Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
So many people involved in the production of GoT had good intentions and considerable talent, it really is a crying tragedy that our hosed up world allows privileged talentless shitbags to rise to the top and so carelessly destroy the efforts of other people. GoT is just a very high profile example of a guy totally high on the smell of his own farts surrounding himself with yes-men who celebrate his poor decisions to the detriment of the entire project.

But in a way GoT is also one of the rare occasions where the flop was so massive that people do know who's to blame for it, so I guess that's good, at least Benioff didn't get to make his Star War.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
The shows only mistake was stopping at dual wielding and not continuing with triple quadruple and quintuple wielding.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Dual weilding always looks stupid, because it is stupid. Either give them proper armor and have them two hand their longswords properly, or give them sheilds.

nine-gear crow posted:

I'd add Dany to that mix too. Jon stabs the Night King with Longclaw, but it doesn't work, so he's stuck with a very pissed off Night King on the end of his sword. Dany swoops in on Drogon, sees that basically everything is lost and makes the very ambiguous choice to go "Dracarys!" on both Jon and the Night King in a last ditch effort. Ice and Fire coming together at long last pushes it all over the top and when the flames recede, the Night King shatters and Jon is left standing there completely fine because he's Aegon Targaryen, Sixth of His Name, and fire can't kill a dragon.

And everyone saw Dany try to immolate him, and everyone saw him survive it. A beautifully poisoned happy ending.

This would have been such a better moment god drat

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Elephanthead posted:

The shows only mistake was stopping at dual wielding and not continuing with triple quadruple and quintuple wielding.

One Piece did it

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Game of Thrones is in the new Space Jam so I'm just going to pretend the canonical ending is Lebron defeating the Night King with a Chaos Dunk.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

TV's more of a visual medium than books and they decided they wanted to show the tower of joy so they needed some explanation of how 3 swordsmen almost defeated 7 swordsmen. I don't think 'Arthur Dayne used two swords' is a great explanation but 'They almost won because Arthur Dayne was the greatest swordsman who ever lived' is difficult to convey on TV.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

TOOT BOOT posted:

TV's more of a visual medium than books and they decided they wanted to show the tower of joy so they needed some explanation of how 3 swordsmen almost defeated 7 swordsmen. I don't think 'Arthur Dayne used two swords' is a great explanation but 'They almost won because Arthur Dayne was the greatest swordsman who ever lived' is difficult to convey on TV.

GOT had an infinite budget so with any other show I'd wave it away and say "ok they probably couldn't do the following suggestion" but there's a fairly easy way of conveying Arthur Dayne as a great swordsman without him just twirling two swords like a cosplaying dumbass, and most good shows/ movies do this with a big bad guy in that you have that flashback show Ned and his crew, especially Ned though, actually fighting in the battle prior to going to the tower, just overall being amazing fighters so you get some idea of how awesome Ned and his mates were in that sense THEN they run into Dayne who just owns the poo poo out of them in a 6 on 1 battle or whatever it was with his single sword. As it stands Dayne just kills 5 nameless dudes that for all the viewers know were the worst swordsman in Westeros.

Or you know I appreciate the show might not have the time for that so if you want to make Danye more of a legend, just dont have Ned stand toe to toe with him, have him easily kill the others and basically toy with Ned, cut him to ribbons, have him exhausted nearly passing out from blood loss with Dayne ordering him to surrender but Ned being Ned he wont, and if you really want a nice twist then when Dayne knocks away his sword and perhaps tries to take Ned alive, have the honourable Ned Stark pull out a dagger and shank him, that would add a nice dark past to Ned's character (and show how desperate he was to reach his sister) rather than have Reed, a character NO ONE who watched the show cared about, come out of nowhere.

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Zaphod42 posted:

One Piece did it

what's a swordsman's mouth good for if not as another place to hold swords?

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

You guys are doing a lot of knocking on the Tower of Joy fight and regarding Arthur Dayne dual wielding, but at the time? On the evening of the day it aired? That poo poo was loving dope as hell.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
Yeah of all the things to complain about that scene is not even close to the top of the pile

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

Collapsing Farts posted:

Yeah of all the things to complain about that scene is not even close to the top of the pile

Yeeeah but all the other stuff has been nitpicked over and complained about to death, we have to go deeper.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
Actually having Ned shank him would have been a good foil to watching it happen to Jory...

Just Chamber is now a writer on Game of Thrones

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

Ned wasn't even considered a great sword fighter. A great general yeah, a great man sure. But as a swordsman he was supposed to be middling. Robert with his hammer, Jaime or Arthur Dayne he wouldn't approach in actual skill.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Don't forget greatest swordsman of the land Barristan Selmy who in the books has a lot to do but in the show he gets flanked by some dudes with daggers and welp sorry old man :rip:

Which may have been because D&D really don't like the actor because he isn't a yes-man.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Apr 3, 2021

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

Zaphod42 posted:

Don't forget greatest swordsman of the land Barristan Selmy who in the books has a lot to do but in the show he gets flanked by some dudes with daggers and welp sorry old man :rip:

Oh gently caress. Oh gently caress how did I forget Selmy. In the books he's just so much better.

One of my favorites. But...they massacred my boy :(

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

I could almost give D&D credit if the whole point was "even important characters are vulnerable to being stabbed in the back at any time" except you have moments like Arya getting shanked 10 times in the stomach and she's just... she's fine.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

Captain Splendid posted:

Actually having Ned shank him would have been a good foil to watching it happen to Jory...

Just Chamber is now a writer on Game of Thrones

Hah! It was I, David Benioff, all along! You do love my writing after all.

An insane mind posted:

Ned wasn't even considered a great sword fighter. A great general yeah, a great man sure. But as a swordsman he was supposed to be middling. Robert with his hammer, Jaime or Arthur Dayne he wouldn't approach in actual skill.

I mean yes you're right he wouldn't appear in "The Top Ten Fighters of Westeros ( YOU WOULDNT BELIEVE WHO'S AT NUMBER ONE!)" but he's certainly one of the more skilled swordsman in the kingdom, perhaps not so much in the book but at least the show tries to show this by having him actually make Jaime really try during their fight (until a guard stabs Ned in the leg). But if Ned is supposed to just be "ok" and Dayne perhaps the best swordsman ever, Dayne in the one on one should have just completely toyed with him rather than have Ned hold his own pretty well (until he doesnt) purely to sell Dayne really. I get Dayne took on a bunch of guys at once but it was silly twirly dual swords (and one thing I've liked about the show is the more realistic sword fights and combat) and also he killed 4 or 5 just faceless no skilled goons, at least to the viewers. Basically he's supposed to be better or on par with Barristen and we can surmise a young Barristen would easily take out a mediocre fighter like Ned. I mean even Bran in that flashback is like "woah he's better than my father" like his father is supposed to be some amazing fighter, because the writers had such little conviction in their writing or the scene they had to tell the audience "yo this guys's good".

Just Chamber fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Apr 3, 2021

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

Also pour one out for Selmy, like I like the idea of him being a legend in his day, and then you know the mind is willing but the flesh is weak blah blah he's so old he cant move like he used to and so that costs him in a duel or something, but the way he went out, ugh, just awful.

Just Chamber fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Apr 3, 2021

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
the Hound tells Arya "don't be like me" probably months after Arya has killed, cooked, and served two men to their own father

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

PittTheElder posted:

Dual weilding always looks stupid, because it is stupid. Either give them proper armor and have them two hand their longswords properly, or give them sheilds.

Reminder that Spartacus was airing at the same time and just putting on an absolute clinic on fight scene choreography and cinematography. Not to mention hitting their loving story beats and delivering on a bittersweet ending.

Orange Devil fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Apr 3, 2021

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

Just Chamber posted:

Hah! It was I, David Benioff, all along! You do love my writing after all.

Is that a JoJo reference?

Just Chamber posted:

I mean yes you're right he wouldn't appear in "The Top Ten Fighters of Westeros ( YOU WOULDNT BELIEVE WHO'S AT NUMBER ONE!)" but he's certainty one of the more skilled swordsman in the kingdom, perhaps not so much in the book but at least the show tries to show this by having him actually make Jaime really try during their fight (until a guard stabs Ned in the leg). But if Ned is supposed to just be "ok" and Dayne perhaps the best swordsman ever, Dayne in the one on one should have just completely toyed with him rather than have Ned hold his own pretty well (until he doesnt) purely to sell Dayne really. I get Dayne took on a bunch of guys at once but it was silly twirly dual swords (and one thing I've liked about the show is the more realistic sword fights and combat) and also he killed 4 or 5 just faceless no skilled goons, at least to the viewers. Basically he's supposed to be better or on par with Barristen and we can surmise a young Barristen would easily take out a mediocre fighter like Ned. I mean even Bran in that flashback is like "woah he's better than my father" like his father is supposed to be some amazing fighter, because the writers had such little conviction in their writing or the scene they had to tell the audience "yo this guys good".

Oh yeah I know what they did in the show. I was more agreeing with you that I would have liked the fight to just have been stacked against Ned so badly that we see him more readily do something against his own idea of honour...like, Dayne is just mowing through Ned's men and Ned shanks him from behind during the melee or something. Sorry if it came off as flippant :)

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

Pattonesque posted:

the Hound tells Arya "don't be like me" probably months after Arya has killed, cooked, and served two men to their own father

They travel across half a continent together then at the very last door he decides to say "You're not coming"

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

An insane mind posted:

Is that a JoJo reference?

Oh yeah I know what they did in the show. I was more agreeing with you that I would have liked the fight to just have been stacked against Ned so badly that we see him more readily do something against his own idea of honour...like, Dayne is just mowing through Ned's men and Ned shanks him from behind during the melee or something. Sorry if it came off as flippant :)

Oooh, well then my bad, sorry, I'm so used to people disagreeing on the internet or getting defensive over their fandom that's how I read it. It's all good :respek:.

Also no not a JoJo reference. I do want to watch JoJo, one day...

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Pattonesque posted:

Also Arya and the Hound spend presumably weeks marching along a road in silence, only for them to arrive and the Hound to say "actually, turn back"

Captain Splendid posted:

They travel across half a continent together then at the very last door he decides to say "You're not coming"

EFB

Like surely after a few miles he'd be like "we need to talk"

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

Zaphod42 posted:

Also Arya and the Hound spend presumably weeks marching along a road in silence, only for them to arrive and the Hound to say "actually, turn back"

EFB

Like surely after a few miles he'd be like "we need to talk"

People only talk when we can see them. It's how DnDs universe works.

AJA
Mar 28, 2015

An insane mind posted:

People only talk when we can see them. It's how DnDs universe works.

Also, people only need horses when we see them, otherwise they just teleport.

Also also, Dany just kinda forgets about the Iron Fleet unless they're immediately shooting one of her dragons out from under her :allears:

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019

Pattonesque posted:

The worst bit here is that Arya listens to him.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Jon got to gently caress off beyond the wall which he's probably okay with. Sansa got to be a queen. Tyrion got to be hand of the king. Bran became the three-eyed Raven, helped defeat the Others, and become King. Sam got to be a maester. Brienne got to be a knight. Almost everyone ended up exactly where they wanted to be but Dany which seems kinda lovely.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

An insane mind posted:

IDK, in the books Ned's dad (Rickard?) is supposed to be one of the best fighters in Westeros during his prime and presumably his kids would end up above average fighters as well. My interpretation is that Dayne murders all the mooks at the Tower of Joy, has Ned at his mercy after disarming him, and is about to explain "hey dummy we're not actually hurting your sister she's our queen and she's carrying the true heir to the crown" when Howland Reed overreacts and backstabs Dayne. Ned is probably badly outmatched by Dayne, but he also fights in the van in the Siege of Pyke and that's another battle where a lot of people give him credit for being someone that you generally don't want to gently caress with 1 on 1.

They kind of get there with his fight against Jaime in S1, where Jaime is obviously playing around until Ned almost takes his head off and even when Jaime starts to actually try he can't just overwhelm Ned, it's an actual fight.

nine-gear crow posted:

I'd add Dany to that mix too. Jon stabs the Night King with Longclaw, but it doesn't work, so he's stuck with a very pissed off Night King on the end of his sword. Dany swoops in on Drogon, sees that basically everything is lost and makes the very ambiguous choice to go "Dracarys!" on both Jon and the Night King in a last ditch effort. Ice and Fire coming together at long last pushes it all over the top and when the flames recede, the Night King shatters and Jon is left standing there completely fine because he's Aegon Targaryen, Sixth of His Name, and fire can't kill a dragon.

And everyone saw Dany try to immolate him, and everyone saw him survive it. A beautifully poisoned happy ending.

It's hosed up that you wrote this because now I want it.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Mat Cauthon posted:

It's hosed up that you wrote this because now I want it.

Like I said, everyone on the planet has written a better Season 8 of Game of Thrones than Dan Weiss and David Benioff actually did.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Yeah I thought Ned was supposed to be a good fighter up against the best when it came to Jaime, as pre-hand loss Briene was the only other person that came somewhat close, and Jaime was famished and tired in that fight.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Collapsing Farts posted:

The death of the Night King should have been a combined effort of the stark kids who were there at the scene.

Arya with the surprise attack to force the Night King to defend himself, which would allow Bran to touch the Night King while he was distracted and put some of that three eyed raven warg magic to use, perhaps to weaken the Night King and disrupt the horde long enough for Jon to finally get his fight with the Night King that we've waited for since Hardhome

nine-gear crow posted:

I like this and it also makes the rest of the season better in a hilarious way if left unaltered. Sansa the Stark that contributed nothing at all in the entire series gets everything she ever wanted.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Plus it gives Dany a better reason to nuts other than "the Northmen like Jon better than me." Now it's literally "everyone saw me set Jon on fire, so they hate me now and think I'm a monster and they all like Jon better. Oh and they think he's the messiah now too. That was MY job! gently caress this bullshit, I'm going to take my anger out on everyone. Dracarys."

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Now that I've seen Dany 'real' ending I think my 'headcanon' is that she decides that Westeros could never truly be her home and fucks off to Essos.

(Obviously she doesn't burn King's Landing either)

TOOT BOOT fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Apr 4, 2021

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

The "Real" ending will involve Fagon taking over King's Landing from Cersei and being hailed as the new rightful good King, and everybody telling Daenerys to gently caress off right as she finally gets to her home, and she loses her poo poo.

But GRRM is never going to finish it anyways.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
I prefer to remember Dany the way her story REALLY ended... endlessly making GBS threads herself in a grassy field with no one around for miles.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

Just Chamber posted:

Also pour one out for Selmy, like I like the idea of him being a legend in his day, and then you know the mind is willing but the flesh is weak blah blah he's so old he cant move like he used to and so that costs him in a duel or something, but the way he went out, ugh, just awful.

Imagine Selmy at the Dragonpit meeting confronting Cersei.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Captain Splendid posted:

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

I legit want to see the table read of the episode Selmy dies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

banned from Starbucks posted:

I legit want to see the table read of the episode Selmy dies.

He'd already read the books, got really excited at all the cool Selmy stuff (which imo was some of the best stuff in aDwD) and when his scripts for the season were so short he wrote Beinioff and Weiss an impassionaed letter arguing why they should keep him around.

Their response was to mock him (not by name, but its pretty clearly him) at the Oxford Union and say it made them want to kill him even more.