Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Cant wait to hear some really edgey and subversive adult oriented humor from the biggest mega monopoly on Earth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Close Enough season 2 continues to be really funny. I thought someone said they switched to 22 minute episodes though? All of these have been 11 minutes so far. It's still great though, you can always be certain that a mundane setup will go somewhere really really crazy.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
I think it's that season 1's episodes were written for 22 minutes then were forced to condense their stories to 11 while season 2 was written with the runtime in mind.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Fox doesn’t own American Dad any more since the move to TBS.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Anyone know when Primal’s second half is going up on HBOMax. I was super excited when I found AS’s poo poo on there, but a lot of the series are incomplete.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

The_Doctor posted:

Fox doesn’t own American Dad any more since the move to TBS.

Actually they still did(and thus Disney now owns it), TBS only bought the broadcasting rights for it

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

drrockso20 posted:

Actually they still did(and thus Disney now owns it), TBS only bought the broadcasting rights for it

Ohhh ok! Roger is a Disney Princess confirmed.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

The_Doctor posted:

Ohhh ok! Roger is a Disney Princess confirmed.

American Dad having a crossover with Lilo & Stitch would actually make more sense than most of the things that franchise had crossovers with during it's tv show

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

No.1 Special posted:

Birdgirl premiered tonight. It was okay for the most part. Curious to see how things shake out.

Same. The main red flag for me is the complete lack of Hanna Barberra characters. Making fun of HB properties was pretty much the entire point of the original so having them removed feels weird to me. It was just the pilot though so who knows what the future holds.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Well the new show is pretty obviously inspired by the original, not by the things that inspired the original. It’s an extended fanfiction AU.

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Apr 6, 2021

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I actually recently rediscovered American Dad and what's great about it after it was one more thing I just really didn't want to deal with with the looming trump administration to think about. It doesn't seem like they actually referenced it, but I didn't want to take the chance. So many comedians wanted to make Trump jokes but none of them could distract from the crushing bleakness of it.

I remember American Dad started as a half-baked satire of the W days, but it didn't really work well and only came into its own when they pushed the current politics to the background. They freed up Stan to be a more reasonable and occasionally sympathetic character instead of just an avatar of darkness, they let Haley develop into a character just trying to find her way in the world, and Francine and Steve could just get extremely weird. I'm glad that they didn't try to return to their roots.

No.1 Special posted:

Birdgirl premiered tonight. It was okay for the most part. Curious to see how things shake out.

How many Colberts are there?

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Zero

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

SlothfulCobra posted:

I actually recently rediscovered American Dad

We have a thread! Come join us, fellow Dadder!

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I was disappointed by Birdgirl's premier. At times it tries to slip back into the zany super fast paced groove of Harvey Birdman but none of these new side characters are as immediately appealing or funny as any of Harvey's ensemble cast. Far too much "plot" to get anywhere near the tone of the original show. The mile a minute sight gags are also gone.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
It’s crazy how many legendary comedies are so beloved in large part due to the simple combination of simple sight gags + high-density. Like you don’t need every joke to be New Yorker level brainiac discourse, you just need one humorous lyrical thread to weave through the episode while you just pepper your audience with something silly every 30 seconds.

When you watch a show like Harvey Birdman or Bojack Horseman, everyone at the water cooler notices a different background sight gag, which drives conversation and invites rewatches, which is how you create fandoms.

The verbal equivalent is probably Venture Bros, which employs a longform visual sight gag (the cast are all hilariously dressed caricatures) but the script is just bombing you with so many references that everyone gets something extra out of it, but we all get Orpheus allowing exactly one pudding before bed as a baseline.

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Apr 6, 2021

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

SlothfulCobra posted:

I actually recently rediscovered American Dad and what's great about it after it was one more thing I just really didn't want to deal with with the looming trump administration to think about. It doesn't seem like they actually referenced it, but I didn't want to take the chance. So many comedians wanted to make Trump jokes but none of them could distract from the crushing bleakness of it.

I remember American Dad started as a half-baked satire of the W days, but it didn't really work well and only came into its own when they pushed the current politics to the background. They freed up Stan to be a more reasonable and occasionally sympathetic character instead of just an avatar of darkness, they let Haley develop into a character just trying to find her way in the world, and Francine and Steve could just get extremely weird. I'm glad that they didn't try to return to their roots.

American Dad is my favorite adult cartoon currently airing, and arguably the best one out there. The show really found it's footing when they stopped doing political humor and moved more towards character driven comedy and magic realism.

They did exactly one episode based around the Trump administration: Railroaded, and it's one of the few parodies of Trump related things that manages to be funny (it helps that they don't actually show or mention Trump by name at all).

The_Doctor posted:

We have a thread! Come join us, fellow Dadder!

New episodes coming April 19th!

https://twitter.com/AmericanDadTBS/status/1352337714708963329?s=20

Anyway, about Birdgirl: It's....fine. Not great, not bad, just.....fine. I'm willing to give it a chance though, hopefully they'll do an American dad style finding their footing soon.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Bust Rodd posted:

It’s crazy how many legendary comedies are so beloved in large part due to the simple combination of simple sight gags + high-density. Like you don’t need every joke to be New Yorker level brainiac discourse, you just need one humorous lyrical thread to weave through the episode while you just pepper your audience with something silly every 30 seconds.

When you watch a show like Harvey Birdman or Bojack Horseman, everyone at the water cooler notices a different background sight gag, which drives conversation and invites rewatches, which is how you create fandoms.

The verbal equivalent is probably Venture Bros, which employs a longform visual sight gag (the cast are all hilariously dressed caricatures) but the script is just bombing you with so many references that everyone gets something extra out of it, but we all get Orpheus allowing exactly one pudding before bed as a baseline.

The "so fast-paced and joke-dense there's no way you can get it all in one viewing or with the subtitles off" style seems to have been a hallmark of 2000-2015 or so; I think things might be slowing down just a tad from the ATHF/Archer/Harvey Birdman/VB/Bojack heyday (though Big Mouth has the same kind of energy). Oddly, stuff like Final Space feels a bit more contemplative, if just because the (season-long) plots take longer to play out and feel like there's more story you ought to be paying attention to.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I think it’s a very deep “Golden Age Simpsons” thing.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Mm, maybe. I feel that since so many of those machine-gun-fire shows came out of the Adult Swim machine, they were trying to resonate with the late-teens-early-20s "lol stoned college kids" crowd of the 00's, not the nearly-30-somethings who had grown up on classic Simpsons.

I can't say whether that cohort actually has that much faster a sense of humor than the Simpsons-raised ones though, or if [as] just like ... assumed they did.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

With Birdgirl it feels like they're to go the Harley Quinn route. They've even got a green skinned lady with a similar design, to be the straight woman to Birdgirl's zany antics.
But Harley Quinn has super strong writing and is playing with all the things the audience already knows about the Batman universe. Birdgirl kind of has to make up a world to play around with and it's not doing so as effectively. But I'll watch a few episodes in the hopes it improves.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Data Graham posted:

Mm, maybe. I feel that since so many of those machine-gun-fire shows came out of the Adult Swim machine, they were trying to resonate with the late-teens-early-20s "lol stoned college kids" crowd of the 00's, not the nearly-30-somethings who had grown up on classic Simpsons.

I can't say whether that cohort actually has that much faster a sense of humor than the Simpsons-raised ones though, or if [as] just like ... assumed they did.

You think the stoned college kids of the 00s hadn't grown up on The Simpsons?

I think the problem is just more that rapid-fire comedy smoothly following plot threads while pelting you with references and gags is really hard to do, and takes a lot of effort and requires good delivery.

Slightly Absurd
Mar 22, 2004

I feel like Birdgirl's got some potential. To me, there were some flashes of it hitting the right vibe of the old show. I'd say it's either going to succeed or fail based on how good the supporting cast is, and they've got some heavy lifting to do, given that they can't rely on the prepackaged charm and nostalgia of Hannah-Barbara characters.
I hope it turns out to be a really cool show

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I'm wondering how much more gas there is left in the "subverted/tongue-in-cheek superheroes" tank.

It was pretty novel in the Space Ghost Coast to Coast era, comics like Hitman and that "How to Be a Superhero" book by Leigh & Lepine laid the groundwork, and Harvey Birdman and Venture Bros kept wringing out that rag for years upon years while Deadpool held down the live-action fort. But by this point they've taken three separate runs at The Tick and each one has kind of petered out after really just not quite capturing the no-holds-barred, inventive fun of the comic or feeling like it wasn't just scavenging for the dregs left over by all the VBs of the world.

Now there's a new MCU movie every other day and it feels like playing it straight is what sells now? Is the era of irony over? I don't know

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Ghost Leviathan posted:

You think the stoned college kids of the 00s hadn't grown up on The Simpsons?

I do think that the Simpsons rapidly loses relevance as you get to younger age groups as you get to people who never saw what Simpsons was parodying and didn't live in the sort of world that it was originally designed for. It stops being uniquely insightful and just seems like another sitcom like the others on TV only it's a yellow cartoon with swears.

I think that's reflected in how Family Guy came along and did basically what the Simpsons had become at the time and only started taking off by developing some kind of unique gimmick of its own (and still never hit the peaks that the Simpsons once did).

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
On the face of it I don’t even think Birdgirl is trying to be that much like the old show. Some of the humor is similar but it feels like it’s trying its own vibe. I’m willing to see where it goes.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Data Graham posted:

Now there's a new MCU movie every other day and it feels like playing it straight is what sells now? Is the era of irony over? I don't know

This is the secret of the Snyder Cut's success.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy
Idk I thought the Birdgirl pilot was pretty good. Its been how many years since Harvey Birdman? Maybe im biased because i just miss the 1000 mph sight gag/jokes thing. So having some of that now is cool and good.

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!
I feel like that Birdgirl was taking influence from She Hulk in the same was She Hulk was taking influence from Harvey Birdman.

A superhero lawyer learns that some jobs are done better by her mild mannered “civilian” persona than just punching everything.

Edit: It would be funny if they were actually after a PG-13 Harley Quinn and thought “who can we find with Tony Hale energy?”

GigaPeon fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Apr 7, 2021

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Birdgirl definitely had a unique character/animation style. Not completely sold on it yet but did laugh at multiple times.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

https://deadline.com/2021/04/star-trek-lower-decks-renewed-season-three-paramount-season-2-teaser-1234727912/amp/

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/amp/live-feed/duncanville-scores-early-season-3-renewal-at-fox

Star Trek Lower Decks and Duncanville have both been early renewed for third seasons.

This pleases me, I like both of those shows and am happy to see more of them.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
I'm still not sure how I feel about Invincible. It's well produced and has some good character drama but I don't think it's as subversive as it thinks it is. Particularly compared to The Boys which is on the same platform.

For example The Boys very cleverly points out that the idea of a supervillain is bullshit and would be gleefully exploited by powerful interests to gin up nationalism and bigotry towards cynical ends. Invincible on the other hand has a ton of mustache twirling psychopaths that just love to kill people for because just walking around for no reason. And as much as it gestures at the idea that having infinite power might be a bad thing, actually, these ideas fall flat because the presence of these supervillains has created a(n incredibly contrived) situation where superheros are not only necessary but usually cool and good people who just want to do the right thing.

This isn't a deal breaker, mind you. If I refused to watch any show that didn't agree with me politically I'd watch like three shows a decade. Still, it's disappointing because there are nuggets of good ideas in there that are ultimately never truly committed to and that's kind of a bummer.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

readingatwork posted:

I'm still not sure how I feel about Invincible. It's well produced and has some good character drama but I don't think it's as subversive as it thinks it is. Particularly compared to The Boys which is on the same platform.

For example The Boys very cleverly points out that the idea of a supervillain is bullshit and would be gleefully exploited by powerful interests to gin up nationalism and bigotry towards cynical ends. Invincible on the other hand has a ton of mustache twirling psychopaths that just love to kill people for because just walking around for no reason. And as much as it gestures at the idea that having infinite power might be a bad thing, actually, these ideas fall flat because the presence of these supervillains has created a(n incredibly contrived) situation where superheros are not only necessary but usually cool and good people who just want to do the right thing.

This isn't a deal breaker, mind you. If I refused to watch any show that didn't agree with me politically I'd watch like three shows a decade. Still, it's disappointing because there are nuggets of good ideas in there that are ultimately never truly committed to and that's kind of a bummer.

It was never meant to be an anti-superhero work like The Boys was. Its a darker spider-man.

-edit, its also a superhero version of another extremely popular series. *major spoiler* Viltrumites are saiyans.

IShallRiseAgain fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Apr 10, 2021

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

So in the comic the whole big twist in episode 1(if I'm remembering which episode it happens in) ended up happening a lot earlier than Robert Kirkman originally planned because sales were sagging and he decided to take a risk doing it ahead of schedule, personally I wish he hadn't taken that risk so that both the comic and his career would have died instead, because then we'd be in a world without either Invincible or The Walking Dead and I feel our pop culture would be in a better place

Slightly Absurd
Mar 22, 2004

The first half of the Invincible comic is super rad, but man, it really goes off the rails at the end

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Slightly Absurd posted:

The first half of the Invincible comic is super rad, but man, it really goes off the rails at the end

To be fair that describes a lot of small-run original IPs, especially if they involve superheroes.

See also: The last third or so of Irredeemable.

Slightly Absurd
Mar 22, 2004

oof, yeah, Irredeemable definitely fits there

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Irredeemable was poo poo from the first page(at least if I'm remembering the right hackneyed "Superman but he's evil" comic)

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

I thought Irredeemable started out with promise, and had some really good spots (namely stuff like "choose ten"). It also had a great endpoint after the first part when Plutonian is mentally locked down and taken off to an alien prison planet where they use him as basically heavy machinery.

But then it just... kept going. And going. And going. For some reason.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Honestly of the various attempts at doing "Superheroes but Edgy" I'd say Uber is one of the only Western attempts at it that has actually felt like it was actually doing anything truly interesting and at least part of that is because it the only thing it actually takes from the Superheroes genre is people getting superpowers and doesn't waste one's time by doing a bunch of subversions of regular Superheroes tropes that had gotten worn out and tired within a year of Watchmen being published, let alone almost 40 years later

It's also one of the few comics I've read where it going ultra violent actually felt appropriate(since it is a WW2 comic first and foremost) rather than just coming off as needlessly grotesque and/or comedic in execution(which is one of Invincible's biggest failings in my opinion)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Is Invincible or Irredeemable the one where Lady-Zod sexually assaults the main character in order to become impregnated by them? Both have been on my "To-Read" list for years but I never got around to it and I frequently confuse one for the other.