Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Flannelette posted:

Some shrinkage has occurred.

what do you think the "fringe" on his wings is?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
:golfclap: well played

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

This is entrapment

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape

Lizard Combatant posted:

But... If Burns is still his name, why wouldn't the Snrub joke still work in Spanish?

I think this is an executive decision by the translator

Perhaps the backwards spelling thing doesn't really work in Spanish, so it was substituted with a different mechanicallly functional joke

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

i was saying bo-ort

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Translating funny stuff is hard.

Earlier in the pandemic I watched Homer the Smithers on Disney+ in all the languages I understand. Quality of voice acting and translation varies massively, with the best IMO being Canadian French. Regular French and German are a bit meh. Spanish is fun.

But a lot of the subtle things that make Good Simpsons good are just hard to reproduce. Like when Burns says "the percolations are imminent, cease your ingress", this is in keeping with his dated way of speaking, but I think several of the translations were just like "coffee is brewing, don't come in :geno:", which loses a little something.

I did enjoy hearing "the head of this department is a Mr. Johnson or Johnstone" in several languages though

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Bobstar posted:

Earlier in the pandemic I watched Homer the Smithers on Disney+ in all the languages I understand. Quality of voice acting and translation varies massively, with the best IMO being Canadian French. Regular French and German are a bit meh. Spanish is fun.

But a lot of the subtle things that make Good Simpsons good are just hard to reproduce. Like when Burns says "the percolations are imminent, cease your ingress", this is in keeping with his dated way of speaking, but I think several of the translations were just like "coffee is brewing, don't come in :geno:", which loses a little something.

I did enjoy hearing "the head of this department is a Mr. Johnson or Johnstone" in several languages though

Any particular acting or translation that surpassed the original?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Anime dubs come to mind, Samurai Pizza Cats being a famous example where the dubbers weren't given scripts and were forced to come up with completely original dialogue to fit the show. Duel Masters was another example where a pretty blatant Yu-Gi-Oh! ripoff was made into a pisstake, which probably gave it more life than it would have otherwise.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
A character on Samurai Pizza Cats complaining about not being able to read a sign because it was in Japanese is as embedded into my formative sense of humor as much as just about anything from the Simpsons. That show owned.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

:regd13:

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
I can't remember if someone talked about it in the bad Simpsons thread or if a Puerto Rican friend said it or if I made it up, but I think there are/were different Spanish dubs for syndication for Mexico and for South America. the Mexican ones are supposed to be funnier.

my Spanish is abysmal, but "dental plan... Lisa needs braces" is apparently recognizable in any language

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Empty Sandwich posted:

I can't remember if someone talked about it in the bad Simpsons thread or if a Puerto Rican friend said it or if I made it up, but I think there are/were different Spanish dubs for syndication for Mexico and for South America. the Mexican ones are supposed to be funnier.

my Spanish is abysmal, but "dental plan... Lisa needs braces" is apparently recognizable in any language

I don't even speak Spanish but I know it's something like "plan dental...Lisa necesitas frencas(?)"

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape

Failed Imagineer posted:

https://youtu.be/uQWb4t2w_T0

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Failed Imagineer posted:

This has made me realise that neither Castellaneta or this guy pronounce the "d" in "NEEEEEEEERRRRRRRD", that a lot of the comedy in the original is from how high-pitched and desperate Homer sounds, and that both versions are great at 0.5x playback.

*Awaits response post of NEEEEEEEERRRRRD*

I'm sticking with the original here

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Failed Imagineer posted:

The "chowdah" moment in Canadian French is great, because they abandon the premise and replace it with standard vs Quebec word for a dish. And Freddy Quimby's accent is very fun to a European French speaker like me.

https://twitter.com/matttomic/status/1158934168270712832

donquixotic
May 1, 2007

I love that and it works precisely because it's one word stretched out. After that was posted before I started clicking around Simpsons translations and an abysmal one was the French grooooooooooosse tête, two words is worse and big head isn't the same thing as nerd

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Bobstar posted:

The "chowdah" moment in Canadian French is great, because they abandon the premise and replace it with standard vs Quebec word for a dish. And Freddy Quimby's accent is very fun to a European French speaker like me.

https://twitter.com/matttomic/status/1158934168270712832

That whole thread is fascinating, thanks!

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
I remember being young and accidentally switching to the Spanish language option on my TV during Simpsons reruns, and watching the episode where Homer becomes the mayor's bodyguard.

Hearing the description for all the various poo poo the bodyguards have to put up with and then "Yo diego 'woo-hoo!'" just always tickled me.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Comedy is a really hard thing to translate, let alone when paired with animation you can't change and presumably on a strict deadline, I don't blame em for struggling. Good dubs deserve all the kudos they can get.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Bobstar posted:

I used to work a job that had me distance driving at 2-3am so I'd listen to this radio international show. One time they had this feature on Czech humour and first they'd play a clip of a comedian saying something in Czech and an audience laughing uproariously with people obviously laugh-crying, then they'd have an English translation and it would always be something mundane like "My uncle is a carpenter. He builds houses with a saw, hammers, and nails. Sometimes he will need to use a pencil." The presenters then got bilingual Czech people who found the original joke funny to look at the translation and confirm that it was accurate and that there was nothing like a pun missing, and they'd be like "Yeah, I guess it's just not as funny in English."

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

CommonShore posted:

I used to work a job that had me distance driving at 2-3am so I'd listen to this radio international show. One time they had this feature on Czech humour and first they'd play a clip of a comedian saying something in Czech and an audience laughing uproariously with people obviously laugh-crying, then they'd have an English translation and it would always be something mundane like "My uncle is a carpenter. He builds houses with a saw, hammers, and nails. Sometimes he will need to use a pencil." The presenters then got bilingual Czech people who found the original joke funny to look at the translation and confirm that it was accurate and that there was nothing like a pun missing, and they'd be like "Yeah, I guess it's just not as funny in English."

I mean, there is a trace of humour in there. Just not at the level of shart laughing. Maybe the Czech audience was really warmed up (drunk).

pitch a fitness
Mar 19, 2010

Couple of the translations offer some real good Snrrrrrubs. I like Spain's Señor Bruns as that's even lazier than coming up with Snrub

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AdDWvbJUPBs

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Comedy is a really hard thing to translate, let alone when paired with animation you can't change and presumably on a strict deadline, I don't blame em for struggling. Good dubs deserve all the kudos they can get.
Fitting translated comedy to a rhythm must be its own special hell but somehow there's a couple that really work here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ooFXTY2Umo

specifically, Spain's change to make no conquistas nada con una ensalada scan google trans: you do not conquer anything with a salad
and Hungary's own direction: a barátsághoz hús kell google trans: friendship requires meat

Lobok posted:

I mean, there is a trace of humour in there. Just not at the level of shart laughing. Maybe the Czech audience was really warmed up (drunk).
Garrison Keillor would slay with it

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

It may be stereotypical, but Czech life seems really, really dull.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
It's probably a very witty carptenter pun.

I mean we're still waiting on the patching trowl in here.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Failed Imagineer posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0NQlOfXyrUY

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Just to clarify, the specific content of the carpentry thing is just an example of the kinds of things the Czechs were dying laughing at, not a specific example. This was like 15 years ago. What I remember clearly is that this poo poo was insanely funny to the Czechs, and always translated to something like "And the sound came out of his trombone because that trombone is a musical instrument which he knows how to play" or "my mother uses soap to wash her dishes."

The documentary was specifically showcases how this poo poo from Czech humour never translates and you can't even explain why it's funny because it's not based on anything like puns or wordplay.

I mean

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Failed Imagineer posted:

I don't even speak Spanish but I know it's something like "plan dental...Lisa necesitas frencas(?)"

I finally looked it up: frenos, which is apparently Mexican Spanish for braces (and variously means bit, bridle, or brakes in the singular in other dialects of Spanish)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=S5OrdhY1n9Y

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

CommonShore posted:

Just to clarify, the specific content of the carpentry thing is just an example of the kinds of things the Czechs were dying laughing at, not a specific example. This was like 15 years ago. What I remember clearly is that this poo poo was insanely funny to the Czechs, and always translated to something like "And the sound came out of his trombone because that trombone is a musical instrument which he knows how to play" or "my mother uses soap to wash her dishes."

As you keep trying to explain the lack of humour you're paradoxically getting funnier. The anti-humour is getting more verbose and going over the top. "And the sound came out of his trombone because that trombone is a musical instrument which he knows how to play" has me actually laughing.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
the simpsons employees a lot of people all over the world. neat.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
I remember reading one of the Italian chefs who trained Mario Batali saying about him something like "Yeah, he's a really smart chef. I bet he even uses a refrigerator," and crying laughing at how loving savage it is while also being the opposite of that

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Lobok posted:

As you keep trying to explain the lack of humour you're paradoxically getting funnier. The anti-humour is getting more verbose and going over the top. "And the sound came out of his trombone because that trombone is a musical instrument which he knows how to play" has me actually laughing.

This is how we get memes

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Lobok posted:

I think that humor has just gotten more advanced. Look at how people cracked up at Ray Jay Johnson.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCqh5ROtQRg

:geno:

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Disco deserved to die.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7knBOmHhaA

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Empty Sandwich fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Apr 3, 2021

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Frink and Milhouse, the hot new Simpsons spinoff.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

pitch a fitness posted:

Couple of the translations offer some real good Snrrrrrubs. I like Spain's Señor Bruns as that's even lazier than coming up with Snrub

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AdDWvbJUPBs

It would also just sound different in Spanish. The S followed by a consonant would have “eh” in front of it when said in Spanish. So it would be “Esnrubs.”

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Elfface posted:

Frink and Milhouse, the hot new Simpsons spinoff.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Bruuuuuuns
Con el corazon de perro
Señor Bruuuuuuns
El diablo con dinero!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008