Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

mandatory lesbian posted:

this seems off since tbh i thought it was pretty fun to draft. might just be in comparison to the utter crap that was return of avacyn

triple innestrad is generally regarded as one of the greatest limited formats ever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
There were a lot of clunkers around that time period though, especially since in a lot of cases you had the small/small/big setup which generally sucked. Dark Ascension was much worse than triple Innistrad for example. Scars of Mirrodon block was merely ok, Return to Ravnica was pretty bad. I think they just got lucky for the most part

Also I think a lot of people get nostalgic about old draft formats but recent formats are in general way way better - Invasion/Planeshift/Apocalypse and original Ravnica are both held up as great but going back to them now generally ends with with the thought that "this isn't as good as I remember".

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Paul Zuvella posted:

triple innestrad is generally regarded as one of the greatest limited formats ever

lol it sounds like the draft testers are hack

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

MikeCrotch posted:

Also I think a lot of people get nostalgic about old draft formats but recent formats are in general way way better - Invasion/Planeshift/Apocalypse and original Ravnica are both held up as great but going back to them now generally ends with with the thought that "this isn't as good as I remember".

We really are in the golden age of limited, yeah. They really dont print all that many bad cards anymore, and its made limited so much better. And that's with me regarding Kaldheim as kind of crap.

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Of the ones I've played:

ZNR > WAR > ELD = TBD = IKO > M21 = KLD > RNA >> GRN

Didn't play enough of AKR or KDR to develop a thorough opinion. I'd like to play DOM and M20 some day because I heard those were good too. Also I hope to some day draft one of the supposed classics like Lorwyn or Innistrad so I can kind of get a feel for where they sit alongside recent draft formats.

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

agreed that newer formats are way better in general but my biggest pet peeve with going back to older formats is that so many of the evaluations and interactions change from what they were when the format was live because there's no more damage on the stack. i have a huge soft spot for onslaught/legions/scourge because its what i played when i was a big modo grinder but its a completely unplayable format under modern rules. big F for my boy wall of deceit

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

The best draft format ever was Mirrodin/Mirrodin/Legions. Two packs of busted cards and then enough creatures to fill out a deck because Mirrodin was so creature-light

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese
The last "bad" set was what, Zendika Rising? That was mediocre more than bad. Maybe like Battle for Zendikar or something? One of the core sets?

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese

Shrecknet posted:

The best draft format ever was Mirrodin/Mirrodin/Legions. Two packs of busted cards and then enough creatures to fill out a deck because Mirrodin was so creature-light

Do you mean Mirrodon/Mirrodon/Darksteel?

TheLoser
Apr 1, 2011

You make my korokoro go dokidoki.
I'll always be fond of the early period in triple Khans before most people realized how chaotic you could get with 4-5 color decks.

That might have more to do with that being the time I played the most Magic, though.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

3x Coldsnap was easily the dumbest normal draft format I've ever played. Nothing else comes close.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Fire whatever reason we did 3x dark ascension and I managed to get two Lost in the Woods.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Innistrad was when I started drafting, and it was a blast. The archetypes did a great job of telling a story, since most decks used either Humans deck or a specific type of monster.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

The Shortest Path posted:

3x Coldsnap was easily the dumbest normal draft format I've ever played. Nothing else comes close.
Oh come on it wasn't that bad.

/casts 6 Surging Dementia on turn 2

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

If you ended up with all of a ripple card in your pod or all of one of the cards that gets bigger the more you have in your graveyard you could do some very silly things. And then like a third of the cards in the set were actively bad to play. Such a terrible format.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
The worst part about the ripple cards was that if you passed them you were almost assuredly passing them to someone with >1 of them, but if you took one and didn't see any more then you took a pretty mediocre at best card. And of course the more you had the better they were. I remember one draft I got like 8 of the white one and 3-0'd it just by going "tap out to play surging sentinels, flip my deck to barf out 7 more and stack my deck, oh you're scooping? That's legit" several times. But if you weren't doing SurgingWhatever.dec you were probably just sitting around for 6+ turns trying to build a board that could break your opponent's also-stalled-out board.

I have yet to meet anyone who liked cold snap at all for any reason.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese
The Resleevables on it is a blast

PSullys main take is "who asked for this?" which about sums it up

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese
Wrong thread

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Yawgmoth posted:

I have yet to meet anyone who liked cold snap at all for any reason.
Coldsnap leagues were fun in this hilarious meta way where by the end almost all decks were Auroches. Slowly, inevitably, auroches.

But yes that format is insanely awful. Still better than Ice/Home/Alli though.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

The Klowner posted:

Of the ones I've played:

ZNR > WAR > ELD = TBD = IKO > M21 = KLD > RNA >> GRN

Didn't play enough of AKR or KDR to develop a thorough opinion. I'd like to play DOM and M20 some day because I heard those were good too. Also I hope to some day draft one of the supposed classics like Lorwyn or Innistrad so I can kind of get a feel for where they sit alongside recent draft formats.

Guilds is one of the best draft formats ever, you're out of your mind

kurona_bright
Mar 21, 2013
Wasn’t green like distinctly worse than the other colors in GRN, to the point where selesnya was straight up the worst guild to draft?
I feel like that was a thing

I think GRN was okay to draft. I liked Eldraine (non-bot-draft version) and Theros more, I think

kurona_bright fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Apr 4, 2021

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Silhouette posted:

Guilds is one of the best draft formats ever, you're out of your mind

kurona_bright posted:

Wasn’t green like distinctly worse than the other colors in GRN, to the point where selesnya was straight up the worst guild to draft?
I feel like that was a thing

I think GRN was okay to draft. I liked Eldraine (non-bot-draft version) and Theros more, I think

Selesnya was the worst guild but there were enough strong cards for it to be worth when it was open.

I feel like a lot of formats from that era are unfairly judged due to arena bot drafts being people's only point of reference.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
From what I can tell the priced Convoke cards as if we were still in original Rav block while the average power level of draft cards has gone up since then.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

whydirt posted:

From what I can tell the priced Convoke cards as if we were still in original Rav block while the average power level of draft cards has gone up since then.

Yea siege wurm was a straight reprint right? and it sucked rear end. The 4/4 vigi convoke was real good though

Mae
Aug 1, 2010

Supesudandi wa, kukan-nai no dandidesu

There's only a couple of sets in recent memory that I've hard grinded on Arena - Guilds (awesome), Ikoria (which really clicked with me, it was really easy to make a deck that felt sick in that format), and Eldraine, which in retrospect kinda stunk but had some fun archetypes

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I think it's crazy that spoilers started like last week and is already fully spoiled. Next month spoiler begins again with mh2, lol.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

HootTheOwl posted:

I think it's crazy that spoilers started like last week and is already fully spoiled. Next month spoiler begins again with mh2, lol.

I know I enjoyed 4 months of nothing but Zendikar and then 4 new sets in 5 months

When they cared about MTGO and had the Modern flashback drafts, I went through every single format. The best of those being, IMO:

INNx3
RAVx3
LRWx3
TSPx3
SHMx3

three big was always better before adding the smaller sets.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Ikoria before the companion nerf was nuts because there were these absolutely unmatched bombs that could shape your whole deck. It was a lot of fun to get a Companion and build your deck around it, but playing against it always felt like your opponent was cheating.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Ravnica and Time Spiral both owned super hard.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

I know it's not amazing, but I still love Ixalan as a set. Big Dino good.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

Windmill slamming a Carnage Tyrant was always extremely satisfying

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc
Hard to imagine a world anymore where carney t was a good card. A win condition that you hard casted, even!

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
here's a big ol image going over all the cycles

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

I guess this is probably every limited format, but 3x innistrad was an amazing format to chain- draft one after another. It was a really good mix of most archetypes being deep and viable, and having unique rares and uncommons that kept it fresh and addicting.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

MikeCrotch posted:

Do you mean Mirrodon/Mirrodon/Darksteel?

No, I meant what I said. In 2002, it wasn't weird to have access to packs from the two most recent in-print blocks, and Legions' whole gimmick was "every card is a creature, and most have morph" and Mirrodin's whole schtick was "cool broken artifacts and spells oops we forgot to print enough creatures in this set to support a draft environment!" so adding 15 middling-to-good (at the time) creatures that were almost all morph creatures so they were gray ogres at worst was the fix to trying to draft triple Mirrodin.

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Apr 5, 2021

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

little munchkin posted:

Selesnya was the worst guild but there were enough strong cards for it to be worth when it was open.

I feel like a lot of formats from that era are unfairly judged due to arena bot drafts being people's only point of reference.

I played GRN and RNA a few months ago when they were available on arena with human drafts. The latter was not impressive and the former straight up sucked.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
BFZ was the last really bad forma. There’s formats that aren’t great, there’s formats that are boring, but you have to work to reach BFZ/AVR levels.

I think one of the big contributing factors was that both sets had a color completely collapse—black in AVR and green in BFZ were both straight-up undraftable unless you were literally the only person drafting them, and you got lucky with what got opened. And I want to stress the “literally” there. That isn’t really hyperbole.

I drafted way too much AVR, which had the compounding issue of only really having two other archetypes—WR and UG, and the WR deck was wildly inconsistent. Going UG with flicker and partner was by far the best thing you could be doing. The removal was so bad that you really couldn’t kill a partnered creature. So just flicker Mist Raven instead.

BFZ, as far as I can remember, mostly had the issue of being boring. The Eldrazi deck wouldn’t really take off until the next set, and... I don’t really remember the other stuff going on. I remember the white retreat being good, and spells that could kicker animate your lands were kind of neat.

Overall it’s a lot harder to recover from a chunk of the set being way too weak than it is to recover from an archetype being too strong—looking at you, RW cycling in Ikoria.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
3 x BFZ was bad, but boy did I ever win a poo poo load of packs forcing devoid and had a lot of fun doing it.

I didn’t get to draft innistrad enough because I was just coming back to mtg at the time. Format was fun as hell and I’d love to do it again. DKA did change the draft format and not for the better. If you draft that again leave it out.

Raise of the Eldrazi draft is another format I wish I could draft, but never had the chance to do so. Watched a ton of cfb draft videos on it though.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
I have a hard time accepting people didn’t like Guilds as a draft archetype but it may be that I just like being Boros turning creatures sideways and that was an incredibly effective strategy for it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

HootTheOwl posted:

Strixhaven is fully spoiled, but spoilers aren't over yet I don't think. There's still another product released this month to be spoiled.

Also I think there's a secret lair hinted at being between those two and MH2.