Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UED Special Ops
Oct 21, 2008
Grimey Drawer

IAmThatIs posted:

The glory of Apex Imp
I wish I could swap it in for my champ lol

100% agreed. Just finished a run with 3 Apex Imps with incant gain armor and multi 1. Add in every single armor and rage relic, some discounted rage and armor cards, a 1 cost holdover Battering Ram, and Deranged Brute and it was just a slaughter. Poor Last Divinity didn't last too long once the Imp's were on the field. The poor Prince just kinda sat on floor 2 and chilled by the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pray for my aunt
Feb 13, 2012

14980c8b8a96fd9e279796a61cf82c9c
Legion of Wax with the ability to infuse another unit on it has made it even dumber (The little guys keep the infusion). With "Slay: +10 Gold" I had more money than I could spend, but I'm sure there's away more ridiculous things you could do. Actually, "Harvest: +5 Gold" would be exponentially dumber as each one would harvest the ones in front.

IAmThatIs
Nov 17, 2014

Wasteland Style

pray for my aunt posted:

Legion of Wax with the ability to infuse another unit on it has made it even dumber (The little guys keep the infusion). With "Slay: +10 Gold" I had more money than I could spend, but I'm sure there's away more ridiculous things you could do. Actually, "Harvest: +5 Gold" would be exponentially dumber as each one would harvest the ones in front.

:eyepop: that’s genius

Also I just got my first divinity kill! Multi striking sirens and quick wyndleton is a good time

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

pray for my aunt posted:

I gave my Legion the +50 damage when dying, then got the double extinguish artifact. It was a very smooth run.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t
When you are doing random clans can it pick alternate hero guys, or just the ones you have selected if you were not doing random? I don't think I have seen a bunch of them, but not sure if it is a statistical fluke or if that is how the random works.

Also, kind of like a movie, but from all the hype this received I am kind of underwhelmed and I am not sure if it is due to a fair assessment of the game, or if it is just falling short of what I expected. The combos seem completely self evident compared to StS, so far I have not noticed that many interesting interactions that decide a run, you often just make an overpowered unit, copy it, then run that to the end of the game. Maybe it deepens up at later difficulties, I am currently at Covenant rank 12 but overall it has seemed pretty shallow and easy.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Pain of Mind posted:

When you are doing random clans can it pick alternate hero guys, or just the ones you have selected if you were not doing random? I don't think I have seen a bunch of them, but not sure if it is a statistical fluke or if that is how the random works.

Also, kind of like a movie, but from all the hype this received I am kind of underwhelmed and I am not sure if it is due to a fair assessment of the game, or if it is just falling short of what I expected. The combos seem completely self evident compared to StS, so far I have not noticed that many interesting interactions that decide a run, you often just make an overpowered unit, copy it, then run that to the end of the game. Maybe it deepens up at later difficulties, I am currently at Covenant rank 12 but overall it has seemed pretty shallow and easy.
Some of the stuff takes off as you play more, like yeah a lot of combos are pretty clear, but there's also stuff you just can't plan for. By cov 12 you probably have seen most of what the game has to offer for weird stuff, unless you just hyperfocused on that "pick a strong unit you get early and dump everything into it/keep an ultra thin deck" strategy which tbh is probably the most consistent. What a lot of us like about the game is silly "timmy" strategies are pretty viable and you don't need to commit to cheese until you start really climbing the cov ranks.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
The expansion boss also seems to punish slim decks and a lot of the easy win tactics from my experience.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

My favourite card upgrade thing is definitely putting a holdover and spellchain on Perils of Production. Don't care about emberdrain when I can get 5 ember for free every turn.

Eeepies
May 29, 2013

Bocchi-chan's... dead.
We'll have to find a new guitarist.
Covenent 19 now after getting the game a week ago, and I've mostly been running random/random for every run.

For some reason, I click very well with Tethys, Solgard, the Imp Queen, and Little Fade, and with those 4 I've not lost runs before, but the buffet umbra champion and the hornbreaker I've no idea how to play. Plink is pretty bad, a 3/3 champion that can be eaten three times (in a clan with almost no buffs) makes me struggle on figuring out how to use him, Torch is even worse (1 mana do 2 yay), and the hornbreaker himself feels pretty weak unless juiced up with rage. My only win with hornbreaker was finding the 3 cost rage +10 and sneckos, then duplicating the rage+10 card and giving him like 400+ rage with the double rage card, but that was 1 win out of 6-8 runs so far.

The umbra buffet champion was even worse, I won by finding the -1 space +15 spell damage artifact, and duplicating permafreeze stygian hammers (60 damage thing) with the artifact that reduced frozen cards to 0, but most of the times the champion played no part at all. (and 2 other times it died to Hephestus which was pretty embarrassing).

What am I missing with these 2 champions?

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"

Eeepies posted:

Covenent 19 now after getting the game a week ago, and I've mostly been running random/random for every run.

For some reason, I click very well with Tethys, Solgard, the Imp Queen, and Little Fade, and with those 4 I've not lost runs before, but the buffet umbra champion and the hornbreaker I've no idea how to play. Plink is pretty bad, a 3/3 champion that can be eaten three times (in a clan with almost no buffs) makes me struggle on figuring out how to use him, Torch is even worse (1 mana do 2 yay), and the hornbreaker himself feels pretty weak unless juiced up with rage. My only win with hornbreaker was finding the 3 cost rage +10 and sneckos, then duplicating the rage+10 card and giving him like 400+ rage with the double rage card, but that was 1 win out of 6-8 runs so far.

The umbra buffet champion was even worse, I won by finding the -1 space +15 spell damage artifact, and duplicating permafreeze stygian hammers (60 damage thing) with the artifact that reduced frozen cards to 0, but most of the times the champion played no part at all. (and 2 other times it died to Hephestus which was pretty embarrassing).

What am I missing with these 2 champions?

Umbra guy there are two things: take the upgrade that transfers status effects then load him up with status effects. He'll transfer things that the game in other instances doesn't consider buffs like multistrike, burnout, and armor. If you go this route getting the extra servings upgrade is pretty good. 2nd thing is playing him multiple times, either with the disgorge card (which is pretty rare so not something you can plan around but great if it shows up) or by killing him before he's fully swallowed then reforming him. Reforming him also adds attack and HP he can feed to somebody. He's really one of the strongest champs imo.

Prince yeah you're stacking rage/armor. I don't like the +attack on slay at all. Multistrike can kinda suck to start out with if you don't have a way of getting some rage on him to boost his attack because he's dead space for a few battles till you find something. My favorite setup is +rage on revenge/armor on slay for level 1 and then next 2 levels multistrike. He can more or less solo the game like that. If you're locked out of multistrike just take him fully down the +rage/armor path. Spikes trigger slay which can be big.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
This is one of those games where every approach i think is good actually sucks, and the ones I write off are impossibly giga-powered

I am Not Good at Video Games

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
only way i can go big on high covenant is with shadow siege + the free summoning artifact

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

jsoh posted:

only way i can go big on high covenant is with shadow siege + the free summoning artifact

Same, but stacking umbra lifesteal

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi
What a ridiculously easy win on Covenant 25 with 200 shards. Harvest +5 Gold on Legion of Wax. On top of the 3200 gold you can see there, I had spent a few thousand prior. I took some damage because I cast 'For the Greater Good' on that miniboss you can see on the bottom floor, and didn't have the mana to play the purge or damage card they generate every turn.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
Oh and for those of you curious, a spikerdriver colony does not copy over any shard enhancements on death, so you can't pump up your shard count that way.
Also a purged card that increased your shards (such as tossing a purgestone onto it at a temple) doesn't lower your count after the card is gone.

Eeepies
May 29, 2013

Bocchi-chan's... dead.
We'll have to find a new guitarist.

Tokyo Sex Whale posted:

Umbra guy there are two things: take the upgrade that transfers status effects then load him up with status effects. He'll transfer things that the game in other instances doesn't consider buffs like multistrike, burnout, and armor. If you go this route getting the extra servings upgrade is pretty good. 2nd thing is playing him multiple times, either with the disgorge card (which is pretty rare so not something you can plan around but great if it shows up) or by killing him before he's fully swallowed then reforming him. Reforming him also adds attack and HP he can feed to somebody. He's really one of the strongest champs imo.

Prince yeah you're stacking rage/armor. I don't like the +attack on slay at all. Multistrike can kinda suck to start out with if you don't have a way of getting some rage on him to boost his attack because he's dead space for a few battles till you find something. My favorite setup is +rage on revenge/armor on slay for level 1 and then next 2 levels multistrike. He can more or less solo the game like that. If you're locked out of multistrike just take him fully down the +rage/armor path. Spikes trigger slay which can be big.

Umbra buffet champion seems to work only with certain other clans then? If i roll him with Stygian or Awaken am i screwed?
Noted on Prince, I'll try allocating more resources to him next time.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Eeepies posted:

Umbra buffet champion seems to work only with certain other clans then? If i roll him with Stygian or Awaken am i screwed?
Noted on Prince, I'll try allocating more resources to him next time.

Primordius can work with anything, but I think Prim + Stygian is one of the weaker combinations since they're kinda at cross purposes. Stygian's units are all pretty weak so even if Prim can make anything good, he's got farther to go with them. You're probably best off just trying to get Umbra units and ignoring the Stygian stuff in that setup, though failing that the ones with Sweep, the eel thing or Titan Sentry are all okay if not great.

Awoken are fine with him, though. Their bottom end of synergy is basically the same as the same as Stygian's top end and there's some really good units to pair with him too (the husks with sweep, since they've got better stats than the Stygian sweep units)

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

been giving Monster Train another go after the update, and I am very pleased with the new railbeater. (and the other hellhorned changes too)
slapped a few upgrades on that beater and so far they've been the best meatshield an imperial/rally shardtail queen could ask for.
daze getting swapped for emberburn for the first unit on the top floor also feels real nice, get me a Forever Flame or some ember generation and my imp-spam can laugh all the way to the nearest transcendimp.

think I'm gonna have to get the dlc soon, Apex Imp looks like a natural fit for about any imp build that can get one

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010

Eason the Fifth posted:

This is one of those games where every approach i think is good actually sucks, and the ones I write off are impossibly giga-powered

I am Not Good at Video Games

This is me.

For example:
I had completely written off the Imp Hellhorn lady to the point where hellhorned was level 10 and I still hadnt used her more than once. Instead, I always used the prince and just tried to stack up as much attack/multi as possible.

Tried imp queen yesterday on a lark, and proceeded to throw imps at angels for 8 cov levels.

So I guess I'm trying to buffet guy next.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
So it turns out transcendimp will copy Echowright's summon egg ability.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Legion of Wax stacks when combined with Entombed Explosive. Plus the charm for artifact for 2x on extinguish, and holy lol.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
Just finished a 200 shard cov 1 run. (Awoken lockdown: the sweep/+ on incant champ, Daze on Holdover, and the +incant monsters). After you set it up, once you get the daze in your hand, the opponent never gets a turn, and they never get to go up the train. If you get the x2 incant artifact, it can get ridiculous.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---
What a weird game Monster Train is

Going from "hmm I don't know if I'll win this run" at the start of the battle to earning the 'Kill Seraph before the combat phase' cheevo on Covenant 25. I don't even know what I did to overfill my crystals that much -- I did get the Reap stacks that high with the spike that does 4*energy stacks of it though which I imagine is the only real way to get more than like 20 Reap on an enemy.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
Does anyone have any tips for Wurmkin Primary/Stygian Guard secondary (standard clans) on CR25 vs Last Divinity? Even when I get ridiculous builds that sweep through Seraph I can't seem to get a setup that lasts vs the LD.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

GodFish posted:

Does anyone have any tips for Wurmkin Primary/Stygian Guard secondary (standard clans) on CR25 vs Last Divinity? Even when I get ridiculous builds that sweep through Seraph I can't seem to get a setup that lasts vs the LD.

Take the champion that gives +attack per ember resource thing in the room, get a Bogfly Egg, graft one of the Sirens onto the egg, get Multistrike on the egg, win. Might get dicey against Seraph the Patient because he might kill your champion, but if you know you have Patient coming up you can expand the size of your rooms and put a shark in front.

That's not the only way to win with Wurmkin/Stygian, but it's a pretty easy one if you're just looking to get the combination checked off.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

GodFish posted:

Are you like me and missed the TLD clears debuffs so frostbite and Reap are significantly handicapped? don't be like me.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.
Complaining on the internet always works, got it on my next run with a double siren and an UP from an Olde Magic. It was close since the Sweep floor almost killed my sirens but they were able to kill TLD the turn they would have died. Thanks for the tips though!

Smith Comma John
Nov 21, 2007

Human being for president.

GodFish posted:

Holdover frenzied swarm is something you should always be looking for with Stygian, as it almost singlehandedly solves survivability vs TLD - you just need to deal with thorns and a bit of extinguish damage, then combo with some wave clear spells to push damage before relentless. Sap totem is rare and expensive but can serve a similar purpose.

Barring that, shelter is the best survivability tool available to you from wurmkin, but it either takes substantial upgrade investment and duplication or the wurmkin ex champ to be your sole way of dealing with incoming damage on TLD

3am
Jul 15, 2012

...like pen to paper at three o'clock in the morning.
I’m enjoying this new clan and the new mechanics! I did a Wurmkin/Awoken run on Cov 0 to get a feel for the mechanics and won pretty handily. Then I did a Wurmkin/Hellhorn Cov 1 run and somehow beat the WTF end boss The Last Divinity by abusing the bog fly eggs badly (I put +1 capacity/+15 attack/+40 defense and endless on one and copied it. The constant stream of eggs is the only reason I won.) I’m not particularly good at this game and I took him down, so there’s hope for everyone now. 😄

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore
The only thing I dislike about the dlc is the awoken ones cleanse, because it completely neuters frostbite/reap which are major clan mechanics. I would much prefer if it only cleansed a portion like that one seraph.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Finally played for the first time last week, pretty fun for a bit but the strategy to win is painfully obvious. have a plan to deal with the back row. Thats it, thats the whole game. If you can reliably get at the back row guys with debilitating effects you win. :shrug:

Dont bother with anything unless it lets you target. Freeze, sting, imp that does 10 to front all garbage. Just have something that lets you hit past the dumb idiot blockers and you win.

At Cov 4 now and I uninstalled. It's fun and pretty and the turn to turn tactics are nice but the overall strategy is so dead simple compared to StS

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Shrecknet posted:

Finally played for the first time last week, pretty fun for a bit but the strategy to win is painfully obvious. have a plan to deal with the back row. Thats it, thats the whole game. If you can reliably get at the back row guys with debilitating effects you win. :shrug:

Dont bother with anything unless it lets you target. Freeze, sting, imp that does 10 to front all garbage. Just have something that lets you hit past the dumb idiot blockers and you win.

At Cov 4 now and I uninstalled. It's fun and pretty and the turn to turn tactics are nice but the overall strategy is so dead simple compared to StS

StS is simple to win on low ascensions too

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Yeah but StS has different fights. Every fight in every part of MT is exactly the same: burn down the back row somehow before they can gently caress up your day and ignore the heckin' chonkers up front. The fights dont really deviate from that formula across the run, vs StS having elites with gimmicks to change or counter your play, and unique conditions on more enemies.

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

Shrecknet posted:

Yeah but StS has different fights. Every fight in every part of MT is exactly the same: burn down the back row somehow before they can gently caress up your day and ignore the heckin' chonkers up front. The fights dont really deviate from that formula across the run, vs StS having elites with gimmicks to change or counter your play, and unique conditions on more enemies.

Your posts have actually summed it up properly for me and helped me to understand exactly why I loved StS more than this game (which is a good game, but can’t quite get to StS level).

Every battle in StS is like a boss fight, they’re all different, and all of the fights need you to leverage your build as best as you can. Might end up getting battered by the 3xBirds!

In Monster Train, just kill the cheeky back guy that does the spikes/haste/whatever, you’ll be fine.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Shrecknet posted:

This is absolutely not true at higher Covenant and Shard levels. If you ignore the big guys in front they will absolutely murder your Pyre.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Yeah -- higher cov starts getting real tricky because it penalizes the simple and effective tactics. Or maybe it's easy and I just suck at video games :shrug:

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

As an example, you can get enemies with 10 attack, 290 health, and regen 20. One of those will deal 110 damage to your Pyre all by itself if it gets there at full health. And they frequently either come in pairs or have other beefy guys blocking for them.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007
The same deck strategy still works overall the entire game, though.

Cut all units and spells besides the few of each you're focusing on so you'll have a very consistent hand and as long as you have some sort of eye for what scales up, then you win.

Exception is probably Melting Remnant since you can't just make a single hellfloor that instantly gibs all enemies with them so easily thanks to their Burnout gimmick.

STS does have the issue of that being the optimal deck strategy until the higher ascensions, too, but it goes to a real effort to dissuade that. Monster Train's attempt to dissuade that seems to be "Give you free cards" but this instead just gives you a head start on what you want to focus on so you can immediately cut all Train Stewarts and probably most of your starting spells/Imps/Draffs.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.
I've been working my way through CR 25 Divine wins with the different clans but I've hit a solid wall on (standard) Umbra Primary / Wurmkin Secondary, I can't figure out how to get any synergy going between them. Umbra secondary with wurm primary was mostly just using wurmskin stuff with morsel's to help out occasionally (and damage shields). What have you all been doing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

GodFish posted:

I've been working my way through CR 25 Divine wins with the different clans but I've hit a solid wall on (standard) Umbra Primary / Wurmkin Secondary, I can't figure out how to get any synergy going between them. Umbra secondary with wurm primary was mostly just using wurmskin stuff with morsel's to help out occasionally (and damage shields). What have you all been doing?

I've only done it once, and it was mostly based on good luck, but I think my build was very Umbra heavy:
Top floor: Penumbra Glutton-specced with morselmaker/master (maybe 1 in Trample)
Middle floor: Crucible collector with morselmaker/master
Bottom floor: Shadowseige with quick & multistrike
Gap filler: Kinhost Carapace
Magic: Mostly reap-focused to DOT bosses during the length of the battle, with Echo Infusion/Echo Snare to buff Umbra units
Relics: Fossilized Fangs (hugely important)/Refined Void