Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
https://twitter.com/ClickHole/status/1273283763074560001?s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.
Saw a UK store has Daft Punk - Alive 2007 for sale and trying to decide if I want to pay $62 for it (shipping to US is pricey). I am sure I will regret it if I don't pull the trigger but I wanted to grab the TRON soundtrack from Mondo today as well.

I did a bunch of cleaning over the weekend and realized I have way too many loving records. I was cleaning out the closet in my office / record room and have 6 boxes with over 150 45's each, and 4 boxes of about 50 LP's each just tucked away, most of which I haven't looked through. If I ever get around to going through them, I will try to post a list of everything here and sell them for a really good price. I know I have some popular stuff that I won't ever listen to that people could grab to fill out their collection without having to spend like $20 on a dinged Beatles record.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

The Vinyl Thread - I have way too many loving records

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Thanks for the Mondo heads up, snagged a Tron

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

DON'T TOUCH THE RECORD LIKE THAT. :argh:

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I had it in my cart and it sold out. :(

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
checked this thread five minutes late, its sold uout

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Detective No. 27 posted:

aww drat

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Detective No. 27 posted:

Don't worry I am sure there will be plenty of scalped copies on discogs momentarily

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
Owning a turntable and wanting no part of $50 releases that sell out in an hour has gotten me back into classical music, which I pretty much abandoned in my 20s after a childhood/teens full of it (I played violin throughout school).

There's just an utter shitton of great condition 60s-80s classical vinyl out there for $5 or less. Of course, still finding a few things that are $50+, but not many.

Hoping this will give me something to do/collect while things rage out of control and then I can pick other stuff back up on the other side of whenever the bubble pops.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

lament.cfg posted:

The Vinyl Thread - I have way too many loving records

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
If you all have too many I'll gladly take some off of your hands because there's no such thing as too many

beeker
Dec 17, 2006

meep meep!

stealie72 posted:

Owning a turntable and wanting no part of $50 releases that sell out in an hour has gotten me back into classical music, which I pretty much abandoned in my 20s after a childhood/teens full of it (I played violin throughout school).

There's just an utter shitton of great condition 60s-80s classical vinyl out there for $5 or less. Of course, still finding a few things that are $50+, but not many.

Hoping this will give me something to do/collect while things rage out of control and then I can pick other stuff back up on the other side of whenever the bubble pops.

Same, but getting into opera for the first time. Picked up a really clean 60’s pressing of Der Rosenkavalier on discogs for like $6 plus shipping. People are sleeping on some really good stuff in that genre. Downside is the shelf space eaten up by the boxes they are in.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

beeker posted:

Downside is the shelf space eaten up by the boxes they are in.
That plus shipping made me close the window on a 100 LP history of classical music that I came across, though even with shipping it would have been like $1.50 per record.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
I wouldn't fret about Tron Legacy. It's been reissued several times over. I'm sure in about six months or so there's going to be another pressing if they didn't already press a bunch more for the next time they reissue it.

In other news I have four of the six Sparks albums I ordered. The remaining two should be here by the end of the week.

stealie72 posted:

I don't know that the bubble is going to pop soon but I'm guessing prices will take a little dip when everyone is vaccinated and getting laid again.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

CPL593H posted:

I don't know that the bubble is going to pop soon but I'm guessing prices will take a little dip when everyone is vaccinated and getting laid again.
Hey, there's like 400 years of orchestral music to catch up on. I've got a while.

COVID insanity notwithstanding, I've watched a few hobby bubbles grow and pop over my lifetime, and it seems likely that at some point, more than one entity is going to run the numbers on the insanely hot vinyl market and open new pressing plants, which will make a bunch of money as they ride the wave of an austerity mindset until pent-up demand is handled, then begin to undercut one another on price, slowly at first, and then to the point that we're getting audiophile pressings of things for $15. Until one or more go out of business and the cycle begins anew.

This is probably a decade-long cycle, though.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

stealie72 posted:

Hey, there's like 400 years of orchestral music to catch up on. I've got a while.

COVID insanity notwithstanding, I've watched a few hobby bubbles grow and pop over my lifetime, and it seems likely that at some point, more than one entity is going to run the numbers on the insanely hot vinyl market and open new pressing plants, which will make a bunch of money as they ride the wave of an austerity mindset until pent-up demand is handled, then begin to undercut one another on price, slowly at first, and then to the point that we're getting audiophile pressings of things for $15. Until one or more go out of business and the cycle begins anew.

This is probably a decade-long cycle, though.

If the bubble bursts and people start dumping poo poo for rock bottom prices someone's just going to find me dead under a mound of records like an episode of hoarders.

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:
I'm not necessarily convinced the bubble will burst (at least not anytime soon) but more pressing plants opening up should really alleviate the current issue. I feel like there's a lot of niche stuff going for crazy amounts that *would* be repressed but the lines are so long they're not even bothering.

Discogs' price history tool seems to be doing more harm than good right now - I've spotted a lot of LPs which have sold one copy in the last 6 months at an all-time high, which has caused the sellers to relist at that price + an additional 20-50%. it seems to be getting harder and harder to spot the one copy that someone's actually trying to sell.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

I just bought my first turntable. I used to consider listening to music to be among my main hobbies, but thanks to the omnipresence of digital streaming, it's been relegated to more of a background role in my life. I bought a handful of my favorite albums and I'm really looking forward to reconnecting with music.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

dantheman650 posted:

I just bought my first turntable. I used to consider listening to music to be among my main hobbies, but thanks to the omnipresence of digital streaming, it's been relegated to more of a background role in my life. I bought a handful of my favorite albums and I'm really looking forward to reconnecting with music.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

hell yeah, man

intentionally Listening to An Album is awesome

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

dantheman650 posted:

This is exactly what I’ve recently done! It’s good stuff.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

lament.cfg posted:

hell yeah, man

I will never understand people who don't do this. Albums made after the mainly singles era which were just comps are meant to be listened to as a complete work.

IG-88
Apr 21, 2019

Attn: vapor dudes

https://mthrbord.com/product/april-001/

This is selling FAST

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

CPL593H posted:

I will never understand people who don't do this. Albums made after the mainly singles era which were just comps are meant to be listened to as a complete work.

Everyone calls me weird when I say this, albums should be more than the sum of their parts!

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

dantheman650 posted:

lament.cfg posted:

hell yeah, man

CPL593H posted:

Yeah, exactly why I'm here. In my 4.5 decades, I've been a musician for most of it, a DJ, a program director, and the owner/curator of a multi-thousand CD collection. Music is my medium, it's what makes my brain work, and is the rabbit hole I fall down. I bought a CD player in 89 with my paper route christmas tip money, and spent every gift giving holiday collecting money to improve my system and buy CDs through HS and College.

Last year, I realized that in the past 10-ish years I've gone from seeking out interesting music and listening to it on purpose, to making and almost exclusively listening to playlists out of the high-bitrate MP3s my CD collection turned into, to treating it like background noise on shuffle through mid-quality paid spotify while I work and drive. Rarely, if ever, listened to an album on purpose, and that sucked.

So my wife got me a u-turn orbit for christmas, I hooked up my old receiver and speakers, and am now improving my relationship with music. Only this time in a giant format with huge artwork that takes me back to my first music purchases (Thriller and Innocent Man, that I then hosed up on a fisher price turntable). As someone who spent a long time paying $15/per for CDs, I can't pretend that having access to all the music ever on a little glass rectangle in my pocket doesn't rule, but it also made my relationship with music a lot more superficial.

Thank you for attending my TED talk, please pull around to the second window to pick up your order.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:

IG-88 posted:

Attn: vapor dudes

https://mthrbord.com/product/april-001/

This is selling FAST

lol drat I totally would've bought this

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

stealie72 posted:

Yeah, exactly why I'm here. In my 4.5 decades, I've been a musician for most of it, a DJ, a program director, and the owner/curator of a multi-thousand CD collection. Music is my medium, it's what makes my brain work, and is the rabbit hole I fall down. I bought a CD player in 89 with my paper route christmas tip money, and spent every gift giving holiday collecting money to improve my system and buy CDs through HS and College.

Last year, I realized that in the past 10-ish years I've gone from seeking out interesting music and listening to it on purpose, to making and almost exclusively listening to playlists out of the high-bitrate MP3s my CD collection turned into, to treating it like background noise on shuffle through mid-quality paid spotify while I work and drive. Rarely, if ever, listened to an album on purpose, and that sucked.

So my wife got me a u-turn orbit for christmas, I hooked up my old receiver and speakers, and am now improving my relationship with music. Only this time in a giant format with huge artwork that takes me back to my first music purchases (Thriller and Innocent Man, that I then hosed up on a fisher price turntable). As someone who spent a long time paying $15/per for CDs, I can't pretend that having access to all the music ever on a little glass rectangle in my pocket doesn't rule, but it also made my relationship with music a lot more superficial.

Thank you for attending my TED talk, please pull around to the second window to pick up your order.

Feel ya' on nearly every point. I also got a U-turn orbit! It doesn't even come for three more weeks and I already have a stack of records a foot high and a bunch more in the mail.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
It's bandcamp Friday again, anyone want to throw out some recommendations for anything? Always find something good here.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
Finally going to buy this today: https://terryallen.bandcamp.com/album/lubbock-on-everything

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Schremp Howard posted:

It's bandcamp Friday again, anyone want to throw out some recommendations for anything? Always find something good here.

Jello Biafra has a new album that's pretty good. Tropical gently caress Storm is good.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Schremp Howard posted:

https://bandcamp.com/dorium

my entire collection

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

caligulamprey posted:

Domino's got My Bloody Valentine's back catalog. Their site won't sell to the US, but the official MBV store will.

I was trying to by Loveless for a friend but it was out of stock by the time I tried to buy it early this morning. Good ol’ not-making-enough-of-things. Only indulging this FOMO because it was to be a birthday gift.

For the Nth time, I’m glad my favourite band just keeps their poo poo in print. I think less of you if you intentionally short supply like this.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Schremp Howard posted:

Buy the Nokia edition of this album.

https://mdoumoctar.bandcamp.com/album/preorder-afrique-victime-vinyl

quote:

In addition to vinyl, CD, picture disk and digital formats, the album will be available as a special and limited cellphone edition. Hearkening back to the way Moctar's music originally spread and proliferated across the Sahara via word-of-mouth Bluetooth mobile phone swaps, this collector's edition of Afrique Victime arrives pre-loaded onto a classic Nokia 6120 handset and specially mastered for it. Disclaimer: You can only make calls on this phone in countries that have 2G coverage (not US).

Please note, this cellphone uses 2.5mm jacks for headphones on the bottom of the phone.

Edit. I have seen them twice and they are loving mindblowing desert blues. If you are a fan of Tinariwen check them out.

I have this one
https://mdoumoctar.bandcamp.com/album/afelan

Gonna order this one
https://mdoumoctar.bandcamp.com/album/akounak-tedalat-taha-tazoughai-ost

sporklift fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Apr 3, 2021

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Biggest regret of Desert Daze 2019 was sitting through a Flaming Lips show because everyone insisted I had to see them at least once instead of hitting the Mdou Moctar set. Wayne Coyne can eat me.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
Huge fan of Tinariwen and African music in general and im having to talk myself out of this silly gimmick.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

caligulamprey posted:

Biggest regret of Desert Daze 2019 was sitting through a Flaming Lips show because everyone insisted I had to see them at least once instead of hitting the Mdou Moctar set. Wayne Coyne can eat me.

I saw them in a little dive bar about 4 years ago and Sávila opened for them. Blown away by both bands that night. To be fair the Flaming Lips put on a pretty drat good show too...

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

This album rules. Like, the perfect summer album to rebound off the pandemic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

caligulamprey posted:

The Flaming Lips were a good show until Wayne Coyne had a midlife crisis and became an obnoxious egomaniac. I saw them in 09 and it ruled. I saw them a few years later and it was mediocre and disappointing. I think they barely did an hour. Though in the band's defense the crowd was kind of square and low energy so they probably just phoned it in and got off the stage. Tame Impala opened for them and they are soooooooooooo boring live.