Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

I could see that being a possibility. Also makes me fear that this could become a common tactic since that's exactly what happened with Dan. The last big allegation was faked but there were actual people mistreated by him.

The online version of Crying Wolf.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Abigail Thorn has a short interview on the BBC about her coming out.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
I do not intend for this to be an implicit defense of Vinny but I wanted to share these because I thought they were funny

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Bleck posted:

I do not intend for this to be an implicit defense of Vinny but I wanted to share these because I thought they were funny

On the other hand if he did do some poo poo and people, like say other youtubers, found out and they or victims risked going public with it something like this that would discredit not only them but any and all future confessions in a tidal wave of memes and mockery from internet jackasses sounds like a convenient godsend.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Like I said, that's why fake or even stupidly/badly put together stuff is bad, it just becomes ammo against the real people.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

I thought the part in the "review" about the beefed-up custom cartridge was completely made up but no, they actually tried to make one. Not only make one, they actually loving pulled it off. The third-party unlicensed Nintendo dev that switched to making cheapo bible-themed Doom clones were actually unsung pioneers all along.

No wonder I vaguely remembered this to be somewhat real: Whang made a video about it last month!

Maximum Planck
Feb 16, 2012

Why do y'all think any of the document is fake? Maybe I'm missing something, but I didn't get that impression.

Bleck posted:

To me these definitely read like they were meant to discredit anyone coming forward, which seems like a... weird impulse from whoever made them.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
God loving dammit. I really enjoyed all of Vinny's stuff. gently caress, I was literally listening to him in the background when I heard the news from this thread.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Apparently people who lurk their discord are saying this specific dump was a fake coordinated by a /v/ streamer group called "Joowz" (ugh) who have an axe to grind against Vinny and wanted to ride the Dan Avidan accusations.

This doesn't mean it definitely isn't true, their word isn't necessarily any more trustworthy than those making the accusations. But some of the tonally weird language in the emails makes more sense if it's a bunch of irony poisoned weirdos testing the boundaries of what people will believe writing it.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
I hope so. I like to think that, but the former mod's comments seem fairly damning. Although then again, I do find it baffling he was apparently able to allegedly engage in this behavior for years without the news surfacing prior, even in rumors.

I don't know what to believe and it would be nice for a change to be able to get entertainment and happiness from something without then finding out the person providing the laughs is piece of poo poo.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

I think it's very possible that a significant amount of this specific stuff is fabricated but also Vinny is still a sex pest regardless, and that's probably the point - make the people coming forward with their own stories look foolish by association with the stuff they made up.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
Yeah. :/
I mean from what I can gather, I'd be very surprised if those emails or the audio recording aren't fake. But the testimony of the former chat mod is really damning.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Testekill posted:

Dude must think that he's cursed at this point

I mean, he isn't acting like anything is different on his end with the Dan stuff. I imagine the Holly stuff was quite a bit worse for him.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Macaluso posted:

I mean, he isn't acting like anything is different on his end with the Dan stuff. I imagine the Holly stuff was quite a bit worse for him.

He almost certainly knows Dan slept with fans but since it was between consenting adults doesn't see it as a big thing.

I'm not judging Arin for it. The only ones who really know if Dan really is controlling are the women who've slept with him. There's a good chance Dan himself lacks the self awareness (not that it excuses anything creepy he may have done.)

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Apr 3, 2021

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

CYBEReris posted:

A /v/ streamer group called "Joowz" (ugh)

lol haven't heard that name in a while, they were run by shitters who then lost a bunch of their streamers because they were just that terrible to be around, who went on to make a better stream site without a douchey name.

So wouldn't be surprised if they were still seething about everything around them and being miserable.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Jamie Faith posted:

New Todd in the Shadows!

ONE HIT WONDERLAND: "Disco Duck" by Rick Dees and His Cast of Idiots

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzw6WpwYSv8&ab_channel=ToddintheShadows

I'm glad Todd is dedicating a full episode to this song after talking about it in his Top 10 worst hit songs of 1976 video

I love Todd but you would have to strap me down before I listen to even one microsecond of Disco Duck so I'm going to have to skip this one.

:sax:

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

JordanKai posted:

I love Todd but you would have to strap me down before I listen to even one microsecond of Disco Duck so I'm going to have to skip this one.

You should watch it. It's a great episode lol

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

JordanKai posted:

Disco Duck can go to hell. Macho Duck forever!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7FAWfT6hiI

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Nuebot posted:

On the other hand if he did do some poo poo and people, like say other youtubers, found out and they or victims risked going public with it something like this that would discredit not only them but any and all future confessions in a tidal wave of memes and mockery from internet jackasses sounds like a convenient godsend.

maybe if people want to go public with important information, they should stop choosing to do so specifically in means that could easily be faked

I don't know if the Vinny stuff is fake and the mod comments are kind of damning but surely there's something to be said about "here is a wordpad document filled with edited jpegs of emails, absolutely airtight evidence"

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Bleck posted:

maybe if people want to go public with important information, they should stop choosing to do so specifically in means that could easily be faked

I don't know if the Vinny stuff is fake and the mod comments are kind of damning but surely there's something to be said about "here is a wordpad document filled with edited jpegs of emails, absolutely airtight evidence"

What means fo you consider not easily faked?

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Bleck posted:

What is the actually airtight evidence that they should have found and used instead?

Qwezz
Dec 19, 2010

I'm feeling some good vibrations!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_nka_Nkli8

quote:

What do you do when you either don't know your purpose or feel like you can't live up to it? Joe Gardner and 22 seem to be opposites - one fears life, and the other fears death - but they really struggle with the same fear: failure. Something a lot of us can relate to.

Licensed therapist Jonathan Decker and filmmaker Alan Seawright discuss Pixar's SOUL, a movie Alan very much relates to (and therefore many tears are shed). They talk about living a fulfilling life, family relationships, and the beautiful design and music in this film.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.
OKI has his next extended doc out and it's... a doozy. The saga of Jacob Wohl and Jack Burkman: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iggVHtOwq64

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

Hel posted:

What means do you consider not easily faked?

in this case a good example is the audio stuff, which as people have said could also be not real but that would take a significantly larger amount of effort and skill to fake

considerably more than it would take to literally type things into wordpad

I also said the same thing back when all those smashers were revealed to be gross sex pests and they'd come out with "documented evidence" in their defense, and it'd literally just be a long written account in that denies anything happened, in a google doc

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

stillvisions posted:

OKI has his next extended doc out and it's... a doozy. The saga of Jacob Wohl and Jack Burkman: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iggVHtOwq64

This is fascinating. I had only heard of him following his Liz Warren press release and only knew that he had been banned from trading and was a Trump reply guy. The full story is much closer to the first act of an Investigation Discovery true-crime special.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Yeah. :/
I mean from what I can gather, I'd be very surprised if those emails or the audio recording aren't fake. But the testimony of the former chat mod is really damning.
the 'former' chat mod is still listed as a mod in the discord which seems strange, plus theyve changed when they were fired a couple times if you go through their tweets

this whole thing just seems all over the place

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
I'm 90% sure the Vinesauce stuff is fake tbh

Also one of the Poketubers I used to watch got outed as a pedo and deleted all his stuff. What Vinny allegedly did was not as bad in comparison.

e: source for the Poketuber: https://twitter.com/GamingKarasu/status/1367307190210490370

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?

quote:

There are other incidents as well such as him attempting to convince users who are bisexual that they have to be hetero and can’t have the best of both worlds, telling someone whose sister is being hospitalised that he hopes their sister dies and more ill divulge.
WTF, this is heinous.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Bleck posted:

in this case a good example is the audio stuff, which as people have said could also be not real but that would take a significantly larger amount of effort and skill to fake

considerably more than it would take to literally type things into wordpad

I also said the same thing back when all those smashers were revealed to be gross sex pests and they'd come out with "documented evidence" in their defense, and it'd literally just be a long written account in that denies anything happened, in a google doc

Okay so audio is "easily faked" so is text. And based on reactions to Dan's poo poo I guess video is too.

So, uh, what exactly is hard hitting evidence? What medium can people use? Do they need to carve it into a goat and send the goat to someone else?

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

Nuebot posted:

Okay so audio is "easily faked" so is text. And based on reactions to Dan's poo poo I guess video is too.

I mean "audio is easily faked" is the opposite of what I said in the post you quoted, might be barking up the wrong tree here bub

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Bleck posted:

I mean "audio is easily faked" is the opposite of what I said in the post you quoted, might be barking up the wrong tree here bub

The audio being fake in this callout post is like, the first thing people latched on to. The point is that basically anything can be faked on the internet, it's easier than ever to do so and telling people to just not use a medium that can be faked doesn't leave them with any options.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

that's some slippery slope bullshit, sorry

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?

Nuebot posted:

The audio being fake in this callout post is like, the first thing people latched on to. The point is that basically anything can be faked on the internet, it's easier than ever to do so and telling people to just not use a medium that can be faked doesn't leave them with any options.

This is why I feel it's harmful and shortsighted for people, on this forum even, to discourage going "internet detective" whenever one of these things drops. Indeed, literally anything can be faked. Deepfakes are now a thing. We HAVE to go internet detective to make sure we're getting the right story.

That's not to say our first response to a victim's story is to go "um well can you PROVE it?" but we should all put forth our best efforts to uncover the truth. Respectfully and tactfully.

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

Nuebot posted:

So, uh, what exactly is hard hitting evidence? What medium can people use? Do they need to carve it into a goat and send the goat to someone else?

Didn't the Dan video get revealed to be misleading too? Like it wasn't fake but I believe I heard Dan originally posted that publically on his Instagram or something as a joke then the rantgrumps people reposted it as "evidence"

Someone correct me if I'm wrong

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
in lighter news.

space jam 2 trailer came out and its loving sureal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0H2cIbUGJJc

it seems like a less toxic ready player 1. its more stupidly weird and funny weird. also the droogs are there.

https://twitter.com/GGGMRS/status/1378412579471699978/photo/1

so is nux, some white walkers/etc.

What’s funny is that tonally this is already way better than RP1, Because it actually understands the goofy comedic appeal of a crossover

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Apr 4, 2021

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Dapper_Swindler posted:

in lighter news.

it seems like a less toxic ready player 1. its more stupidly weird and funny weird. also the droogs are there.

What’s funny is that tonally this is already way better than RP1, Because it actually understands the goofy comedic appeal of a crossover

I said this in another thread, but I can't believe all those insane cameo rumours that only showed up on weird alt-right clickbait websites like We Got This Covered were actually true, and no one believed them because, well... they're We Got This Covered, alt-right fantasy/conspiracy pandering clickbait is their stock and trade and they have no loving credibility. But hey, they actually got one horrifyingly right.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
there is in fact a difference between "believe women" and "believe literally everything you read, even pushing yourself to take obviously faked things seriously." you don't even matter very much in the context of whatever harm occured. just put effort commeasurate with the impact you personally will have on the outcome of the events as they unfold. in this case, maybe check it out for a minute or two if you vaguely have seen vinny before or a few hours if you're a die-hard fan and come to the conclusion you feel is right. you don't actually have any control over the situation and the raw power of your disbelief or belief won't help anyone. the only people who have any control over the situation are the ones associated with those abused and vinny.

you can maybe try to shame someone into taking the kinda shaky evidence as serious and definite, but what end does that serve? you certainly aren't helping the cause of taking allegations seriously when you treat stuff obviously brigaded by 4chan trolls as true. Even to the point of going "this obvious fakery is probably designed to obscure a real crime, which has not been made apparent to us" is literally conspiratorial logic. relax. taking stuff like this seriously means taking it seriously. Not dismissing a woman's word out of hand, but also not taking sketchy information from a tainted source weirdly worded at face value. You devalue your own judgement by doing that.

You could even be wrong! You might be wrong. You could believe something that is incorrect and not believe someone who was negatively affected by those youtube/fan power dynamics. and you might still yet come to realize that you were wrong. And you can atone, however it is that you determine to do that. But, absent you knowing someone directly involved with the situation, or arguing publicly for the wrong thing, you will have done no harm. Take a little bit of solace in how insignificant your contribution to this task is. let your eyes gaze upon heaven, let your feet touch grass.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Dapper_Swindler posted:

in lighter news.

I am all for this trainwreck

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Impermanent posted:

there is in fact a difference between "believe women" and "believe literally everything you read, even pushing yourself to take obviously faked things seriously." you don't even matter very much in the context of whatever harm occured. just put effort commeasurate with the impact you personally will have on the outcome of the events as they unfold. in this case, maybe check it out for a minute or two if you vaguely have seen vinny before or a few hours if you're a die-hard fan and come to the conclusion you feel is right. you don't actually have any control over the situation and the raw power of your disbelief or belief won't help anyone. the only people who have any control over the situation are the ones associated with those abused and vinny.

you can maybe try to shame someone into taking the kinda shaky evidence as serious and definite, but what end does that serve? you certainly aren't helping the cause of taking allegations seriously when you treat stuff obviously brigaded by 4chan trolls as true. Even to the point of going "this obvious fakery is probably designed to obscure a real crime, which has not been made apparent to us" is literally conspiratorial logic. relax. taking stuff like this seriously means taking it seriously. Not dismissing a woman's word out of hand, but also not taking sketchy information from a tainted source weirdly worded at face value. You devalue your own judgement by doing that.

You could even be wrong! You might be wrong. You could believe something that is incorrect and not believe someone who was negatively affected by those youtube/fan power dynamics. and you might still yet come to realize that you were wrong. And you can atone, however it is that you determine to do that. But, absent you knowing someone directly involved with the situation, or arguing publicly for the wrong thing, you will have done no harm. Take a little bit of solace in how insignificant your contribution to this task is. let your eyes gaze upon heaven, let your feet touch grass.

Did anyone here actually do this thing you're cautioning against, or is this just some sort of weird public service announcement?

EDIT: Oh, I just realized I have a question that's actually relevant to the thread. I really liked Down the Rabbit Hole and Hbomberguy's And Here's Why series for stuff to have on in the background while I do things. I've gone through them all and am now relistening. (Except the CentOS one, that one was so depressing I turned it off halfway through.) Anyone have a recommendation for another video series that's similar to either of these?

Ariong fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Apr 4, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Captain Invictus posted:

I am all for this trainwreck

same. like at least its not gonna be iron giant shooting a gun. its gonna be iron giant watching a basket ball game and probably comicaly smushing somthing and then appologizing while the droogs assult someone in the background while nux, Ramsay bolton and 2 different versions of the Penguin watch. idk. this is dumb as gently caress, but it feels way less toxic(compared to rp1), like this feels more like a weird wheres waldo of IPs and poo poo. its just big dumb mess.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Apr 4, 2021