Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

mystes posted:

If I'm reading your first link correctly, it sounds like they failed to completely replicate it so the new version that's used in the browser can only be used as a performance optimization (either it only evaluates some formulas in the browser, or it evaluates all formulas in the browser but then goes back and gets the correct result from the server in case the result is different) which is pretty crazy:

If this is the case, it probably hasn't replaced the engine in the desktop version so the new features such as lambdas probably aren't based on this work. Also, they must have simply adapted the existing excel code so they could execute it on the server to get the correct results for formulas where the new version doesn't produce the same output (for some reason).

i think the distinction here is more what is in calc.ts itself and what is in the formal specifications they have worked up on the semantics. obviously the lambdas in excel "proper" are not implemented in calc.ts, they haven't tossed the desktop code-base, but the research effort actually figuring out the real semantics made it possible to start iterating on the "language" in a more reasonable way.

i may have been reading between the lines a bit for that though, been a bit since i looked into it.

all pretty interesting stuff at any rate, i am a sucker for any efforts to bring light task-oriented programming to the masses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

alright! im 99% done with accuracy of 99.95% the rest should be easy

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

here's some dumb windows poo poo (mlmp): in Win10 you can use the Photos app to play and trim video files. the app supports playing H265 videos but does not support trimming them. however that's not immediately obvious because when you do try to trim a H265 video file in the app it spits out a permissions error:

i have no fuckin clue what kinda twisted internal machinations lead the app to represent a code support limitation as a file permission issue. it's also bizarre that it suggests trying to save a copy of the file because when you're in the trim video view the only two buttons are "Save As" and "Cancel"

the Video Editor app also doesn't support H265 and spits out a different error which is still misleading (it sounds like it's disagreeing with some metadata or other poo poo in the container):

bizarre poo poo aside i still use both apps on the reg to quickly trim a video clip or do some short video poo poo like idk dubbing a video with some audio

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Chris Knight posted:

I mean they deliberately copied the date mistakes Lotus made when starting out, and god knows they can't clean that cruft out NOW

if you haven't read this in a while, its still good: https://www.joelonsoftware.com/2006/06/16/my-first-billg-review/

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

microsoft is going to acquire discord for 10bil when you can download it for free (stolen joke from twitter)

please update the loving title of this thread

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Share Bear posted:

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

yeah didn’t you see they just undid the free software 9/11

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man
2021: Linux on the desktop, Free Software Iraq War

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.

PCjr sidecar posted:

yeah didn’t you see they just undid the free software 9/11

we simply cant risk a 9/10 mentality

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
https://gizmodo.com/cortana-is-dead-on-android-and-ios-today-1846598552
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-Xrlf3taEo

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

F

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

Pile Of Garbage posted:

here's some dumb windows poo poo (mlmp): in Win10 you can use the Photos app to play and trim video files. the app supports playing H265 videos but does not support trimming them. however that's not immediately obvious because when you do try to trim a H265 video file in the app it spits out a permissions error:

Probably as simple as tab completing the wrong exception because they both start with "file". Most FOSS code just segfaults if the programmer is too lazy to properly deal with errors.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

why the everloving hell does updating visual studio require me to restart my computer

what is this nonsense lmbo

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

everything requires a restart on windows. it's a signature move

10hr uptime is considered shameful

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Starting windows should require a restart imho.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

DoomTrainPhD posted:

Sharting windows should require a reshart imho.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

DoomTrainPhD posted:

Starting windows should require a restart imho.

if the last time you shut down, you installed updates, windows might need to restart during it's next boot.

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
load bearing text editor

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

it takes like 10 seconds to restart a modern pc. not a big deal

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/0xamit/status/1378430803005337604

Mr. Sickos
May 22, 2011

Share Bear posted:

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
what are the chances Microsoft is going to wreck discord completely

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Maximum Leader posted:

what are the chances Microsoft is going to wreck discord completely

100%

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

the bet should be, which will they wreck first: bethesda or discord?

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

The_Franz posted:

the bet should be, which will they wreck first: bethesda or discord?

I don’t think they’ll do anything untoddhoward to bethesda

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

carry on then posted:

thread title, please

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

carry on then posted:

rare went downhill quite fast after ms bought them and they turned bungie into a lovely sequel mill

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfaN267lI_Y

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

The_Franz posted:

rare went downhill quite fast after ms bought them and they turned bungie into a lovely sequel mill

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfaN267lI_Y

Politifact rates this as false: Bungie made Destiny2 which is in fact, a mediocre sequel.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

DoomTrainPhD posted:

Politifact rates this as false: Bungie made Destiny2 which is in fact, a mediocre sequel.

bungie had already split from ms at that point. once they made the last halo sequel, ms had no more use for them

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Speaking of discord I absolutely love how it's literally impossible to change the default notification sounds in Teams. there's no windows sound settings that show teams, and there aren't even any loving WAV files i can replace or anything.

pram
Jun 10, 2001

DoomTrainPhD posted:

dont even need to go back that far. halo 2 was a poo poo sequel

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

pram posted:

halo 2 was a poo poo sequel

to a poo poo game

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

The_Franz posted:

afaik rare was more integrated into the company (and forced to deal with its horrible culture) and had their hand forced more often into what it would make. their 360 games before Kinect were okay, but once Kinect hit and that's all they started making those... yeah, not as good.

but Microsoft today is not the same as it was then. don't get me wrong, the culture still sucks there, but they're smart enough to leave more of these companies alone as separate things, so they don't have to deal with it.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

carry on then posted:

jeesus

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Share Bear posted:

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug

pram posted:

halo 2 was a poo poo sequel

iirc bungie wanted halo 2 and 3 to be combined as the sequel, but microsoft forced them to split the content into two games, the second of which would be released on the next console (xbox 360)

that doesnt mean the original vision/plan would have been good of course, but it probably would have been better

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Lysidas posted:

iirc bungie wanted halo 2 and 3 to be combined as the sequel, but microsoft forced them to split the content into two games, the second of which would be released on the next console (xbox 360)

that doesnt mean the original vision/plan would have been good of course, but it probably would have been better

remember when halo 2 leaked a week or two early and extremely whiny, butthurt people were melting down and yelling about how they were going to call the cops when they saw people playing it in university dorms? lol

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

carry on then posted:

:gowron:

The_Franz posted:

to a poo poo game

i still feel like it was a console tribes without jet packs and i mean how can i enjoy that game?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Agile Vector posted:

:gowron:

i still feel like it was a console tribes without jet packs and i mean how can i enjoy that game?

Tribes without jetpacks is a travesty. HO or HOF is what I played. :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

The_Franz posted:

remember when halo 2 leaked a week or two early and extremely whiny, butthurt people were melting down and yelling about how they were going to call the cops when they saw people playing it in university dorms? lol

Iirc it was more like two months early and it was entirely in French lol

Me and my friend were playing it and he was baked af (I can't smoke because I have a CDL) and he thought it would be hilarious to prank call Microsoft asking them why the game was in French. The person on the phone said "the game isn't out yet" and his response was "that's not what Demonoid has to say about it" and the person on the phone proceeded to read my friend's phone number back to him lol. Apparently caller ID blocking does not work on 800 numbers (it's how the TrapCall app is able to unblock blocked numbers).