Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!
So we're currently talking about Foundation which has an interesting TOS

quote:

Collectors Rights

Collectors receive a cryptographic token representing the Creator’s Digital Artwork as a piece of property, but do not own the creative work itself. Collectors may display and share the Digital Artwork, but Collectors do not have any legal ownership, right, or title to any copyrights, trademarks, or other intellectual property rights to the Digital Artwork, excepting the limited license to the Digital Artwork granted by these Terms. Upon collecting a Digital Artwork, Collectors receive a limited, worldwide, non-assignable, non-sublicensable, royalty-free license to display the Digital Artwork legally owned and properly obtained by the Collector.

The Collector’s limited license to display the Digital Artwork, includes, but is not limited to, the right to display the Digital Artwork privately or publicly: (i) for the purpose of promoting or sharing the Collector’s purchase, ownership, or interest, (ii) for the purpose of sharing, promoting, discussing, or commenting on the Digital Artwork; (iii) on third party marketplaces, exchanges, platforms, or applications in association with an offer to sell, or trade, the Digital Artwork; and (iv) within decentralized virtual environments, virtual worlds, virtual galleries, virtual museums, or other navigable and perceivable virtual environments.

Collectors have the right to sell, trade, transfer, or use their Digital Artwork, but Collectors may not make “commercial use” of the Digital Artwork.
You get nothing but a limited license to display the art non-commercially. Now what does Foundation get?

quote:

The Creator hereby acknowledges, understands, and agrees that launching a Digital Artwork on Foundation constitutes an express and affirmative grant to Foundation, its affiliates and successors a non-exclusive, world-wide, assignable, sublicensable, perpetual, and royalty-free license to make copies of, display, perform, reproduce, and distribute the Digital Artwork on any media whether now known or later discovered for the broad purpose of operating, promoting, sharing, developing, marketing, and advertising the Platform, or any other purpose related to Foundation, including without limitation, the express right to: (i) display or perform the Digital Artwork on the Platform, a third party platform, social media posts, blogs, editorials, advertising, market reports, virtual galleries, museums, virtual environments, editorials, or to the public; (ii) create and distribute digital or physical derivative Digital Artwork based on the Digital Artwork; (iii) indexing the Digital Artwork in electronic databases, indexes, catalogues; and (iv) hosting, storing, distributing, and reproducing one or more copies of the Digital Artwork within a distributed file keeping system, node cluster, or other database (e.g., IPFS) or causing, directing, or soliciting others to do so.
An almost unlimited license to do whatever the gently caress they want with the art!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

You see, there's absolutely no difference between having the original Starry Night hanging in your living room versus a grainy jpg you downloaded from wikimedia. You idiot. You imbecile.

goes back to squinting at the picture on a phone

Yes, truly the same.

bertolt rekt
Jul 30, 2007

walter benjamin already figured this out. there is no reason to have this discussion again

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Take the original .PSD, zip it up and encrypt it with a password. Congrats, you now have authenticity and security for 3¢ worth of electricity, if that.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

xtal posted:

Given you can print it out, trace it over or anything, indirectly yes. My point is that you can go to an art museum and copy whatever you see even though it's owned by someone else. It's a nature of art whether physical or digital.

One of those things is made of paint on canvas and the other one is made of data on your phone. Your copy is not the same; it is not made of the same materials, you cannot display it the same way. If you print it, you still lose the physical nature of the original being paint on canvas; your print becomes ink on canvas or more likely ink on paper. The physical art cannot be duplicated exactly.

With an NFT, my copy of the data, which was downloaded by my browser in order to display the image to me, is necessarily identical to your copy of the data. Except the thing you own isn't that copy of the data, it's a hash of a text file indicating but not guaranteeing the location where it was being hosted at the time of the NFT's creation.

Do you not understand this? Is it too complicated for you?

E: Even if we get to the point of being able to 3d print with arbitrary materials, your set of those materials is not the same as the set used for the original; they are newer, they have not aged the same way; they were not used in the construction of the original. The inherently fungible nature of digital data means that there is no difference between the set of bits that makes up "your" copy of a piece of digital art and "my" copy of it. In order to put it onto a hosting service, it was copied to that service's storage.

Somfin fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Apr 4, 2021

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I honestly can't tell if xtal is doing a schtick of being astoundingly dumb and contrarian or if they are sincere-posting. :iiam:

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

Rectal Death Deft posted:

been awhile since we had an art history major fist fight

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I honestly can't tell if xtal is doing a schtick of being astoundingly dumb and contrarian or if they are sincere-posting. :iiam:
We become what we post, so we must be careful of our posts.

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

If you post for long into an abyss, the abyss posts also into you.

TasogareNoKagi
Jul 11, 2013

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Poe's law would suggest there isn't one.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

kw0134 posted:

You see, there's absolutely no difference between having the original Starry Night hanging in your living room versus a grainy jpg you downloaded from wikimedia. You idiot. You imbecile.

goes back to squinting at the picture on a phone

Yes, truly the same.

I'll have you know I actually own the Mona Lisa, a guy sold it to me for a cool hundred grand

*proceeds to unfurl an aged map of the Louvre with its 1910 location circled*

This constitutes ownership somehow

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

poo poo, I knew I was doing art wrong when I paid an artist for the canvas when I could have gotten a URL embedded into the ~*BLOCKCHAIN*~ at the low cost of burning a rain forest down

tears painting off the wall and stomps on it for a while

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

strange feelings re Daisy posted:

It hasn't crashed yet. The New York Attorney General ordered them to issue a full audit of their reserves and they haven't done that yet. They hired a company in the Cayman Islands that did an attestation on their total assets. That report doesn't specify how much liquid USD they have. In fact the total assets would include bitcoin purchased with fraudulently printed Tether so the attestation is useless.

They are based in the Bahamas, which releases reports on total banking reserves. There has not been enough USD imported into the entire Bahamian banking system in the last year to match what Tether is printing. It's completely impossible they have 1:1 backing.

The thing is, they already admitted this in April 2019 when they said Tether is only 74% backed by USD. There was no crash when they released that information. I believe the NYAG audit deadline is in late May. Let's say that happens and it turns out Tether is 55% backed by USD. Will that information cause a crash when the revelation of 74% backing didn't? I don't know.

what blows me away is they did this exact. same. scam. years ago and they're just.... doing it again. and it's working

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!
https://twitter.com/jfresshhh_/status/1378210798435061766?s=19

number go waaay down

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Jose Valasquez posted:

So you're argument now is that a picture of a physical object is the same as the physical object itself?

I've got a bridge to sell you

But you never told us how many bitcoins you're selling it for!

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped

notwithoutmyanus posted:

But you never told us how many bitcoins you're selling it for!

I mean, it's probably worth 1000 BTC worth of metal and brick even if someone has to dismantle it and then transport the parts to be melted down and re-used.

Then again you're only getting a picture so... 10 BTC.

But it is an NFT so let's say 100 BTC.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Three Olives posted:

I've been busy trying so I haven't had time to process NFTs, but I am getting around to it...

Is my understanding correctly, that it is basically a blockchain receipt from a digital gallery that you "own" the right to display, but not actually possess the actual copyright to a file that is capable of being exactly reproduced an unlimited number of times without relieving it's provenience, like the actual ultra-high end art market is absolutely full of forgeries, scams and why photographs dictate a much smaller market than sculptures and paintings?

Like, literally the only difference between me making a copy of a Beeple file and displaying it in my home and the person that paid money for it is some pedantic nerd will argue with me that while it is completely identical in every way, I don't have the receipt?

That doesn't make sense, at least in the case of artificial scarcity of art, the original negatives and molds are destroyed? Literally no one is like "Well, I actually subscribed to Brazzers to download this video, I didn't get it off some piracy site, I can show you the receipt! :smug: " Like even in digital "art", there has always been some nominal DRM/actionable copyright mechanism and even then people didn't even really care if they had an easy way to bypass it.

This is somehow ever incredibly dumber than Bitcoin if I understand it correctly, which I believe I do.

I feel like this is like getting into some sort of argument with someone I printed a photo for on if it was printed in Genuine HP Photo Archival Ink TM.

no. it's dumber than that

Three Olives posted:

...basically a blockchain receipt from a digital gallery that you "own" the right to display...

you don't even get that. you get a json file with a url in it. that's it

the best example someone gave is those calling cards that are all over the sidewalks in las vegas. that's what people are bidding hundreds of thousands or millions of dollars on. the card and that's it

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
The only way NFT development hypothetically pays off is if it becomes a dominant and effective system of rights management.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Gazpacho posted:

The only way NFT development hypothetically pays off is if it becomes a dominant and effective system of rights management.

like any other legal realm it’s complicated for a reason

it’s like when in the early 00s there were tons of paypal competitors springing up all the time because ‘it’s just numbers in a computer how hard could it be?’

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Gazpacho posted:

If it gets to the point that actual IP law gets involved most of the NFT "market" is likely going to blaze out really fast. The left-hand side of this GIF is the copyright lawyers and the right-hand side is NFT grifters.

Zeppelin Insanity
Oct 28, 2009

Wahnsinn
Einfach
Wahnsinn
lmao i never noticed that in that scene they charge cavalry right into a deep formation of pikes

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Gazpacho posted:

What the hype says and what the fine print says are so divergent that it's effectively fraud. "This is a new form of ownership!" is the blurb. The contract says "you get poo poo and we retain everything and gently caress you." It'd be one thing if they actually attempted it, but they don't; the operators know that they can't effectively convey anything via NFT.

Scams on scams on scams on scams.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

I have a nature photography side business. Have I missed the NFT boat or can I still swindle some poor saps by (if I'm understanding this correctly) selling links to my digital file for huge sums of money.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Zeppelin Insanity posted:

lmao i never noticed that in that scene they charge cavalry right into a deep formation of pikes

The lovely tactics in the film (which made changes from the book to make them worse) have bothered me for twenty years.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Random Stranger posted:

The lovely tactics in the film (which made changes from the book to make them worse) have bothered me for twenty years.

"Deduct your own casualties from those of the enemy. If the answer is a positive sum, it was a glorious victory."

Scam Likely
Feb 19, 2021

InternetJunky posted:

I have a nature photography side business. Have I missed the NFT boat or can I still swindle some poor saps by (if I'm understanding this correctly) selling links to my digital file for huge sums of money.

Your photos may already have been transacted as NFT's, so be sure say thanks if you ever catch whoever sold them.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Its Happening! posted:

Your photos may already have been transacted as NFT's, so be sure say thanks if you ever catch whoever sold them.

Can I sell a link to this thread?

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped

Zeppelin Insanity posted:

The pikes were too short and for being an otherwise well-ordered force the Uruk Hai really messed up by not posting sentries on the one approach from which they could get absolutely demolished.

What I'm saying is that any legal battle about NFTs will look real dumb regardless of the outcome.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
https://twitter.com/CNBC/status/1378945993681608708

Lol some rich people are so goddamn stupi

E: followup lol

https://twitter.com/logophobe/status/1379078371846414338

priznat fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Apr 5, 2021

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
how do NFT's deal with stuff that has that super pink color that most monitors cant even display.

what about NFT's for uncomputable numbers or the concept of THE ENTIRE sequence of some irrational number?

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme
By not encoding, representing, or indeed relating in any way to the thing they're attached to.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Wait, does Tesla really only leave their BTC request window open for 30 minutes? That is insane, given how backlogged transactions can get.

TasogareNoKagi
Jul 11, 2013

LanceHunter posted:

Wait, does Tesla really only leave their BTC request window open for 30 minutes? That is insane, given how backlogged transactions can get.

You don't become a captain of industry by being the last one left hodling the bag. That's what suckers customers are for.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

TasogareNoKagi posted:

You don't become a captain of industry by being the last one left hodling the bag. That's what suckers customers are for.

Yeah, but this isn't even passing off the bag, though. This is like putting a shredder in front of your vending machine's bill acceptor.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

This is good, money doesn't make you happy anyway. Actually, now that I think about it I never really wanted to have the money anyway so you could say Musk and Bitcoin did me a favor here. So, thank you

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

GABA ghoul posted:

This is good, money doesn't make you happy anyway. Actually, now that I think about it I never really wanted to have the money anyway so you could say Musk and Bitcoin did me a favor here. So, thank you

Lmao, brilliant

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
What does “window” mean? Does Tesla rotate its payment address or st

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Gazpacho posted:

What does “window” mean? Does Tesla rotate its payment address or st

Bitcoin invoice addresses help a recipient know that the bitcoin they received came from a particular person (and not someone else saying that they were actually the person who sent X amount of BTC to an address). They are single-use, and very often have a time limit. Popular wallet Electrum defaults to 1 day when you create a request, but it can be as short as 10 minutes or as long as a week. Technically you can have ones that never time out, as well, though they're still only single-use.

Yes, this is as stupid as it sounds.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
They only allow you a certain window to complete the transaction because the Bitcorn price in real currency swings so wildly.

Bitcorn payments aren't instant, they're processed about every 10 minutes. And about once a year, a new block doesn't get found for 40 minutes+. So if you're unlucky, you'll miss the payment window even doing everything right.

After that, they seem to wait some additional hours to make sure the transaction wasn't included in an orphaned chain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zefiel
Sep 14, 2007

You can do whatever you want in life.

So this is what brings about the hyperbitcoinization, right?