Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Is there anything sweeter than successfully mind gaming a rival manager into bottling the title decider and then having his star player say it would be a dream to play for you in the post match. loving rattled m8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
poo poo talking is fun but does "mind gaming" actually do anything?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
So close to the first ragequit of this career.

Took a penalty to actually score (luckily yipper doesn't ever miss pens) then they score with ease on their first attack.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

edit: It hasn't gone well for those 30 brave souls. And me, I suppose. Undefeated in 30 games at home before this.

Still 6 points clear at the top with 5 games to go to retain my title. But it was 15 points.

sassassin fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Mar 27, 2021

Lemon
May 22, 2003

I feel like I wouldn't show as much faith in him as his current manager does

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?

Lemon posted:

I feel like I wouldn't show as much faith in him as his current manager does

Zlatan is absolutely a player who can benefit the team massively without putting the ball in the back of the net himself.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Even his confidence must be in tatters by this point.

I won the Norwegian treble with Sogndal (league, cup, and awkward preseason charity shield match) which is probably as good as it will ever get there. Half my squad are wanted men and we can't compete on wages with proper football countries (and China). Now I've been offered the Rennes job. Their expectations are modest and they're going to quadruple my wages. I've never been to Brittany but it looks nice in pictures.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?

sassassin posted:

Even his confidence must be in tatters by this point.

I won the Norwegian treble with Sogndal (league, cup, and awkward preseason charity shield match) which is probably as good as it will ever get there. Half my squad are wanted men and we can't compete on wages with proper football countries (and China). Now I've been offered the Rennes job. Their expectations are modest and they're going to quadruple my wages. I've never been to Brittany but it looks nice in pictures.

If you want to develop the kids, then Brest is best.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

sassassin posted:

I've never been to Brittany but it looks nice in pictures.

It is rainy with beautiful scenery. Sadly it is also full of French people. :france:

Masonity posted:

If you want to develop the kids, then Brest is best.

:downsrim:

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Officiating is definitely on the up-and-up yessir, nothing to see here

e: it only shows a referee's last ten matches, but in this "Mark Feeney"'s case the home side has taken 26 of 30 available points from them

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Mar 31, 2021

yugioh mishima
Oct 22, 2020

imagine being the psg manager, lol

edit: also a very Nice goal difference there

Gammymajams
Jan 30, 2016

yugioh mishima posted:

imagine being the psg manager, lol

edit: also a very Nice goal difference there

Are you using a mod that changes the names of competitions? What's it called?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Ligue 1 Uber Eats is licensed this year.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

sassassin posted:

Ligue 1 Uber Eats is licensed this year.

What an embarrassing name for a major top-flight league.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

sebzilla posted:

What an embarrassing name for a major top-flight league.

Kind of embarrassing even for Ligue 1 tbh

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Hulk Hogan and the Wrestling Boot Band

Gammymajams posted:

Are you using a mod that changes the names of competitions? What's it called?

Use this: https://sortitoutsi.net/content/56768/fm2021-licensing-and-real-name-fix-file-v01-beta-for-fm21-beta-not-released-yet if you want all the leagues to have their sponsorship names, UEFA Champions league, etc.

MagicCube
May 25, 2004

Trying the Vaduz challenge this year and with the addition of the Conference League it's gotten even harder to win the CL as you now have an extra step and need the win the Conference League and then win the Europa League to get in to the CL. And then if you don't win the CL you're right back to square one and a new three year journey.

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

https://twitter.com/nocontextfm1/status/1378391848960602118/photo/1

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

If I'm running a megabastard I actually kinda like including percentage-of-profit fees when I buy youngsters from Nowhereville barely professional teams for €700K, so when I sell them a few years later for €25M Nowhereville FC gets like 15 years' turnover dropped in their laps. Not like I'm ever going to use the €700M transfer budget I'm already sitting on anyway.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
I've always hesitated to ask this in Football Manager/Out of the Park Baseball discussions because I'm going to get laughed out of the thread, but bugger it: Is there any way to play FM with actual financial parity? The economic imbalance in football is even more laughable than in MLB, but I'm one of those assholes who believes in material equality.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

JustJeff88 posted:

I've always hesitated to ask this in Football Manager/Out of the Park Baseball discussions because I'm going to get laughed out of the thread, but bugger it: Is there any way to play FM with actual financial parity? The economic imbalance in football is even more laughable than in MLB, but I'm one of those assholes who believes in material equality.

You could play in the communist MLS I guess? Don't they still swap players for drafty pick up things?

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
I've tried MLS saves before but I'm too stupid to understand the rules and end up loving myself because i don't have enough generation Adidas double secret black diamond clearance players under 23 in my starting squad

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
The game would be even easier than it already is without finances as a difficulty measure. Parity of resources swings things massively in the player's favour.

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

the sex ghost posted:

I've tried MLS saves before but I'm too stupid to understand the rules and end up loving myself because i don't have enough generation Adidas double secret black diamond clearance players under 23 in my starting squad

MLS isn't really that complicated. The draft is garbage, your Academy produces crap. You sign players from around the world that got overlooked because you can't afford transfer fees. You get 2 "too old for first team soccer" slots that you use usually for a striker and a goalkeeper or midfielder and then fill your roster out with garbage. Since CONCACAF is relatively unimportant and usually won by a Mexican team anyway, you don't need a lot of depth, just injury fill-ins so you can keep a very lean roster. Unless the scheduler glitches you don't end up with too many weeks with two games. The real challenge is the parity in which you have to turn your roster over rather frequently and teams can and will go from zero to playoffs in one year, followed by being unable to give better contracts to their top players and going back down to the bottom the next. Including you.

I find that doing an English team or anywhere else is far easier for team continuity and just being able to throw money at the problem. If you sell someone for 50M in MLS, it doesn't matter you literally throw a large chunk of that money straight to MLS's Executive Cocaine Party fund, and the rest in an untouchable vault that you can't spend because 1) nobody's going to accept a transfer from almost anywhere to MLS, and 2) you can't use it to pay players because the salary cap stops you. The AI is straight up impossible to deal with because the players understand none of this. At least if you sell someone in a low-tier league to a better team, that generally turns into money you can use to improve your team. MLS isn't having any of that. I've found that MLS teams generally follow the boom/bust cycle and the challenge is avoiding that. There's definitely nothing in the favor of the player having a salary cap and 99% of the players of the world rejecting you because the max you can pay them is $95k/year instead of the 250k/year they'll get on the bench in the Championship on a team about to get relegated.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
Yeah, to play FM with something even approaching financial parity requires either playing in a league that enforces it like MLS, Australia, or Canada, heavy use of the pregame editor to address all the reasons financial inequality exists or, really, both.

The thing that makes this easier than playing elsewhere is that the AI doesn't really know how to handle not being able to just throw money at the problem. You're going to get players poached a lot or have them outgrow the team, so are the AI teams but they're going to a) recover badly and b) occasionally made some insane squad registration fuckup (which in MLS means you lose the player on a free) that you would reload your save for but alas, they will not.

But I think the key to enjoying games in those leagues (as someone who plays them a lot) is that you have to ALSO load leagues that you can buy players from - ie, that generate good players and have even less money than you (Scandinavia and South America are good for this in my experience, among others).

It's still kind of a treadmill game - not being in Europe means you have WAY fewer opportunities to advance league or club reputation, which puts a brake on much of a sense of progress (and static youth ratings mean there's ALSO a cap on how good the players you can generate will be no matter how much of your transfer income you plow into facilities. But those are just the same problems FM always has playing outside a big country so....

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

Orrrr you could say "gently caress that" and just grab the American Premier League mod! :v:

...they did make an APL mod for '21, right?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
lollujo is currently doing some "10 tier promotion/relegation pyramid in America" save with a custom club, and I can't imagine he set all of that up himself.

So I'm going to say yes, a mod was made for 21

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

Azhais posted:

lollujo is currently doing some "10 tier promotion/relegation pyramid in America" save with a custom club, and I can't imagine he set all of that up himself.

So I'm going to say yes, a mod was made for 21

Wow, what would Tier 10 be, Montana? :laugh:

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Moktaro posted:

I've been to Montana; they're in Conference NW

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
tier 10 in the US is going to be South Bend United vs Rapid Peoria

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
It's resurrected a lot of dead clubs

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Julio Cruz posted:

tier 10 in the US is going to be South Bend United vs Rapid Peoria

Sounds legit; there is an A-level baseball team in both of those places.

It's not a fair comparison with the UK, but I've been to South Bend and it's over 250,000 people metro area. That's not tiny.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Moktaro posted:

It's a tier 10 in World of Warships. :v:

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

JustJeff88 posted:

Sounds legit; there is an A-level baseball team in both of those places.

It's not a fair comparison with the UK, but I've been to South Bend and it's over 250,000 people metro area. That's not tiny.

it was about as far down the wiki list of the biggest cities in the US I could go (it's the top 300 and change) while still having heard of it

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

Is there a link to this setup for FM20? Haven't seen a need to pony up for 21 yet but I'm curious.

MagicCube
May 25, 2004

Managed to win the Swiss League with Vaduz after 5 years and am now working my way towards winning the Conference League, and wanted to share undoubtedly two of the greatest players Liechtenstein has ever produced (and aren't even out of their teens):

Shows how bad the rest of the national team is right now, and perhaps him, that he couldn't even get a goal against San Marino, Gibraltar and other minnows.

MagicCube fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Apr 9, 2021

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

So yeah, turns out Steam workshop has a butt-ton of USA pro/rel mods. And none of them have any reviews or creator names I recognize.

Help.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I signed a really good 22 year old Ukrainian winger from Kyiv over the summer window. His stats shot up impressively during his first few months on my team, but his play was disappointing, so after a memorably miserable 5.70 at Coimbra I demoted him out of the first team. I figured I'd have to flip him next summer at a loss of 15 or 20 million pounds.

He played a lot better running out against weaker opposition with the second eleven, which is nice, but I haven't promoted him back to the first team yet.

He just won the Ballon d'Or.

Uh.

Okay.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

Eric the Mauve posted:

I signed a really good 22 year old Ukrainian winger from Kyiv over the summer window. His stats shot up impressively during his first few months on my team, but his play was disappointing, so after a memorably miserable 5.70 at Coimbra I demoted him out of the first team. I figured I'd have to flip him next summer at a loss of 15 or 20 million pounds.

He played a lot better running out against weaker opposition with the second eleven, which is nice, but I haven't promoted him back to the first team yet.

He just won the Ballon d'Or.

Uh.

Okay.

The Ballon d'Or (along with a bunch of other trophies like that) are based solely on reputation, not on achievements. He could not play for a year and so long as his rep was still high enough he could still win it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
It's also an calendar year award rather than tying in with the continental football season so the quality that presumably made you sign him is being considered just as highly as recent struggles.