Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

chamois posted:

get owned cobb county assholes

Good on MLB for actually taking a stand, I really expected them to do nothing.

"The real victims are the poor business owners :qq:"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
The law is poo poo but like, this actually does do some damage for Atlanta area business right? Especially since I'm sure a lot of the entertainment/tourism industry in that area took a dive from the pandemic too?

Hopefully this will get them to actually look at the law and how stupid they are buuuut I doubt it.

Or am I thinking about this in an entirely wrong way? The games usually bring in like 60-70m into the area.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Thom P. Tiers posted:

The law is poo poo but like, this actually does do some damage for Atlanta area business right? Especially since I'm sure a lot of the entertainment/tourism industry in that area took a dive from the pandemic too?

Hopefully this will get them to actually look at the law and how stupid they are buuuut I doubt it.

Or am I thinking about this in an entirely wrong way?

I mean boycotts by default cause collateral damage. It’s just how it works. The hope is if the cause is just than the good outweighs the bad.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Thom P. Tiers posted:

:laffo:

No. No it won't.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Thom P. Tiers posted:

Or am I thinking about this in an entirely wrong way? The games usually bring in like 60-70m into the area.

Yes this will hurt businesses but the real victims are people being disenfranchised by voting restriction laws. Business need to take this up with their representatives who caused this to happen.

Also I'm not convinced Manfred did this for the right reason and it wasn't just a lucky coincidence of him trying to shorten the ASG game time down to 0.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Crazy Ted posted:

:laffo:

No. No it won't.

That lovely trans law in Carolina got dumped in part due to boycotts so it isn't impossible

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
As a general principle, I would prefer if people left offsite stuff off the site, even if (especially if) they are posting about how everyone here is their posting enemy.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Popete posted:

Also I'm not convinced Manfred did this for the right reason and it wasn't just a lucky coincidence of him trying to shorten the ASG game time down to 0.

One weird trick to shorten pace of play, Republicans hate it!

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Popete posted:

I'm not convinced loving AT ALL he did it for the right reason. I guarantee you there were sponsors contacting MLB and telling them to get the hell out of Georgia or we are out. Just like Washington and FedEx. The sponsors just didn't have to make it public before it happening. $$$ rules.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Thom P. Tiers posted:

I'm not convinced loving AT ALL he did it for the right reason. I guarantee you there were sponsors contacting MLB and telling them to get the hell out of Georgia or we are out. Just like Washington and FedEx. The sponsors just didn't have to make it public before it happening. $$$ rules.

Does it really matter if they did it for the “right reasons”

Tweezer Reprise
Aug 6, 2013

It hasn't got six strings, but it's a lot of fun.
That's the closest any giant for-profit entity can ever get to doing something for the right reasons, though.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Baseball is real and good and fun and even when my boys lose 90 games along the way it's gonna be worth the ride. :unsmith:

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Artix posted:

Baseball is real and good and fun and even when my boys lose 90 games along the way it's gonna be worth the ride. :unsmith:

i disagree baseball is miserable and causes me great anguish and i'm going to enjoy every second of it

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

https://twitter.com/FabianArdaya/status/1378112098698321920

didnt like that demotion to AAA very much

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
wasn't Maddon in charge when La Stella went walkabout too?

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

he mad

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Julio Cruz posted:

wasn't Maddon in charge when La Stella went walkabout too?

Yeah but I don't think these decisions are up to Maddon. La Stella was going through some relationship stuff at the time if I remember correctly and didn't take another demotion well, almost quit playing all together.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Suntrust Park or whatever the gently caress it is now is literally in the middle of a giant suburban strip mall across the street from a Red Lobster, it's an absolutely bizarre move to make in the twenty-first century when most sports franchises have been trying to put their stadiums in more urbanized, walkable areas.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Hahaha hahaha hahaha this owns.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Popete posted:

Yeah but I don't think these decisions are up to Maddon. La Stella was going through some relationship stuff at the time if I remember correctly and didn't take another demotion well, almost quit playing all together.
I don't think it's the most terribly shocking thing ever for a journeyman who had one decent season to look at a demotion to the minors after making it through Covid Hell Year 2020 and say "Ah gently caress it".

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Suntrust Park or whatever the gently caress it is now is literally in the middle of a giant suburban strip mall across the street from a Red Lobster, it's an absolutely bizarre move to make in the twenty-first century when most sports franchises have been trying to put their stadiums in more urbanized, walkable areas.
IIRC, political and monetary fuckery aside wasn't a good part of the decision for the location of the stadium made due to the front office mapping out where the largest cluster of their season ticket holder base came from?

Crazy Ted fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Apr 2, 2021

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Ty Butt Tray

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Popete posted:

yeah I'm not saying that it's Maddon's fault, it's just interesting that a guy walking out after being demoted is nearly unheard of and then it happens twice to the same manager

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Julio Cruz posted:

yeah I'm not saying that it's Maddon's fault, it's just interesting that a guy walking out after being demoted is nearly unheard of and then it happens twice to the same manager

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

R.D. Mangles posted:

i disagree baseball is miserable and causes me great anguish and i'm going to enjoy also hate every second of it

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Chuds hating one of the most chuddy sports is pretty funny. Not gonna lie.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Owners find new ways to save a couple nickles I see.

https://twitter.com/jjcoop36/status/1377815223617392642

chilihead
Nov 5, 2010

Is this real life, or is this fantasy?

Thom P. Tiers posted:

I don't believe this at all.No way there was that much advertising behemoths like the NFL with Colin. This was from the players union and the players. I honestly believe this and if i'm wrong the change in the last few years is amazing.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

mcmagic posted:

Chuds hating one of the most chuddy sports is pretty funny. Not gonna lie.
poo poo remember how mad these same people got at the NFL because one player started kneeling during the national anthem?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Sydin posted:

Still better than the absurd 5 rounds or whatever it was in 2020

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Sydin posted:

still twice the size it needs to be

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
Seeing chuds online calling for the end of baseball's antitrust exemption as a result of this, as if this is the thing that's going to do it.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
I always kinda liked the draft days when they would just go until every team had selected the kids of everyone in the front office and gotten bored with calling out random names. Especially since once in a great while you would get a Piazza or someone out of it.

hmm that was an unexpected doublepost instead of one edited post

elentar fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Apr 3, 2021

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

bewbies posted:

The problem with that: UDFAs are capped at very small signing bonuses so in this case a 20-round draft is really just a way for MLB to pinch pennies.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

bewbies posted:

Eh, the late draft rounds are fun and, in a callous way, necessary. Fun because every once in a blue moon some nobody late rounder puts it together and it's always a fun story, and necessary because there simply aren't enough capital P Prospects to field multiple minor leagues worth of teams, so you need filler guys for those prospects to play and develop against.

The whole idea MLB originally had was to drastically cut down the draft, and put everybody else in "Dreamer Leagues" which would basically act as a filler farm teams could pull from as needed, except with less signing bonuses given out and guys in said league somehow being paid and treated even worse than MiLB guys are now.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
so, I dunno, get rid of the bloated system of affiliated minor league ball and let indie and college baseball breathe properly again

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

bewbies posted:

so, I dunno, get rid of the bloated system of affiliated minor league ball and let indie and college baseball breathe properly again
The problem with that: Major League Baseball now pretty much directly controls minor league baseball. They've even signed some kind of agreements with a couple of the indie leagues over the winter, so even those leagues are starting to get pulled in a bit.

Major League Baseball was basically able to use the Covid pandemic to put one hell of a squeeze on non-MLB baseball in the United States.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

bewbies posted:

Unless the financial landscape of college sports and indie ball attendance changes dramatically all this results in is less young players getting paid so ownership can save a few nickels. Yes, MiLB guys get paid like absolute dogshit, but that's still more than the "nothing" and "might as well be nothing" you get playing for a university or in Indie ball.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Sydin posted:

Unless the financial landscape of college sports and indie ball attendance changes dramatically all this results in is less young players getting paid so ownership can save a few nickels. Yes, MiLB guys get paid like absolute dogshit, but that's still more than the "nothing" and "might as well be nothing" you get playing for a university or in Indie ball.

well, MLBs cornering of the baseball market by dominating the minor league tree and raiding college ball wasn't accidental. this anticompetitive effort goes back decades.

I get this is an anti owner rant but you're mad at them for the wrong thing.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

bewbies posted:

well, MLBs cornering of the baseball market by dominating the minor league tree and raiding college ball wasn't accidental. this anticompetitive effort goes back decades.
Hell it goes all the way back to the 1920s when Branch Rickey, IIRC, used the economic conditions of the Great Depression to snap up minor league teams on extremely favorable terms and make them direct affiliates of the St. Louis Cardinals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
https://twitter.com/Marlins/status/1378127315603951617

Good for Jeets.