Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

bewbies posted:

well, MLBs cornering of the baseball market by dominating the minor league tree and raiding college ball wasn't accidental. this anticompetitive effort goes back decades.

I get this is an anti owner rant but you're mad at them for the wrong thing.

So how is it better for players to have less draft rounds, a more robust nation-wide NCAA baseball program, and more players in indie ball? How does this help them make more money, or develop faster, or magically make a ton of people start caring about college baseball or indie ball when they otherwise didn't? Hell, even the minor league system that exists now is fighting for eyeballs and butts in seats, and that was pre-covid.

I also understand what you're getting at but I just think the ship has long since sailed on the kind of system you envision.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Crazy Ted posted:

The problem with that: Major League Baseball now pretty much directly controls minor league baseball. They've even signed some kind of agreements with a couple of the indie leagues over the winter, so even those leagues are starting to get pulled in a bit.

Major League Baseball was basically able to use the Covid pandemic to put one hell of a squeeze on non-MLB baseball in the United States.
Yeah it was a problem because the renewal of the PDA between MLB and MiLB came up at the exact worst time, which completely destroyed any minor leverage that MiLB had and led to MLB executing the nuclear option and taking full control of MiLB

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

https://twitter.com/hbryant42/status/1378123941835911168?s=19

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
So a new narrative going around is that this move is disrespectful to the memory of Hank Aaron. Let that one sink in.

LonesomeCrowdedWest
May 8, 2008
https://twitter.com/STR0/status/1378105726191730691?s=20

Not sure what this is about but doesn’t sound good.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

So a new narrative going around is that this move is disrespectful to the memory of Hank Aaron. Let that one sink in.

those absolutely horrible fuckers.

when the Milwaukee Braves moved down to Atlanta, the "price" was that the city had to quickly and enthusiastically ditch all segregation in public accommodations, just like Houston had to for the Colt .45s a few years earlier. Aaron had to be talked into making the move, having grown up in Mobile and not wanting any part of the South again. what's disrespectful to his memory is creating a voting law that is very obviously aimed at disenfranchising Black voters. but you all know that, and so do they, and they aren't capable of shame so instead here i am getting angry and ashamed on their behalf.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Sydin posted:

So how is it better for players to have less draft rounds, a more robust nation-wide NCAA baseball program, and more players in indie ball? How does this help them make more money, or develop faster, or magically make a ton of people start caring about college baseball or indie ball when they otherwise didn't? Hell, even the minor league system that exists now is fighting for eyeballs and butts in seats, and that was pre-covid.

I also understand what you're getting at but I just think the ship has long since sailed on the kind of system you envision.

In general I'm for anything that keeps players out of the MLB juggernaut. It may well be wishful thinking from an indie baseball enthusiast.

A big part of the problem is the entire system is designed as a bigass pyramid to shovel money to the big clubs and their owners. poo poo like this has been a constant for eons:

Crazy Ted posted:

Hell it goes all the way back to the 1920s when Branch Rickey, IIRC, used the economic conditions of the Great Depression to snap up minor league teams on extremely favorable terms and make them direct affiliates of the St. Louis Cardinals.

By dominating the pro baseball landscape, MLB can make the minor leagues less appealing (through roster turnover and playing younger, developmental players over better, older players who don't really have a shot at the bigs), can control the media environment, and increasingly, control their finances directly. Their goal since forever has been to make MLB baseball the only place one can really form long-term attachments to players and teams and reliably get games on TV/radio (which, lol @ this situation recently even for MLB).

I'm not under the impression that shortening the draft will solve the problem, but I feel like anyone who has taken in a well-produced indie baseball game should be more or less on the same page with shrinking the MLB affiliation pyramid by any means necessary.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

R.D. Mangles posted:

i disagree baseball is miserable and causes me great anguish and i'm going to enjoy every second of it

Me watching baseball

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

https://twitter.com/Unsilent/status/1378135661383983109?s=19

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

:unsmith:

Can’t wait for the @BestFansStLouis feed to tweet some of the reactions to the ASG move

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Powerful 🙏

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

bewbies posted:

still twice the size it needs to be
Mike Piazza was drafted in the 62nd round

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

18th round pick
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DI8uH4_pzeo

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Speaking of Bote, still lol'ing that Ross and Jed bent over backwards to suck his dick and talk about how he "unanimously" earned the starting 2B job over Nico and it's "his turn" and then... he gets pulled in the 5th of the season opener as part of a double switch and so, uh... *checks notes* ah yes, Eric Sogard and Matt Duffy could get some AB's late in a close game. Definitely feeling that ringing endorsement of the organization's belief in Bote's ability.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

mcmagic posted:

Chuds hating one of the most chuddy sports is pretty funny. Not gonna lie.

Chuds are running out of sports to follow

Even NASCAR is off limits now since they banned the confederate flag (unless they walked that back)

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Sydin posted:

Speaking of Bote, still lol'ing that Ross and Jed bent over backwards to suck his dick and talk about how he "unanimously" earned the starting 2B job over Nico and it's "his turn" and then... he gets pulled in the 5th of the season opener as part of a double switch and so, uh... *checks notes* ah yes, Eric Sogard and Matt Duffy could get some AB's late in a close game. Definitely feeling that ringing endorsement of the organization's belief in Bote's ability.

Ross pulled him because he had made the last out and the pitcher's spot was up, and they needed to use 17 pitchers to issue that many walks

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007
Something witty yet inspirational about the Cleveland Indians

bawfuls posted:

Mike Piazza was drafted in the 62nd round

And only as a favor to Tommy Lasorda as one of those “hey can you give my distant relative and fellow Pisan a token pick so I can say he got drafted?” things. Him becoming a Hall of Famer was at about the same odds of getting struck by lightning while winning the lottery.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Wasn't Mariano Rivera only signed as a favor to Ruben Rivera or is that one of those things that you hear somewhere and just internalize it but it never happened

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Intruder posted:

Wasn't Mariano Rivera only signed as a favor to Ruben Rivera or is that one of those things that you hear somewhere and just internalize it but it never happened

I know that the Yankees planned to demote Derek Jeter and replace him by trading Mariano for Felix Fermin. Their head scout called the GM and threatened to take a poo poo on his desk if they made that move.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Intruder posted:

Chuds are running out of sports to follow

Even NASCAR is off limits now since they banned the confederate flag (unless they walked that back)

They still have... golf??

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Intruder posted:

Yeah Ruben was a WAY better prospect than Mariano was.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

seiferguy posted:

They still have... golf??

Polo. I remember there being a stink a few years ago because someone taught urban kids how to play and they were competitive with the rich kids.

dingo with a joint
Jan 12, 2019

wrong cow

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Polo. I remember there being a stink a few years ago because someone taught urban kids how to play and they were competitive with the rich kids.

This is the best thing I've read all day, and now I want to watch the movie.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Never change, Zack!

https://twitter.com/KleinschmidtJD/status/1378187135753334790?s=20

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

https://twitter.com/chadmoriyama/status/1378191615747969027?s=21

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Oh man it's always sad seeing cat's on the field, they're so stressed out panting like that.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

That is a super handsome cat and I would adopt it in a second

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Thats just Los Angeles Dodgers Starting Pitcher Clawton Purrshaw

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

That poor cat is terrified. :(

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Cats finding their way onto baseball fields is always an amazing adventure.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
god drat.

he was my dark horse for 1/1...really hope he’s alright. pitching is a dangerous game https://twitter.com/kendallrogers/status/1378200782223237124?s=21

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
the best thing about "cat on the field" is that most times they corral it and get it to a shelter and the next day dozens of people sign up to adopt it

so yeah, it sucks in the moment but the shelter people will find the best possible home for it once they make sure its healthy and evaluate it

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011
A new beefy lad for all of us to appreciate

https://mobile.twitter.com/whitesox/status/1378213753506893825

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Wow, that's a lot of new posts in the baseball thread today. Something crazy must have happened in a game or maybe there was a big Cub posting thing or something crazy must have happened. I better go see what it is and hold my breath.

Hahahahaha!

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
https://twitter.com/axios/status/1378333941946404870

MLB is going to lose a lot of money over this. I wonder if Manfred knew what he was doing when he made the decision. It's possible he didn't and he's just an idiot which I think is more likely than that he was actually doing something morally courageous that he knew was going to cost him money.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

mcmagic posted:

MLB is going to lose a lot of money over this. I wonder if Manfred knew what he was doing when he made the decision. It's possible he didn't and he's just an idiot which I think is more likely than that he was actually doing something morally courageous that he knew was going to cost him money.

No they won’t.

When the national anthem poo poo went down with the NFL, a bunch of doughy thumb people burned their Steelers jerseys and immediately bought new ones.

Boomers are incapable of not spending money for any length of time. Their wallet is their primary point of contact with reality.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish
bring the allstar game to camden yards so i can go to a fanfest again for the first time since 1996

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

mcmagic posted:

I'd be happy to never hear about that man again

chamois
Oct 24, 2010

Casnorf posted:

bring the allstar game to camden yards so i can go to a fanfest again for the first time since 1996

i live in east atlanta and it would take me maybe 1.5 hours longer to get to camden yards than it would to get to trurist park lets do this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
oh no please don’t let racist chuds boycott MLB, it’ll never be the same attending games without having to hear casual racist heckling and constant “you know, these players are paid pretty well already” hot takes from the rows around me