Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chilihead
Nov 5, 2010

Is this real life, or is this fantasy?

rare Magic card l00k posted:

Calling anyone who didn't vote for your side stupid is going to hurt your chances of convincing people more than cancel culture ever will.

I think cancel culture is divisive and a distraction. I voted mostly Democratic and I'm not hding that fact. I'm telling people to stop applauding this poo poo because it seems right...at the moment. I do not condone canceling the Atlanta all star game and I think it will have negative political aspects.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

First of all the claim that “now more people are motivated to address “cancel” culture than real issues” is wrong and the only reason someone would think that is if they judged it by the amount of angry people on Twitter. Also I believe your understanding of how the last election in Georgia went down is incorrect. It wasn’t about convincing the poor downtrodden unenlightened Trump supporters that they should change their vote. Because that’s impossible because they are garbage who will happily be poor if a Black person was poorer. It was actually about supercharging turnout among actual good people. These laws now make the ability to turnout like before effectively impossible. So they cannot be allowed to remain.

The idea that people who voted for Biden are "good people" is kinda silly imo. The real thing that happened in GA was that PMCs in the suburbs are trending more democratic and that population is growing in GA at the moment and that along with large democratic turnout in the cities from black people was enough for Biden to win.

chilihead posted:

I think cancel culture is divisive and a distraction. I voted mostly Democratic and I'm not hding that fact. I'm telling people to stop applauding this poo poo because it seems right...at the moment. I do not condone canceling the Atlanta all star game and I think it will have negative political aspects.
"cancel culture" is literally a term with no meaning lol

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Julio Cruz posted:

turn your monitor on

e: for content: boycotts are meant to hurt people, that's why they're effective. some of the people this will hurt are minority and/or poor, and that's unfortunate, but the reality is that laws like this that restrict people's voting options are going to hurt them way more in the long-term than their businesses losing a busy week's take

This is easy for you to say when you are not the disadvantaged minority getting hurt. Admitting that you are essentially espousing "the ends justify the means" here, this actually makes way for different approaches to be heard, because maybe there is a way to fight voting restrictions WITHOUT breaking those eggs.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

chilihead posted:

Honestly the think tank on this liberal forum gets this. We need to understand that blindly following this agenda can hurt as much as it helps. And i'm out. MLB did this without thinking. that's my take as a freaking liberal.

blindly following what "agenda", exactly? because the only "agenda" I can see here is that all people should have the ability to vote, unrestricted by any laws like the one in Georgia, and if you think that "agenda" hurts as much as it helps then we won't miss you when you stop posting here

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

mcmagic posted:

The idea that people who voted for Biden are "good people" is kinda silly imo. The real thing that happened in GA was that PMCs in the suburbs are trending more democratic and that population is growing in GA at the moment and that long with large democratic turnout in the cities from black people was enough for Biden to win.

I was painting with a broad brush with terms like Good and Bad People for the sake of not opening up a discussion unrelated to the matter directly at hand.

chilihead
Nov 5, 2010

mcmagic posted:

The idea that people who voted for Biden are "good people" is kinda silly imo. The real thing that happened in GA was that PMCs in the suburbs are trending more democratic and that population is growing in GA at the moment and that along with large democratic turnout in the cities from black people was enough for Biden to win.

Exactly. Always believed that. It is consumerism. Canceling the all star game in Atlanta ain't that.

Edit. And the changing of voter rules is directly because of younger more urban more liberal voters are making it impossible for conservatives, ie...Republicans to get elected. We all read. We are all angry. This isn't fair. If they dont change the rules they they wont get elected.
Keep the game...get out this message?
Wtf am I missing here....games? Hate?

chilihead fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Apr 3, 2021

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

chilihead posted:

Exactly. Always believed that. It is consumerism. Canceling the all star game in Atlanta ain't that.

Not sure how you got to that from what I posted. Corporate pressure is literally the only way this law is getting changed short of democrats winning statewide which this law is designed to prevent from happening.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

fawning deference posted:

This is easy for you to say when you are not the disadvantaged minority getting hurt. Admitting that you are essentially espousing "the ends justify the means" here, this actually makes way for different approaches to be heard, because maybe there is a way to fight voting restrictions WITHOUT breaking those eggs.

OK then, let's hear your great plan for fighting voting restrictions that doesn't actually hurt anybody but still manages to convince the Georgia GOP to change their minds though ~civil debate~ or whatever bullshit that works on the West Wing but not in the real world

e: this is getting way off-topic for the MLB thread, I'm happy to take the discussion either to the USPOL thread here or the State/Local Politics thread here if people wish

Julio Cruz fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Apr 3, 2021

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Doesn't the bill expand weekend voting for native Georgians, thereby expanding voting access to more black Georgians in total, since the voter ID restriction is for absentee-ballots only (a very small percentage of voters)?

Not being snarky, tell me if I have it wrong.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

mcmagic posted:

Not sure how you got to that from what I posted. Corporate pressure is literally the only way this law is getting changed short of democrats winning statewide which this law is designed to prevent from happening.

Secondary is that large corporate pressure will goose Dems in Congress to do what they need to do to shove through voting rights legislation that forces change upon a state like Georgia whether they like it or not.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

chilihead posted:

that's my take as a freaking liberal.
yes your take is definitely a liberal one

chilihead
Nov 5, 2010

mcmagic posted:

How is the game in Milwaukee changing the message they can get out if Georgia? Using a possiblity of the Milwaukee game

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Julio Cruz posted:

OK then, let's hear your great plan for fighting voting restrictions that doesn't actually hurt anybody but still manages to convince the Georgia GOP to change their minds though ~civil debate~ or whatever bullshit that works on the West Wing but not in the real world

I am not here to give you my perfect solution. I don't have one. Neither do you.

I am just saying, Abrams knows a lot more about this issue on the ground than either of us, and her position is interesting.

I also think it's easy to ask other people to sacrifice their personal well-being an opportunities for a larger cause. It's harder to make those demands of yourself. If you were a person on the wrong side of a boycott - say, a working class immigrant mother of three who was going to be employed for this special event who is now wondering what the hell she is going to do - it's not so easy to convince her that this is the right thing to do.

chilihead
Nov 5, 2010

bawfuls posted:

yes your take is definitely a liberal one

My take as a person that hates voter restrictions?
What's your take. Afraid to say whatever it is that will upset forum folks. Afraid to say I want the game in Atlanta? Coward.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

I am not here to give you my perfect solution. I don't have one. Neither do you.

you know what I do have, though? a solution. sitting there and saying "well we must do something but we don't know what" will only ever achieve precisely gently caress all

I also think it's easy to ask other people to sacrifice their personal well-being an opportunities for a larger cause. It's harder to make those demands of yourself. If you were a person on the wrong side of a boycott - say, a working class immigrant mother of three who was going to be employed for this special event who is now wondering what the hell she is going to do - it's not so easy to convince her that this is the right thing to do.

how does she feel about permanently losing her right to vote? because make no mistake, that's the direction that Georgia is heading in if they can do this and get away with it

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

chilihead posted:

“I’m a liberal but *spouts chud poo poo*” is straight out of 4chan and it isn’t fooling anyone.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Julio Cruz posted:

you know what I do have, though? a solution. sitting there and saying "well we must do something but we don't know what" will only ever achieve precisely gently caress all

I'm not saying we shouldn't have a solution. I think that having the idea that your solution is unequivocally, inarguably, the best and only solution for a complicated issue is silly and reactionary. This deserves care, methodology, and deference to people who know a whole lot more about the ins and outs of Georgian politics and how to actually make lasting, effective change while harming as few people as possible in the transition.

It's strange that you seem to be offended that Abrams has a different take than you do, and she has done so much for Georgian politics, on the ground, for years, getting out the vote, turning the tide of the political culture there. I'd think you would at least have the humility to at least say, "that's interesting, maybe she's right, maybe she's not."

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Julio Cruz posted:

how does she feel about permanently losing her right to vote? because make no mistake, that's the direction that Georgia is heading in if they can do this and get away with it

She obviously doesn't want this to happen, which is why you questioning her motives is strange. She just has a different idea of change than you do, and that's OK.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

chilihead posted:

My take as a person that hates voter restrictions?
What's your take. Afraid to say whatever it is that will upset forum folks. Afraid to say I want the game in Atlanta? Coward.
Your take is extremely liberal in that you’re afraid of any confrontation with the right for fear of angering them.

chilihead
Nov 5, 2010

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

“I’m a liberal but *spouts chud poo poo*” is straight out of 4chan and it isn’t fooling anyone.

Your all hiding behind this incredibly controversial poo poo. I'm not a "Republican" Chad but believe this ahit is wrong. Now of course it's not what you like to hear. Why must the two always be the same?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

chilihead posted:

How is the game in Milwaukee changing the message they can get out if Georgia? Using a possiblity of the Milwaukee game

Because the cancelation of the game BECOMES the issue. If they have the game in GA and make a statement or something no one would give a poo poo.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

chilihead posted:

Your all hiding behind this incredibly controversial poo poo. I'm not a "Republican" Chad but believe this ahit is wrong. Now of course it's not what you like to hear. Why must the two always be the same?

Refusing to try to make anything better because doing so will incite the right is a path for useless cowards.

The right is unmoored from reality and they’re going to call everyone else snowflakes swimming in cancel culture regardless of what is done.

chilihead
Nov 5, 2010

bawfuls posted:

Your take is extremely liberal in that you’re afraid of any confrontation with the right for fear of angering them.

The game is important. Not more important then voting rights. This doesn't feel like it's helping.

chilihead
Nov 5, 2010

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Refusing to try to make anything better because doing so will incite the right is a path for useless cowards.

The right is unmoored from reality and they’re going to call everyone else snowflakes swimming in cancel culture regardless of what is done.

Your on my side and making a point that unbridled allegiance sounds stupid. Do you want change or to be the guy or forum poster who stays a part of the solution?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

chilihead posted:

Your on my side and making a point that unbridled allegiance sounds stupid. Do you want change or to be the guy or forum poster who stays a part of the solution?

So what change are you proposing?

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

I'm not saying we shouldn't have a solution. I think that having the idea that your solution is unequivocally, inarguably, the best and only solution for a complicated issue is silly and reactionary. This deserves care, methodology, and deference to people who know a whole lot more about the ins and outs of Georgian politics and how to actually make lasting, effective change while harming as few people as possible in the transition.

tell you what, let's start with a solution that actually exists, and maybe if someday a magical solution can be found that achieves everything and hurts no-one then we'll switch to that, OK? but for now we'll go with doing something over doing nothing at all, because doing nothing is the one thing that's guaranteed not to achieve our aims

It's strange that you seem to be offended that Abrams has a different take than you do, and she has done so much for Georgian politics, on the ground, for years, getting out the vote, turning the tide of the political culture there. I'd think you would at least have the humility to at least say, "that's interesting, maybe she's right, maybe she's not."

I literally haven't mentioned Abrams once so I really don't know where you got this weird idea that she's "offended" me somehow

chilihead
Nov 5, 2010

chilihead posted:

I'm out before I'm banned. Go Braves. I do not talk about poo poo to make internet points. The Georgia laws are an abomination on democracy. The canceled game will not help this but hurt it. That is all.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

the white sox brought up a 28 year-old rectangular shaped rookie catcher last night and he became the first player in MLB history to go 5 for 5 in his debut
https://twitter.com/NBCSWhiteSox/status/1378241445715410948?s=20

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

chilihead posted:

I'm out before I'm banned. Go Braves. I do not talk about poo poo to make internet points. The Georgia laws are an abomination on democracy. The canceled game will not help this but hurt it. That is all.

how about you don't get banned but instead you can only post at certain times, and you're not allowed to complain about it because that will hurt more than it helps

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

R.D. Mangles posted:

the white sox brought up a 28 year-old rectangular shaped rookie catcher last night and he became the first player in MLB history to go 5 for 5 in his debut
https://twitter.com/NBCSWhiteSox/status/1378241445715410948?s=20

Minor clarification this wasn't his debut as he had a couple of pinch hit ABs last season. It was his first MLB start though. Still very cool, love to see rookies hot right out of the gate.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

To answer an earlier question on why Georgia’s law are evil despite appearing to be neutral.

https://twitter.com/jbouie/status/1377999458269548546

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

chilihead posted:

Hey man let me help you with the definition of cancel culture:

it's not real

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
Anyway literally no one is going to care about this politically by this time next year, if the Democrats want to hold onto the Senate in general and Warnock's spot in particular then they should turn on the money spigot because that's gonna get a lot more people to the polls than anything immediately sports-related.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

elentar posted:

Anyway literally no one is going to care about this politically by this time next year, if the Democrats want to hold onto the Senate in general and Warnock's spot in particular then they should turn on the money spigot because that's gonna get a lot more people to the polls than anything immediately sports-related.

This is also correct.

chilihead
Nov 5, 2010

Spoeank posted:

Hey man let me help you with the definition of cancel culture:

it's not real

No poo poo. How about agreeing with believing in a cause is not adhering to everything that person or business agrees to. That's the same. Can I not believe in voters rights and not believe in this game being moved?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

chilihead posted:

No poo poo. How about agreeing with believing in a cause is not adhering to everything that person or business agrees to. That's the same. Can I not believe in voters rights and not believe in this game being moved?

All the reasons to not move the game are pretty dumb.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
https://twitter.com/nickgroke/status/1378221980147609602

Ah yes, it is time to reward the Rockies for uh... paying $50M to dump Arenado's contract and destroying any last shred of goodwill they had remaining with their fanbase.

chilihead
Nov 5, 2010

mcmagic posted:

All the reasons to not move the game are pretty dumb.

It's a huge thing to the team and the people of Atlanta and also the movement. It's easy for everyone to forget that. Your assumption...moving the game helps voter rights. Like it's a button pressed in a video game. It's not that simple. Also everyone else on this sub. It automatically makes me more of a proponent of voter right. Not that simple.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

chilihead posted:

It's a huge thing to the team and the people of Atlanta and also the movement. It's easy for everyone to forget that. Your assumption...moving the game helps voter rights. Like it's a button pressed in a video game. It's not that simple. Also everyone else on this sub. It automatically makes me more of a proponent of voter right. Not that simple.

I don't know that moving it will help but I know it won't hurt and it might help. That is enough for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

https://twitter.com/jeffpassan/status/1378380154075021314?s=21