Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Weedle posted:

i saw this really hot babe at a neutral milk hotel show in 2014 but i was too nervous to talk to her. later i matched with her on tinder and much later we got married

hahah I love this

went to a 2014 show and it really was amazing. we never got solo shows over here so it was the best I could hope for. the album will never mean as much to be as it did when I was 17 but they were really great and the crowd were so into it that in the end it was a really powerful experience

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Checked out the beta test for Knockout City and it's actually really fun. There's a lot more ways to throw the ball than I was actually expecting, including a fakeout to get around opponents catching, and curve and lob shots. Once you start to get team passing going on (it encourages passing by charging up the ball) it gets away from the pure chaos of people just slamming into each other and becomes a real game. The whole angle of becoming the ball is also really cool.

So far it looks like there's only four specialty balls in the game, but I really like the variation they bring to the matches.

Going to be a fun free to play, hopefully.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
I think the last gig I've been to was to see Eels in like 2003 or something lmao

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
The great thing about Subnautica is that base building is truly, completely optional so it's there if you want to build extremely wacky huge underwater houses, but if you don't then you literally only have to ever build like 6 total things in the entire game

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Consider yourself lucky

way too many posts praising NMH and too many calling Abzu boring when I can’t think of a more boring band!!

Also idk how you could dislike the music in Abzu while saying journey’s is better, they’re both by Austin Wintory and both really good.

https://youtu.be/FiAteY_orJs

https://youtu.be/_eMhM0DIJi8

If Abzu had the mechanic that Journey has, would it be as good? Also the whole Neutral Milk Hotel comparison isn’t even accurate, Thatgamecompany and Jenova Chen released Sky for iOS and they’re also releasing it for the Switch https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sky_(video_game)

imhotep fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Apr 3, 2021

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Abzû and NMH are both good imo.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Nonster Munter Hero

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Weedle posted:

i saw this really hot babe at a neutral milk hotel show in 2014 but i was too nervous to talk to her. later i matched with her on tinder and much later we got married

blessed

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Weedle posted:

is there anything in 13 sentinels a little kid shouldn’t see? i mean violent/scary stuff, i don’t care if there’s a butt somewhere or whatever

Not that I can remember, I think there might be one bit where someone gets shot with little to no blood but that's it at most.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Abzû is a great chillout game with a wonderful Austin Wintory score.

Journey is a stunningly beautiful game about wordless connection with others with a gorgeous Austin Wintory score.

Totally unbiased opinion.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Journey totally hooked me but I felt super whatever the whole time playing Abzu. It's not bad but it didn't really stick with me for whatever reason.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Simone Magus posted:

The great thing about Subnautica is that base building is truly, completely optional so it's there if you want to build extremely wacky huge underwater houses, but if you don't then you literally only have to ever build like 6 total things in the entire game

Building an expansive base is optional, but I think there are some upgrades you'll need a Moon Pool for, and as a practical matter you'll want the storage and power you get from a base, otherwise you'll be trying to run everything out of floating storage lockers and the limited power the emergency pod's fabricator has and unable to improve your fins and O2 tanks, or waiting until you get the cyclops and using its power, which has its own issues.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I think the main thing is that there's a huge range options for how much you want to engage with the base building. You can make multiple massive expansive bases for their own sake if that's your thing. You can survive out of floating lockers and the bare minimum of structures if you really want to. Or you can find the middle ground that most suits your needs and make anything that seems useful.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
Yeah I only ever really needed one room with like 3 lockers in it, which takes like 2 literal minutes to build

You don't really need storage unless you're kind of a hoarder

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
I’ve been trying to play Subnautica here and there but every time I see a fish or a sea creature that’s as big as or larger than me, I go the other way, then i swim like 50 yards in the opposite direction and have to go down and it’s like pitch black, or something else that’s also potentially scary and so i can’t really go that far without getting spooked by something.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
I usually turn my Cyclops into a floating base and start storing all my stuff in there. Non-movable bases are only for manufacturing.

Imhotep posted:

I’ve been trying to play Subnautica here and there but every time I see a fish or a sea creature that’s as big as or larger than me, I go the other way, then i swim like 50 yards in the opposite direction and have to go down and it’s like pitch black, or something else that’s also potentially scary and so i can’t really go that far without getting spooked by something.
Same. Honestly, that game gives me crazy anxiety, but it's still just so good.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I have no fear of denizens of the deep

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Imhotep posted:

Yea, that's subnautica. Going into a cave to explore and discovering some giant thing that scared the hell out of you.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Ooh yeah all the posts about it make it sound super interesting until I remembered I am scared of the ocean

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The ocean is cool because it's scary

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

As a total horror burnout I wish I could steal the sense of dread some of you guys get from games. I don't mean that in a way that I'm cool or brave or anything, I have just consumed so much horror poo poo I feel like I am immune and I miss games being able to scare the crap out of me.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Okay the pirate ship escape in Uncharted 3 is extremely good, possibly the best setpiece in the series (so far?!)?

In some ways it feels like they wanted to make up for the first ten minutes of the first game, where you have a very mediocre pirate gunfight before the plot begins, like the devs wanted to show you how far they've come. I think it especially stands out because it's the first extremely hard detour from the plot. In the first two games and up until now in this one you were always after a clue or rescuing someone or foiling the antagonist in some way, but this entire sequence is entirely separate from everything else, it purely exists to go 'hey what if Drake had to kill his way out of a pirate stronghold' and then when you're done the plot restarts again. It's pure fan service and its great.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Uncharted 3 was basically a bunch of really cool setpieces that they then connected with a plot. Not a bad plot, mind, but it never rises to the level of UC2. It was also done by the "b-team" while the "a-team" was working on the The Last of Us. Still, a hell of a game.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The Uncharted 3 plot got further hosed up because Cutter's actor had to drop out to be in one of the Hobbit movies, so the original plan probably made more sense

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

finished 13 sentinels(i bought it immediately before it went on sale, of course) and was struck by 2 thoughts the entire time i was playing

1) this game is absurdly good
2) wow nobody is gonna play this

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

13 Percentinels

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123

Yinlock posted:

finished 13 sentinels(i bought it immediately before it went on sale, of course) and was struck by 2 thoughts the entire time i was playing

1) this game is absurdly good
2) wow nobody is gonna play this

The art style is pretty unique and really good looking

I got past the early prologue stuff and it seemed like a fairly predictable sci-fi slightly Evangelion-feeling story but then it throws a bunch of twists in there and it's become quite intriguing, i'm still working my way through all the stories.

The battles are kind of fun albeit a little easy seeming at least on normal difficulty.

Probably too much dialogue for most COD playing chuds to follow though.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

haveblue posted:

The Uncharted 3 plot got further hosed up because Cutter's actor had to drop out to be in one of the Hobbit movies, so the original plan probably made more sense

Yeah he's Dwalin in all three, and unless I'm mistaken, after he told he'd gotten the part, everyone in the UC3 production were like, "holy poo poo, better get your rear end to New Zealand, dude" and quickly rewrote the plot to address the change. Still, I like how it blends into UC4 despite being a "lesser" sequel.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

infraboy posted:

Could also be they don’t want to end up on a list by playing it

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!
Speaking of 13 Sentinals, I tried Yakisoba Pan for the first time today. It was..ok. I guess I can see getting it as a late night snack after a couple drinks.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

infraboy posted:

The art style is pretty unique and really good looking

I got past the early prologue stuff and it seemed like a fairly predictable sci-fi slightly Evangelion-feeling story but then it throws a bunch of twists in there and it's become quite intriguing, i'm still working my way through all the stories.

The battles are kind of fun albeit a little easy seeming at least on normal difficulty.

I did most of the game on intense and it's never really hard if you know what you're doing(shields, sentry guns, full-upgrade super missiles, guardian avenger, sentry guns, ogata, sentry guns). The last boss-type enemy is a complete turd though because it keeps EMPing away your shields

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

???

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Could also be they don’t want to end up on a list by playing it

?????

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

BisterdDave posted:

Speaking of 13 Sentinals, I tried Yakisoba Pan for the first time today. It was..ok. I guess I can see getting it as a late night snack after a couple drinks.

that's the joke. hijiyama's losing his mind over what's basically a gas station hotdog

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

Oxxidation posted:

that's the joke. hijiyama's losing his mind over what's basically a gas station hotdog

Completely flew over my head. Funny now that I think about it.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
The ladies liking the filled crepes is one thing, the Yakisoba Pan is essentially noodles in a hotdog bun which sounds like it was some kind of post-war staple when they didn't have much to eat.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Miura too which is why their argument over it is so funny

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
My personal favourite type of filled crepe is cheese and ham. It melts together in the most delightful way.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

cubicle gangster posted:

Yeah - that was very notable. I had a friend visiting who didn't know them and took him along to the show, he could even tell the atmosphere was special. They had signs up requesting no photos and I didn't see one person take their phone out during the show. Everyone was there for the same reason and it was to soak up the very last time they'd ever get to see it.

The only time I've experienced something similar was digweed at the vagabond - word got out before his show it would be the last one there and the venue was closing down for good within a few days. unbelievable atmosphere - the audience in total sync, nobody was there to gently caress around.

This was my same experience 2014 at Coachella. They even turned the cameras away so the side screens were just showing the sun setting behind the Ferris wheel. Top 3 shows all time for me

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

I don't mind saying it sucks that ps4 controllers are still $60