Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Sounds like some Pete Buttigieg stuff

He was CIA.

Edit: god I miss new movies. I wanted to see KvG this weekend but I can't and I can't next weekend or the next weekend. Idk when I will get to see it now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Mr Hootington posted:

He was CIA.

Edit: god I miss new movies. I wanted to see KvG this weekend but I can't and I can't next weekend or the next weekend. Idk when I will get to see it now.

Post your phone number here and I'll call you and describe the film to you, in detail. With as much flourish as I can.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

A vast majority of conspiracy theories are far right entryism or deeply racist (usually both) and their constant promotion as just a "fun neutral kooky thing" in pop culture is extremely dangerous. Alex Jones exemplifies the average peddler of conspiracies far better than Fox Mulder.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

This isn't to say that government coverups, assassinations, harmful chemicals distributed through everyday items or manufactured consent don't exist. There is plenty of historical precedent there. But there is a big difference between following the evidence of such to expose the truth and "just asking questions" about 5G towers.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

That would explain the shocked and horrified reactions when they re-invented J. Jonah Jameson as an Alex Jones type, literally in the Spider-Man game and most recent movie, as a fun, kooky character.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Arist posted:

Like the twist on the Avengers theme in that trailer
I like how a few days after this thread has a conversation about how the MCU lacks any strong themes for their heroes that aren't the Avengers theme, the Black Widow trailer just goes "gently caress it, her theme is the Avengers theme except in Russian."

Also, Space Jam trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olXYZOsXw_o
It looks loving wretched. It's Ready Player Basketball.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Shirkelton posted:

That would explain the shocked and horrified reactions when they re-invented J. Jonah Jameson as an Alex Jones type, literally in the Spider-Man game and most recent movie, as a fun, kooky character.

It remains to be seen how far they take movie JJJ, but the set they have him on in the video is pretty much 1:1 Alex Jones.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Aphrodite posted:

It remains to be seen how far they take movie JJJ, but the set they have him on in the video is pretty much 1:1 Alex Jones.

I mean, I very severely doubt they're going to make him into a raving lunatic in that exact regard, but it is bizzare that a character who is clearly very broken and inept and seeking refuge because of the vicious tragedy he's experienced and doesn't express any conspiratorial beliefs that are actually harmful is treated as some kind of Alex Jones clone despite not really resembling him as a damning criticism of a film, but just casually aping Alex Jones entire style as a good is fine, because....?

I don't get it, it's either bad or it isn't, but I don't remember this talk when it was much, much more substantiated, maybe I'm forgetting someone taking a hardline stance?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I haven't seen Godzilla vs Kong yet but they don't sound like the same thing? The GvK thing seems to be a conspiracy theorist being proven correct while the JJJ thing as him showing up to share a false story with as of yet no followup? The criticism didn't seem to be "having a conspiracy theorist as a character is bad" but "having a conspiracy theorist character be proven right is bad."

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

The issue with Jonah was more associating a fictional character people love (in spite of his flaws and him being a villain sometimes) with a real life person who is disgusting. I'm of two minds on it, but it's a very separate conversation.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
The security guy gave me more art bell vibes than Alex jones tbh

A talking coyote
Jan 14, 2020

site posted:

The security guy gave me more art bell vibes than Alex jones tbh

Yeah it seemed more Dale Gribble/ancient aliens variety of conspiracy where the government working with or stealing from ufos is the answer to everything and less turner diary/nazi conspiracy where Jews and brown people are trying to take over the world and make everyone gay or whatever.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

CapnAndy posted:

I like how a few days after this thread has a conversation about how the MCU lacks any strong themes for their heroes that aren't the Avengers theme, the Black Widow trailer just goes "gently caress it, her theme is the Avengers theme except in Russian."

Also, Space Jam trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olXYZOsXw_o
It looks loving wretched. It's Ready Player Basketball.

The speed at which my excitement dropped to 0 when I saw the Iron Giant appear on-screen was enough to cause a flash freeze in my village.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i'm excited for the clockwork orange guys to rape and murder lola. what a fuckin weird thing to put into a kids movie

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Hey Pennywise is there too

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

site posted:

i'm excited for the clockwork orange guys to rape and murder lola. what a fuckin weird thing to put into a kids movie

Pepe? No way. Droogs? Vidy on.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Ah, finally a continuation of his films that Kubrick would approve.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It is amazing how much genuine loathing I felt at the latest swarm of "Boy don't you love this OWNED BY WB IP. Don't you want to CONSUME it." Especially since they just brought back the loving Iron Giant again. because god forbid you not pretend like you're just trying to make your own Ready Player One.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

site posted:

The entire murderers row of WB villains but no pepe is hilarious.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

It really is beyond parody that they cut that scene of LeBron teaching Pepé Le Pew about consent and then gleefully include the loving droogs.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Space Jam is a piece of poo poo and this somehow looks worse.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
The War Boys are there too. Unquestioning service unto death of a fascist is fun for the whole family!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

Space Jam is a piece of poo poo and this somehow looks worse.

Space Jam was dumb but at least it had a vaguely coherent concept. ("Haha, Looney Toons play basketball along famous basketball man.")

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

The inclusion of other IPs works in something like Wreck-It Ralph because they fun background nods to things that related to the subject matter, but they mostly remain where they belong in the background and don’t overshadow the main characters or plot.

The trend of that poo poo being the entire plot is awful and needs to stop.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Sanschel posted:

The inclusion of other IPs works in something like Wreck-It Ralph because they fun background nods to things that related to the subject matter, but they mostly remain where they belong in the background and don’t overshadow the main characters or plot.

Wreck-It Ralph II: Vanellope Goes Turbo sucked for exactly that reason.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Also why are you putting Gandalf on a list of basketball players, LeBron? I don't think Gandalf has any sick moves that he's keeping under his hat. Legolas would be the better choice.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Codependent Poster posted:

Also why are you putting Gandalf on a list of basketball players, LeBron? I don't think Gandalf has any sick moves that he's keeping under his hat. Legolas would be the better choice.

Are you kidding? He's fly, you fool.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I mean obviously they shouldn't have made a sequel to Space Jam in the first place, but once they committed to that this is probably the kind of expansion it needed.

This movie's not for kids, it's for adult men in their 30s who still remember the first one.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

The whole 'convert the Looney Tunes to full 3D CGI' thing is very odd

Like say what you will about the original but I think keeping them looking more like cartoons is the way to go

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Aphrodite posted:

I mean obviously they shouldn't have made a sequel to Space Jam in the first place, but once they committed to that this is probably the kind of expansion it needed.

This movie's not for kids, it's for adult men in their 30s who still remember the first one.

The expansion was hanna-barbara characters lol

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Trailer just cements Jordan as the GOAT even more.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Sanschel posted:

In fairness the trailer basically literally puts all those IPs in the background too. All the main and court stuff seems to be the Looney Tunes.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Aphrodite posted:

Well that's me and I say gently caress this movie.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

The subplot about how the Droogs got front row seats is really going to be a treat for the kids.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

John Wick of Dogs posted:

He does say tap water has fluoride because it pacifies the population. I had to pause the movie and tell my kid that absolutely is made up and fluoride is good for your teeth

You know that Big Bottled Water spreads that rumour to get you to buy their products.

Lurdiak posted:

A vast majority of conspiracy theories are far right entryism or deeply racist (usually both) and their constant promotion as just a "fun neutral kooky thing" in pop culture is extremely dangerous. Alex Jones exemplifies the average peddler of conspiracies far better than Fox Mulder.

Yea, that's exactly what i'm getting at. Some UFO ones are pretty neutral and based on reasonable trust with the goverment, its when you get into the Aryan Space Brother types you can start going 'wait what?'.

STAC Goat posted:

I haven't seen Godzilla vs Kong yet but they don't sound like the same thing? The GvK thing seems to be a conspiracy theorist being proven correct while the JJJ thing as him showing up to share a false story with as of yet no followup? The criticism didn't seem to be "having a conspiracy theorist as a character is bad" but "having a conspiracy theorist character be proven right is bad."

Thing is he's not just a Conspiracy Theorists for Kaiju, saying that Monarch is hiding their true nature or something else that is only specific to the world of the film, but he's got every conspiracy going on, like the fluoride stuff, GMOs and he certainly mentions a bunch of other stuff. As i said, every Qanon and 9/11 truther thinks theyre that guy.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Down-tempo and moody Mortal Kombat theme was cool in a dorky way.

Down-tempo and moody Space Jam just feels wrong.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

BrianWilly posted:

lol @ at the idea that WW hates the justice system so her response is to deploy...excessive, lethal force.

Almost like a...like a...oh dang what am I thinking of?...

...wait yeah almost like
A cop.

I just hope he manages to pepper in Christophe Beck's Wanda motif in effective, sensible ways. It's been way past long overdue for the MCU to take advantage of its own leitmotifs other than the drat Avengers one. Bringing Henry Jackman back from the Cap films to do TFATWS was one of their best choices.

Falcon and the Winter Soldier is good for this. Love it everytime they bring in the grinding theme of Winter Soldier.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

My guess on Space Jam is that everyone involved sat in a big circle and then as they went around the room they named all the characters you'd think would be in the movie like Bugs Bunny or The Animaniacs. And then they started to run out and moved on to characters Yogi Bear and Scooby Doo. And then they really ran out so like one guy was well how about Agent Smith? And then the flood gates opened. First it was Mama Fratelli. Then Baby Jane. One guy thought he was being cute by suggesting the War Boys but someone took him seriously and said "Yeah we can have the Droogs too!" and then it was so far gone that literally anything was on the table. Except for that one skunk.

X-O fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Apr 4, 2021

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Wait so the villain is a sentient blockchain who amassed the world's art, culture and media into an Uber NFT, allowing all properties to cross over with each other? And LeBron must fight against this to prevent his son from being consumed from this/having his legacy and personhood taken from him?

That's cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
No the villain is walter hamada