Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

koshmar posted:

I know I shouldn’t be surprised, but I’m blown away that they create 5 tons of toxic waste for every 1 ton of product.

That's almost cartoonish in its magnitude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Fun fact: it’s called “stripping ratio”.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Just gonna post this whole album: https://imgur.com/gallery/BcZsnHP

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

this guy getting hit with a sledge hammer and the lady just dying laughing...gently caress that

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

koshmar posted:

I know I shouldn’t be surprised, but I’m blown away that they create 5 tons of toxic waste for every 1 ton of product.

Just like me

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

thank you for not posting them inline so i dont have to scroll past them as ive already seen all these!

the first one has the tires blow out which is pretty funny

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6oU6T6qi-ws&t=167s

and they roll back again just for a reassurance

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Mine tailings are presumably just the rock you dug out minus one of the component minerals. Is it fine to stuff it back into unproductive mineshafts, or does the increased drainage from the tunnels and the fracturing of the rock make that problematic?

As for the superfund apartments, I wonder - if they did the cleanup job properly, the new apartments could plausibly be better than the properties downwind outside the cleanup area, and you may get good deal just because it scares off some buyers. On the other hand, that's a big if.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Computer viking posted:

Mine tailings are presumably just the rock you dug out minus one of the component minerals. Is it fine to stuff it back into unproductive mineshafts, or does the increased drainage from the tunnels and the fracturing of the rock make that problematic?

As for the superfund apartments, I wonder - if they did the cleanup job properly, the new apartments could plausibly be better than the properties downwind outside the cleanup area, and you may get good deal just because it scares off some buyers. On the other hand, that's a big if.

Yeah that's all mine tailing are, just rocks minus one element.

Holy poo poo get your life together man.

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020

Absurd Pox Term
Rad Buxom Strep

Retard Ox Bumps
Borax Dumpster

Dares Box Trump
I think an argument against putting the tailings back is that it's an uneccesary cost, and since there's no legislation against just dumping it on open ground whilst laughing and twirling your moustache that's what people do.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Often times the tailings also include traces of nasty stuff used in the process of extracting the desired product - for example gold mine tailings having a bunch of mercury and cyanide.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Uthor posted:

Touche!

They grow up to fight rigid gender normativity.

Would have to redo the Joker's entire aesthetic, too.

I'm still unclear how the bat costume fits in.

Transphobes are a superstitious and cowardly lot?

Ed: wow that's a lot more pages

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Computer viking posted:

Nice try Andy Wheeler Scott Pruitt. We ain't buying it.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

mostlygray posted:

The overheating thing must have stuck around in building design forever. Every apartment I've lived, that has central hot water heat, has been so hot you want to die. The thermostat does nothing. It's there, but it does absolutely nothing. I used to always keep a window open in my apartments.

I lived in a place for a few months that got up close to 90 inside while it was below zero outside. I started freaking out because they'd screwed the windows shut and I couldn't breath. It was so hot. I ended up turning on the A/C in our bedroom to cool it down to reasonable. After that, I ran the A/C full bore all day for the few months I lived there. Utilities were included so screw them.

Did you not have access to a screwdriver?

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Jabor posted:

Often times the tailings also include traces of nasty stuff used in the process of extracting the desired product - for example gold mine tailings having a bunch of mercury and cyanide.

Right, that's kind of important. I was wondering more about the minerals where you can do mechanical separation (first), so you have "clean" tailings - those can still leech all sorts of things you don't want in your water, but on the other hand they're literally just rocks out of the ground. It's kind of a stupid question, but I was honestly just wondering if putting them back in the ground would be good enough, or if the increased water permeability makes that a bad enough idea that it may be better to keep them in a pile you can monitor.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
It's a good job that gigantic piles of mined material are completely safe and have never in history slid down a hillside and demolished, say, a school

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Computer viking posted:

Right, that's kind of important. I was wondering more about the minerals where you can do mechanical separation (first), so you have "clean" tailings - those can still leech all sorts of things you don't want in your water, but on the other hand they're literally just rocks out of the ground. It's kind of a stupid question, but I was honestly just wondering if putting them back in the ground would be good enough, or if the increased water permeability makes that a bad enough idea that it may be better to keep them in a pile you can monitor.

Yeah, instead of being encased in hard rock they're now mostly powder.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
A video/photo report of the lifting and moving of an abandoned, sunken ship from the harbour of Kotka, Finland. Google Translate should work (except I noticed it translates 23 metres into... 23 feet, I hope NASA doesn't use Google)
https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=fi&tl=en&u=https://yle.fi/uutiset/3-11868553
https://yle.fi/uutiset/3-11868553

Posting this because a) it's interesting and b) I'm not convinced all these people working on the pier and the ship are wearing all required PPE.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007
https://i.imgur.com/ZOq5ykB.mp4

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Well that was entirely unexpected.

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

They say if you can't properly sink some bolts into the floor for your safe, you should attach it to something that wont fit out the door.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
forklift operator of the year

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

other people posted:

forklift operator of the year

I’m just gonna go ahead and say it, boys

That guy may actually be a certified forklift operator

The Real Amethyst
Apr 20, 2018

When no one was looking, Serval took forty Japari buns. She took 40 buns. That's as many as four tens. And that's terrible.
Certified
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-659McJhw0E

Not certified
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V66g49hBqVg

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

that guy forks

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

mostlygray posted:

The overheating thing must have stuck around in building design forever. Every apartment I've lived, that has central hot water heat, has been so hot you want to die. The thermostat does nothing. It's there, but it does absolutely nothing. I used to always keep a window open in my apartments.

I lived in a place for a few months that got up close to 90 inside while it was below zero outside. I started freaking out because they'd screwed the windows shut and I couldn't breath. It was so hot. I ended up turning on the A/C in our bedroom to cool it down to reasonable. After that, I ran the A/C full bore all day for the few months I lived there. Utilities were included so screw them.

Thermostat is supposed to control a zone valve that opens or closes and controls the flow of hot water through the radiator.
It's pretty common for the actuators on the valves to fail. Anybody ever take a look at it?

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
some near-misses :stare:

https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_qr12ixBK4h1r0uzl6.mp4

ekuNNN fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Apr 4, 2021

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

when you are impeccable, you take responsibility for your actions

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

Thanks gently caress, everybody else can go home now.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Do you learn this during forklift certification?

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

mobby_6kl posted:

Do you learn this during forklift certification?

The dark side of the fork is a pathway to many abilities some consider to be... unnatural.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

jetz0r fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Apr 4, 2021

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

I have a feeling this wasn't run by the legal department before publishing.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Kith posted:

when you are impeccable, you take responsibility for your actions

Sometimes life just syncs up on you.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

:perfect:

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Jabor posted:

This isn't just from the milling process, specifically in gold mining, cyanide is also deliberately added after the fine tailings have been stored to leach out the last few tenths of a gram per ton from them.

The two rectangles are ~80m high tailings piles that have cyanide sprayed over the top of them by a sprinkler system, which binds to gold ions in the fine tailings and makes them water soluble. The leaching ponds can be seen to the northeast of the big pile and a complex of ponds to the northwest of the longer one.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Jasper Tin Neck posted:

I have a feeling this wasn't run by the legal department before publishing.

Probably because the original looked like this:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4BPzI7R2L0

lol