Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Bro Dad posted:

the netflix roman empire series has a season of caligula with mike duncan

I have a lot of issues with that netflix series and im not even an historian. It would send a real one in a murderous rage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Some Guy TT posted:

i have some horrifying news about caligula

https://mobile.twitter.com/ArtifactsHub/status/1377866670966902788

he may not have been gay

dope and timeless

palindrome
Feb 3, 2020

nice ring, it's cool that ancient emperors had a sense of style that transcends millennia. the girth makes me think it would be uncomfortable wearing it daily but I imagine he only donned it occasionally when feeling spicy or to do the needful. or maybe Caligula just had permanently splayed fingers from wearing ostentatious displays of wealth on all ten fingers!

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Platystemon posted:

dope and timeless

good to be a gangster

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Beter twee tetten in de hand dan tien op de vlucht.

Dalael posted:

I have a lot of issues with that netflix series and im not even an historian. It would send a real one in a murderous rage

Netflix also has a series about samurai and its just as bad.

I don’t get why tv makers keep doing this. Roman history is bonkers enough as it is, with plenty of larger than life characters. There is absolutely no need to invent all kinds of poo poo.

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna
Netflix history shows are frequently pretty lol, but I enjoyed Marco Polo which is as close to a big budget show on my area of study I'm ever likely to see in my lifetime.
The "prester john infantry crusaders marching on foot to Qaraqorum and wiping out a mongol army" admittedly did a number on me, and hundred eyes being a Confucian kung-fu monk was a pretty galaxy brain thing to write in, but they don't actually drive me crazy. Eventually you just realize all historically based pop culture is nonsense.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
Marco Polo owned cause Benedict Wong is the fuckin man and the Southern Mantis style-looking fight between Hundred Eyes and Jia Sidao was loving awesome

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna
Actually the Ibn Sina movie "The Physician" drove me to legit rage now that I think back on it. Blatantly offensive in execution.

e: I liked the character 100 Eyes a ton, and the kungfu stuff was generally great. As far as galaxy brain historical interpretation goes it was top-tier.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

I know very little about the Yuan so I’m not surprised to hear they just went nuts with some stuff. what was Hundred Eyes’ actual story?

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna
Bayan was literally just a mongol general whose career started as an officer under Helegu. Son and grandson of notable generals, including the commander of the original Keshig. Bayan was specifically the general who actually conquered the Song and was the kingmaker in Kublai's succession. Orson Welles once played him in yellowface.

Zedhe Khoja has issued a correction as of 18:44 on Apr 3, 2021

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

9-Volt Assault posted:

I don’t get why tv makers keep doing this. Roman history is bonkers enough as it is, with plenty of larger than life characters. There is absolutely no need to invent all kinds of poo poo.

The only one like this that I enjoyed is Ottomans and admitedly it's because I know next to nothing about the history in this time & period outside of Constantinople being conquered. So I can't really get annoyed by anything

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Dalael posted:

The only one like this that I enjoyed is Ottomans and admitedly it's because I know next to nothing about the history in this time & period outside of Constantinople being conquered. So I can't really get annoyed by anything

its the Official Turkish Government history version of what happened, which is a shame because it leaves out mehmet's hot boyfriend radu the beautiful (who was also dracula's brother)

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
https://twitter.com/btEgyptMag/status/1378413079248130055?s=19

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FE3_YWf3w3Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnlXW7KZl0c

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Some Guy TT posted:

i have some horrifying news about caligula

https://mobile.twitter.com/ArtifactsHub/status/1377866670966902788

he may not have been gay

Missing the rest of gostse

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Oh man Malcolm McDowell flashbacks.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

9-Volt Assault posted:

I tried watching that samurai one and even with my Wikipedia and a bit of podcasts level of knowledge it was still obviously rubbish

I've been listening to this podcast and I would definitely recommend it

https://sengokudaimyo.com/podcast

the guy seems like he knows what he's talking about (as far as I can tell) and it's pretty in depth (I'm nearly at episode 30 and they still haven't gotten to a definitely historical emperor yet)

reminds me a bit of the revolutions podcast, just one guy reading a bunch of sources and then narrating them, so there's no annoying cross talk or anything

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna

XMNN posted:

so there's no annoying cross talk or anything
someone needs to invent an app that inserts stavy sounds into any podcast.
the Kojicki would be 1000% better if there was a cackle and "hell yeah dude" when a bean is discovered in Ukemochi's cooter

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/ArtifactsHub/status/1378744467058913281

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/ArtifactsHub/status/1378722106855333892

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Bro Dad posted:

its the Official Turkish Government history version of what happened, which is a shame because it leaves out mehmet's hot boyfriend radu the beautiful (who was also dracula's brother)

Also one of the reasons why Dracula flipped out since radu became a Weibo.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

I love my gay half vampire bf

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

Zedhe Khoja posted:

someone needs to invent an app that inserts stavy sounds into any podcast.
the Kojicki would be 1000% better if there was a cackle and "hell yeah dude" when a bean is discovered in Ukemochi's cooter

he'll yeah dude that would rule

think I'm going to have to get a stav sound board app and do it myself

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
https://twitter.com/DanyyMcNamee/status/1379806650547179524

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

lol

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
https://twitter.com/philbc3/status/1380438979049361411?s=19

They found a lost city filled with artifacts related to Akhenaten and his father Amenhotep III, and it seems to be one of the most important finds in Egypt in the past century, pretty badass

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

gently caress yeah, that's a pretty sweet find considering the damnatio memoriae of Akhenaten.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Holy poo poo that is exciting.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

twoday posted:

They found a lost city filled with artifacts related to Akhenaten and his father Amenhotep III, and it seems to be one of the most important finds in Egypt in the past century, pretty badass

WHOA

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

twoday posted:

drat that's cool as hell

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

a fatguy baldspot posted:

I love my gay half vampire bf

A plot that should be a modern day anime story.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/johncarlbaker/status/1380511496149606402

Pascallion
Sep 15, 2003
Man, what the fuck, man?
Baroque: https://www.vam.ac.uk/articles/the-church-and-the-baroque

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

that’s a very good passage and why, while I don’t trust the Catholic (or orthodox) magisterium, I don’t buy the protestant idea that any old dumbass can interpret scripture. it’s just too big of a job

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Well fortunately for me, im not just any old dumbass, im a very specific dumbass :dadjoke:

That said, I think the author there is correct. Luke's Gospel is really interesting in that it places a heavy emphasis on the materially poor, which other gospels do not always share.

Now, it's probably worth talking briefly about the Synoptic Problem before going further. The Synoptic Problem is the unresolved issue of exactly how the first three Gospels, Matthew, Mark, and Luke, relate to each other in terms of writing.

They all share material with each other to such a degree that they could not have been written independently. Sometimes all three have the same passage with the same wording, sometimes two of the three have the same passage with the same wording. All three have some material that is unique to them and not found in other Gospels.

This is pretty easy to understand if you think of the writer of the Gospels not sitting down and writing from scratch but instead as more of a compiler, which is probably closer to the truth. Remember, none of the writers of any of the Gospels ever claimed to have actually met Jesus, they were writing 30-50 years after his death.

My personal opinion on the Synoptic Problem is that the author of Mark wrote first. He was almost certainly not the Mark who was Peter's translator, but I'll call him Mark for convenience. See, Mark claimed that he was just writing down what he heard from Peter and doing so from memory without access to Peter. Frankly, it's a very convenient way to collect the disparate stories of Jesus floating around and put them into some kind of narrative while also excusing the fact that he didn't actually know the order a lot of stuff happened. Remember, there were still plenty of living witnesses who could authoritatively call out errors, though the events of Jesus' life are about as distant to the writer of the Mark as we are now to the life of Martin Luther King Jr.

My opinion is that Luke wrote next, and again, the author is almost certainly not Luke the Evangelist, but let's call him Luke again for convenience. My opinion is that Luke had access to Mark's Gospel as well as a bunch of other stories that weren't included in Mark. I don't think that this is the so-called Q in that I don't think it was a single coherent document, but rather a collection of oral and written stories that Luke had compiled that were circulating in the early Church.

He wrote, again in my opinion, both the Gospel of Luke as well as Acts both as an attempt to tell a comprehensive history. Mark, as much as I love it, is both poorly written and also really short. It just covers Jesus' public ministry (a span of about 2-3 years) and it ends (originally) with the discovery of the empty tomb. No infancy narrative, no post-resurrection narrative, which is a pretty big exclusion and something Luke wanted to fix.

And this is where I circle back to Luke's point about the materially poor. See, while Luke was keen to write something comprehensive, he also was just as keen to push a particular theological angle regarding the poor. Luke took a bunch of passages and altered them in such a way to really push that angle.

And this is also where the Gospel of Matthew comes in. See, when looking at the Synoptic Problem, a key issue is whether the authors of Matthew and Luke knew of each other's work, and if they knew each other, who wrote first. I think they did know each other, and that Luke wrote first, but it's not a settled academic matter. Also worth mentioning that the more common solution is that Luke revised Matthew, rather than my view, but that's not really relevant for this.

This chain of writing produces situations where two of the three Synoptic Gospels agree with each other against the other. For the passages where Luke and Matthew agree with each other against Mark, it's easy to explain as Luke and Matthew correcting what was accepted within the early Christian community as Mark being wrong, but things get interesting when Mark and Luke agree against Matthew and when Mark and Matthew agree against Luke.

My interpretation of this sees a clear transition of message from the material to the more spiritual from Mark to Luke to Matthew (and then to John, which is the most spiritual by far). Luke took Mark, which shows a very human Jesus, and while making Jesus somewhat more spiritual, really made explicit how material Jesus' ministry and message was.

Matthew, writing later, wanted to write a similarly comprehensive history to Luke but disagreed with Luke's specific emphasis on the materially poor, and so really cleaned up Luke and produced what is the most polished of the Synoptic Gospels and also the least worldly.

Matthew also cleans up a lot of Luke's weird errors. Like, there's a bunch of cases where Luke takes a passage from Mark and inexplicably starts changing small details, something like the number of people who were present, but by the end of the passage, Luke had reverted back to using Mark's numbers likely just because he forgot be made the change and then just reverted back to straight copying.

Worth mentioning that there's a coherent interpretation where Luke edits Matthew and just does it badly, but regardless, the author of that book really does have a point that Matthew marks a definite departure from the very human Jesus off into a less worldly and more spiritual Jesus, one who the actual witnesses to the events would not necessarily have recognized.

And before you say anything, I know this is a thermopolium, I'll have a large #3 with extra garum, and if you could throw in an order of honey cakes, that's be great.

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Brok wok baroque

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Azathoth posted:

Matthew, writing later, wanted to write a similarly comprehensive history to Luke but disagreed with Luke's specific emphasis on the materially poor, and so really cleaned up Luke and produced what is the most polished of the Synoptic Gospels and also the least worldly.

Did this come up in the Schadenfreude thread last year?

I agree with your order, and it’s rare to find anyone putting Luke before Matthew.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Platystemon posted:

I agree with your order, and it’s rare to find anyone putting Luke before Matthew.

because they fear the truth

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Platystemon posted:

Possibly? I feel like I've typed it out before here for some reason, and I do follow that thread. Yeah, I know I'm weird on that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clever Moniker
Oct 29, 2007