Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

flatluigi posted:

i agree but apparently people have wanted enemy colored elder dragons for EVER
Huh. I didn't even realize til this post there were, in fact, already a cycle of elder dinosaurs.

And 1 Elder Demon, which is really funny given Belzenlok's whole thing being him talking himself up as the coolest and biggest deal ever.

So I guess now we wait for a wedge of elder dragons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Spiderdrake posted:

Huh. I didn't even realize til this post there were, in fact, already a cycle of elder dinosaurs.

And 1 Elder Demon, which is really funny given Belzenlok's whole thing being him talking himself up as the coolest and biggest deal ever.

Sorry mh2 is full of elder Giants

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

It'd actually be pretty cool if MH sets continued a multiversal elder giant cycle, in the same way it's finishing (I assume) the sword cycle. Like there's elder giants hiding in every plane waiting to escape.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Spiderdrake posted:

wouldn't the wedges be the original elder dragons

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Arivia posted:

wouldn't the wedges be the original elder dragons

No, those were shards. Learn the nonsense!

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

President Ark posted:

goons be like "unless a card is strictly better in every way than a card in a currently-extant modern deck it's trash and worthless. there's no such thing as 'new decks'"

Dumb strawmen aside, that is kinda how it works in the last block before rotation. Especially when the environment already has a crazy, absurdly good cards.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

I do like that it seems like theyre pivoting back to cards that require building around to create win states rather than poo poo like Uro where it just wins the game on its own or cards so universally good like Bonecrusher Giant that both aggro, midrange and control decks run it because its just plain BIS for 3cmc

Of course, none of that matters for another 5 months until rotation, and the Drizzt Do'Urden 2GW legendary could make a fool of this prediction when it drains target opponent for 10 on etb

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Spiderdrake posted:

I guess the Planar Chaos dragons don't count?

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Yawgmoth posted:

I guess the Planar Chaos dragons don't count?
The Invasion / Planar Chaos inversions aren't elderly. I believe they're still considered part of the key demo.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Spiderdrake posted:

It'd actually be pretty cool if MH sets continued a multiversal elder giant cycle, in the same way it's finishing (I assume) the sword cycle. Like there's elder giants hiding in every plane waiting to escape.

Unfortunately the Titans were a direct reference to Greek (and therefore Theros) mythology.
But not the actual titans from Greek lore, because Uro is Typhon who was the child of Gaia and Tartarus, and was defeated by Zeus and trapped under a mountain.
But also

wikipedia posted:

Typhon bears a close resemblance to an older generation of descendants of Gaia, the Giants.[163] They, like their younger brother Typhon after them, challenged Zeus for supremacy of the cosmos,[164] were (in later representations) shown as snake-footed,[165] and end up buried under volcanos.[166]

While distinct in early accounts, in later accounts Typhon was often considered to be one of the Giants.[167] The Roman mythographer Hyginus (64 BC – 17 AD) includes Typhon in his list of Giants,[168] while the Roman poet Horace (65 – 8 BC), mentions Typhon, along with the Giants Mimas, Porphyrion, and Enceladus, as together battling Athena, during the Gigantomachy.[169] The Astronomica, attributed to the 1st-century AD Roman poet and astrologer Marcus Manilius,[170] and the late 4th-century early 5th-century Greek poet Nonnus, also consider Typhon to be one of the Giants.[171]
Hence the elder giant typing.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Is there an actual difference between URG and RUG? Like will one get abilities the wouldn't give the other?

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
In that design will think of them a little differently, yes. A Red card with blue and green added in vs a blue card with red and green added. Wit

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
One is a noise you make when stabbed. The other ties the room together.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Shrecknet posted:

I do like that it seems like theyre pivoting back to cards that require building around to create win states rather than poo poo like Uro where it just wins the game on its own or cards so universally good like Bonecrusher Giant that both aggro, midrange and control decks run it because its just plain BIS for 3cmc

Of course, none of that matters for another 5 months until rotation, and the Drizzt Do'Urden 2GW legendary could make a fool of this prediction when it drains target opponent for 10 on etb

That might be a good challenge for the d&d set. Predict the drizzt do'urden card. He's gonna have double strike for sure.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Drewjitsu posted:

That might be a good challenge for the d&d set. Predict the drizzt do'urden card. He's gonna have double strike for sure.

I'd say Jund or Abzan.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Drewjitsu posted:

hes a dark elf right? so i guess hes black and an elf. this is the extent of my knowledge of him tho

like why does he have double strike, is he super fast or something

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

mandatory lesbian posted:

hes a dark elf right? so i guess hes black and an elf. this is the extent of my knowledge of him tho

like why does he have double strike, is he super fast or something

He dual-wields scimitars

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
One is called like sparkle iirc.

I'm guessing two legendary equipment with an additional set bonus if both are equipped to Drizzd

Baller Ina
Oct 21, 2010

:whattheeucharist:
They are Icingdeath and Twinkle

He also has a panther pet with a gibberish name

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Baller Ina posted:

Googling this

quote:

Guenhwyvar is an astral panther, not native to the Material Plane. She is Drizzt Do'urden's most trusted companion and protector. Guenhwyvar can be called for short periods of time via her figurine.

Ah, forgotten realms.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Spiderdrake posted:

Ah, forgotten realms.
We also get BRUENOR BATTLEHAMMER, a Dwarf with magical pickaxes for hands, Elminster, a beard-and-pipe wizard who sleeps with more things than Zeus, and (Lloth willing) Artemis Entreri, the only assassin who could take Drizzt on face-to-face

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Shrecknet posted:

We also get BRUENOR BATTLEHAMMER, a Dwarf with magical pickaxes for hands, Elminster, a beard-and-pipe wizard who sleeps with more things than Zeus, and (Lloth willing) Artemis Entreri, the only assassin who could take Drizzt on face-to-face

I feel like taking things on face-to-face defeats the purpose of being an assassin.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Shrecknet posted:

We also get BRUENOR BATTLEHAMMER, a Dwarf with magical pickaxes for hands

lol wait when did he get those

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Isn't elminster like an author insert character who resolves plots? Like the literal wizard that did it?

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Baller Ina posted:

Icingdeath is how I want to go out, as a Type I diabetic.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Baller Ina posted:

drowned in buttercream

what a way to go

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

lol wait when did he get those

Whoops mixed up Breunor with the Svirfneblin Drizzt befriended on his way out of the Underdark who gave him Guenhwyvar

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Cactrot posted:

Isn't elminster like an author insert character who resolves plots? Like the literal wizard that did it?

the author insert character is the literal author, who elminster sits down and smokes a pipe with on a regular basis

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
This set looks like a lot of fun to draft

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Jabor posted:

the author insert character is the literal author, who elminster sits down and smokes a pipe with on a regular basis

Yep. That and Mirt the Moneylender.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Devor posted:

Icingdeath is how I want to go out, as a Type I diabetic.
:hfive:

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Shrecknet posted:

Whoops mixed up Breunor with the Svirfneblin Drizzt befriended on his way out of the Underdark who gave him Guenhwyvar

gesundheit

Baller Ina
Oct 21, 2010

:whattheeucharist:
Bruenor adopts two humans and then they marry each other

Btw all my info comes from a boardgame so it's sketchy at best. Spoilers Drizzt was OP as hell in said game

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Baller Ina posted:

Btw all my info comes from a boardgame so it's sketchy at best. Spoilers Drizzt was OP as hell in said game

You should stop buying incest boardgames

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

The Lord of Hats posted:

He dual-wields scimitars

Hmm well that is a very literal interpretation of the keyword haha

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
If Maro’s podcast is to be believed, original Innistrad was only drafted by R&D a total of 8 times during development.

lol

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Shrecknet posted:

Most Honored Burrow Warden Belwar Dissengulp! My brain made to much space for this nonsense when I was 12 and it ain't ever leaving. I'll probably loving ramble in dark elf poo poo when I'm 80.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

whydirt posted:

If Maro’s podcast is to be believed, original Innistrad was only drafted by R&D a total of 8 times during development.

lol

Didn't he say nobody wanted to play with double faced cards? I can't imagine a job where I'm supposed to QA a product and I'm like "nah doesn't look cool" and then my boss will turn around and say how they just don't have enough time to QA things well enough.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

whydirt posted:

lol

this seems off since tbh i thought it was pretty fun to draft. might just be in comparison to the utter crap that was return of avacyn

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Baller Ina posted:

They never married. They were in a relationship for, like, three books.