Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LodeRunner
Dec 27, 2003

Go on, take the money and run.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Lmao if you think you can just start your own hospital, grassroots style

Maybe you're forgetting the part where he has a vision.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Slide Hammer posted:

I forgot to mention that the "they" used in that paragraph refers to the police, but you're right, in that they're usually called on to do that by someone in the neighborhood. No idea who (it is NYC, after all. Might as well be sharing a flat with someone who lives across the country). Parking is at a premium... usually. What pissed me off about this is that that block has good parking availability (even if it's full in front of your house, you can easily find parking if you're willing to walk, like, 50 feet), and that I even took pains to make sure that I wasn't parked offensively.

I'm glad the new battery solved the problem. Like it's been said in the other thread, weird electrical problems = malfunctioning battery, 90% of the time.

NYPD hates bikes. Sucks but also true.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

builds character posted:

NYPD hates bikes. Sucks but also true.t

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

LodeRunner posted:

Maybe you're forgetting the part where he has a vision.

I really hope his fever dream abates soon. He's going to get people killed on his stupid race track.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Steakandchips posted:

I really hope his fever dream abates soon. He's going to get people killed on his stupid race track.

What do you mean. He’s going to be saving lives keeping people out of puddles.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Dude's got a real crazy roman emperor vibe to him

I AM IN TALKS WITH THE SENATE TO FLOOD THE COLOSEUM AND HAVE A NAVAL BATTLE

ARISTOTLE WILL BE THE DESIGNER BUT IF YOU HAVE EXPERIENCE IN BUILDING WONDERS OF THE WORLD I AM LOOKING TO FILL POSITIONS

POMPEI AND CEASAR WILL BE THE GENERALS AND CLEOPATRA WILL BE THERE WITH ME

LodeRunner
Dec 27, 2003

Musical entertainment provided by Lenny Kravitz

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Just another Hyosung. There was a bunch of other awful stuff I didn't bother taking pictures of but the one I really regret not snapping was the toggle switch under the seat that was permanently wired into the diagnosis connector, presumably because the bike is so lovely that checking fault codes is a daily thing.

LodeRunner
Dec 27, 2003

Riding on normal 2 lane road yesterday morning. Fair amount of traffic both ways. This stretch of road is double yellow for several miles. I'm following an SUV in a long chain of vehicles and notice him start to drift right as well as slow down. Mind you, no turnouts anywhere near. He comes to a complete stop halfway off the road and waves me on. I know what he's doing; he wants me to pass him. But... loving why? There's another SUV in front of him. I don't mind swerving around someone doing this if I was in a car, but unpredictability puts me on full alert on the bike.

Like, what the gently caress is going through his head? Does he think he's helping a motorcycle by 'letting them pass' one car to move up one spot in line amidst several miles of aforementioned double yellows? And no, nothing was wrong with his car. After I decided not to have a standoff on the road telling him to keep going, I watched in my mirrors as he immediately rejoined traffic. I want predictability; I don't want drivers to randomly decide to erratically pull over to let me past and act like they're doing me a favor.

I just don't loving get what such a person is thinking.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

If he lets you pass then you "aren't riding his rear end" anymore.

LodeRunner
Dec 27, 2003

Unnghg I don't even do that anyway because I need a safe stopping distance. I just made myself clearly visible in his left mirror because that's what I do. Easily two car lengths behind him in a 45 zone.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Oh I have no doubt that you were at a reasonable distance, but some people feel like bikes are intimidating and have ZERO sense of scale or distance.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Is this in one of those oppressive hellholes where you can't just zoom past all the cars and never be near one?

LodeRunner
Dec 27, 2003

Slavvy posted:

Is this in one of those oppressive hellholes where you can't just zoom past all the cars and never be near one?

I wouldn't call the road an oppressive hellhole, but it's a double yellow and a fair amount of blind driveways.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Riiight you're still in the phase of caring about lines on the ground.

LodeRunner
Dec 27, 2003

Slavvy posted:

I've been riding 30 years and continue to be overtly cautious about blind driveways and cars that, I assume, are not paying attention at all. And then, yes, there are CHP here who don't gently caress around.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

LodeRunner posted:

Unnghg I don't even do that anyway because I need a safe stopping distance. I just made myself clearly visible in his left mirror because that's what I do. Easily two car lengths behind him in a 45 zone.

Two car lengths isn't even vaguely close to a safe gap at 45mph, lol.

Two *seconds* gap (the suggested way of measuring a safe gap at almost any speed because of course it scales properly) at 45 is 20 metres/65 ft, or about 5 average car lengths, two average car lengths is less than a one-second gap. For reference it takes about half a second to check your speedo or mirrors, a second or more to shoulder check and at least a quarter of a second to *start* braking.

GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003

Also I don't know about other countries but in America, even in California, there's a non-zero chance that any line of cars will have a patriot who's individual duty is to keep the status quo.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

LodeRunner posted:

Like, what the gently caress is going through his head? Does he think he's helping a motorcycle by 'letting them pass' one car to move up one spot in line amidst several miles of aforementioned double yellows?

a) Yes, it's certainly possible he thinks he's HeLpiNg. The same way that people who crawl around turns at 20 mph think they're helping by speeding up on the straights. No! Just stay slow on a straight road with good sight lines for like five seconds so I can pass and then you can do whatever you want!

b) It's more likely that he feels you're tailgating, and is either pissed off or scared and wants to get you away from him.

Slavvy posted:

Don't pass on a double yellow.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

It's always been out of state drivers that deputize themselves to keep me from lane splitting

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

LodeRunner posted:

I've been riding 30 years and continue to be overtly cautious about blind driveways and cars that, I assume, are not paying attention at all. And then, yes, there are CHP here who don't gently caress around.

Anywhere else I'd say "it doesn't count if you don't physically cross the line" but who even fuckin knows with American cops when they'll happily make poo poo up just to pad their numbers

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

MomJeans420 posted:

It's always been out of state drivers that deputize themselves to keep me from lane splitting

Yeah I once had a guy in a pickup try to door me for lane splitting. Fortunately I saw his door pop open and swerved. He yelled after me "that's ILLEGAL!!". Nevada plate.

It's not illegal in California you shithead, nice attempted murder

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
You know what else is illegal? Trying to smack bikers with your door.

LodeRunner
Dec 27, 2003

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Two car lengths isn't even vaguely close to a safe gap at 45mph, lol.

Two *seconds* gap (the suggested way of measuring a safe gap at almost any speed because of course it scales properly) at 45 is 20 metres/65 ft, or about 5 average car lengths, two average car lengths is less than a one-second gap. For reference it takes about half a second to check your speedo or mirrors, a second or more to shoulder check and at least a quarter of a second to *start* braking.

I'll put it this way:

I was the same distance behind him that he was behind the car in front of him.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Slavvy posted:

You wanna take your life in your hands in the USA? Do something that can be construed as "skipping line" like lane splitting or passing on a double yellow.

I never pass on a double yellow anymore because I'm not a hothead new rider. When I did I always made sure I had good sightlines. But whenever I did there was always some rear end in a top hat that chased me down trying to run me off the road and hanging out of their car screaming at me at stoplights.

And you can just get a gun here no worries. Same day service.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I’d do it back in the day when I was young and dumb and full of bad decisions, because I was a dumb 20 something and also because I was on a gsxr600 which could outrun most everything with 4 wheels, especially in the early 2000’s.

Now that I’m older and ride dadbikes I have to wait in line like everyone else.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

Yeah I once had a guy in a pickup try to door me for lane splitting. Fortunately I saw his door pop open and swerved. He yelled after me "that's ILLEGAL!!". Nevada plate.

Had it happen several times in CA. A former boss and a few friends were hit a few times over that poo poo. Once spiral fracturing his Tibula and wadding the bike up. Ofc the person that hit him ran.
Fwiw there's next to no prosecution for running someone down with a car, dooring them, yanking, etc. They can get away with that poo poo free and clear 99.99999% of the time. Helmet cam or front/rear cameras. No other way.

Nearly a decade ago in Vegas I was splitting in the middle of rush hour during the summer, headed north on 15 just north of the strip. 110F+, 1pc suit, old fzr with not enough cooling system for that poo poo. Someone swerved to try and hit me. So I stopped filtering, and when the bike got hot, I shut it off and blocked the loving lane till it cooled off enough to not run hot again. gently caress You. Want to be crabs in a pot? Lets all be crabs in the goddamned pot.
In NV its perfectly loving legal to just leave a vehicle where it drops. (As my husband learned the hard way when he ran into a montero at 50+ mph with a jeep wrangler that just parked his poo poo on the highway when it died. Being late afternoon sun and a uphill grade with a curve, didn't see the guy loving parked there till the last second.)

I also ride a dadbike now and avoid splitting with the cases. without? lol try to hit me and I'm taking the dirt option.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

That's the best part, potentially killing someone over a minor traffic violation would seem excessive (unless you're in law enforcement apparently). But I don't even punch off their mirror, let alone and get out and deal with it because:

Coydog posted:

And you can just get a gun here no worries

But I do wonder what people are thinking when they try to start poo poo with someone covered in armor and a helmet.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

cursedshitbox posted:

I also ride a dadbike now and avoid splitting with the cases. without? lol try to hit me and I'm taking the dirt option.

lol this is my favorite thing to do

gently caress it, i'll ride in the dirt while y'all wait on this guy turning left

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Coydog posted:

You wanna take your life in your hands in the USA? Do something that can be construed as "skipping line" like lane splitting or passing on a double yellow.

I never pass on a double yellow anymore because I'm not a hothead new rider. When I did I always made sure I had good sightlines. But whenever I did there was always some rear end in a top hat that chased me down trying to run me off the road and hanging out of their car screaming at me at stoplights.

And you can just get a gun here no worries. Same day service.

:psyduck: jfc my concerns about yellow lines start and end with the pigs. Safety isn't really a factor, if I can see past the car a good enough distance I don't give a poo poo what colour the markings are because they're just lines on the ground and I'm the one on the bike. But I've never had a psycho take umbrage over it either.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

in america people regularly carry handguns in their cars and will sometimes murder you for beating them at traffic.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

MomJeans420 posted:

But I do wonder what people are thinking when they try to start poo poo with someone covered in armor and a helmet.

I could write a whole essay about this, but it boils down to that the sort of fuckwit that initiates the getting out of the car to fight thing believes that their target is terrified of them and will almost certainly back off, and that a fight consists of hitting someone once or twice and then they fall down.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

:psyduck: jfc my concerns about yellow lines start and end with the pigs. Safety isn't really a factor, if I can see past the car a good enough distance I don't give a poo poo what colour the markings are because they're just lines on the ground and I'm the one on the bike. But I've never had a psycho take umbrage over it either.

lol i've been ticketed by CHP motorcop for riding in a 'bus only lane' in downtown SF even after being signaled to go into that lane by the local traffic cop during rush hour.
There's no consistency at all.

right arm posted:

lol this is my favorite thing to do

gently caress it, i'll ride in the dirt while y'all wait on this guy turning left

:same: dadbike on knobbies and 265mm of travel makes a lot of stupid people and traffic so much loving easier.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

in america people regularly carry handguns in their cars and will sometimes murder you for beating them at traffic.

I mean this just seems like yet another reason to stay well away from the cars for safety reasons but I'll grant that isn't always possible in the city

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

It's bad that I don't have to look past today to find an example of it: https://www.foxla.com/news/la-driver-asks-if-anyone-wants-to-die-while-pointing-gun-opening-fire-during-rush-hour-tmz

LodeRunner
Dec 27, 2003

"The suspect was identified by the sheriff's office as 34-year-old Ashley Tamika Greenwade.

Greenwade also allegedly told authorities she was Dr. Dre’s daughter, which was not confirmed. "

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
If she'd been riding a bike she wouldn't have had to wait to merge in, just sayin'

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Just saw a bike in a parking lot with 1 American flag, 1 Gadsden flag, and a "Q" sticker on the rear fender. Americans are psychopaths I wouldn't even risk giving someone the finger out there right now.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I saw a guy on a Harley with the WWG1WGA or whatever the Q saying is in huge letters on the back of his helmet. I'd hope that stuff would be dying down the longer we go after the election without Trump magically returning, but it was stupid in the first place so I don't know why they'd discover logic now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

MomJeans420 posted:

I saw a guy on a Harley with the WWG1WGA or whatever the Q saying is in huge letters on the back of his helmet. I'd hope that stuff would be dying down the longer we go after the election without Trump magically returning, but it was stupid in the first place so I don't know why they'd discover logic now.

When you're that far into it and you've ostracized your entire group of family and friends there is no choice but to double and triple down.