Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Milo and POTUS posted:

What the hell are engineers supposed to do on those maps differently

not exist, your presence saps fun from the universe

alternatively throw down a dispenser somewhere and then just go shoot people with the widowmaker

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Usually the complaint I heard was minis on a KOTH map.

iroguebot
Feb 15, 2001

Nerf this!

Any exact reason that these Quarantine and Confidential crates suddenly jumped in value? I've been out of TF2 trading for years but noticed people sending me hilariously one sided trades for my crates, I checked the value and selling them on steam they're going for like 5 dollars each. Should I sell them now or just hold onto them? The only thing I'd really use Steambux (tm) for is to buy Apex legends coins or something, idk.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Mini's are often only an issue if you lack soldiers or people that can actually shoot them and take them out quickly. Of course given this is TF2 half your team will probably be spy and sniper and you'll just be frustrated the whole time.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
when I'm sniping I actually make it a point to plink sentries when I see them. a fully charged shot will 1-hit a mini or level 1 and it will knock a significant chunk off even a level 3, if there's anyone else shooting it then it will probably go down quick

obviously it goes into my triage list of targets (medics first, other snipers, etc) but sentries are definitely on the list of things I will shoot as sniper

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

https://twitter.com/Rad_Demo/status/1373700966873202691

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Milo and POTUS posted:

Since I've seen more than different people complain about it in matches, are sentries on koth maps really considered bad manner or is it just typical pubbie complaining. What the hell are engineers supposed to do on those maps differently

Unless it's your own team is complaining you are probably doing a good job. That being said on koth just have fun with another class and go and attack.

Jippa fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Apr 2, 2021

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
honor is fake, coat the map in mini sentries, complainers can go direct hit soldier if it bothers them so much

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Huntsman is really good at bullying minis also

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
The truth is there isn't any class in TF2 that people won't complain about when it's killing them.

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006
The only time I can see people getting annoyed is Hightower since it’s a meme map.

I get more frustrated when I go on uncletopia and a payload offense has 2 engineers hugging the cart spamming short circuit orbs. Usually the server also has multiple heavy medic combos so it because an instant win because of it since demo and soldier are usually the only way to clear multiple heavy medic combos.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

IronicDongz posted:

honor is fake, coat the map in mini sentries, complainers can go direct hit soldier if it bothers them so much

agreed, signed the engineer building on rooftops in doublecross

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Direct Hit soldier is the way to go on hightower anyway, you get to poo poo on the mini sentry spammers and the enemy soldiers trying to jump up to your tower

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

IronicDongz posted:

People who use the Direct Hit for fighting Sentries are scum, it's damage bonus should really only apply against players not buildings as well

Peanut President posted:

agreed, signed the engineer building on rooftops in doublecross

Ah good times, good times...

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

drrockso20 posted:

People who use the Direct Hit for fighting Sentries are scum, it's damage bonus should really only apply against players not buildings as well

Ah good times, good times...

the direct hit should not have a damage bonus, this is the exact same lesson that was learned with the Loch and Load

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

cock hero flux posted:

the direct hit should not have a damage bonus, this is the exact same lesson that was learned with the Loch and Load

it always kind of bugged me how many times they felt the need to adjust the loch and load while they never looked at the direct hit. i did not think it was broken with 2 shots if i'm honest? like, i feel like the balance changes started being straight downgrades and things i disagreed with and thought were dumb after a while - they ruined the cow mangler for no reason. they fuckin ruined the babyface blaster and i loved that gun. i guess there's no point still being salty about it but i honestly wish there was a much, much more active look at balancing, like i wish anything was more actively worked on :sigh:

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
the only balance change i really want at the moment is the short circuit should block you getting ammo from dispensers/carts

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

CoolCab posted:

it always kind of bugged me how many times they felt the need to adjust the loch and load while they never looked at the direct hit. i did not think it was broken with 2 shots if i'm honest? like, i feel like the balance changes started being straight downgrades and things i disagreed with and thought were dumb after a while - they ruined the cow mangler for no reason. they fuckin ruined the babyface blaster and i loved that gun. i guess there's no point still being salty about it but i honestly wish there was a much, much more active look at balancing, like i wish anything was more actively worked on :sigh:

the babyface blaster was a gun that was broken purely because of a bug and the fact that they murdered it so hard that it died to death instead of just fixing the bug is very emblematic of tf2's general balancing quality

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

cock hero flux posted:

See I'm fine with it being a Scout and Spy deleter, it's it being an easy way to nuke Sentries that I have a problem with, they're already way too easy to destroy* by a team that knows what they're doing

*my dream side-grade for Engineer would be an item that replaces your Sentry with one that can't be upgraded but in exchange it has more range than a regular Sentry and it has double the health of a Level 3 regular Sentry, to balance it out it would also cost more to construct than a regular level 1(say 150 metal rather than 130) and/or takes twice as long to construct or redeploy than stock, and lastly the item that grants this takes up the Pistol slot so you can't use the Wrangler with it(this is why it has a longer range and why I don't think it having so much health would be all that broken as it would have about as much health as a Wrangled Level 3 Sentry effectively has)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

cock hero flux posted:

the babyface blaster was a gun that was broken purely because of a bug and the fact that they murdered it so hard that it died to death instead of just fixing the bug is very emblematic of tf2's general balancing quality

Agreed, though I have gotten some enjoyment out of the BFB again after watching the Bad Weapon Academy video on it and paired it up with the Flying Guillotine and the Wrap Assassin as it makes the weapon so much more usable when you have a quick ranged way to fill up a sizable chunk of your boost meter all at once(and continue filling it through bleed damage), also Triple Meter Scout is a thing of beauty

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
If they're going to do the dumb thing where the LnL doesn't do any additional damage against players they should have grenades detonate on contact with surfaces, maybe just with a smaller blast radius or only doing half damage or something.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Baron von Eevl posted:

If they're going to do the dumb thing where the LnL doesn't do any additional damage against players they should have grenades detonate on contact with surfaces, maybe just with a smaller blast radius or only doing half damage or something.

no, see, the lesson learned with the loch and load was "a weapon concept where splash damage from ground hits is disabled but in exchange the player is rewarded for direct hits with increased damage is undermined and rendered broken and imbalanced if it also makes direct hits much easier to land than stock does". Both the direct hit and loch and load have significantly faster projectiles which makes it much, much easier to land direct hits with them, which means that rewarding those hits with even more damage no longer makes any sense and just results in the weapon being the Scout Deleter 9000. A weapon that is practically hitscan(but with the projectile hitbox) at close range and instakills 4/9 classes is not balanced or fun to play against.

this was recognized when looking at the loch and load, a weapon that: had no splash damage at all if you missed, had a reduced clip size, had a comparatively modest projectile speed bonus, and, most notably, didn't actually reliably oneshot anything and needed to gamble on damage variance. it was thus, quite justifiably, nerfed

meanwhile, the direct hit: has the same clip size as stock, still does splash damage on misses(just in a smaller area), has an enormous projectile speed bonus and will always one-shot a 125 hp class at close range. it remains untouched because soldier weapons aren't allowed to be nerfed unless they're already bad(in which case they will be inexplicably pile-driven into the ground)

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Splash and the pushback from splash is such a major part of the soldiers kit that losing it hurts him pretty heavily. There's a reason most people use the stock

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Fun thing to do with the Loch and Load: bully sentries on Upward last. With its projectile speed, you can reliably hit any sentry on the platforms above RED's spawn from the doorway next to that medium ammo pack under the stairs facing the RED spawn. The grenade launcher or iron bomber can't hit from there.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Grapplejack posted:

Splash and the pushback from splash is such a major part of the soldiers kit that losing it hurts him pretty heavily. There's a reason most people use the stock

honestly as a scout I'd almost rather face DH than stock :shrug: it can make for an ugly surprise when you turn a corner and run into a DH point blank but once you know what you're up against and adjust accordingly it's not that big a deal.

now spies on the other hand just get turbofucked since they don't have the luxury of dodging or disengaging. hang on, let me fire up the electron microscope to locate a violin small enough...

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
i have always had a soft spot for broken or otherwise meta warping weapons, at least for a little while. god i was explaining to a friend once how good the equalizer was when it first came out and i was like "not only was it too good, it was so good they had to split it into two items with half the functionality each, then both of those items needed nerfed, repeatedly."

man remember back when you could cap with the quickfix uber? i pulled some herculian poo poo with that back in the day on stalemates at the end of upward and poo poo like that. also disagree with that nerf tbh - i kinda wish they stopped balancing for comp and just accepted that was inherently different then core play and needed a different item set.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Grapplejack posted:

yes, it's because most people who play soldier are used to being able to click the left mouse button and receive kills while where they've actually placed their crosshair remains largely irrelevant. the idea that when someone jukes their aim and causes them to fire in completely the wrong direction that person might actually not get hit is so abhorrent to them that even giving them the ability to oneshot people isn't enough of an incentive

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

cock hero flux posted:

used to being able to click the left mouse button and receive kills while where they've actually placed their crosshair remains largely irrelevant

as a huntsman-using sniper, i feel attacked

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

cock hero flux posted:

yes, it's because most people who play soldier are used to being able to click the left mouse button and receive kills while where they've actually placed their crosshair remains largely irrelevant. the idea that when someone jukes their aim and causes them to fire in completely the wrong direction that person might actually not get hit is so abhorrent to them that even giving them the ability to oneshot people isn't enough of an incentive

See that's why the Beggar's Bazooka is the best Rocket Launcher

Butt Detective
Mar 24, 2013

Only the dead can know peace from these hats.
I feel like people are forgetting the DH gets damage falloff while the LnL didn’t/doesn’t. You can stay out of one-shot range with the DH, but you couldn’t with the old LnL, which was why it was dumber

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

drrockso20 posted:

*my dream side-grade for Engineer would be an item that replaces your Sentry with one that can't be upgraded but in exchange it has more range than a regular Sentry and it has double the health of a Level 3 regular Sentry, to balance it out it would also cost more to construct than a regular level 1(say 150 metal rather than 130) and/or takes twice as long to construct or redeploy than stock, and lastly the item that grants this takes up the Pistol slot so you can't use the Wrangler with it(this is why it has a longer range and why I don't think it having so much health would be all that broken as it would have about as much health as a Wrangled Level 3 Sentry effectively has)

Is the heavy not still a class in this game?

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

cock hero flux posted:

The Liberty Launcher was much worse.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Reiley posted:

Is the heavy not still a class in this game?

The idea is more that it would be somewhat the opposite play style of using the Wrangler, rather than having to micromanage your Sentry, it'll be durable and long ranged enough to protect itself from most any singular threat so you can focus more on other activities, so yeah there's some overlap with Mini-Sentries but rather than being disposable and fast building they're instead meant to be more of a long term defensive building

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Victory Position posted:

The Liberty Launcher was much worse.

lol remember when the liberty launcher was the noob crutch. different times

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

i was happy to find that tf2 runs ok on my really bad laptop. i havent played since the demoman sword update and despite half the games being full of aimbots this is still the most fun ive ever had with a multiplayer shooter when you can get a good match going.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

CoolCab posted:

What was the mangler like before? It's my current favorite soldier weapon because I don't have to worry about ammo

drrockso20 posted:

See that's why the Beggar's Bazooka is the best Rocket Launcher

I like this one a lot too against clumps :)

Milo and POTUS fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Apr 3, 2021

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Butt Detective posted:

I feel like people are forgetting the DH gets damage falloff while the LnL didn’t/doesn’t. You can stay out of one-shot range with the DH, but you couldn’t with the old LnL, which was why it was dumber

i'm remembering it and, while deleting people across the map with the LNL was awful, it was, again, like a 30% chance on hit instead of guaranteed. the DH also one-shots people at the range in which most combat with those classes actually takes place. staying out of that range essentially requires you to just not be engaging that soldier at all.

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006
I think the instant one shot on 125 hero’s is stupid. I don’t mind the buildings because then it’s a sentry buster weapon. Being able to delete 4 classes at shotgun range where it’s basically a hitscan weapon is dumb.

Couple in the fact that a lot of cheaters use it so they can say they are just really good and not infact using an aimbot is annoying as well.

Anarch
Feb 22, 2011

In the midnight hour...

iroguebot posted:

Any exact reason that these Quarantine and Confidential crates suddenly jumped in value? I've been out of TF2 trading for years but noticed people sending me hilariously one sided trades for my crates, I checked the value and selling them on steam they're going for like 5 dollars each. Should I sell them now or just hold onto them? The only thing I'd really use Steambux (tm) for is to buy Apex legends coins or something, idk.

These are among the earliest cases that had case global unusual effects; cases are distinct from crates because during events the effect pool in cases is replaced with event unusual effects to make limited edition unusual hats. The Quarantine case has a better loot pool for this over the Confidential case, which is why it's about double the price (~$5 / two keys for Quarantine vs ~$2.50 / one key for Confidential). I really can't explain the recent skyrocketing of price because there's no event currently and probably won't be for several months... perhaps people are investing their relief checks in Invasion cases? Might be a good time to cash it, or you can hold on and see if the trend continues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

just played a game of upward defense where I dominated a heavy solely from airblasting him off the cliff