absolute mad lad with a skull denser than dark matter, once he realizes it he's gonna be coming back with a vengeance

Wildcard, Ange comes back for a spot in the GM role, but I bet it's kid Ange and not the Teenage Version

I think the game is trying to get me to fall in a groove with Battler, I however am a 2000iq individual and realize that he's a motherfucker who shrikes responsibility like a motherfucker.

Gaius Marius fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Apr 2, 2021

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I just remembered that Zero Time Dilemma came out five years ago and suddenly I feel very old.

I bought Steins; Gate months ago and I still need to play it, someone convince me how good it is without giving me any real spoilers.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

PMush Perfect posted:

I bought Steins; Gate months ago and I still need to play it, someone convince me how good it is without giving me any real spoilers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_mslZSL9Z84

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Do not skip chapter 3 of Higurashi, what the hell. It's very good and like every other chapter it's critical to the overall story.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Yeah that is possibly the single worst piece of VN reading advice I've ever seen. What the hell, lmao

HydroSphere
Feb 11, 2014

Finished Root Film last night.

It is an improvement on Root Letter, but still has a few definite flaws.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Couple of thoughts from the past page:

Higurashi is a very noticeably more amateur, doujin work with how it is written and paced, but that is part of the charm honestly. It's part of the fun to see it start off all over the place (while still having a lot of impact, the first chapter is iconic) and gradually zero in on the threads that work the best. Even things like the cast corners and author post-mortems are part of that (which was subsequently subverted with Umineko's Tea Parties). But ultimately nothing is skippable either, everything is either important for laying the groundwork for the mystery or (more importantly) used as a means to develop and define the characters. The actions the cast take in the Answer chapters is hugely more meaningful if you've seen how they acted in the Question arcs.

Umineko has the best music that there's been in a game, VN or not, so it's unfair to expect any other VN to live up to it in that regard. But many of the artists in Umineko also worked on Higurashi so it does still have a lot of tracks that are classics. The caveat is that they're all in the back half of the VN because the first four chapters used some royalty free tracks or whatever and it's kind of whatever. But it's all worth it so you can get to "you".

While I think Umineko is better in some very noticeable/valuable ways (it's way more narratively ambitious, it does some riveting things with its characters that I don't want to even hint at for spoilers, the music obviously) I actually still think I prefer the actual mystery in Higurashi as a more straightforward sort of murder mystery. I also think there is more pathos and heart to the cast, with the eventual payoff by the end of it all extremely satisfying (which is part of why all of the follow up Higurashi for the most part have felt superfluous).

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I been reading higurashi myself after multiple false starts over the past 2 years, on chapter 4. I feel like I am figuring stuff out but it really feel like it shouldn't count because I am playing with some extra cards in my hand since i been spoiled on some stuff through osmosis over time.

Ryukishi just really loves Chapter 3s going off the rails 4 has a stronger start then the previous stuff so far, really like the shift and different feel.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Oh yeah also: I wouldn't worry about getting spoiled about stuff all that much. I only read the VN after watching the (decent but very mediocre in spots) anime and therefore treated the VN as more of a rewatch and came away from it loving it orders of magnitude more than the show. Knowing the broad details ahead of time I don't think matters all that much.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
oh my god

e: this mahjong scene is fun

Snooze Cruise fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Apr 2, 2021

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

PMush Perfect posted:

I just remembered that Zero Time Dilemma came out five years ago and suddenly I feel very old.

https://youtu.be/mMHvi2aw364

cropoval
Feb 17, 2020

If you can track it down, listening to the console version of this scene with the voice acting is very good.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

cropoval posted:

If you can track it down, listening to the console version of this scene with the voice acting is very good.

I have the 07th mod install so I got to hear it

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
That was my favorite one yet I think. Like Akasaka. Has an interesting place in the story. The story going a bit more mask off with Rika knowing about the time loop is good too. I feel like a clever cookie for seeing what was going on with her cutting the phone lines early. The moment where she asks for help is good even if he failed :pensive emoji:

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
Steins gate, though it starts very slow, is my favorite vn based on to me an insanely good final third or so

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

This one's for you, Morph.
-Evo 2013
In my opinion Steins;gate isn't the best VN but it has the least glaring weaknesses of any I've read. I'm sure it has flaws, but *waves hands wildly, "by VN standards"*

Though now that I say that the cellphone message gameplay was pretty janky

hepcat
Jan 21, 2004
"Don't blame me, I voted for Kodos..."

PMush Perfect posted:

Steins;gate has the best balance of drama, humor, romance, and sci-fi geekery that I’ve ever encountered in a VN. Its characters are memorable and mostly likeable. Its plot twists are devastating, but nothing comes completely out of left field (well, maybe one twist does…); the story is incredibly well thought out and every one of the many questions you have will eventually be answered. The true ending is my favorite from any VN, and almost any other piece of fiction I can think of tbh.

Don't be deterred by the slow pace of the first few chapters. Pretty much all that stuff becomes important later on.

Finally, I want to emphasize the humor again. Steins;gate is laugh out loud funny on multiple occasions, a feature lacking in quite a few VN’s that I otherwise truly admire.

Stop reading this and go play it now.

Myriad Truths
Oct 13, 2012
I just finished with the True Ending of Chaos;Child. Overall: It was very good. I liked Takuru quite a bit as a protagonist, and most of the cast was also good. I didn't think that much of Uki or Hana, but Takuru, Serika, Hinae, Nono, and Mio were all a lot of fun.

The character routes were kind of a weak point overall. I know Nono's is well regarded, and I really liked her as Senri both there and in the true ending, but the conflict in that route is really dumb in the first place, considering it was a victimless crime. Hinae's route wasn't really Hinae at her best, and the ending was senselessly edgy even for the game with all the gruesome serial killings. Hana's route was pretty wild, but I was kind of disappointed at how having fantasy monsters roaming around the city wasn't enough to serve as a conflict so they had to make Wakui do it instead. And Uki's route was just kind of short and predictable.

Serika as the villain in the common route was really good, and she has some great lines and expressions. I didn't like Sakuma much, though, and I thought he made for a pretty bad mastermind. Wakui was slightly more tolerable, maybe, but they could have easily been combined. Most of the Committee of 300 stuff in the series isn't good, it makes villains with confused motivations and vague methods. Which is why Serika makes for a much stronger presence, for sure.

The Chaos Child twist in the true end really shocked me, for sure. I had to stop and think about it for a while because it seemed so crazy. That said, I'm not too sure what the point was. It wasn't a twist that explained many unanswered mysteries. I think the one that it did explain is why Mio was so sure Serika wasn't a psychic, which I had been wondering about. It felt a little forced, but it did catch me off guard, I'll give it that. I was happy with the True End overall, other than the aforementioned thing it was about what I expected.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Myriad Truths posted:

I just finished with the True Ending of Chaos;Child. Overall: It was very good. :words:

Chaos child being good is super surprising given my very limited experience with it's predecessor.

Umnineko EP5 Spoilers
Eirika getting to use Red text on board is some straight goofiness

Ah the tape trick, the cheapest way to see if someones invading your domicile
Am I having a stroke or did all the Stakes change hair color?

I do appreciate them mentioning Beato falls into a pattern then as soon as we get Lambda as a GM things go right off the rails

If Eirika is taking the Detectives authority Battler needs to take the Audience Surrogates position, after all what's more powerful than a Watson in defeating a Sherlock

Everytime Eva screams Jouji I get filthy Frank in my head and it's killing my concentration

Gaius Marius fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Apr 3, 2021

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Stefan Prodan posted:

Steins gate, though it starts very slow, is my favorite vn based on to me an insanely good final third or so

out of all the VNs I've played I think S;G sticks the ending the best

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Feels Villeneuve posted:

out of all the VNs I've played I think S;G sticks the ending the best

I liked St4ein gate, but the end of Muv Luv hit me like a truck kun. It wasn't objectively great but after everything that had happened the sheer catharsis was palatable.

I'll also give a shout out to the final fight in Heaven's Feel, It might not be my favorite route but goddamn is that fight at the end just, absolute pure unadulterated perfect in every way

Umineko 5
Lol Lambda is stealing corpses

Am I losing it or are their hair colors chaning every scene?

Beato referencing noted dumbshit Zhuge Liang felt real weird even if it's apropos

OPh hoh Ryukyushi, Invited as councilors and then won, almost like my boy battleman

I love The author even if hes a oval office

I've never wanted to tell an anime char to gently caress off as much as miss eirika

I love her in a platonic way

Jesus she's putting people on blast, shes disgustingly similar to mine own thought process. I hate her so much

Eirkia calling someone out only to get put on blast makes me feel seen in a way I don't think I can Comprehend. Umineko is one of the greatest literature of ever

I am Not even kidding Author has got me pegged in ways that are literally uncomfortable to read, absolute motherfduck

Gaius Marius fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Apr 3, 2021

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

PMush Perfect posted:

An important bit early on is a combination microwave/cell phone called, verbatim, the "Phonewave (name subject to change)", the main character will ruin every other chuuni archetype character out there for you, and it'll still manage to make you laugh and cry a bunch.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

PMush Perfect posted:

More importantly, I won't think you're cool until you play it.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Steins;Gate is my favorite VN, full stop. I know that there are others that are better in some senses (if you want drama and tragedy, there's Fata Morgana, for instance), but S;G is just the kind of pulp that I'm into. Even the parts of it that aren't so popular around here (like the long initial buildup) I'm a fan of.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

It got me to drink so much Dr,Pepper

Umi Five
Can I just say how masterful the author is in confirming te existence of a ladder that can reach the second story in chap5 and not lingering on it so much that people gloss over it, despite it being allowed to exist in every permutation of the mystery. loving absolute genius

Gaius Marius fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Apr 3, 2021

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Erika showing up felt like someone's terrible fanfic OC suddenly showing up on Rokkenjima and I mean that in the best, funniest possible way

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Erika showing up felt like someone's terrible fanfic OC suddenly showing up on Rokkenjima and I mean that in the best, funniest possible way

She's so Good at it too, Just shows up and everyone immediately fawning over how cool, intelligent, and refined she is.

She is literally in every way a poochy and I can't wait to see her return to her home planet.

I'm actually really liking the turn for having Blondie and Berk be the Baddies. They're reprehensible in a way that makes my skin crawl.
I'm curious to see how they fall, There's zero way they take more than this gameboard and maybe the next. I got a strong feeling the last board is gonna be Battler finally taking charge, dude's been talking about spinning the chessboard for five EP's but he still hasn't realized that if you wanna put yourself in another's shoes you need to actually fully commit

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Umineko Ep5

Weaponizing Knox's commandments, now I've seen everything

You know if Natsuhi pulled a weekend at Bernies/ the inquisotr red truth and Beato's blue could both be valid

I loving Died at Dianor's Engrish

Oh but battler was like Kinzo, weird it's like I been saying that for chapters now

If battler fucks this chance up man. C'mon you got the brains you got the skills. Let's do this poo poo

Beautiful, Battler finally didn't disappoint
I need to get that image in 1440p

Gaius Marius fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Apr 5, 2021

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I finished AI: The Somnium Files today.

I liked it a lot! The writing was great, the characters are generally charming, and the story is internally consistent and well-telegraphed. Game fuckin’ chugged on the Switch, though.

The mystery was good and like I said, all the clues are in the open, the player just has to put them together. That said, that also means the player doesn’t really get surprised by anything. By the time I started thinking about Date’s past, I had pretty much already figured out that he was Saito’s body inhabited by someone else in the past, since the game was already talking about body swaps and Six Years Ago ‘n poo poo.

I think the only thing I was actually surprised by was Date-brain being an amnesiac #89/Falco because the machine broke, rather than not having any memories cause he was once an AI like Aiba. I kinda would have preferred a reveal like that one, but being Falco instead is too good for Hitomi and Iris to pass up.

It also could have done a little bit more with the branching path thing, given Uchikoshi’s tendencies to pull some meta bullshit out of a hat. I figured the weird heartbeat things to be related to that (what’s the explanation for those, by the way?), but nope. I seriously expected some sort of meta twist to arise, but none did. I guess that’s the twist :v: Maybe I’m just too used to Uchikoshi.

I guess my one complaint is that at the end, everything was basically explained, but I kinda felt...dissatisfied, almost? Like it wasn’t actually over yet, and that there was still something left to discover, cause it didn’t feel completely tied up nicely yet. That said, I can’t think of any reason why I feel like that. Am I missing something? A hidden ending or epilogue, maybe?

All in all, great game! My only concern is the above ending thing, I feel like this game’s missing one last denouement or something.

Also, someone wanted to know what routes I finished in order:

- Iris
- Ota
- Mizuki
- Annihilation
- Resolution

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
Talking about mystery stuff, I decided to read the Tokyo Zodiac Murders just for fun during this, I was curious: realistically, do you think anyone actually solves this on their own? I feel like if you haven't heard of the trick that the detective explains there's just no way you would come up with it. I mean that's why it's good and all, you could solve it, you just won't. But I was just wondering if anyone actually has.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
My wife has been getting into VNs a lot recently and is looking for more. I want to get her some for her birthday. She likes mystery, romance (all gender pairings) and branching oath narrative, but doesn't care for long live the queen style management or trial and error style game play. Also she can't do horror or gore. Do yell have any recommendations? recently she liked monster high, disco elysium, and an anime wizard school game I forget the name of.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Impermanent posted:

and an anime wizard school game I forget the name of.

fuckin' hell yeah magical diary

There is two of those now so if she only played one then the other would be a good grab.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Pollyanna posted:

I finished AI: The Somnium Files today.
AITSF is one of my favorite games ever.

It's definitely more grounded than some other Uchikoshi stuff, and I agree that it felt like the lack of a meta twist really was the twist. The plot locks system still implies some kind of collective subconscious thing is going on, but I imagine that's being saved for the theoretical sequel, like how 999 only scratched the surface of the absolutely batshit metaphysics we'd get in VLR and ZTD. (My personal pet theory is that Wadjet is real, and a quantum computer that can predict every possible timeline, and all the different 'dead end' routes are ones it calculates as possible, but not 'actually' happening. How Aiba and Date tie into it, I'm not sure, but it'll be very Uchikoshi.)

And after so many Uchikoshi games that have endings that are bittersweet at best, it was really nice to play one that just had a good old-fashioned happy ending. :unsmith:

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Apr 5, 2021

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Impermanent posted:

My wife has been getting into VNs a lot recently and is looking for more. I want to get her some for her birthday. She likes mystery, romance (all gender pairings) and branching oath narrative, but doesn't care for long live the queen style management or trial and error style game play. Also she can't do horror or gore. Do yell have any recommendations? recently she liked monster high, disco elysium, and an anime wizard school game I forget the name of.
The two things that came to mind re: mystery without horror/gore were Uchikoshi's body of work (Zero Escape games and topically AI: The Somnium Files) and 428: Shibuya Scramble which is honestly more of a madcap comedy than a mystery but still has a goofy 24 thriller going for it that might work. Maybe Steins;Gate too though that doesn't really do much in the way of branching and while I wouldn't really call it gorey it can get pretty intense.

Beyond that I don't know, like there's Key's output for branching romance (so something like Summer Pockets, probably) but you might have to use your best judgement there because those VNs are long and melodramatic no one usually plays them without knowing exactly what they are getting into.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

the Zero Escapes and AI all have some very gory moments, unfortunately

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

AI gets uncomfortably gory, even for me, a Seasoned Internet Veteran. :reject:

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Well I'm out of ideas.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I forget how gory Raging Loop gets; I know there are definitely descriptions of gore

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Hwurmp posted:

I forget how gory Raging Loop gets; I know there are definitely descriptions of gore
There are some pretty intense bits, it's definitely not something I would recommend to the gore-averse.

The end of the Wit route and basically everything to do with Rikako's backstory comes to mind.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Apr 5, 2021