Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

the 4th wave will be the one that finally gets us to herd immunity

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

I wonder if a 3rd and 4th pfizer jab would get me to 98% or so protection? Is it against the law to go back for seconds?

I feel like since the USA will never reach herd immunity it's in my best interest to get a pfizer every month or so, just top off my tank so to speak

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

smoobles posted:

I wonder if a 3rd and 4th pfizer jab would get me to 98% or so protection? Is it against the law to go back for seconds?

I feel like since the USA will never reach herd immunity it's in my best interest to get a pfizer every month or so, just top off my tank so to speak

I feel like at that point you would actually turn in to a lizard person. But thats just based on preliminary youtube research. The guy who mentioned that is a diseaseologist.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

wilderthanmild posted:

I really want to understand just what the hell is happening in michigan. Some other states are creeping back off, but they are so far into a 4th wave so quickly. None of their neighbors are even close to the levels they've reached.

In case anyone hadn't seen the latest graphs:

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

Aegis Bear posted:

Be on the alert if you have neuropathy or mental health issues. It can literally gently caress with your mind. Definitely still get the shot for sure IMO, but maybe have a doctor and a trusted family member keeping an eye on you during recovery.

Relevant Goon Doctor thread.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3962456

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

The weirdest side-effect I got from the first dose of Moderna was fairly extreme sound-sensitivity. Like everything seemed painfully loud, to a degree I have only felt after a serious concussion or a couple of my most spectacular hangovers. Didn't happen with the second dose, thankfully.

I heard from someone else that their sense of taste got weird after their vaccination, which is apparently a side-effect so rare it doesn't show up on warning labels.

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Intellectual
AI Enthusiast

7of7 posted:

I've been wondering about that too. If you look at county level data it's like there's a force field right at the bottom of Michigan. Either that or Ohio is doctoring its numbers. Or maybe Ohio already got hit so badly that it has some measure of immunity. I had thought it was just Detroit having an outbreak but it looks like the whole state now.

Its B.1.1.7 outstripping any R0 mitigations:

With a cumulative prevalence in the last 60 days of 33%

As far as Ohio goes it's probably just lagging behind, as it's daily prevalence in the last 60 is only 10% currently:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Ruh R0

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

I only got the first dose of Moderna a week ago. The only side effect i had, if it could be classified as one, was that i was extremely thirsty.

Also i craved drinking a lot of water :v:

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

DemoneeHo posted:

I only got the first dose of Moderna a week ago. The only side effect i had, if it could be classified as one, was that i was extremely thirsty.

class action lawsuit against onlyfans and moderna when?

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
US hit 4 million doses today for the first time!

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

hakimashou posted:

Smashing it out of the park.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

DemoneeHo posted:

Same. Also for all the dudes I work with (we all got it the same day).

Then spent the next day punching each other in our sore arms.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Blitter posted:

Its B.1.1.7 outstripping any R0 mitigations:

Also the people here decided mitigations were boring and the government was a big meanie so they did a bunch of terrorisms until the governor openederup

I went for a bike ride today and every restaurant parking lot I passed was packed

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Is that a vast oversimplification? Well, I wouldn't say "vast"!

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
we're gonna learn one way or

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I just found out my brother and his wife/kid are going to my parents for Easter dinner and they literally just got back from vacation in Florida for Spring Training. I had to tell my parents a few weeks ago I couldn't make it because neither me nor my partner are fully vaccinated yet so naturally I couldn't but it's nice to see every other person in my family throw caution to the wind and get together anyway. Pretty sure as far as the rest of my family is concerned there was no change in any family gatherings over the course of the last year. I try not to let this poo poo get under my skin but it's real frustrating to say the least when I have to keep telling them we're not coming because we're high risk but they just keep having get-togethers anyway as if nothing's wrong except my absence.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

wilderthanmild posted:

I really want to understand just what the hell is happening in michigan. Some other states are creeping back off, but they are so far into a 4th wave so quickly. None of their neighbors are even close to the levels they've reached.

I heard entirely too many "5g causes the roni" or "fake virus" things the last time I was up there, so I can't say I'm surprised at the numbers.

AnnoyBot
May 28, 2001
Talked to my wife today. Apparently her friend at the same event got infected, but was vaccinated in January as a healthcare worker. Symptoms in the friend were loss of taste/smell and feeling a bit bad. She works for a major medical system and they will be sequencing her samples to determine the variant.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

hakimashou posted:

Congratulations

Meanwhile, Mexico is pretending to vaccinate old people, in order to pump up their numbers I guess (notice how the “nurse” doesn’t pump the syringe).

https://twitter.com/OscarLopezBent1/status/1378481787249254403?s=20

Did they reuse those needles too? How many people received the same treatment?

https://twitter.com/DrEricDing/status/1378528860413820929?s=20

Doctors are protesting because they’re still not vaccinated, and won’t be anytime soon (elections coming up, vaccines going to traditional electoral clientele, old people)

https://www.theguardian.com/global-development/2021/apr/03/a-mexican-tragedy-countrys-crippling-covid-crisis-comes-into-sharp-focus

I can’t explain how angry the Mexican mismanagement of the pandemic makes me, such stupid self-sabotage

I think only Brazil is doing worse, but I don’t speak Portuguese.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

AnnoyBot posted:

Talked to my wife today. Apparently her friend at the same event got infected, but was vaccinated in January as a healthcare worker. Symptoms in the friend were loss of taste/smell and feeling a bit bad. She works for a major medical system and they will be sequencing her samples to determine the variant.

Well, if vaccine effectiveness is 95%, that means one in 20 vaccinated people will get
symptomatic covid anyway*. So it doesn't even need to be a variant.

As for symptoms, lots of pre-vaccine covid cases are also like this, so this example doesn't really show anything one way or the other.

But from the data we have, the vaccine is more effective at preventing severe disease and death. And that's what we really care about after all.

*edit: the 1 in 20 thing is a bit misleading, 95% means there were 95% less infections among vaccinated than unvaccinated people. If we immediately could give everyone a 95% effective vaccine (or even an 80% effective one), hardly anyone would get covid anymore. Certainly not 5%. But right now, there are still plenty of opportunities to catch it from unvaccinated people.

pidan fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Apr 4, 2021

no pubes yet sorry
Sep 11, 2003

Realpost: I got covid, confirmed, about 2-3 months ago. The subsequent couple months have been Extreme Horny, its been nuts. Thankfully unemployed with a wife but wow, it's a real symptom.

Also some weird nasal stuff which I assume is related but don't want to see a doc about because it seems to be waning and don't want to be exposed to super covid if I can avoid it.

I'm planning on getting vaccinated if doc says I should based on prior exposure, obviously won't if told otherwise.

AnnoyBot
May 28, 2001

Less interested in the numbers, which are well known, than the trip report. Vaccine + [b117|P1|SA] is an interesting story to hear because a lot of us are going to be wondering really soon exactly what experience it engenders, even if death is [so far] not an outcome.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

:hmmyes:

I was able to get a GPU after 3 month's wait (bought on launch day, got my RTX 3080 in November), a PS5 on launch (preordered 9 months before launch), Ryzen 5600X after 2,5 months of waiting, I could PROBABLY get a rifle in Finland after a few months' of applying for the license, but I have no idea when I can get a vaccine.

I'm sure Russia would love to administer Sputnik which they will threateningly call "molotov vaccine"

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

smoobles posted:

Lmao ty mods for thread titling me, it is an honor

<= with the assist

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.
Regarding Michigan: I picked up a pizza last night from a place with indoor dining in a very blue county. People picking up pizzas were wearing masks and distancing, talking through a plexiglass barrier. 20 feet to the right the entire bar was packed and every table filled. No masks and no distancing. Probably about 60 people.

On top of that leadership at my office just said "it's time to come back". We're hosed.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
God, that throws up memories of this thing a year ago where Italian doctors were writing open letters to the U.K. with charts and statistics showing us that we were 3 weeks behind them, but still with time to halt the spread, a and begging us not to repeat their mistakes, and our government made posters telling us to wash our hands.

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009

Garfu posted:

Regarding Michigan: I picked up a pizza last night from a place with indoor dining in a very blue county. People picking up pizzas were wearing masks and distancing, talking through a plexiglass barrier. 20 feet to the right the entire bar was packed and every table filled. No masks and no distancing. Probably about 60 people.

On top of that leadership at my office just said "it's time to come back". We're hosed.

Just reply to your leadership with 'thankyou for your confirmation that your insurer has accepted full civil liability for damages resulting from this'.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Baconroll posted:

Just reply to your leadership with 'thankyou for your confirmation that your insurer has accepted full civil liability for damages resulting from this'.

Georgia has signs up at every business that are something like "we aren't responsible for you coming in here during the pandemic and if you die welp that's on you" and it's loving gross.

E: https://smithwelchlaw.com/georgia-covid-liability/ you can see it here. It's on every. single. business front.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

The president of Argentina got Covid, after being vaccinated with Sputnik V, Russia says it’s fine

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

was the president of Argentina hospitalized with severe covid complications or did the vaccine do exactly what its stated to do ?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

the one time Russia will readily admit to plugging someone three times to the back of the head as cause of death

Dick Jones
Jun 20, 2002

Number 2 Guy at OCP

no pubes yet sorry posted:

Realpost: I got covid, confirmed, about 2-3 months ago. The subsequent couple months have been Extreme Horny, its been nuts. Thankfully unemployed with a wife but wow, it's a real symptom.

Also some weird nasal stuff which I assume is related but don't want to see a doc about because it seems to be waning and don't want to be exposed to super covid if I can avoid it.

I'm planning on getting vaccinated if doc says I should based on prior exposure, obviously won't if told otherwise.

I've read the 90 day wait recommendation is for people who got treated with convalescent plasma or monoclonal antibodies. As far as I know, those who recovered without medical intervention and are now symptom-free can get the vaccine.

source here: https://www.abc10.com/article/news/health/coronavirus/vaccine/vaccine-question-how-long-to-wait/103-b22ae306-8acd-4201-8258-695760277473

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Qmass posted:

was the president of Argentina hospitalized with severe covid complications or did the vaccine do exactly what its stated to do ?

Light symptoms so the vaccine did what it was supposed to do.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Congratulations

Meanwhile, Mexico is pretending to vaccinate old people, in order to pump up their numbers I guess (notice how the “nurse” doesn’t pump the syringe).

https://twitter.com/OscarLopezBent1/status/1378481787249254403?s=20

Did they reuse those needles too? How many people received the same treatment?

https://twitter.com/DrEricDing/status/1378528860413820929?s=20

Doctors are protesting because they’re still not vaccinated, and won’t be anytime soon (elections coming up, vaccines going to traditional electoral clientele, old people)

https://www.theguardian.com/global-development/2021/apr/03/a-mexican-tragedy-countrys-crippling-covid-crisis-comes-into-sharp-focus

I can’t explain how angry the Mexican mismanagement of the pandemic makes me, such stupid self-sabotage

I think only Brazil is doing worse, but I don’t speak Portuguese.

About the fake vaccination thing (something similar happened last month in another Latin American country, forgot where), we -a big chunk of citizens- are suspecting some nurses are stealing the vaccines (some people claim that they haven't seen where are the used syringes being disposed), either to vaccinate their relatives or for selling. NOT so far fetched considering it's well known that health personal has stolen medicines in the past. Other theory is that some zones are trying to inflate their vaccination numbers, either to look good for the public or because there's a lack of vaccines. In my state vaccinations had to be stopped several times while authorities waited for new batches. So I wouldn't be surprised if some idiot wants to keep a pristine future political career pretending they did well doing the pandemic.

Oh by the way. Some parents (rich ones from private schools) are pressuring the goverment to make sure kids return to classes as soon as possible. AMLO has decided vaccinating the teachers is wonderful idea. Which is a wrong. For example I live with my sisters who are both teachers. Theoretically we would get all vaccinated at the same time as we are all in our 40's. If they don't follow the original vaccination plans and they get vaccinated first and sent right away to start classes I am hosed. Mom's vaccinated, they are vaccinated, I am not. The children that are going to school aren't. Same with their parents. If a kid gets sick there's a danger that one of my sisters can still get it, and bring it home and just send me to an early grave because my body is trash. It's loving infuriating me. Schools should open after a large population is vaccinated. If they open too early is gonna be a disaster, it doesn't matter if ALL the teachers are vaccinated. :sigh:

gently caress THIS.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Thanks to whoever posted that Vaccinespotter.org link! Wisconsin opens up tomorrow to 16+ and I was able to find and schedule my first and second Pfizer shots starting tomorrow morning.

I gotta drive 1.5 hrs to get there, but it's scheduled! And it's nice outside now, so it'll be a nice relaxing drive anyhows with the windows down.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I really wish that after my second dose I didn’t have to wear a mask anymore. I’m pretty over it.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

smoobles posted:

If you do decide to do this, please wait until at least July or so when we are no longer supply-constrained. As of now something like 3x the people want to get the vaccine as have been given a single shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

MarcusSA posted:

I really wish that after my second dose I didn’t have to wear a mask anymore. I’m pretty over it.

By the end of my work week the area behind my ears is driving me bonkers from wearing one for 60+ hours.