Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Also, play with other people!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth

SynthesisAlpha posted:

1) Turn off anything you hate: Infernal mobs are in so disable the shittiest mods (all the reflecting ones), or turn them off altogether. Disable machines exploding if you don't want one gently caress up to cost you your base. Pollution is mildly interesting at best and loving awful at worst and can cause a lot of lag. I turn keep inventory on because infernal mobs and turn off mob griefing because a stray creeper can cost you 12 hours of gameplay in an instant.

How do I go ahead and do that?

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

:\Users\[your name here]\Twitch\Minecraft\Instances\GT New Horizons\mods

delete the Infernal Mobs .jar

:\Users\[your name here]\Twitch\Minecraft\Instances\GT New Horizons\config\GregTech\gregtech.cfg

change whatever booleans you want to change under "machines"; ctrl-f for rain_causes_explosions

e: poo poo, just realised i moved from twitch to the overwolf client. you might have stuff in a different location. just search for gregtech.cfg to get the location i guess

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
And how do I disable mob griefing? I've got the rest done.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Make sure cheats enabled on world creation, then put "/gamerule mobGriefing false" in your chat

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth

StealthArcher posted:

Make sure cheats enabled on world creation, then put "/gamerule mobGriefing false" in your chat

Thank You!

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
How do I cheat in a prospectors scanner in GT:NH?

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

Mycroft Holmes posted:

How do I cheat in a prospectors scanner in GT:NH?

In NEI's options menu you have to turn on cheat mode and set it to world in the top right. Then instead of pulling up the recipe when you click on something you'll just grab one. Get the ULV one and it will last until the heat death of the universe.

Which means you'll be about halfway done with the pack by then!

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Freedom! I Escaped!

I finished compact claustrophobia except for the "challenges" page which is more of a victory lap because isn't really doing anything new, just scaling up what you're already doing.

A++ pack, would play something like that again. The only thing I really ran into issues with was the reactor (obviously, thanks for the help wolfsbane) and not figuring out how to make experience until way after it would have been useful. It would have been really cool had the quest book said something like "Experience is hard to come by, but you can throw it by the bottle if you check out lapis in a insightful condenser!" and it is the #1 tip I'd mention to people looking to play. Most of the other questbook tips were pretty helpful and while I probably would have organized it slightly differently, the gating was well designed and the pacing/unlocks/progression was consistently good and the difficulty was right in line with what I was looking for.

It's crazy how good thermal foundation is, really just an all around fantastic mod to hang a pack on and stands out in nearly every way even after all these years. The pack also had a few "optional mods", specifically open computers (unneeded with building gadgets) and arguably glacticraft since it only comes into it's own after you "escape" and has stub quests to see moon and mars and bring back a little soil. So you have to build a rocket but since you're post-scarcity with everything automated by time you unlock it completing it is fairly trivial, but I guess is cool if you want to explore the mod. I might have been more enthused had "escape" not been the target objective of the pack and there were more quests attached to going to other planets, like a new objective to "find the base of the person who trapped you" or some such.

Integrated dynamics was another optional mod that I wanted to call out because it especially felt like a black sheep as other mods achieved similar solutions earlier/better/simpler as it wasn't quest gated and you didn't unlock it until you were very very late into the pack. You also didn't need it's functionality to complete any quests or automate anything easier. Also, the mod itself (after googling around) seems to just make things harder and is annoying for no good reason. I think one of the reddit comments put it best: "I love Integrated Dynamics, but nothing tends to be "easy" with it. This is certainly possible, but takes a little work."

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Mar 30, 2021

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
i dont know how active this is but might as well try:

A friend from an old community sent me a dm with a strange request. Some dudes have been tracking down players from around the 2009 era. They are trying to archive as many old versions of minecraft as they can. Since i played the very first demos before there was an infdev version (hell, even an "indev" version), he asked if he could have my contact info, which my friend obliged. I checked in my folders and my oldest minecraft.jar dates to 2011.

I dunno why but i kinda want to help him out at least by asking here. does anyone have older versions archived in any way? I assume if anyone holds old archaic poo poo its something awful goons, so any help would probably be very welcome by those dudes.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

ArfJason posted:

i dont know how active this is but might as well try:

A friend from an old community sent me a dm with a strange request. Some dudes have been tracking down players from around the 2009 era. They are trying to archive as many old versions of minecraft as they can. Since i played the very first demos before there was an infdev version (hell, even an "indev" version), he asked if he could have my contact info, which my friend obliged. I checked in my folders and my oldest minecraft.jar dates to 2011.

I dunno why but i kinda want to help him out at least by asking here. does anyone have older versions archived in any way? I assume if anyone holds old archaic poo poo its something awful goons, so any help would probably be very welcome by those dudes.

MultiMC claims to be able to pull hundreds of versions of minecraft. Try seeing if it can pull the old versions?

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

MultiMC claims to be able to pull hundreds of versions of minecraft. Try seeing if it can pull the old versions?

thanks either way mate.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

:rip:

Depends
May 6, 2006
no.

Bhodi posted:

Integrated dynamics was another optional mod that I wanted to call out because it especially felt like a black sheep as other mods achieved similar solutions earlier/better/simpler as it wasn't quest gated and you didn't unlock it until you were very very late into the pack. You also didn't need it's functionality to complete any quests or automate anything easier. Also, the mod itself (after googling around) seems to just make things harder and is annoying for no good reason. I think one of the reddit comments put it best: "I love Integrated Dynamics, but nothing tends to be "easy" with it. This is certainly possible, but takes a little work."

ID does so many things, it might not always do them the best for the situation but it'll for sure let you do things as fiddly as you'd like to. It can read NBT and act on what it reads so it lets you easily automate things that might normally take a lot more effort or guesswork to automate.
It can be difficult to figure out ways to do things sometimes and it's not always very intuitive but once I actually made myself figure out how to use it I miss it when it's not in a pack.

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012
Tinkerer’s Construct now has a version out for 1.16.5. I know there was already tetra and silent, but TC is still a comforting friend.

I do wonder how long it will take the dev(s) to get to phase 4 of their roadmap, because that looks to be the armor part.

Bann
Jan 14, 2019

Another expert pack worth a look is FTB Interactions. I liked it when it initially came out, but the 2.0 you can really feel the care and polish. My impression of FTB:I is that its like someone wanted to make a 1.12 version of GTNH that wants they player(s) to succeed. It's still a long term expert quest based pack framed around Gregtech. It's first gimmick is that you start in a skyblock, and your first few sessions will have you learning the ropes and amassing some resources before you construct a portal to the overworld.

I think the way the pack handles ore generation/detection really illustrates the polish. Ore generation is standard GTNH (massive veins that occur in specific biomes.) In this instance, specific flowers grow on the surface over veins. Additionally, there is a basic scanner that is trivial to create. Someone early steam age/after a few mining trips, you can complete a quest that gives you a strong drill that can mow through rock and be repaired by exp.

If you interested in learning more, Kharax82 has an active lp series going on youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uR8GyKYMtcU

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Bann posted:

Another expert pack worth a look is FTB Interactions. I liked it when it initially came out, but the 2.0 you can really feel the care and polish. My impression of FTB:I is that its like someone wanted to make a 1.12 version of GTNH that wants they player(s) to succeed. It's still a long term expert quest based pack framed around Gregtech. It's first gimmick is that you start in a skyblock, and your first few sessions will have you learning the ropes and amassing some resources before you construct a portal to the overworld.

Is there a way to get the 2.0+ version without installing the FTB Overwolf app? Can't seem to find a download link that can be used with MultiMC.

Bann
Jan 14, 2019

I was not able to get a current version working in MultiMC. I went as to download the most recent version available on MultiMC, then manually copy what I thought all the relevant files over from my current instance from the overwolf/FTB launcher. I could get my world to load, but it seemed to shove it back in to the 1.9whatever version - there were missing entities and the questbook was the pre-2.0 version. In the end, I gritted my teeth and used the FTB launcher. If someone with more savvy can get a current version running in MultiMC, I'd love to hear about it as well.

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T
I was able to grab it just now using MultiMC on the Development update channel, selecting FTB from Add Instance and it installed just fine. Running MultiMC 0.6.12-develop-1493.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I just hit LV in GTNH after slowly making my way through Steam Tier. I also saved up a bunch of Steam loot bags and converted them to LV tier, so I have a few extra electronic components that I don't have to craft now, and a golden lasso! That'll definitely come in handy.

I'm glad I didn't give up on the pack when I thought I was going to, because Steam was really the first time where I was starting to see ways to increase my component gains, such as the forge hammer, or using the macerator to slowly double my iron. Honestly, what I'm really looking for right now is somewhere to put all my creosote because I can't use it fast enough to keep my coke oven generating coal coke for steel production, but that might change as I get into LV, who knows.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

FPzero posted:

I just hit LV in GTNH after slowly making my way through Steam Tier. I also saved up a bunch of Steam loot bags and converted them to LV tier, so I have a few extra electronic components that I don't have to craft now, and a golden lasso! That'll definitely come in handy.

I'm glad I didn't give up on the pack when I thought I was going to, because Steam was really the first time where I was starting to see ways to increase my component gains, such as the forge hammer, or using the macerator to slowly double my iron. Honestly, what I'm really looking for right now is somewhere to put all my creosote because I can't use it fast enough to keep my coke oven generating coal coke for steel production, but that might change as I get into LV, who knows.

Creosote is an excellent fuel for a liquid fueled railcraft boiler. 10 coke ovens burning wood can power a 2x2x2 low pressure boiler indefinitely. Just make sure pollution is off because they are smoggy bastards. Save the charcoal or melt it into wood tar and save that -- in MV you can distill it into benzene. I STILL use a lot of benzene power, even now that I'm in IV.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Yeah creosote is TERRIBLE in diesel generators but is excellent in railcraft boilers. LV is really fun because every new machine you produce feels amazing. Bending machine for 1:1 plates! Wiremill for 1:2 wires! Centrifuge for tons of sticky resin from rubber wood! Chemical reactor + Fluid Soldifier to get 9 rubber sheets for 1 sulfur (which is 6 times more efficient than before!)

LV tier is nice and linear in that you are always making brand new machines and it culminates in your big beautiful Electric Blast Furnace that you look at and how "how the gently caress will I ever power this thing". (My solution is usually a pair of 4x battery buffers and I only run it a couple processes at a time and let it refill while I do other things. I HATE scaling up steam power so always limp along until MV and immediately diversify into Biodiesel and Benzene).

Also make a Tool Forge if you haven't and get a Lumber Axe! 2x2 Spruce or jungle trees + Netherrack lumber axe gets you an inventory full of wood in a couple minutes to feed your hungry coke ovens.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

SynthesisAlpha posted:

Also make a Tool Forge if you haven't and get a Lumber Axe! 2x2 Spruce or jungle trees + Netherrack lumber axe gets you an inventory full of wood in a couple minutes to feed your hungry coke ovens.

Why netherrack specifically? I made a general purpose lumber axe out of steel and other Reinforced materials but I'm curious if netherrack has a specific property I'm overlooking. Unless it's just because it's cheap to repair or something.

Also, the sheer amount of things available in LV from the start is a bit overwhelming. I think I'll go mining for a while to grab some more copper, tin, and iron, and think about where to start. The Wiremill seems like a good first one.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
Tinker tools get harder to repair every time you repair them, capping out at half efficiency. Any tool that uses a lot of durability will eventually start sucking up a noticable amount of materials to repair. Excavators and Lumber Axes are the worst offenders; Hammers have a durability multiplier that makes up for it mostly, and you're more likely to slap a bunch of reinforcement on a hammer to make it last longer.

Because of this, you should absolutely definitely use easy-access materials for excavators and lumber axes. Iron and steel are NOT easy enough to come by to use for this. Netherrack is the easiest material to get that works as a tool head, and you really won't care about the lower mining speed on lumber axes or excavators. It's not the end of the world if you want to keep tossing iron at those tools but it's really not worth it IMO.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Yeah netherrack is just cheap and available and has very low xp requirements to level. I didn't mention the full process: chop chop chop until you have 6 modifier slots. Then you put on a nice axe head, an obsidian binding, and a thaumium tool rod. That gives you natural reinforced 3 and an extra mod slot. You slap 7 obsidian large plates on for 7 more levels of reinforced. You now have an unbreakable lumber axe.

Why does this matter? The enderio farming station is an excellent autofarmer that will spit out egregious amounts of wood off a single ordo infused solar panel (or like, one of turbine running off a handful of steel solar boilers). It needs an axe to function and damages the axe as it operates, though. Unbreakable lumber axe solves that!

Doesn't work for hammers unless you're willing to chew up the nether for a few hours because of mining levels and hammer only breaks 9 blocks vs a couple hundred for a big tree.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

The Twilight Forest is an excellent place to level a lumber axe.

If you want to farm trees, though, definitely swap to the forestry multifarm as soon as you're able. You need U238 tubes to farm bonsai trees, which you can get as a byproduct from processing thorium ore from the nether. While oak bonsais are technically ic2 crops (BOOOOOOO), they require none of the finicky breeding and marshaling of seeds -- just plop a vanilla sapling on one of its crop sticks and you're good to go. (Don't leave vacant crop sticks or it'll spawn weeds.)

The farms can be, uh, massive.

This is half of what it could be.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Mining levels and tool use XP for tinker tools are incredibly not fun and any pack that adds them has done so in poor judgement. Even by the standards of packs renowned for the grind, it's an utterly shameless grind, with no redeeming features. You either find a way to exploit/break it or you slog through it.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Vib Rib posted:

Mining levels and tool use XP for tinker tools are incredibly not fun and any pack that adds them has done so in poor judgement. Even by the standards of packs renowned for the grind, it's an utterly shameless grind, with no redeeming features. You either find a way to exploit/break it or you slog through it.

I just play the pack normally and the tools leveling up trigger dopamine hits that encourage me to play more. No need to 'exploit' the 'grind'.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Vib Rib posted:

Yeah, the early game of GTNH has some of this. It trails off pretty fast, though — you get access to automated mining as early as LV (though the mining pipes take a lot of steel and it’s slow — at MV+ it is a lot more viable.) The example given up thread — grinding out an unbreakable lumber axe — is only relevant for EnderIO farming stations, which you can either A) skip in favor of Steve’s Carts or Forestry, or 2) just ignore and occasionally repair/replace a breakable one sometimes.

I’m at IV in GTNH and I still use the same vanadiumsteel pick I made in MV, because you just don’t have to dig hole all that much later on.

Dr. Chainsaws PhD
May 21, 2011

are there any decent kitchen sink modpacks that can work with only 8GB of RAM? preferably with lots of Items and Progression™ but not like a full on expert mode pack

last time i got into modded minecraft it seemed all the big'un packs were all for 16GB and up

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Dr. Chainsaws PhD posted:

are there any decent kitchen sink modpacks that can work with only 8GB of RAM? preferably with lots of Items and Progression™ but not like a full on expert mode pack

last time i got into modded minecraft it seemed all the big'un packs were all for 16GB and up

No specific recommendation but you can get away with more if you stay with older Minecraft versions. I think 1.8.9 is where it got gobbly with RAM. Of course you can run newer packs but not with the kind of kitchen sink excessiveness you're wanting.

Dr. Chainsaws PhD
May 21, 2011

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

No specific recommendation but you can get away with more if you stay with older Minecraft versions. I think 1.8.9 is where it got gobbly with RAM. Of course you can run newer packs but not with the kind of kitchen sink excessiveness you're wanting.

yeah i’ve definitely played one of the 1.12 enigmatica packs on my laptop before and the only problem it had was occasional temporary freezes and also newer versions of opengl didn’t work with that laptop’s cpu so i got missing polygons in some places. i’ve been playing some FTB pack focused on projecte (i can say that right? surely that beef has died down by now?) and it’s ok but a bit slow going. but that might just be working ok bc i’m still in a void world

here’s a better request: what’s a good light kitchen sink pack focused on tech and also teaching you how to be nice and minmax-y with em

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
I'm having trouble finding iron in GT:NH. I've got an ore scanner, but all the colors it uses makes it hard to distinguish iron from other metals.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Mycroft Holmes posted:

I'm having trouble finding iron in GT:NH. I've got an ore scanner, but all the colors it uses makes it hard to distinguish iron from other metals.

Eh? Are you looking for regular iron ore or just iron in general?
Iron can be gotten from Yellow/Brown Limonite, Magnetite, Granitic/Basaltic Mineral Sand, Pyrite, and of course Iron ore. Iron ore spawns in Magnetite veins.

To find out what vein any particular ore block spawns in, use NEI. Left click on the block in NEI or press R on it.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007

Mycroft Holmes posted:

So there are two main iron veins, limonite and pyrite. Limonite generates as brown & yellow limonite, banded iron, and malachite. Pyrite includes chalcopyrite, copper, and iron.

So you want a yellow green and brown mess, or an orange brown and grey mess. Because each vein generates with 3 or 4 specific ore types you can eventually differentiate once you know the distributions.

More specifically each vein has a top, middle, bottom, and scattered component. So you get chalcopyrite on top, pyrite middle, iron bottom, and copper rarely throughout. That can affect how a vein appears on the scanner because you might be looking for the bottom ore and it only peeks through a little.

Edit: bah forgot the mineral sands veins! I am shamed.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

If you cheated in a high-tech scanner, the preview versions (I’m on 2.1.0.3) have an upgrade for the scanner that darkens the background color of the UI, letting you see things like tin or iron that are a similar color as the background. Left click once to filter the display to a particular ore type on the right, double left click to darken the background.

Sailor Dave
Sep 19, 2013

Dr. Chainsaws PhD posted:

You can get away with it by using a virtual memory pagefile which is what I do since I also only have 8GB of RAM, but that may increase the initial loading time since accessing memory on the drive is a lot slower, though I have mine on an NVMe m.2 drive which may make it faster. I just have mine set to 20GB so I never have to worry about it since I have the space (and I tend to have stuff running in the background.) It does allow me to play the big modpacks though, and it's pretty smooth once you actually get ingame, which is good enough for me.

Dr. Chainsaws PhD
May 21, 2011

Sailor Dave posted:

You can get away with it by using a virtual memory pagefile which is what I do since I also only have 8GB of RAM, but that may increase the initial loading time since accessing memory on the drive is a lot slower, though I have mine on an NVMe m.2 drive which may make it faster. I just have mine set to 20GB so I never have to worry about it since I have the space (and I tend to have stuff running in the background.) It does allow me to play the big modpacks though, and it's pretty smooth once you actually get ingame, which is good enough for me.

oh neat! i remember hearing that trying to use virtual memory would either cause mc to run unbearably slow or crash, but then again i think that was back when using virtual memory on an SSD was also a bad idea due to wear

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
In GT:NH, how do I get oreberries to grow?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Mycroft Holmes posted:

In GT:NH, how do I get oreberries to grow?

They need to be in the dark. Without a block of their requisite metal beneath them, they'll never reach full maturity, but you can pick them at the penultimate growth stage.

Don't go too hard in the paint on oreberries. You can get enough aluminium to stumble through to MV from ore gravel alone.