Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

lol that was one of the greatest examples of it ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

freeasinbeer posted:

I’m not sure who’s even shitposting anymore.

Also where is the end of encryption at.

its coming, its coming

its research, the errors in time estimates should be taken in logspace

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

So much fuss over the Laincourt Rocks.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Thanks, I still think about the original post sometimes and it never fails to make me laugh.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Who has the original post handy? I want to read the whole thing again because :lmao:

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

MrMoo posted:

So, today has this video, and idk, the comments are amazing as always, Hua Chunying pulls a long retort out of her hat and it sounds like the Chewbacca defense.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0oo8PsUKrA

I'm gonna do a whataboutism right here because lmao at a Chinese official going on about another country's state broadcaster's lack of impartiality

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Grand Fromage posted:

This is very very common in East Asia, I'm not sure why. Huge lists of stats and trivia without any real information.

I'm sure you've seen it reading an essay question on a test. "I don't really know the answer...but I do know this, and it could sound kinda related, and it fills up alot of blank space"

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Silly insignificant question here:

As an avid watcher of cricket, I am often appalled at the commentary. The Australian commentators don't seem to notice that there is another team on the pitch, all whilst fellating the great golden Aussie champions, even when they are losing. Sunil Gavaskar is a paid BCCI shill, and is even worse and more heavy handed in his one eyed deification of the Indian team to the exclusion of all others etc.

So I was wondering, how one-eyed and biased are the Chinese state media when covering/commentating on national sports? Are they relentless cheerleaders? Or do they turn hard and start demonizing the team for letting the country down if/when they start losing? Is it different with different sports? i.e. they deify the Ping Pong players that are expected to win and poo poo on them if they lose, but the national Soccer team are a team of plucky underdogs who, even if they lose 7-1 to Germany still fought hard for their country and that one goal is shown over and over again?

How do they cover the controversies? Like Sun Yang being a drug cheat etc. Or does stuff like that fall under the regular news as opposed to the sports desk?

It is a silly question, but in my time in China I never saw much coverage of sport on the TV. Apart from maybe an NBA or CBL game being played in the background of a shop.

Zushio
May 8, 2008

Grand Fromage posted:

This is very very common in East Asia, I'm not sure why. Huge lists of stats and trivia without any real information.

I actually love this in media, not in real life though.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
it is a thing to go and get the fuckups to do. much of business ops in east asia is dealin w life employment by wasting the fuckups lives

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Mr. Nice! posted:

So much fuss over the Laincourt Rocks.

Wait you mean those Serbian islands? Are they the center of some kind of controversy?

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

LimburgLimbo posted:

Wait you mean those Serbian islands? Are they the center of some kind of controversy?

I just remembered that one Paradox let's play in which the poster would keep on conquering increasingly unlikely areas of the globe for the Glorious Serbian Empire, the Third Rome, always stating afterwards something like "We have finally taken back the eternally Serbian province of Senkaku Islands, the 68th Rome"

China works the same way.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

MrMoo posted:

So, today has this video, and idk, the comments are amazing as always, Hua Chunying pulls a long retort out of her hat and it sounds like the Chewbacca defense.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0oo8PsUKrA

mofa deez nuts

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

LimburgLimbo posted:

haha lol

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

https://twitter.com/PandasAndVidya/status/1377882328899280897

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Porfiriato posted:

I hate "xx/458" twitter threads but this is pretty decent and probably dead on.

https://twitter.com/BeijingPalmer/status/1377403261561438214

Wait did people not understand why it was funny? What did they think happened? China was saying it was the wolf? Why would that be funny?

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

lmfao

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
:lmao: I just saw one of those Facebook on this day things that was a post I made April 2nd 2014 baffled that all my Google ads were in Chinese.

That was right after the second OPM leak. Holy lol how did I never put that together until now.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

BrigadierSensible posted:

Silly insignificant question here:

As an avid watcher of cricket, I am often appalled at the commentary. The Australian commentators don't seem to notice that there is another team on the pitch, all whilst fellating the great golden Aussie champions, even when they are losing. Sunil Gavaskar is a paid BCCI shill, and is even worse and more heavy handed in his one eyed deification of the Indian team to the exclusion of all others etc.

So I was wondering, how one-eyed and biased are the Chinese state media when covering/commentating on national sports? Are they relentless cheerleaders? Or do they turn hard and start demonizing the team for letting the country down if/when they start losing? Is it different with different sports? i.e. they deify the Ping Pong players that are expected to win and poo poo on them if they lose, but the national Soccer team are a team of plucky underdogs who, even if they lose 7-1 to Germany still fought hard for their country and that one goal is shown over and over again?

How do they cover the controversies? Like Sun Yang being a drug cheat etc. Or does stuff like that fall under the regular news as opposed to the sports desk?

It is a silly question, but in my time in China I never saw much coverage of sport on the TV. Apart from maybe an NBA or CBL game being played in the background of a shop.

I dunno about Chinese media, but I'm told the real way to watch cricket is to mute the TV and turn on the radio.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-iF09EhFOQ

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Who the gently caress watches Cricket?

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

Gaius Marius posted:

Who the gently caress watches Cricket?

Cool kids like me!
And if you ask nicely, I may even waste several hours of both of our lives trying to explain it to you.
:)

But really, my initial question was just about if the insane parochialism and thin skinned pettiness of Chinese State Media is translated to Chinese Sports Media.

Even though China doesn't play Test Cricket, which is the king of sports.

BrigadierSensible fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Apr 3, 2021

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Saw this just now:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-F1RpIE_c0

Holy poo poo, literal slave cotton being used in our products.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

BrigadierSensible posted:

Cool kids like me!
And if you ask nicely, I may even waste several hours of both of our lives trying to explain it to you.
:)

To answer your initial question, "yes", but it usually only really applies to the Olympics, World Cup, or some sort of international basketball game, so if you're not present when one is happening it's easy to miss.

They literally do all of what you said. Tiny upsets in China's favour get blasted like the moon landing, and large upsets where China performed poorly usually get their feeds cut before it's over. Think of how a really childish person handles the various outcomes of a game of chess, and you have the official stance.

Here is my favourite example of a clip having it all. https://youtu.be/RKkaMxO3KhA

The netizen reactions were also hilarious.

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

Blistex posted:

They literally do all of what you said. Tiny upsets in China's favour get blasted like the moon landing, and large upsets where China performed poorly usually get their feeds cut before it's over.

Surely someone still has a photo of the giant commemorative calligraphy rock or whatever it was they unveiled to celebrate beating South Korea (a nation ~1/20th the size of China) in the World Cup regional qualifiers a few years ago.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

:rip: China's Irish embassy Twitter account.

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Porfiriato posted:

Surely someone still has a photo of the giant commemorative calligraphy rock or whatever it was they unveiled to celebrate beating South Korea (a nation ~1/20th the size of China) in the World Cup regional qualifiers a few years ago.

...A monument to beating a country in the regional qualifiers? Not the main tournament itself?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Porfiriato posted:

I don't, I hope someone else does. One of the greatest things I've ever seen.

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

spacetoaster posted:

Saw this just now:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-F1RpIE_c0

Holy poo poo, literal slave cotton being used in our products.

Christ, the tankies in the comment section feel like I'm reading CSPAM. (yes, I know youtube comments are nearly universally awful)

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Blistex posted:

Here is my favourite example of a clip having it all. https://youtu.be/RKkaMxO3KhA

The netizen reactions were also hilarious.

God drat that video lol.

She literally couldn’t win haha.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

Blistex posted:

I remember this. I love that she had to apologize for the fact that a dumbarse actually getting in her way and handing her a wet, combersome object right as she was in a dogfight at the front caused her to slip into second.

It's a perfect official Chinese reaction. The officials/higher ups do something that is actively harmful and detrimental to the wellbeing of a good honest citizen just trying to live their lives. And they do it out of a wish to glorify themselves. Yet when it inevitably fucks up, the same officials force the victims to apologize for the hurt feelings that their actual pain has caused.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
https://twitter.com/apmd/status/1378326411287482368

I cannot place this accent for the life of me. It's like pseudo-Scot one moment, South African the next, all resting on a foundation of total bullshit... :thunk:

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

Pharohman777 posted:

...A monument to beating a country in the regional qualifiers? Not the main tournament itself?

Yeah. I’m pretty sure a photo of it got posted in one of the previous China threads but I’m not sure which one or where.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Rime posted:

I cannot place this accent for the life of me. It's like pseudo-Scot one moment, South African the next, all resting on a foundation of total bullshit... :thunk:

Definitely French Canadian or no it smells like toast

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Who has the original post handy? I want to read the whole thing again because :lmao:

I thought it was me, thankfully search works now, so I was able to find it in the last thread.

Megillah Gorilla posted:

It's that time of year again in Korea - Dokdo Day!

Would you like to watch a Kpop boyband singing about how Dokdo has always been Korea?

Turn subtitles on because no words I have can even begin to describe this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z285W7-ciis

Screenshot of "Nationalistic Wikipedia Quoting, the song:

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Fur20 posted:

i was going to suggest just smoking a strain called Winnie The Pooh but shockingly, this doesn't exist

https://www.iheartjane.com/products/4341/pot-deli-pooh

Jeoh posted:

real power comes from dumping lenin quotes

How do you get them to stay whole in your digestive tract?

And the only way to watch cricket is on a grassy embankment getting pissed paying minimal attention.

Zakrello
Feb 17, 2015

missile imbound

Rime posted:

in their eyes all westerners looks the same, just like westerners cannot distinguish Chinese/Korean/Japanese purely from our face.

and their intended audience are mainlanders so it really doesn't matter, as long as we know it's propaganda we are all good.

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

Rime posted:

It's a fairly clear Midlands accent. Apparently he's from Sheffield originally.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Zakrello posted:

in their eyes all westerners looks the same, just like westerners cannot distinguish Chinese/Korean/Japanese purely from our face.

Isn't it the case that any proper testing shows that Chinese/Korean/Japanese people can't tell Chinese/Korean/Japanese apart either?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Gromit posted:

Isn't it the case that any proper testing shows that Chinese/Korean/Japanese people can't tell Chinese/Korean/Japanese apart either?

I dunno about proper testing, but I'd ask friends and had a nearly 100% failure rate. The only time I ever saw a correct guess was when I was at a tourist place in Seoul with a Chinese girlfriend and one of the workers, totally unprompted, started speaking to her in Mandarin. Girlfriend was equally shocked since she'd been in Korea for several years at that point and had never once had someone correctly guess she was Chinese before.

I had several Chinese/Japanese/Vietnamese friends in Korea and other than that one time, literally everyone thought they were Korean in every interaction.

There are other ways to guess though--clothes, mainly. Mainlanders have a particular fashion that sticks out. If you're at an airport and see a crowd of olds in neon vests, those are Koreans. Purely on physical features? Nah. Koreans and Sichuanese often look fairly different, but like, Koreans and northeast Chinese? Good luck.

It's analogous to Europe. You might be able to tell Swedes and Greeks apart with a reasonable accuracy rate, but Swedes and Norwegians? I doubt it. People in East Asia don't like to admit it, but they have a long history of interaction and cross-cultural fuckin' just like any other group of neighboring countries and aren't that different from one another.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Apr 4, 2021