Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).

Vil posted:

MD tips

While working on the tips you gave here i out of the blue suddenly had e157 matter. I have no idea why. This was like the third time i did a vacuum right side reset and i never got above e140 matter before. I don't even have more than 6 neutrons, instead of hundreds of thousands like in the previous attempts, nor had i done much graviton upgrades. :iiam:

It probably is no mystery, its just me not understanding the mechanics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

postmodifier
Nov 24, 2004

The LIQUOR BOTTLES are out in full force.
MOM is surely nearby.
Just a heads up, Legends of Idleon is scheduled to release on Steam tomorrow alongside another quality of life patch. If you're a completionist type, there will be a unique item tied to its launch window, so don't miss out???

It'll be crossplay with the mobile and web versions, so no issue jumping between them all.

The 'pizza is free' guild still has about ten slots open, so come join if you want to!

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Ineptitude posted:

While working on the tips you gave here i out of the blue suddenly had e157 matter. I have no idea why. This was like the third time i did a vacuum right side reset and i never got above e140 matter before. I don't even have more than 6 neutrons, instead of hundreds of thousands like in the previous attempts, nor had i done much graviton upgrades. :iiam:

It probably is no mystery, its just me not understanding the mechanics.

One thing that's very important is the idea of photonic resetting to purge matter to allow for more matter. Everything above photonic can build up while you spam-reset photonic, which gets you benefits from upper layer dimensions.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Kyrosiris posted:

One thing that's very important is the idea of photonic resetting to purge matter to allow for more matter. Everything above photonic can build up while you spam-reset photonic, which gets you benefits from upper layer dimensions.

turn off the photonic upgrade that protects antimatter too, that'll force the photonic reset to be almost immediate

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Out of the houses, which is the most blue?

The answer might not be be obvious at first.

Gravy Boat 2k

Venuz Patrol posted:

turn off the photonic upgrade that protects antimatter too, that'll force the photonic reset to be almost immediate

At least up until you unlock the thing in temperature that lets you split energy between temperature and photonic production. At that point, it feels like the increased speed temperature can raise when the protection is on probably outweighs the decreased rate of photonic resets.

sailormoon
Jun 28, 2014

fighting evil by moonlight
winning love by daylight

postmodifier posted:

Just a heads up, Legends of Idleon is scheduled to release on Steam tomorrow alongside another quality of life patch. If you're a completionist type, there will be a unique item tied to its launch window, so don't miss out???

It'll be crossplay with the mobile and web versions, so no issue jumping between them all.

The 'pizza is free' guild still has about ten slots open, so come join if you want to!

Sent a request!

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice
I think I'm not smart enough to play Matter Dimensions, I can't wrap my brain around what makes some stuff go up and some stuff go down, and accidentally shooting myself in the foot getting some upgrades/dimensions that make other stuff work less or differently without much clear explanation is just making it feel weird and arbitrary

Cliff
Nov 12, 2008

^I just bought the dimensional upgrade that increases shard production based on vaccumic challenge completions AND unlocks vaccumic challenges. So prior to spending the shards I had no idea if I would be capable of completing these challenges and getting anything out of it, which of course I am not.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008
Got Legends of Idleon on steam and joined the guild (apologies if I sent like a million requests, there was literally no feedback on the submit button so I figured it was broken).

Is there a good new player guide? I've got 2 dudes now a warrior and an archer, but there's like 15 talent choices per page so I'm not sure if I'm making good choices or not. So far I seem to progress by making myself invincible to the monsters and then murdering them a bunch.

Do you have to use a weapon appropriate to your class? It seems like this spear is a ton better than the bow because it hits everybody in range when it swings and range doesn't seem to matter all that much since you need to take 0 damage from enemies to not die when unattended.

Bedurndurn fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Apr 3, 2021

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out
matter dimensions is fun because there's lots of tinkering to do and when you got break points you go real fast, but the automation still needs to be moved up and/or always permanent

I'm midway through atomic and between theories and collider poo poo there's a ton of levers to Mrs with that won't screw you up completely. I'll probably be biological Monday

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Bedurndurn posted:

Do you have to use a weapon appropriate to your class? It seems like this spear is a ton better than the bow because it hits everybody in range when it swings and range doesn't seem to matter all that much since you need to take 0 damage from enemies to not die when unattended.

At the beginning I honestly don't think it really matters that much, but there are some rare weapon drops from mobs that are class-themed which are probably going to scale better than the basic gear.

If you keep going down the quest lines with your highest level character you'll unlock a special talent that can be used on all your characters that allows you to regen a certain percentage of HP on each kill while AFK. This significantly improves survivability and requires only an investment of 5-10 special talent points to be useful. Once you unlock stamps you can also improve HP on all your low-level characters quite a bit by upgrading those. Those bonuses are shared between all your characters (up to a limit to prevent too much twinking).

bubbapook
Jan 14, 2008

Is there a goony channel for NGU Industries discord? I'm in the one for NGU already, but am after the new hotness.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

bubbapook posted:

Is there a goony channel for NGU Industries discord? I'm in the one for NGU already, but am after the new hotness.

I'm really hoping NGU Indusries had a separate discord from NGU Idle or that goons spin up their own, because the NGU Idle discord is filled with a number of distinctly unpleasant personalities who have just stuck around long enough to be fixtures and make the whole thing kinda toxic.

bubbapook
Jan 14, 2008

Toshimo posted:

I'm really hoping NGU Indusries had a separate discord from NGU Idle or that goons spin up their own, because the NGU Idle discord is filled with a number of distinctly unpleasant personalities who have just stuck around long enough to be fixtures and make the whole thing kinda toxic.

There is a separate Discord already. I was just asking if there was a goon section / role like there is on NGU.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Should be, just gotta PM 4g with your username.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Ineptitude posted:

Yeah MD doesn’t really do it for me either.

Getting to the first Vacuumic and losing ALL other progress/upgrades/uautomation was very demoralizing. (Sure, achievements does help a bit, as well as the few starter nau/grav/photons)

So, uh, how many times am I supposed to make this grind? It takes hours of active play per attempt.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Peachfart posted:

So, uh, how many times am I supposed to make this grind? It takes hours of active play per attempt.

It's less of a grind from now on cause you can go straight for the "bonuses scale off highest ever gravitons" upgrade in neutronic. But yeah the automation is still way too late, so you'll be doing manual gravitonics until well into the next layer.

Pseudoscorpion
Jul 26, 2011

Matter Dimensions is really not an idle game in the normal sense. It's very active, which is sometimes a good thing and sometimes bad. Definitely the low point was early vaccuumic, I think. I've kind of fallen off it for real this time having hit atomic and not really caring much to grind out the hundreds of atoms/collider knowledge needed to get anywhere.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).

Peachfart posted:

If you thought that was bad wait until you you get to neutronic challenges! (Resets everything and puts you under the challenge restrictions, which you have no idea if you can do)

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
The most pure look of delight
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1433990/NGU_INDUSTRIES/

game out

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
yesss :getin:

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

drat it I'm conflicted on jumping in right now or waiting a bit

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Ineptitude posted:

If you thought that was bad wait until you you get to neutronic challenges! (Resets everything and puts you under the challenge restrictions, which you have no idea if you can do)

I just opened a new tab and if I fail the challenge go back to the previous game state

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

I don't want to mess up my steam playtime stats so I'm running the game directly from the folder instead of through steam. It looks like Steam cloud saves don't work this way (to be expected), probably buying stuff with real money won't work either, is there anything else that'll get hosed up by doing this?

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Pseudoscorpion posted:

Matter Dimensions is really not an idle game in the normal sense. It's very active, which is sometimes a good thing and sometimes bad. Definitely the low point was early vaccuumic, I think. I've kind of fallen off it for real this time having hit atomic and not really caring much to grind out the hundreds of atoms/collider knowledge needed to get anywhere.

If you're grinding out hundreds of atoms at any point you're doing it wrong. One of the fastest (and imo strongest) parts of the game

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug

Jabor posted:

I don't want to mess up my steam playtime stats so I'm running the game directly from the folder instead of through steam. It looks like Steam cloud saves don't work this way (to be expected), probably buying stuff with real money won't work either, is there anything else that'll get hosed up by doing this?

i'd assume anything that uses steam functions so achievements also probably won't report in

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

The Ninth Layer posted:

If you're grinding out hundreds of atoms at any point you're doing it wrong. One of the fastest (and imo strongest) parts of the game

Really? Early Atomic feels completely miserable and rote.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I threw a tenner your way for the newbie pack.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Looks great! I checked it out way early on but stopped playing to keep it fresh when it came out, looks like it's come a long way since then. Going to dive in and toss you $10 for a newbie pack just cuz

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

Can't play NGU Industries, I'm on a two-monitor setup and it opens in some massive resolution that makes it so I can't click on the first button past New Game. Shutting my second monitor doesn't fix this, the game just boots in a massive reso and there's no options or settings menu that I can see on the opening page.

e.: made it into the game, still no settings or options that I can see to fix this, can't really progress.

KazigluBey fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Apr 5, 2021

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug
huh. i also have a 2 monitor setup, but it boots in just regular ol 1080p for me.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire
It's almost a shock that natively displaying in 10800p isn't a deliberate troll. Did you check to make sure it doesn't just boot up a giant ms paint kitty?

Did you try hitting alt-enter or f11 or something to try to force it to fullscreen?

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

Thanks, this fixed it.

e.:

:v:

KazigluBey fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Apr 5, 2021

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

for what it's worth it did the same thing to me, though I found it easy enough to navigate over to the settings window and change the resolution.

Other than that, game feels good, numbers are in fact going up and that's all I need

cyrn
Sep 11, 2001

The Man is a harsh mistress.

Kyrosiris posted:

Really? Early Atomic feels completely miserable and rote.

Atomic is probably the least repetitive layer in the game, but I shelved it for a while after the first Atomic couple resets that are just 'get more points on reset' too (that was before he made the QoL changes that give you +1 to the starting reset points, though). The boosts for first reset on the next layer are strong enough you never experience it again.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

My dude I am begging (but will not bug, I'll ask once and only once) for Linux support

But I will absolutely eat up my 1.2tb data cap to play as much of Industries on a windows machine in the cloud as I can get away with regardless.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

NGU Industries - Is there any way to get some kind of OCD auto-sort option for factories in whatever open spaces you have?

Edit: Would also be nice to click on the resource in the list on the left and have it highlight all the factories on the map that are producing that item if there's no way to sort stuff.

explosivo fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Apr 5, 2021

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"
If you're playing NGU Industries for the first time, toggling the view (via the button to the left top of the factory view, above your resources) will let you view your current gain/loss per time period. It's great for very quickly figuring out your ratios without getting a sheet of paper out.

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug

SynthesisAlpha posted:

It's almost a shock that natively displaying in 10800p isn't a deliberate troll. Did you check to make sure it doesn't just boot up a giant ms paint kitty?

Did you try hitting alt-enter or f11 or something to try to force it to fullscreen?

wait. why is natively displaying in 1080p considered a troll? am i missing something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

something posted:

wait. why is natively displaying in 1080p considered a troll? am i missing something?

You're missing a 0 I said 10800p!