Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Ola posted:

Use F# to write the business rules. Tell the business people that they can write their own rules by sending an email to automatedrules@company.com, where an AI will figure it out, test it and deploy it in two business days (no AI on weekends and evenings due to cloud rates). It will work and will only be a small lie.

Tell them it's a neural net rather than an AI.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

ultrafilter posted:

Tell them it's a neural net rather than an AI.

Yeah that will stand better up to scrutiny than Arrogant Intelligence.

1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

I'm sort of conflicted because I like logic programming but I've never seen rules engines get used in an organization because they're all fans of logic programming. Where I've been it's because they wanted a scripting plugin but didn't know about one so it's like "Let's use Drools because it's for business!"

But for situations where it's logic that sort of makes sense in the database but you can't put it in the database because of whatever reason, there's a lot of potential.

Gaukler
Oct 9, 2012

Rules engines and contexts reminded me of a place I used to work. It was a Spring 2 or 3 web app (so no annotations, all xml baby) that had an ominously named class called BusinessController. It was nominally an MVC app but the view did nothing other than return a string for which template to use and the model did all the sql’ing.

Every controller extended BusinessController and also was required to be a bean with a no-args constructor. Want to pass args from one controller to another? Create a new default controller instance of your choice, and then call any setters you need to for parameters and then call a doLifecycle() method that would pass off the controller to a weird rules-engine-like lifecycle manager which would do the single action your controller could do and then return a big bag of poo poo that you probably didn’t need most of (like a context for rendering it to the template when you just wanted to get some rows from a table).

The dude responsible had been there for 17 years and was the only one willing to touch it, but it handled at least a quarter of our business.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

In my experience rules engines are made by people who mistakenly believe that if you have a rules engine then non-programmers can use it

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

when you think about it regex is the ultimate rules engine

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

NtotheTC posted:

when you think about it regex is the ultimate rules engine

all businesses should now implement their entire line of business software in one very long backtracking enabled regular expression

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Biowarfare posted:

all businesses should now implement their entire line of business software in one very long backtracking enabled regular expression

:shuckyes:

1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

Qwertycoatl posted:

In my experience rules engines are made by people who mistakenly believe that if you have a rules engine then non-programmers can use it

I think the problem is that they're sold by people who believe that because most people think that procedural programming is the only sort of programming that exists. No procedures means no programming. If they use objects it's to create an instance that then has the procedures as methods. Functional programming they just don't get why it has the limitations it does. Finally logic programming just doesn't make sense at all to the point that most professional programmers can't effectively use it.

The people who actually make rules engines are people who are way more into logic programming than everyone else and really wish that other people could see the light of how much it simplifies things. I used an event-driven nondeterministic finite state machine called SCXML (at least that's the spec) and it drove me up the wall that everyone was looking at it as this sort of flowchart program when it's the exact opposite. It's actually really meant for handling all the possible complex state changes of a graphical UI or the like and not some stupid flowcharts that they hacked the whole thing into. So much wasted potential.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

I think rule engines exists because they think programmers are just translators from ideas to code.

Where most people don't really have a solid idea of what they want or how it works, or what to do with the edge cases. Where programming required all these things to be answered.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Tei posted:

I think rule engines exists because they think programmers are just translators from ideas to code.

I prefer to think of myself as a rules engineer

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Soricidus posted:

Didn't know you posted here, Mr. Stephen Walkom

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Soricidus posted:

instead you should call yourself a Judge, and walk around with a helmet on saying "I am the laws"

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

quote:

Tui plane in ‘serious incident’ after every ‘Miss’ on board was assigned child’s weight

Service from Birmingham to Majorca took off with less thrust because pilot thought it was 1,200kg lighter

A software mistake caused a Tui flight to take off heavier than expected as female passengers using the title “Miss” were classified as children, an investigation has found.

The departure from Birmingham airport to Majorca with 187 passengers on board was described as a “serious incident” by the Air Accidents Investigation Branch (AAIB).

An update to the airline’s reservation system while its planes were grounded due to the coronavirus pandemic led to 38 passengers on the flight being allocated a child’s “standard weight” of 35kg as opposed to the adult figure of 69kg.

This caused the load sheet – produced for the captain to calculate what inputs are needed for take-off – to state that the Boeing 737 was more than 1,200kg lighter than it actually was.

Investigators described the glitch as “a simple flaw” in an IT system. It was programmed in an unnamed foreign country where the title “Miss” is used for a child and “Ms” for an adult female.

Despite the issue, the thrust used for the departure from Birmingham on 21 July 2020 was only “marginally less” than it should have been, and the “safe operation of the aircraft was not compromised”, the AAIB said.

The same fault caused two other Tui flights to take off from the UK with inaccurate load sheets later that day.

The system was adapted when the problem was first identified 11 days earlier, but this did not correct the weight entries for the 21 July flights.

The operator subsequently introduced manual checks to ensure adult females were referred to as Ms on relevant documentation.

Tui said in a statement: “The health and safety of our customers and crew is always our primary concern. Following this isolated incident, we corrected a fault identified in our IT system. As stated in the report, the safe operation of the flight was not compromised.”

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/apr/09/tui-plane-serious-incident-every-miss-on-board-child-weight-birmingham-majorca

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
pre:
[   ] - Child - 35kg
[   ] - Adult - 69kg
[ X ] - Goon  - 100+kg

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Yeesh. Thankfully little Bobby Tables wasn't on the manifest.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Look, the computer says we need -1000 tons of fuel so drain the loving tanks already!

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I wondered why there was always such peppy takeoffs every time I fly with my German friend Max Int.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
Obviously it's been a while since I last travelled anywhere by air, but I feel like when I did, I had to tell the airline how old I was. Am I imagining that? Surely they know how old their passengers are. Why are they guessing at weight based on whether the person is a "miss" or a "ms"? What weight do they assign for a "mr" (which could be an adult or a child)?

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Hammerite posted:

Obviously it's been a while since I last travelled anywhere by air, but I feel like when I did, I had to tell the airline how old I was. Am I imagining that? Surely they know how old their passengers are. Why are they guessing at weight based on whether the person is a "miss" or a "ms"? What weight do they assign for a "mr" (which could be an adult or a child)?

Well you see it’s rude to ask a lady her age,

Beef
Jul 26, 2004
Let's ask her weight instead.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Hammerite posted:

Yeah, this is what stands out for me. I'm trying to imagine how broken the programming process must be for them if they felt like they could (or had to) infer passenger weight from the honorific field. It's not far-fetched that things could be hosed up to that degree, but the details escape my imagination.

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures
Maybe:

- Booking system has a wide table that includes age

- Ticket printing process uses a view that strips fields like age which aren't printed

- On-day passenger manifest system uses amended data derived from the printing process

Then I could see someone deciding they want to be clever to skip joining the original database (it's a different server, this is much more responsive) or worse the data's already lost the primary key and updating all the processes to carry it through is too much effort.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Probably a program manager somewhere decided that the age column should only be made available to the Marketing group

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

I wrote a ticket system for a airplane company once. This is european/spain rules, so I don't know if apply to other systems.

Fun facts:
- Childrens can fly alone.
- Childrens pay a lower price ticket.
- Chidrens pay 1 ticket, and have a baby on their lap, two for the price of one!. You can send your 9 years old with a newborn to other part of the country really cheap.
- Families get a discount. Natives from the isles get a discount. If the kid and the newborn are family and from a isle, all these discounts stack.

Not so fun facts:
Tickets are not really that expensive. Is all the tax and fares that stack up to a big price.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Did you all get the lecture in programming school about times software errors killed people, like Therac 25 and the patriot missile rounding errors?

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Did you all get the lecture in programming school about times software errors killed people, like Therac 25 and the patriot missile rounding errors?

It was at most one lecture, but yes.

Why do you ask?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

pokeyman posted:

It was at most one lecture, but yes.

Why do you ask?

Got any good stories like that?

Jewel
May 2, 2009

I have one from a friend's real experience -- no injuries but clear potential for some

edit: snipped because I don't feel comfy sharing the chatlogs actually, but essentially a bunch of startup tech people using a huge robot robot arm that could tear off your arm and injured my friend multiple times because of haptics issues from electromagnetic interference interfering with clock syncs

also it had an internal SQL database to control its motorics

Jewel fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Apr 11, 2021

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Just the ones you mentioned :haw:

I'm convinced that daylight saving time changes have casualties (directly attributable, like some car navigation system goes haywire at the clock change and sends someone off a cliff, not some vague "study shows 0.1% increase in injuries on Monday after time change") but I have yet to actually prove it.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

$500 million kaboom after integer overflow.

https://iansommerville.com/software-engineering-book/case-studies/ariane5/

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

And in UI land, a $500 million misclick. https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2021/02/citibank-just-got-a-500-million-lesson-in-the-importance-of-ui-design/

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Or Knight Capital, who lost roughly the same amount in 45 minutes due to lack of deployment automation. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knight_Capital_Group

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Oh I have one with personal experience that I'm actually allowed to talk about

JAXA's X-Ray Satellite "Hitomi" was launched in 2016 and produced data for about 1 month, and apparently its collections were of such high-quality that it was beyond compare. Like really revolutionary, high-value science was already being done with what little had been collected, and it was planned to remain operational for 3 years.

But then a software patch switched the sign in an attitude control calculation, which would cause any future orientation corrections to be made in the wrong direction. Then an inertial reference unit failed, causing it to misreport a big orientation problem.

"Oh this sensor says that the star field isn't oriented exactly how I expected, let me correct that." *check star field again* "Oh the star field is even worse than before, let me correct that." *satellite begins spinning faster and faster, as it continues to make larger and larger corrections but always performs them in the wrong direction*. "WHAT THE gently caress, go to emergency mode and just try to stop spinning" *thrusters fire but make the spin even worse*

*satellite literally explodes*

By the time that anyone noticed that there was a problem contact had already been lost, and later that day the satellite was spinning so fast that it tore itself apart.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hitomi_(satellite)

I didn't have anything to do with any of that poo poo, I just pointed a telescope at the thing after it had already broken into pieces

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Tei posted:

I wrote a ticket system for a airplane company once. This is european/spain rules, so I don't know if apply to other systems.

Fun facts:
- Childrens can fly alone.
- Childrens pay a lower price ticket.
- Chidrens pay 1 ticket, and have a baby on their lap, two for the price of one!. You can send your 9 years old with a newborn to other part of the country really cheap.
- Families get a discount. Natives from the isles get a discount. If the kid and the newborn are family and from a isle, all these discounts stack.

Not so fun facts:
Tickets are not really that expensive. Is all the tax and fares that stack up to a big price.

I heard KLM has this service - or at least had it, where you could pay extra for a KLM buddy to be with the kid for the entire trip so they don't have to navigate check-in, customs, the way to the gates and whatnot, all by themselves.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

QuarkJets posted:

Oh I have one with personal experience that I'm actually allowed to talk about

JAXA's X-Ray Satellite "Hitomi" was launched in 2016 and produced data for about 1 month, and apparently its collections were of such high-quality that it was beyond compare. Like really revolutionary, high-value science was already being done with what little had been collected, and it was planned to remain operational for 3 years.

But then a software patch switched the sign in an attitude control calculation, which would cause any future orientation corrections to be made in the wrong direction. Then an inertial reference unit failed, causing it to misreport a big orientation problem.

"Oh this sensor says that the star field isn't oriented exactly how I expected, let me correct that." *check star field again* "Oh the star field is even worse than before, let me correct that." *satellite begins spinning faster and faster, as it continues to make larger and larger corrections but always performs them in the wrong direction*. "WHAT THE gently caress, go to emergency mode and just try to stop spinning" *thrusters fire but make the spin even worse*

*satellite literally explodes*

By the time that anyone noticed that there was a problem contact had already been lost, and later that day the satellite was spinning so fast that it tore itself apart.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hitomi_(satellite)

I didn't have anything to do with any of that poo poo, I just pointed a telescope at the thing after it had already broken into pieces

QuarkJets looking through the telescope: "yep it's hosed"

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

If you want to talk about programming ethics I had to work on NBA Ballers 3: Chosen One

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.

more falafel please posted:

If you want to talk about programming ethics I had to work on NBA Ballers 3: Chosen One
Was this part of some form of mandatory community service?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

QuarkJets looking through the telescope: "yep it's hosed"

Pretty much, like "uh yeah I see the bus, but where are its solar panels? Oh they're over there"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Carbon dioxide posted:

I heard KLM has this service - or at least had it, where you could pay extra for a KLM buddy to be with the kid for the entire trip so they don't have to navigate check-in, customs, the way to the gates and whatnot, all by themselves.

This is standard in the US, and for unaccompanied kids under 16, you don't get to opt out of paying for it.