Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.

ghosTTy posted:

Talking about NFTs the same way you were talking about BTC in 2013 or altcoins in 2017, more egg soon for your epic nocoiner face?

This didn't age well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

von Vicious
Apr 2, 2015

I'M A GINGER BABY WwwWWaaAaAhhH!!!
Its forming a classic "Bart Simpsons Hair" pattern. Could be bullish.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
reminder: if someone explains something having to do with bitcoin or blockchains to you, and your gut response is "it can't be that stupid, you must be explaining it wrong", it means they actually explained it correctly

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Hammerite posted:

reminder: if someone explains something having to do with bitcoin or blockchains to you, and your gut response is "it can't be that stupid, you must be explaining it wrong", it means they actually explained it correctly

does anyone have a big copy of the JPEG that says this

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe
this one?

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole
Where did that phrase come from, I want to laugh

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

CongoJack posted:

Where did that phrase come from, I want to laugh

the YOSPOS buttcoiin thraed

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!
https://twitter.com/anildash/status/1377970192404393992

quote:

But the NFT prototype we created in a one-night hackathon had some shortcomings. You couldn’t store the actual digital artwork in a blockchain; because of technical limits, records in most blockchains are too small to hold an entire image. Many people suggested that rather than trying to shoehorn the whole artwork into the blockchain, one could just include the web address of an image, or perhaps a mathematical compression of the work, and use it to reference the artwork elsewhere.

We took that shortcut because we were running out of time. Seven years later, all of today’s popular NFT platforms still use the same shortcut. This means that when someone buys an NFT, they’re not buying the actual digital artwork; they’re buying a link to it. And worse, they’re buying a link that, in many cases, lives on the website of a new start-up that’s likely to fail within a few years. Decades from now, how will anyone verify whether the linked artwork is the original?
There’s only one exception to the lack of interest in blockchain apps today: apps for trading cryptocurrencies themselves. What results is an almost hermetically sealed economy, whose currencies exist only to be traded and become derivatives of themselves. If you squint, it looks like an absurd art project.
In the meantime, the current NFT market is drawing an extraordinary range of grifters and spammers. People are creating NFTs of artists’ works without asking permission or even letting the artists know. Today, I run a platform that helps people create apps. Typically, the most popular apps are prosaic—messaging systems for work, or tools for building a website. For the entire first week of March, our most popular offering each day was a Twitter app that let people block lists of users en masse. The app skyrocketed in popularity because artists were using it to block NFT spammers from hijacking their works and monetizing them as NFTs without permission.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
GBS > Bitcoin: If you squint, it looks like an absurd art project.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Three Olives posted:

I've been busy trying so I haven't had time to process NFTs, but I am getting around to it...

Is my understanding correctly, that it is basically a blockchain receipt from a digital gallery that you "own" the right to display, but not actually possess the actual copyright to a file that is capable of being exactly reproduced an unlimited number of times without relieving it's provenience, like the actual ultra-high end art market is absolutely full of forgeries, scams and why photographs dictate a much smaller market than sculptures and paintings?

Like, literally the only difference between me making a copy of a Beeple file and displaying it in my home and the person that paid money for it is some pedantic nerd will argue with me that while it is completely identical in every way, I don't have the receipt?

*begins stripping any access of all art from everywhere except the NTF owner's link, there all fixed.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Gazpacho posted:

GBS > Bitcoin: If you squint, it looks like an absurd art project.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I had assumed the NFT on the blockchain would have a CRC or some other kind of hash, but no? just a link? that, uh, seems stupid.

human garbage bag
Jan 8, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
I don't see what's wrong with a digital autograph from the creator of the digital artwork. It would be interesting to see the legality of someone who isn't the creator autographing a piece of art and selling it without the creator's permission. Like what if Trump digitally autographed a random person's digital art and sold it as an NFT, would that be legal? I'm sure autographing a physical copy of said art and selling it without the artist's permission would be illegal.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
i don't think a lot of it has been tried in court yet, which i believe is what they call "disruption"

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

human garbage bag posted:

I don't see what's wrong with a digital autograph from the creator of the digital artwork. It would be interesting to see the legality of someone who isn't the creator autographing a piece of art and selling it without the creator's permission. Like what if Trump digitally autographed a random person's digital art and sold it as an NFT, would that be legal? I'm sure autographing a physical copy of said art and selling it without the artist's permission would be illegal.
the first is hype, the second is defacement

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

If it were inherently illegal there would be a big issue with the huge autographed product industry. The fact modifying a digital artwork involves copying it probably clouds the issue to some extent, but generally speaking I believe once you buy a product you are free to modify it as long as you later make it clear that it is a genuine product that has been modified for/by you. In fact there was/is trend of artists buying high end products like purses and painting them for resale.

Interestingly enough, one of the people in the business is Candice Bergen. Yes, that Candice Bergen. http://www.bergenbags.com/

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

It's not a "digital autograph", though. It's just a random Blockchain entry. The illegal part would be hosting or modifying someone else's work.

The Sausages
Sep 30, 2012

What do you want to do? Who do you want to be?

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
The only thing worse than not getting bitcoin is getting bitcoin.

Andy Dufresne
Aug 4, 2010

The only good race pace is suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die

What you're talking about is fraud, and it's illegal in the blockchain world and real life, technology has nothing to do with it. The illegal thing is profiting off of a lie to the market.

This NFT thing is exceptionally stupid because it doesn't prove anything about ownership in the real world. Sure, a sale could be recorded on the blockchain but it doesn't have to be. Even if beeple transferred ownership of an actual piece of digital art to me and recorded it on the blockchain, the blockchain isn't what proves the transfer. It's our contract that does (which may be verbal). From there I'd be able to sell it to Trump for $69 billion and I wouldn't have to record it on the blockchain. It would be a waste of money to do so

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost
And if you're going to talk to the artist to confirm ownership you might as well just ya know buy the art from the artist the old fashioned way

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

I feel like this is too generous, because heroin - while illegal - is a proper commodity with a very clear - if in most cases dubious - use and people will pay money to actually consume it. In this analogy, I believe it would be fairer to say that you could trade the Sudokus for WoW gold, except that you can barely buy anything in WoW with this particular gold and if you do manage to buy something chances are you'll end up paying much more than you initially thought and also you may get banned from the game for violating the rules. Oh and this WoW gold isn't kept somewhere on Blizzard's servers, you're entrusting your virtual fortune to a bunch of other players who don't have to worry much about boring, superfluous stuff like "oversight" or "regulations".

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

I thought "trade for heroin" referred to silk road

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Andy Dufresne posted:

This NFT thing is exceptionally stupid because it doesn't prove anything about ownership in the real world. Sure, a sale could be recorded on the blockchain but it doesn't have to be. Even if beeple transferred ownership of an actual piece of digital art to me and recorded it on the blockchain, the blockchain isn't what proves the transfer. It's our contract that does (which may be verbal). From there I'd be able to sell it to Trump for $69 billion and I wouldn't have to record it on the blockchain. It would be a waste of money to do so

It's just another iteration of freeman on the land bullshit, where people want to have their cake and eat it by being rugged individualists who are beholden to no-one, while also benefiting from a strong, codified system of ownership, and as always are too greedy and self absorbed to understand that all concepts of ownership are ultimately based on authority, so without anyone to back up your claim (which, whoops, you don't have because you based your ownership on a big decentralised system without any owners), all your poo poo is up for grabs for anyone who doesn't want to respect your fancy internet ledger.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
NFTs is like adopting a zoo animal, only it's a pokemon card that you hope to sell later for more.

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL

Paladinus posted:

NFTs is like adopting a zoo animal, but it's only a hyperlink to the badly photographed picture of a pokemon card on imgur that you hope to sell later for more.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe
an NFT is like an analogy

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

Party Boat posted:

Actually I think you're right, re-reading this I suppose the Sudokus are meant to represent both the calculations and the bitcoins resulting from them. I'd argue that still paints too positive a picture of bitcoin, though.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Can't you have an unlimited about of NFTs pointing to the exact same thing

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Sombrerotron posted:

I feel like this is too generous, because heroin - while illegal - is a proper commodity with a very clear - if in most cases dubious - use and people will pay money to actually consume it.

Wow, extremely close to getting it

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

xtal posted:

Wow, extremely close to getting it

No, you aren't.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

It's just another iteration of freeman on the land bullshit, where people want to have their cake and eat it by being rugged individualists who are beholden to no-one, while also benefiting from a strong, codified system of ownership, and as always are too greedy and self absorbed to understand that all concepts of ownership are ultimately based on authority, so without anyone to back up your claim (which, whoops, you don't have because you based your ownership on a big decentralised system without any owners), all your poo poo is up for grabs for anyone who doesn't want to respect your fancy internet ledger.

There was a guy who got a bunch of NFTs stolen, and the fallout was shown a bit in this thread:

https://twitter.com/ithayla/status/1371541609242710019

Including the response from the site owners: "This is the libertarian world working as intended. Feel free to purchase whatever justice you can afford."

The site owners know exactly what happened and who did it, but won't help the guy because nothing is forcing them to. He only managed to get anything back by contacting his credit card company. You know, the thing with the regulations.

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

Party Boat posted:

Remember when Silk Road's admin hired an FBI agent to assassinate himself and then got tackled at the library and an agent had to spend the next few days wiggling the cursor on his laptop so it wouldn't fall asleep? And then they had someone on the inside as an admin on the forums for Silk Road 2 from literally the day it started? Ah, the good old days.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Can't you have an unlimited about of NFTs pointing to the exact same thing

Yes.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
The War on Drugs is truly amazing

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

xtal posted:

theyve had some good albums but i dunno about amazing

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

xtal posted:

I appreciate your controversial yet brave pro-heroin position but I feel you need to be like eighty percent smugger if you want to properly "own" the Other.

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

Nessus posted:

I appreciate your controversial yet brave pro-heroin position but I feel you need to be like eighty percent smugger if you want to properly "own" the Other.

He’s an idiot it’s not even worth engaging him seriously. A cspam thread was talking about donating to a charity, i said that if they pick one I’ll help promote it in GBS. This upset xtal so greatly they vowed to never donate to the same charity gbs did. Another brain destroyed by the politics forums.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

He’s an idiot it’s not even worth engaging him seriously. A cspam thread was talking about donating to a charity, i said that if they pick one I’ll help promote it in GBS. This upset xtal so greatly they vowed to never donate to the same charity gbs did. Another brain destroyed by the politics forums.

Are you thinking of someone else?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

xtal posted:

Are you thinking of someone else?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=1&threadid=3925033&pagenumber=3166&perpage=40#post508282407