Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Chipotle is worth more than both on Wall Street.

You will happily pay $12.00 for your burrito, taco, bowl or salad, it matters not.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

in a nonexistent heartbeat

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

god im so hot for number this morning

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Give me Diamond Dave's!

Sacrist65
Mar 24, 2007
Frunnkiss
As GenZ is priced out of the single family housing stock, they form communes in the decaying McMansions of dead Boomers. Florida is officially named "Florida sponsored by Squarespace"

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Watched a vid on WV poverty and food stamps and got an ad for hellofresh lmbo, more like fresh hell

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

https://twitter.com/Fxhedgers/status/1379060157074731012

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

MikeCrotch posted:

You can make homes a much less attractive investment opportunity so that people stop speculating on them, notably;

- some kind of seizure or other law that means you have to sell or be repossessed if you have a property that's vacant too long

- increased tenants rights that mean no no-fault evictions, caps on rent increases, higher standards for apartments

- Increased taxes on rental income, capital gains and property tax (though the latter is often passed onto the renter)

- public owned housing with a cap on rent meaning there is a supply of cheap housing to compete with private rental

- actual rent controls

- limits on ownership of housing

- increased interest rates or difficulty in getting financing for landlords that make it a riskier/less profitable venture

Problem is at the minute is that real estate is both super profitable and low risk as long as you have the up front capital, though we are seeing the bottom of the commercial property market thanks to the pandemic and permanent WFH being a thing. Watch offices get transformed into the shittiest apartments known to man as a result though.

This kind of aggressive action in the home owning market hasn't been seen since the 60s. Instead our whole thing is giving investors whatever the gently caress they want, with predictable results.

This is a book I'd definitely recommend and should be a movie imo: https://www.amazon.com/Chain-Title-Americans-Uncovered-Foreclosure/dp/1620971585

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Justin Tyme posted:

Watched a vid on WV poverty and food stamps and got an ad for hellofresh lmbo, more like fresh hell

They know who their audience is

It isn't the poor who are watching such things

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Justin Tyme posted:

I just realized that everyone in Star Trek is just eating TV dinners for every meal.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

MikeCrotch posted:

You can make homes a much less attractive investment opportunity so that people stop speculating on them, notably;

- some kind of seizure or other law that means you have to sell or be repossessed if you have a property that's vacant too long

- increased tenants rights that mean no no-fault evictions, caps on rent increases, higher standards for apartments

- Increased taxes on rental income, capital gains and property tax (though the latter is often passed onto the renter)

- public owned housing with a cap on rent meaning there is a supply of cheap housing to compete with private rental

- actual rent controls

- limits on ownership of housing

- increased interest rates or difficulty in getting financing for landlords that make it a riskier/less profitable venture

Problem is at the minute is that real estate is both super profitable and low risk as long as you have the up front capital, though we are seeing the bottom of the commercial property market thanks to the pandemic and permanent WFH being a thing. Watch offices get transformed into the shittiest apartments known to man as a result though.

philly is trying to unfuck tens thousands of home titles in poorer neighborhoods as the owners have been paying taxes utilities et al but since they weren’t on the title (usually parents or grandparents) somehow developers managed to scam their way into owning the titles

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
x-posting b/c this feels like it qualifies for the doomsday thread

quote:

Back in B.C., the frenzy is so great that some people are resorting to buying without ever setting foot in their new homes. That's what happened to Ean Jackson and his wife Sibylle Tinsel. They recently sold their home in Vancouver and were looking to downsize somewhere farther afield.

The couple settled on the tiny community of Powell River, B.C., about 100 kilometres up the coast. They have friends in the area so it was always a long-term plan, but their home sale sped up their timeline.

There were few houses available when they started looking, and what was there was hard to see given pandemic restrictions. "We couldn't get up there in time to even see the place," Jackson said in an interview.

So they did what millions of Canadians did while shopping for consumer goods this year — they shopped online and hoped for the best.

Their realtor was able to give them a walkthrough of the interior and exterior via video, and they liked what they saw enough to put down an offer.

Though they are excited for this new chapter, it "all feels very awkward," Jackson said.

"It feels really strange. And we look at each other at dinner time just about every night and say, 'Did we do the right thing? … Did we get ripped off? Or is this going to work out?"

loving lol i can't even buy pants that fit properly online, nevermind a goddamn house

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
oops the link , though i clipped the only funny part anyway https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/housing-bubble-small-towns-1.5973134

Blinkz
Oct 8, 2008
Number has risen on the first Monday of April. Praise be to the ever growing number.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

Cold on a Cob posted:

oops the link , though i clipped the only funny part anyway https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/housing-bubble-small-towns-1.5973134

lol are Canadian rents high as hell too?

quote:

Canada's housing market is indeed flush with cash at the moment, with the national average selling price hitting an all-time high of $678,091

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
in the toronto area apartment/condo rents dropped a bit during the pandemic, that's all i've been paying attention to though so idk about houses

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
further proof genx are just as idiotic as boomers

https://twitter.com/StephenPunwasi/status/1377605065754697728?s=20

inlining the images b/c gently caress having to click through

Cold on a Cob has issued a correction as of 15:07 on Apr 5, 2021

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Cold on a Cob posted:

further proof genx are just as idiotic as boomers

https://twitter.com/StephenPunwasi/status/1377605065754697728?s=20

inlining the images b/c gently caress having to click through

Millenials will be soon enough.

Mr Hootington has issued a correction as of 15:05 on Apr 5, 2021

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
fwiw i'm fully on board with the idea that every generation is full of selfish idiots, but i hear a lot of genx saying we're not as bad as boomers and lol gently caress letting genx off the hook

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

genx blew their money on bad marriages

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
First half of genx is basically boomer lite anyhow. Last half is basically millennials that had apple IIs and Oregon Trail.

Just move the generation divide to the end of leaded fuel and get rid of genx, they already did a portion of the job with drug overdoses.

CRUSTY MINGE has issued a correction as of 15:14 on Apr 5, 2021

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

ALL TIME HIGHS

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Joe Biden saved human commerce, 1 million jobs in a single month

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

I love how the person who believes that you can save for a house by buying less coffee is the one that's supposed to be "good with money" here.

human garbage bag
Jan 8, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Paradoxish posted:

I love how the person who believes that you can save for a house by buying less coffee is the one that's supposed to be "good with money" here.

her being wrong doesn't make spending $8 for a small coffee right

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

You will not deny Starbucks profit.

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
Wow, :eyepop: Number

Mods can we please rename the thread to Boomsday Econ

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

rent/utilities: 50% of income
student loans: 10% of income
healthcare: 15% of income
food: 20% of income
Starbucks: 1% of income

"just drink less Starbucks!" - a loving moron

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

1% is a small and reasonable number for any person to save away unless you are a small business owner with employees demanding raises where 1% is an unconscionably massive amount of money

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Shifty Pony posted:

You should strip all remaining small pleasures from your miserable existence to maybe get a chance to in-debt yourself to a bank in several years and free yourself from landlords.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Shifty Pony posted:

tbf if the percentage of your income that you spend at starbucks can be expressed as a whole number, you might want to invest in a coffee maker and thermal mug

BeefThief
Aug 8, 2007

I think I'm just gonna cancel my health insurance next year to save 15% on my expenses, then I can drink all the fuckin coffee I want

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

BeefThief posted:

I think I'm just gonna cancel my health insurance next year to save 15% on my expenses, then I can drink all the fuckin coffee I want

This guy gets it

I just did my taxes and my employer contributions plus my own payments to health insurance was over 30,000 dollars for a family of 4

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
One of these days, we should start a 'Poor-sonal Finance' thread.

Take me, I was 'New Poor.' Didn't know how it was done.

Pro-Tip: Restaurant Supply

^^Classy 'Old Poor' trick.

From my local:
  • $20.09 for 25 lbs of oats. $0.09 per half cup.
  • $3.99 for a #10 can of tomato sauce. 6 lb 10 oz. Under-seasoned for flexibility. $0.17 per half cup.
  • $4.19 for 5 lb of shredded cabbage. Salad for lunch. Salad for dinner. Salad for entertainment. Salad for sport. $0.13 per cup.
Wish I was onto this back in the day. Back when my teeth hurt and the car... made so many noises.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

those calculations are also assuming present valuation stays put, and not what we're seeing in the real world, which is valuation and "what you'll actually have to pay to get this house" rising far faster every year than 95% of people could possibly hope to save for, especially since most of them are losing half their paycheck to pay other peoples' mortgages already

human garbage bag
Jan 8, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Shifty Pony posted:

now calculate how much that 1% starbucks compares to how much you save during that time.

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

Accretionist posted:

One of these days, we should start a 'Poor-sonal Finance' thread.

Take me, I was 'New Poor.' Didn't know how it was done.

Pro-Tip: Restaurant Supply

^^Classy 'Old Poor' trick.

From my local:
  • $20.09 for 25 lbs of oats. $0.09 per half cup.
  • $3.99 for a #10 can of tomato sauce. 6 lb 10 oz. Under-seasoned for flexibility. $0.17 per half cup.
  • $4.19 for 5 lb of shredded cabbage. Salad for lunch. Salad for dinner. Salad for entertainment. Salad for sport. $0.13 per cup.
Wish I was onto this back in the day. Back when my teeth hurt and the car... made so many noises.

Should also have goon recs for the best pressure cooker for your beans/rice.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Steal mayo packets from the condiment kiosk at work and survive on those for free, that was my go to when my splurge was a $3 container of vegetable fried rice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
My go to when I'm broke is eggs, top ramen, and whatever vegetable I could afford that week.