Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
poll
This poll is closed.
answer 1 9 8.33%
answer 2 15 13.89%
answer 3 48 44.44%
answer 4 36 33.33%
Total: 108 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Wrapping up a route in Somnium Files. Hakai, to be specific. :siren: Massive spoilers for Somnium Files like holy poo poo!! :siren:

Feels like I’m wrapping up the entire game (maybe). Considering they’re making me go around and catch up with all the characters.

This game is surprisingly grounded for Uchikoshi. Everything is telegraphed, the clues are there for you to pick up on ahead of time if you want, and I figured out a major twist before the game dumped it in my lap. It’s certainly a very competent and well-executed story.

Still, I feel like I’m missing something. There’s a lot that I don’t have a good explanation for, and things that don’t feel like they resolved in a satisfying manner. If it really ends here, that’s not quite what I expected - like, at all.

Assuming I’m actually done, of course. Cause the game’s acting like it, but...

Nobody dare tell me anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Lurdiak posted:

One time I asked for mario rpg but I guess money was tight so I only got the player's guide (I got the actual game at christmas not that much later). At the time I was disappointed but I spent ages reading the poo poo out of that thing and getting hyped.
Checking out those "How to Win at Nintendo Games" books at the public library to read about all the games I'll never play. Being poor FTW

I once bought the NES game "Time Lord" because the description in the book sounded so cool. It was not.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

the weirdest game my parents ever bought me unsolicited was Pikmin

crazy to think I'd have remained completely ignorant of Pikmin if they hadn't

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
Best unsolicited game was the metal slug anthology, I hadn't ever really posted any of them before and was obviously missing out.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Pollyanna posted:

Nobody dare tell me anything.

I'm trying to imagine in what order you did the routes. Post a little chart when you finish about what order you got what endings in

untzthatshit
Oct 27, 2007

Snit Snitford

Our first console was the n64 we got for christmas in like '97 or '98 I think. Up until then my only exposure to video games was playing super mario world on my older cousins snes. With the n64 my parents got mario 64 and ocarina of time. For the first month all i played was mario because i had never heard of "zelda" and i thought it looked weird. And it definitely was the first time i tried it out. (Wtf theres no jump button?). But that ended up being my all time favourite video game so it worked out well in the end! I just remember being so baffled initally when i thought all video games were like 2d mario and then suddenly theres this game w npcs, inventory, a story etc. It was very eye opening.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Help me out thread. I'm trying to find the Vita case that gives me actual R2/L2 buttons. But being that I'm in the States and international shipping is a shitshow, I'm trying to find one in the US and I'm not having any luck. Anyone got any leads?

Also, Vita!

Edit: Nevermind!

Bad Video Games fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Apr 5, 2021

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

:siren: Massive Somnium Files spoilers! :siren:

:laffo: What an ending sequence. No better way to go out than with a dance party.

I saw that “Your eyes have been opened” at the end. Sus.

Someone said there was a major meta twist. I’d like exactly one hint: what part of the game should I be in next?

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

I'm trying to imagine in what order you did the routes. Post a little chart when you finish about what order you got what endings in

- Iris
- Ota
- Mizuki
- Annihilation
- Resolution

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

Relax Or DIE posted:

thread question: if you were lucky enough to have parents try to buy you games that weren't just the ones you asked for, what were the best/worst/weirdest ones you ended up with?

I was really young so my memory is hazy about this, but there was one day where my mom had taken me to the store and she ran back in to get something, and she came out with four NES games. I think they were Zelda, Zelda 2, Final Fantasy and Firehawk. It was nuts, I think a store was going out of business or something. We weren’t rich but my mom has always been good at finding and capitalizing on deals. It was a double edged sword though because it basically meant I started my gaming career with a backlog. I never beat any of those games but it gave me a lifelong love of Final Fantasy games.

The worst gaming purchase that wasn’t a surprise gift and something I actually picked out for myself was Deadly Towers. Jesus, what a disappointment. I was definitely snookered by the box’s copy involving different bosses and equipment, but in execution it was a (famously) total mess.

Repeatedly because I think this was at the same Electronic Boutique years later, I made the decision t to purchase Secret of Evermore over The Twisted Tales of Spike McFang. Evermore wound up being one of the first RPGs I beat, closely tied with Super Mario RPG. I am still really fond of it, and later I played Spike McFang on an emulator just to know I didn’t miss out on a gem (it’s neat but no contest).

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
What were VG's thoughts on the Frigid Outskirts

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

FirstAidKite posted:

Ha he decided not to even check it out after disliking the other two co op zones

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
that is the best possible move

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
you can't say you know dark souls 2 if you haven't experienced the horse tundra

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

So it took me all day, but the Vita is finally hacked, downgraded to 3.60 for permanent softmod and SD2Vita configured and working. But drat is it a bitch to have to move files through FTP or copy and delete through Vita Shell. I already miss the PSP's completely open filesystem once you plug it into your computer. Also lol the only actual Vita game on my Vita is Persona 4 Golden. Everything else is a PSX, PSP, GBA or Sega CD game.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Regy Rusty posted:

Ha he decided not to even check it out after disliking the other two co op zones

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

FirstAidKite posted:

Regy Rusty posted:

Yeah, the co-op stuff was not really too interesting sadly. However, I did everything else (even DarkLurker though it was hair raising and I got a double kill with my last hit!) and I felt such intense and incredible joy that it ranks up there as one of my most accomplished moments.

The whole day felt incredible :D I actually beat Dark Souls II! I did everything I set out to do today!

Aava, Sir Alonne, Royal Rat Authority, Dark Lurker, DLC3 and the final main boss!

I had some intense and incredible moments and I cannot sleep because it was so heart pumping :D Goodness!

Today was the best day :D

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

What is Nier Reincarnation? Was a new Nier announced when I wasn't paying attention?

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

The Skeleton King posted:

What is Nier Reincarnation? Was a new Nier announced when I wasn't paying attention?

It's a mobile "game/experience"

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

VideoGames posted:

Yeah, the co-op stuff was not really too interesting sadly. However, I did everything else (even DarkLurker though it was hair raising and I got a double kill with my last hit!) and I felt such intense and incredible joy that it ranks up there as one of my most accomplished moments.

The whole day felt incredible :D I actually beat Dark Souls II! I did everything I set out to do today!

Aava, Sir Alonne, Royal Rat Authority, Dark Lurker, DLC3 and the final main boss!

I had some intense and incredible moments and I cannot sleep because it was so heart pumping :D Goodness!

I cannot stress how important it is that you march right back to DLC3, climb into that coffin, and go explore so you can experience the Frigid Outskirts.

Don't even bother with trying to beat it if you're not having fun with it, but definitely at least go there and run around for a bit.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I gotta say I'm not a fan of when games make you name the main character without a default

I'm not this video game character. I'm nothing like them. Stop trying to get me to use my name for someone who's nothing like me

I understand that some people really get a kick out of that, to the point where they'll refuse to play games where the main character isn't customizable to resemble them at least in gender if not more than that, but I really would like it if there were also defaults for people like me who would much rather control a character than try to immerse fully in it being myself in the fiction

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

cheetah7071 posted:

I gotta say I'm not a fan of when games make you name the main character without a default

I'm not this video game character. I'm nothing like them. Stop trying to get me to use my name for someone who's nothing like me

I understand that some people really get a kick out of that, to the point where they'll refuse to play games where the main character isn't customizable to resemble them at least in gender if not more than that, but I really would like it if there were also defaults for people like me who would much rather control a character than try to immerse fully in it being myself in the fiction

Same.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

cheetah7071 posted:

Random name generators are good for that, I never try to recreate myself in games though I'll use "Kite" as a default not because I'm trying to immerse myself but just as an easy pick if the game doesn't have a default or doesn't have a name generator.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I have named a character “Pissbaby” multiple times.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

cheetah7071 posted:

Agreed. Link is Link, Cloud is Cloud and so on. I do have a couple of names I default to, but those are names from books I have enjoyed.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

cheetah7071 posted:

I did always appreciate the mother series for making you name the main character, and then later on making you name the player.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Link is Lonk

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Naming the main character of Persona after yourself has a pretty good payoff near the very end where the main character gets to have a conversation with the "You"

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Just name every character Edge Maverick nothing is topping that name.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

what if it doesn't fit and you're stuck with Edgema

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Gaius Marius posted:

Naming the main character of Persona after yourself has a pretty good payoff near the very end where the main character gets to have a conversation with the "You"

Reminds me of Earthbound

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

i agree but with the exception of games that actually do something with the idea. like i think undertale would be a worse game if it gave you a default name to use for the fallen child

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

I like to name them Ramza because I want to play another FFT game

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

The Skeleton King posted:

it's a mobile game that is apparently set in the Nier universe but is not, like, a sequel to automata or anything; theyve said it will have ties to the rest of the franchise but that it 'is more text-heavy than the other games' which makes it seem like it might be closer to stuff like Another Eden, which is basically a singleplayer RPG that just also has gacha monetization to keep the game running

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
What was the first game you were really proud of beating (without outside help)? For me it was wizardry 6. My mum played all the CRPGs that exist, and all the Sierra games, and I would always play the RPGs for like, 3 hours, mostly just making my party, and give up, but wizardry 6 was so hecking rad I made maps on graph paper and carefully min maxed my party of samurai cat man, badass human valkyrie girl, ninja fairy girl, wise elf bishop dude, and uh... I think a bard, because bards are mandatory, and... um... a fairy wizard?

Anyway I was like 8 and felt really smart :cool:

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

Gaius Marius posted:

My P5 vanilla playthrough I named the character Akira Kurusu because that was what they were names in the manga before Ren became the canon name

Then my roommate named their character DICKN BALLS

So my Royal character is named DICKN BALLS 2 and sometimes gets called BALLS 2-senpai

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

VideoGames posted:

Congrats!

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I like making fake names. Persona 5 Joker was named Keiichi Kikuchi and Persona 4 guy was Isao Ehara

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

VideoGames posted:

Congratulations! Those aren't easy bosses to take down, either!

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Thinking this evening about picking up Outriders

Seems like my jam - sci fi, looter shooter, neat abilities with shorter cooldowns than e.g. Destiny - but thread opinions seem somewhat mixed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Ciaphas posted:

Thinking this evening about picking up Outriders

Seems like my jam - sci fi, looter shooter, neat abilities with shorter cooldowns than e.g. Destiny - but thread opinions seem somewhat mixed

they've had a pretty rough launch with servers being down a lot. i haven't put much time into it yet cause i been playing monster hunter and D&D most of the weekend but from the demo and what i have played it is pretty fun