Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What are you hitting monsters with?
Bow
Charge Blade
Dual Blades
Great Sword
Gunlance
Hammer
Heavy Bowgun
Hunting Horn
Insect Glaive
Lance
Light Bowgun
Longsword
Switch Axe
Sword and Shield
View Results

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

what do you all think is the best weapon for playing completely reactively - think counters, evades, etc, not Greatsword-esque precognition - that also isn't Lance?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Ciaphas posted:

what do you all think is the best weapon for playing completely reactively - think counters, evades, etc, not Greatsword-esque precognition - that also isn't Lance?
CB or Gunlance

learn to love the guard point

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Ciaphas posted:

Charge blade was made for this

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Do you have to do all the weapon quests to unlock the 3rd tier switch skills? I only did the hammer one hoping it would unlock one lol

Each quest should unlock a new switch skill. The other one comes from having crafted/upgraded a certain number of weapons of that type. Did you already unlock the second switch skill for hammers and the third didn't unlock from the quest?

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Harrow posted:

Each quest should unlock a new switch skill. The other one comes from having crafted/upgraded a certain number of weapons of that type. Did you already unlock the second switch skill for hammers and the third didn't unlock from the quest?

Yeah exactly

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

In Training posted:

If I want to quickly unlock the switch skills for weapons I haven't used yet, can I just make 8 Bone Hammers or whatever, or do they need to be unique upgrades/forges?

I'm pretty sure they're not unique, it just counts 'hammers in inventory' so upgrading a hammer from Bone I -> Bone II still only counts as 1 hammer (1 hammer in an inventory spot), but making 5 bone 1 hammers probably counts because that's 5 inventory spots taken up.

I'm not 100% sure on this, but worst-case scenario if you make 2 bone, 2 ore, and a unique if the bone/ore pairs don't count you can upgrade one once and they probably will.

Fitzy Fitz posted:

This game is extremely confusing, but I have faith that if I keep beating up the monsters I'll eventually figure it all out.

The true Monster Hunter spirit!

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Huh, weird. As an example, I haven't unlocked the weapon forging switch skill for hunting horn yet but I did the quest for the third skill and now I have a second switch skill slot (the third, presumably, will come from the forging/upgrading one). The skill should just be unlocked when you do the quest.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Ok so I tried a decent amount of switch axe (my main in world) and I just cannot get excited for it. I got the switch art that does the explosion dive which is cool. I guess you can stick the sword in monsters still. I dunno I feel like I’m missing something

I’m going back to Hammer for now but it is a bit disappointing. Next weapon I’ll try is Gunlance

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost
Is there anything useful locked behind the village content? I do not enjoy playing solo at all so if I'm not missing out on anything but story I'll just leave it alone.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Diephoon posted:

Is there anything useful locked behind the village content? I do not enjoy playing solo at all so if I'm not missing out on anything but story I'll just leave it alone.

Lots of cool looking weapons need Kamura tickets which only come from clearing the village story.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

How changed is the general CB rotation from World? As I'm getting further into High Rank I'm starting to miss my big exploding slash.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

MMF Freeway posted:

Charge blade was made for this

Imagine if the counter from the Lance wasn't a bonus poke, but one of the most damaging moves in the game. Reactive CB is fairly tricky compared to Lance, though.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I decided to start trying out the IG switch skills now that I'm in high rank and lemme tell you, they rock. Tetraseal Slash especially is amazing with an assist kinsect. Advancing Roundslash is somewhat tricky to time but it's really cool to have a move that lets you close distance and will also counter an attack if you get hit mid-move.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

PoptartsNinja posted:

making 5 bone 1 hammers probably counts because that's 5 inventory spots taken up

tested this with ten bone weapons and it doesnt work

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

I got the IG skill just from upgrading the default Kamura line and also making the first Magnamalo one, I think the idea is that they want you to invest in some trees and not just make a bunch of cheap ones.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

tested this with ten bone weapons and it doesnt work

That's good to know, I was going to test it after work.

Five unique weapons of type in inventory, then. Still should be pretty achievable with minimal grinding.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

PoptartsNinja posted:

That's good to know, I was going to test it after work.

Five unique weapons of type in inventory, then. Still should be pretty achievable with minimal grinding.

Upgrades count too. I had 4 LBGs when I got the skills, but some had been upgraded.

If you're looking to unlock the skill, maybe just build and upgrade the trees you're interested in first? May just unlock along the way.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

So something that caught me off guard is you don't go back to Utsushi to confirm the clearing of the quest and get the switch skill. It just unlocks in the post-quest confirmation boxes that tell you how much money and points you got, etc etc. So check in your menu to see if it's there.

Ramie
Mar 2, 2021

Ciaphas posted:

ok i gotta rant about this again, why are we stuck to loving glaives with bugs, i want a bostaff with which to clonk e.g. diabolos upside the goddamn noggin

not to imply there's anything wrong with well known clonkers Hammer and Hunting Horn, but it's not my aesthetic dangit :mad:

Ciaphas posted:

agreed, though in this case I think i'd be happy with a great sword that looks suspiciously axe-like

We actually had both of these in the same game once:

https://kiranico.com/index.php/en/mh4u/weapon/insectglaive/mind-stick-wizard
https://kiranico.com/en/mh4u/weapon/greatsword/dreaming-dalamadur

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

Electric Phantasm posted:

So in World if you did that lunging slash toward a wall your hunter would run up jump off and plunge the sword instead of doing the regular jump attack.

This is extremely good for getting mounts if you could get a monster near a wall because you do constant damage while your sword is out.

you can do this out of falling shadow too, fyi. just press x+a in the air.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Ciaphas posted:

Unironically Longsword. The foresight slash & Iai counter are back from IB and one of the silkbug skills is a massive counter slash that hits like a freight train.

Horace Kinch fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Apr 3, 2021

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Alxprit posted:

So something that caught me off guard is you don't go back to Utsushi to confirm the clearing of the quest and get the switch skill. It just unlocks in the post-quest confirmation boxes that tell you how much money and points you got, etc etc. So check in your menu to see if it's there.

Oh word. I didn’t check after to see if it unlocked, I just assumed it didn’t lol. I’ll check later, thanks!

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Oh Snapple! posted:

How changed is the general CB rotation from World? As I'm getting further into High Rank I'm starting to miss my big exploding slash.

Pretty much the same, although I'd say the overall game plan is slightly different compared to World. SAED is still it's most powerful move, but it's significantly harder to land all the phial hits now as they go further out from the initial hit and have smaller hitboxes. So you'll often be in situations where AED is the right choice, especially since the new wirebug counter move doesn't always leave you in the best spot. On top of that savage axe can be better sustained dps on the right target so you'll sometimes want to do that instead. Overall I think the CB play style is the most balanced it's ever been, with every aspect of the weapon being The Best at certain times.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Are the hammer switch skills kinda bad? Other then water strike which is better than the alternative but still very hard to actually use properly the other ones feel like big downgrades

Also do multiple hits KO faster? If I flip into someone’s head is it way easier to KO or is it based on raw damage

AnEndcat
Mar 21, 2013

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Are the hammer switch skills kinda bad? Other then water strike which is better than the alternative but still very hard to actually use properly the other ones feel like big downgrades

Also do multiple hits KO faster? If I flip into someone’s head is it way easier to KO or is it based on raw damage

Dash Breaker has a lot of iframes in the middle of the dash, super armour for the final part of the hit, and most importantly keeps your charge so you can immediately go into a level 3 attack (or impact crater if you had 3 wirebugs). It's not a no-brainer like Water Strike appears to be over its alternative, but it definitely has its uses.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I get some good use out of dash breaker but most of the time I’d rather keep the wirebugs for impact crater

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib

Harrow posted:

I decided to start trying out the IG switch skills now that I'm in high rank and lemme tell you, they rock. Tetraseal Slash especially is amazing with an assist kinsect. Advancing Roundslash is somewhat tricky to time but it's really cool to have a move that lets you close distance and will also counter an attack if you get hit mid-move.

Isn’t the slash better with powder kinsects?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I love that hammer has a guard point now.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

In Training posted:

I love that hammer has a guard point now.
and SnS has a guard point

and Gunlance has a guard point

it's the year of the guard point :sax:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Star posted:

Isn’t the slash better with powder kinsects?

It's good with them, too, but the reason it's great with the assist kinsects is because they get a lot of hits in during the Tetraseal Slash animation. It hits a bunch of times in quick succession with the assist kinsect trailing the whole way. Testing it out on the training dummy and you get like double the hits with Tetraseal if you have an assist kinsect, and it's a meaningful damage increase.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Dash Breaker and Spinning Bludgeon are both really good, so the choice between them is pretty hard. Spinning Bludgeon is much better against slow or tall monsters like the bears or Anjanath, while Dash Breaker's full second of invulnerability while dashing makes it great against monsters that move a lot or have big hard-to-dodge AOEs. Dash Breaker also remembers your charge after you dash, so if you charge up to level 3, Dash Breaker, and tap your charge button you'll throw out the L3 charge attack immediately (or you can push and hold if you need to reposition after the dash). Dash Breaker makes Magnamalo, Nargacuga, and most of the other kitty dragons into chumps, it's great.

I vastly prefer Strength over Courage, but Courage probably does more damage if you can use it well. It's a totally different playstyle, like switching from a Long Gunlance to a Wide one. I could see Courage being really useful but it also feels extremely demanding. It feels like you'll have to know the monster you're fighting perfectly to get consistent L3 charge combos going since even the slightest tap will interrupt you, but I would bet we'll see Hammer speedrunners using it if they're not already.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

so a rathian ruby is listed as 3% in carve and cap chance. Does that mean it's better to always kill if specifically searching for rubies, since 3 carves?

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Ok I checked and I did indeed get the switch skill unlock lol

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Fought my first Barroth, it weren't poo poo. It was the quest leading into Wildspire. I had the Axeswitch and I'd forgotten the combos as I'd been playing with Buster all day. Still managed to conk it out without breaking much of a sweat. I took advice from the thread, spent the first few minutes just observing it's attack patterns. Then when I attacked, I noticed his head was a bouncy boy so I switched targets to it's back leg, same issue. Move to the front leg and managed to get it.

I have a hard time differentiating the weapons in the Research Manual. It only ever shows 3 icons, so does that mean only those three exact weapons will do bonus damage against it?

Kobogartimer
Mar 17, 2006

Ciaphas posted:

so a rathian ruby is listed as 3% in carve and cap chance. Does that mean it's better to always kill if specifically searching for rubies, since 3 carves?

You get a certain number of rewards for capturing, and each of them has a chance. 3-4 I think.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Qubee posted:

Fought my first Barroth, it weren't poo poo. It was the quest leading into Wildspire. I had the Axeswitch and I'd forgotten the combos as I'd been playing with Buster all day. Still managed to conk it out without breaking much of a sweat. I took advice from the thread, spent the first few minutes just observing it's attack patterns. Then when I attacked, I noticed his head was a bouncy boy so I switched targets to it's back leg, same issue. Move to the front leg and managed to get it.

I have a hard time differentiating the weapons in the Research Manual. It only ever shows 3 icons, so does that mean only those three exact weapons will do bonus damage against it?

It's been a while since I've played World but I believe those are damage types. The greatsword icon means severing, the hammer icon is bludgeoning, and the bullet icon is bow/bowgun. So it doesn't mean those weapons specifically, but it's using them to indicate which types of damage a monster's parts are vulnerable to.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Are the Barroth weapons and other -affinity weapons worth making? If I understand the math correctly I think the extra raw damage they tend to have makes up for it, but I'm not sure.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Barroth's pretty unique, in that not only can severing weapons cut off its tail for an extra carve but bludgeoning weapons like hammer and hunting horn can smash off the top of Barroth's head for an extra carve as well. In terms of 'most painful-looking part breaks' that one's right up there with breaking both of Barioth's teeth.

Barroth's head may be hard as a rock but hammer still gotta bonk it. :haw:

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Harrow posted:

It's been a while since I've played World but I believe those are damage types. The greatsword icon means severing, the hammer icon is bludgeoning, and the bullet icon is bow/bowgun. So it doesn't mean those weapons specifically, but it's using them to indicate which types of damage a monster's parts are vulnerable to.

Ah ok, that makes more sense! Seemed extremely limiting otherwise.

Can someone tell me if I need to make these paralysis phials for the weapon bonus to work?Just realised it's when I power up the sword and attack it with the sword that it's active. What does affinity mean, and how do I upgrade sharpness. I'm tired of my weapon blunting so fast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Sharpness will naturally increase as you go up in rarity, though there's also some armor skills that help manage it.

I think affinity is essentially crit, with negative affinity meaning a chance to actually do less damage? Usually they have a higher raw damage number than other stuff as a tradeoff.