Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

Ariong posted:

Did anyone here actually do this thing you're cautioning against, or is this just some sort of weird public service announcement?

yea it did seem like it to me, that is why i wrote that. thank you for asking!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

poo poo that's an ancient one. I totally forgot about her.

I mean if they were refreshing the page waiting for the clock to roll over to 12:00AM then yeah that's kind of creepy and pathetic.

I'm just wondering how she was able to get the OnlyFans up and running so fast. Like, it was almost a full day between when I submitted my documentation and when it was approved. And the ability to post any media was blocked until the approval went through.

Okay, I think I see what's up now. According to wikipedia she turned 18 on March 23rd. Her first OnlyFans post is dated April 2nd. So, well over a week after she turned 18. The news stories made it sound like she turned it on the moment the clock struck midnight on her birthday. (Also, holy poo poo, her subscription price is set at $50/mo!) I was worried for a moment that, because she's a celeb and has an insane number of instagram followers, OnlyFans might have worked with her publicists or something to expedite the process. OnlyFans is already in the crosshairs of every fundie and SWERF out there, and they obviously need to tread as carefully as possible.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
One step closer to a Super Robot Wars movie.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

What a weird afterlife Kubrick is having thanks to vertical media consolidation. Just like Iron Giant, his stuff is in the new Space Jam and Ready Player One.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

What a weird afterlife Kubrick is having thanks to vertical media consolidation. Just like Iron Giant, his stuff is in the new Space Jam and Ready Player One.

And devoid of all the meaning and purpose he meticulously, obsessively, abusively crafted it to have.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

nine-gear crow posted:

And devoid of all the meaning and purpose he meticulously, obsessively, abusively crafted it to have.

agreed but the dude was an overated rear end in a top hat who basically broke shelly duvals mental state hard plus other weird poo poo. i am fine with putting loving shining twins and droogs watching the B-ball game with loving scooby doo and Stannis Baratheon in WBs weird mess movie.

PS. the Shinning sucks rear end and the book is better.

edit. also i am cool with it as long as they don't do the Giant dirty. like RP1 did.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Apr 4, 2021

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

i dont care about kubrick one way or another but the line of thought that leads to including a gang of violent rapists as a fun 'i recognize that thing!!!' cameo in a dumb family movie makes me very depressed

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012
A gross system where corporations own what passes for our culture is okay because it hurts the feelings of a dead person.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
its fun to be on the side of Disney vs kubrick because Disney has several advantages that basically make sure you'll win, like being alive and having the cash reserves of small nation, while you also get to pretend that you're on the side of the underdog against snooty film nerds

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once
the complete loss of even the illusion of artistic agency entirely in the pursuit a quick buck is so depressing lol

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

dmboogie posted:

i dont care about kubrick one way or another but the line of thought that leads to including a gang of violent rapists as a fun 'i recognize that thing!!!' cameo in a dumb family movie makes me very depressed

Don't worry, they cut out Pepe Le Pew, so they're even. :shepface:

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Stan Lee Kubrick

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Bar Crow posted:

A gross system where corporations own what passes for our culture is okay because it hurts the feelings of a dead person.

i am not saying its right or good. its loving gross and corperations suck/etc, i just don't care about this case, like yeah of course its a lovely "look a thing" type deal that goes against the artists intentions and poo poo. i am sure we will see geralt of rivia in there too since WB has some publishing rights of Witcher partly. i'll take this dumb messy abortion of ernst cline writing his weird toxic book/movie about nerd masturbation. i mean its more depressing how low the bar is for these kinda dumb horror shows.

dmboogie posted:

oh yeah, its loving weird and dumb. like id except like a white walker or maybe doleres from westworld or some poo poo as a joke but yeah, its loving weird as gently caress. i am more amused by Warboy from fury road.

Pigbuster posted:

don't worry i am sure the droogs brought friends.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Apr 4, 2021

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Dapper_Swindler posted:

agreed but the dude was an overated rear end in a top hat who basically broke shelly duvals mental state hard plus other weird poo poo.

feel I should note that there was an interview with Shelley Duvall a few months ago that outed how a lot of her issues and the story of kubrick being some huge abusive rear end in a top hat on set were wildly, massively exaggerated by noted highly ethical television personality dr phil to drive ratings, and she personally heavily rejects the popular characterization of what actually was going on on that set.

e: like, the whole "kubrick broke Duvall's brain" is a highly annoying take to me because it erases the fact that Duvall went on after the shining to be a very successful TV and film producer for fifteen years and also continued acting until the early 2000s before retiring.

Babysitter Super Sleuth fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Apr 4, 2021

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

feel I should note that there was an interview with Shelley Duvall a few months ago that outed how a lot of her issues and the story of kubrick being some huge abusive rear end in a top hat on set were wildly, massively exaggerated by noted highly ethical television personality dr phil to drive ratings, and she personally heavily rejects the popular characterization of what actually was going on on that set.

thanks, well that makes me feel alot better. i still think the movie is overated as gently caress though and not scary and as much as i love jack and i think he is great in it. he never felt right for it.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Apr 4, 2021

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Dapper_Swindler posted:

thanks, well that makes me feel alot better. i still think the movie is overated as gently caress though and not scary.

The Shining is weird because it’s the movie Kubrick just kinda half-assed, but Kubrick is seen as such a legendary perfectionist that film nerds have created massive conspiracy theories around the hidden meaning of things that are just lazy continuity errors.

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012
The least interesting thing to say about something is that it is “overrated”.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
furry blowjob

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Alaois posted:

Stan Lee Kubrick

“Did you know I created 2001 A Space Odyssey all by myself one day when I was waiting for the train? It was my idea! And Barry Lyndon! One day I thought to myself, ‘what if it was olden-times and a guy wanted to have sex?’ And there’s your movie right there. And The Shining—I thought it up in the shower.”

Queer Salutations
Aug 20, 2009

kind of a shitty wizard...

Ariong posted:

EDIT: Oh, I just realized I have a question that's actually relevant to the thread. I really liked Down the Rabbit Hole and Hbomberguy's And Here's Why series for stuff to have on in the background while I do things. I've gone through them all and am now relistening. (Except the CentOS one, that one was so depressing I turned it off halfway through.) Anyone have a recommendation for another video series that's similar to either of these?

Atrocity Guide makes content like Down the Rabbit Hole but better in my experience. Her latest video is on The Dolphin House and it goes places I wasn't expecting.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Bar Crow posted:

The least interesting thing to say about something is that it is “overrated”.

true, but i just didn't like it and i don't consider it an amazing movie. i do like parts of it and stuff. i like 2001 alot however.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

furry blowjob

The biggest disappointment of that sequel with Ewan McGregor is that he doesn’t show up anywhere.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

The biggest disappointment of that sequel with Ewan McGregor is that he doesn’t show up anywhere.

isnt doctor sleep pretty good?

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

furry blowjob
:hmmyes:

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Dapper_Swindler posted:

isnt doctor sleep pretty good?

I enjoyed it. It’s got all the silly kinds of things you’d expect from Stephen King that he somehow makes not seem completely silly in the moment, like a part where Ewan McGregor makes a giant jewelry box sneak up on someone. And even though they’re not in it very much, the people playing the Shelly Duvall and Scatman Crothers are incredible at it. The ending just lays on the Shining references about 30% too thick.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Queer Salutations posted:

Atrocity Guide makes content like Down the Rabbit Hole but better in my experience. Her latest video is on The Dolphin House and it goes places I wasn't expecting.

Thanks! Also I realize now that I said CentOS when I meant TempleOS. CentOS is a normal operating system that isn't a symptom of a man's self-destructive spiral into insanity.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Pigbuster posted:

this is the weirdest aspect of it frankly. I think they may be assuming most people won't recognize them, and also probably there's so many people working on it shoving in pop culture references they might not all be getting screened with the same level of precision

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

Vinny released a statement. Sounds like he got a lawyer and isn't going to share much else.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/974755692?sr=a

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Wiltsghost posted:

Vinny released a statement. Sounds like he got a lawyer and isn't going to share much else.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/974755692?sr=a

interesting. so maybe there is some truth to all of it.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Dapper_Swindler posted:

I don't think a lawyer really means anything in that context. If it's fake, he'd need a lawyer too. If it was just 'he's loving fans' that'd be one thing but there were allegations of him giving people STDs without telling them he was positive, that's hosed up enough to justify a lawyer if it's a baseless accusation.

The basic vibe I get is 'he did sleep with fans but the 'SHOW ME UR TITS' and 'he gave people STDs' stuff was faked.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Apr 4, 2021

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

IronicDongz posted:

this is the weirdest aspect of it frankly. I think they may be assuming most people won't recognize them, and also probably there's so many people working on it shoving in pop culture references they might not all be getting screened with the same level of precision

Pepe Le Pew's entire thing has always been sexual harassment, so it's not really great optics for a character anymore.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Pepe Le Pew's entire thing has always been sexual harassment, so it's not really great optics for a character anymore.
no, they mean its weird to cut out pepe le pew but include the gang of serial rapists from clockwork orange.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

MonsieurChoc posted:

One step closer to a Super Robot Wars movie.
I'd settle for a super robot wars anime.

you know. a good one.

except for the episode about Daizengar, where it did the fourth wall break bit perfectly :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-FfN65U1OIM&hd=1

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

Ariong posted:

EDIT: Oh, I just realized I have a question that's actually relevant to the thread. I really liked Down the Rabbit Hole and Hbomberguy's And Here's Why series for stuff to have on in the background while I do things. I've gone through them all and am now relistening. (Except the CentOS one, that one was so depressing I turned it off halfway through.) Anyone have a recommendation for another video series that's similar to either of these?

I've been shilling for OKI's weird stories; the dude has gone over some crazy stories like John McAfee (including scoring an interview with him), A weird cult that had a family holed up in a house in France for years, Japanese WWII holdouts and other extended talks.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Endorph posted:

no, they mean its weird to cut out pepe le pew but include the gang of serial rapists from clockwork orange.

Ahh, gotcha :hmmyes:.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

IronicDongz posted:

Given the shot, it looked like a collection of villains from various Warner properties. So they can probably get away with showing the droogs there because it’s just another set of evil faces (like the White Walkers and other things in that shot).

With Pepe Le Pew, he’s supposed to be part of the “good guys”, so you gotta do a lot of work to change things up. Like, wasn’t the scene that was cut with him supposed to be LeBron telling Pepe about consent?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

ready player one was a WB film so they could put RPO in Space Jam 2

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

The 7th Guest posted:

ready player one was a WB film so they could put RPO in Space Jam 2

Suddenly everyone in Hollywood gets a (digitally created) Kevin Bacon number of one, and it's brand synergy all the way down.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

Dapper_Swindler posted:

IIRC the best idea when you are accused of a crime is to get a lawyer, innocent or not.

I dont think there's no crime here but its a good idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

Ariong posted:

For channels similar to Down the Rabbit Hole I've got a few to recommendations to throw in though they tend towards the shorter/shallower end of the spectrum in terms of average video length:
  • ChubbyEmu: Medical case studies that will make you never want to eat gas station food again.
  • Fascinating Horror: Covers various types of disasters, such as historic fires, building collapses, theme park disasters, poisonings, etc. Disasterthon is a smaller channel directly inspired by Fascinating Horror that covers the same subjects.
  • Plainly Difficult: Covers industrial disasters, especially nuclear accidents. Has recently started covering ethically-dubious science experiments too.
  • Today I Found Out: An "interesting facts" channel, tends to highlight less-known historic stories.

Mr.Radar fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Apr 4, 2021