Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What are you hitting monsters with?
Bow
Charge Blade
Dual Blades
Great Sword
Gunlance
Hammer
Heavy Bowgun
Hunting Horn
Insect Glaive
Lance
Light Bowgun
Longsword
Switch Axe
Sword and Shield
View Results

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

I like how they slammed together nargacuga and zinorge and called it magnamalo, then gave it blast and a gun.

Good fight though, not complaining.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Do I really just have to run rampage over and over until I guess these drat Kamura tickets

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!

tote up a bags posted:

Do I really just have to run rampage over and over until I guess these drat Kamura tickets

No, you can just get Geologist 3 from crafting leather armor and do the first quest that has you collecting lanterns in the shrine. Takes like 30-60 seconds to complete if you have access to the subcamp.

Also, is there a "best" way of going about melding things?

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
So if I've just unlocked high rank, and thought I'd get in on the horn train instead of lancing my way through the rest of the game... what's my early aim outside of a Maestro charm? It looks like Kulu with bits swapped for more attack or whatever plus ??? horn?

Bug Squash posted:

I like how they slammed together nargacuga and zinorge and called it magnamalo, then gave it blast and a gun.

He's got all the things I hate: Hyperdelayed attacks followed by insanely fast activation, sliding around your guard so the camera is the real enemy, and constantly jumping back so he can option select projectiles or a charge.

Strangely, I don't hate him as much on the new (to me) Zinogre, who I haven't fought since 3G. I don't remember that frontal explosion that hits behind you or him being able to charge instantly out of his powering up, but that poo poo hits me every time. Had a friend tell me Almudron was terrible but I sailed through his quest and only carted twice in the HR unlock... to Zinogre. :v:

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
Wait till Stygian Zinogre comes over from Iceborne, he's like regular Zin but up to 11.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
I put a spread set together for HBG and bow and I feel like bow range is INSANELY short. Is that because I’m using a spread bow? Would rapid give me more range to work with?

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

So in World if you did that lunging slash toward a wall your hunter would run up jump off and plunge the sword instead of doing the regular jump attack.

This is extremely good for getting mounts if you could get a monster near a wall because you do constant damage while your sword is out.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Evil Eagle posted:

The rampage weapons are clearly going to get better with every new apex they add. Late April hype

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVYdLR_e33w

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

I don't know how people "main" a weapon in these games because they're all cool. Only just started playing through Rise but really, really enjoying it so far. I feel like with each Monster Hunter game I pick up it gets more accessible and I make it a little bit further before bouncing off, so hopefully this time is the charm.

That said re: weapons I was trying out a few (trying to decide between SnS, Gunlance, Hunting Horn or Insect Glaive) and when I started beating on the training dummy with the HH and the horn started repeatedly chiming with each strike, my wife looked up after a moment from Animal Crossing, frowned, and said "please not that one" before going back to playing so that's one way to narrow my options slightly. (I will obviously just use headphones.)

Is there a guide anywhere of what skills are good for what weapons in a general sense? I've seen people say Xyz armor is so clearly great for <weapon> but I don't know what sort of thing I should be considering on a weapon by weapon basis.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Mode 7 posted:

I don't know how people "main" a weapon in these games because they're all cool. Only just started playing through Rise but really, really enjoying it so far. I feel like with each Monster Hunter game I pick up it gets more accessible and I make it a little bit further before bouncing off, so hopefully this time is the charm.

That said re: weapons I was trying out a few (trying to decide between SnS, Gunlance, Hunting Horn or Insect Glaive) and when I started beating on the training dummy with the HH and the horn started repeatedly chiming with each strike, my wife looked up after a moment from Animal Crossing, frowned, and said "please not that one" before going back to playing so that's one way to narrow my options slightly. (I will obviously just use headphones.)

Is there a guide anywhere of what skills are good for what weapons in a general sense? I've seen people say Xyz armor is so clearly great for <weapon> but I don't know what sort of thing I should be considering on a weapon by weapon basis.

Generally in low rank it straight up doesn't matter. I took pieces just to boost attack and critical in some way. That's also going to be a general idea in HR until you decide on a weapon that you might want to specialize in. A lot of the sets kind of cater toward specific weapons and you can tell at a glance. What I did was build a general attack boost set and I have just been using that while I bounce around between weapons. Once I figure out what I want to make a set for, I'll build it, but in the mean time you can't really go wrong. A lot of the good defensive skills got turned into level 1 gems which you can easily craft and slot into whatever armor you want.

If nothing else get one level of brace or "flinch free" in your gear so you don't get tripped up by your team mates.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Mailer posted:

So if I've just unlocked high rank, and thought I'd get in on the horn train instead of lancing my way through the rest of the game... what's my early aim outside of a Maestro charm? It looks like Kulu with bits swapped for more attack or whatever plus ??? horn?

Mine was mostly kulu, with khezu (faulds?) and ingot greaves. My target skills are Maestro (obviously) followed by slugger and focus.

Anjanarth is your target for the next big armour upgrades for head, chest and arms, and Mago makes a fantastic horn.

You'll be knocking out monsters and unloading the big moves into their face all day with that set-up. Focus 3, Slugger 3, Maestro from talisman, and a smattering of other stuff (2 attack up and 1 affinity)

Bug Squash fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Apr 3, 2021

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Meridian posted:

Generally in low rank it straight up doesn't matter. I took pieces just to boost attack and critical in some way. That's also going to be a general idea in HR until you decide on a weapon that you might want to specialize in. A lot of the sets kind of cater toward specific weapons and you can tell at a glance. What I did was build a general attack boost set and I have just been using that while I bounce around between weapons. Once I figure out what I want to make a set for, I'll build it, but in the mean time you can't really go wrong. A lot of the good defensive skills got turned into level 1 gems which you can easily craft and slot into whatever armor you want.

If nothing else get one level of brace or "flinch free" in your gear so you don't get tripped up by your team mates.

does it only take one flinch-free deco to prevent player-induced trips?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Mailer posted:

He's got all the things I hate: Hyperdelayed attacks followed by insanely fast activation, sliding around your guard so the camera is the real enemy, and constantly jumping back so he can option select projectiles or a charge.

in retrospect, trying GS for the first time in rise against Magnamalo - then getting mad at myself for continually missing - was a terrible idea

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Ciaphas posted:

in retrospect, trying GS for the first time in rise against Magnamalo - then getting mad at myself for continually missing - was a terrible idea

I did this all the time with World. Hey let’s learn a knew weapon now that I’m only fighting tempered elders!

(Get loving crushed)

Wow this weapon sucks.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

my desire to try new things is in direct conflict with my desire to finish hub urgents and unlock everything lol

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

I randomize which weapon I'll be playing every day and only allow myself to build that weapon and armor targeted for it. So naturally I'm getting my rear end kicked when it's something I'm bad at or don't have a good build for but I'm having a lot of fun this way. Going to be forever before I get to everything but MH is about the journey for me

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Judge Tesla posted:

Wait till Stygian Zinogre comes over from Iceborne, he's like regular Zin but up to 11.

If the pattern of Apexes is followed it would likelier be Thunderlord than Stygian

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

In Training posted:

If the pattern of Apexes is followed it would likelier be Thunderlord than Stygian

In my mind they have a whiteboard in the Capcom office where someone has hastily scratched out Deviant and written Apex under it.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

ok i gotta rant about this again, why are we stuck to loving glaives with bugs, i want a bostaff with which to clonk e.g. diabolos upside the goddamn noggin

not to imply there's anything wrong with well known clonkers Hammer and Hunting Horn, but it's not my aesthetic dangit :mad:

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
I understand village quests are solo and hub multiplayer, but do hub quests have importance ie. gatekeeping new stuff, story etc?

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

snoremac posted:

I understand village quests are solo and hub multiplayer, but do hub quests have importance ie. gatekeeping new stuff, story etc?

Village quests are tutorial and hub quests are actual game.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Ciaphas posted:

ok i gotta rant about this again, why are we stuck to loving glaives with bugs, i want a bostaff with which to clonk e.g. diabolos upside the goddamn noggin

not to imply there's anything wrong with well known clonkers Hammer and Hunting Horn, but it's not my aesthetic dangit :mad:

For me I wish we had an axe that was just an axe. There are already three sword weapons, why do both axe weapons need to split their time as swords? Switch axe is most of the way there, but its transforming nature means aesthetically they're usually pretty ugly.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Tender Bender posted:

For me I wish we had an axe that was just an axe. There are already three sword weapons, why do both axe weapons need to split their time as swords? Switch axe is most of the way there, but its transforming nature means aesthetically they're usually pretty ugly.

agreed, though in this case I think i'd be happy with a great sword that looks suspiciously axe-like

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

The final SnS switch skill, the sweet shield uppercut from GU

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
So I've got a bow and HH setup and now I want something to cut tails. I played LS and SnS in GU and enjoyed both of them.

For unknown reasons I am struggling to remember any combo in this game and SnS is combo heavy so that is sidelined for now.

Now I'm looking at LS and DB. DB seem to be light on combos. How are they cut out for tail cutting? I liked LS a bunch in GU cause it could chop real and it was pretty fun in the demo, but I've done LS before. So back to DB, is it a functional tail chopper?

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

Mode 7 posted:

I don't know how people "main" a weapon in these games because they're all cool.

Because Lance done right is really safe and I get to make train/car noises when I charge at stuff?

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

LGB with slicing ammo is great at cutting tails.

LBG is a pretty great weapon in Rise. I'm seeing quite a few LBG/Bow in my hunts, especially bow. More than I recall from World.

E: Magna LBG seems quite beastly. Gonna craft it on this flight I'm about to take and run solo hunts with it. No rpf but huge magazines and level 3 ammo of every(?) type. Good time to learn sticky/spread gunning.

v1ld fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Apr 3, 2021

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Trying to punch above my weight class for some early goodies so I joined HR7 lobbies and waited for them to post something before asking for my desire, Diablos. I had one hunt where a guy asked for Magnamalo so I was like all right sure, I'll probably need high rank Magnamalo soon enough anyway. So we fought it for a bit, then it killed the other guy I was with. And he legit ragequit, like instantly left the lobby leaving me to fight the guy on my own. So I did. And I won. And I got his Gem as a reward.

Never ragequit, fellas.

ArcticZombie
Sep 15, 2010

snoremac posted:

The idea that the village is the single player content and the hub the multiplayer content is flat out wrong. The village is an introduction to Monster Hunter Rise. The hub is “okay the training wheels are off, here’s the rest of the game”. Yes, all of the monsters in hub quests are more difficult than the village, not because they’re scaled for multiplayer, but because the village is scaled for new players. Playing the hub quests with others is optional, you can do every single one of them solo.

To answer your question more directly, yes, there is lots of stuff gatekept by hub quests. The rest of the story, talismans, armour skills and monsters you will have never seen.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

If I want to quickly unlock the switch skills for weapons I haven't used yet, can I just make 8 Bone Hammers or whatever, or do they need to be unique upgrades/forges?

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.

ArcticZombie posted:

The idea that the village is the single player content and the hub the multiplayer content is flat out wrong. The village is an introduction to Monster Hunter Rise. The hub is “okay the training wheels are off, here’s the rest of the game”. Yes, all of the monsters in hub quests are more difficult than the village, not because they’re scaled for multiplayer, but because the village is scaled for new players. Playing the hub quests with others is optional, you can do every single one of them solo.

To answer your question more directly, yes, there is lots of stuff gatekept by hub quests. The rest of the story, talismans, armour skills and monsters you will have never seen.
Okay thanks. I was pretty tired when starting out and didn't understand it that well.

ArcticZombie
Sep 15, 2010
It isn’t your fault, the game doesn’t tell you that there’s more to the story after the village and plenty of material online states that village is for singleplayer and the hub is for multiplayer.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

This game is extremely confusing, but I have faith that if I keep beating up the monsters I'll eventually figure it all out.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

In Training posted:

If I want to quickly unlock the switch skills for weapons I haven't used yet, can I just make 8 Bone Hammers or whatever, or do they need to be unique upgrades/forges?

Don't know if they have to be unique, but you have to make 5.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Do you have to do all the weapon quests to unlock the 3rd tier switch skills? I only did the hammer one hoping it would unlock one lol

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I noticed those dust butterflies that give you buffs gather around the large monsters sometimes, do the butterflies affect the monster?

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Electric Phantasm posted:

I noticed those dust butterflies that give you buffs gather around the large monsters sometimes, do the butterflies affect the monster?

Pretty sure those are bats. They're another kind of endemic life that debuffs.

Edit: apparently the explode when another big monster attacks. Oh If only there were some way to cause that to happen.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
How do you get more switch skill quests to unlock after the first few?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Deified Data posted:

You get a set of them at each quest level. The dual blades one is locked behind level 6. :( Pricks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Deified Data posted:

Just gotta progress in the gathering hub more.