Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

meatpimp posted:

And I, as an experience BMW and VW owner, went straight to "catastrophic failure." I could blame the microphone for making the noise sound worse than it was, but I really just blame experience. :D

The noise was legitimately that bad!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Anyone running a high mileage mk6 GTI? This one looks super clean for the mileage and I might go look at it to replace my Prius that bores me and has the worst driving position imaginable.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

fknlo posted:

Anyone running a high mileage mk6 GTI? This one looks super clean for the mileage and I might go look at it to replace my Prius that bores me and has the worst driving position imaginable.

Looks like a flipper. No license plate is a dead giveaway. That in itself raises all kinds of caution flags.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Am I missing it or is there no mileage listed?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Uthor posted:

Am I missing it or is there no mileage listed?

It's in the list on the right side -- 160k miles.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Oh, gotta scroll past the 82,000 keywords.

Styles Bitchley
Nov 13, 2004

FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN

fknlo posted:

I guess some of the problems of early Mk6s would have already blown up by 160k miles so you're as probably ok as you can expect for a VAG product like that. DSG mechatronic failures, timing chain tensioners, cam followers, water pumps come to mind. I might would ask if any of that had been replaced, and/or take it to a reputable independent shop for inspection before buying.

Otherwise price seems fair, not great just looking at cargurus so would offer less if interested.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Uthor posted:

Oh, gotta scroll past the 82,000 keywords.

Oh my god, I just saw those. I don't like that person.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

fknlo posted:

I just traded in my 2010 a few months ago, but it only had 40k on it. Probably not enough miles to see any real problems.

edit: That car definitely doesn't have dual-zone climate control.

Mad Dragon fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Mar 30, 2021

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Styles Bitchley posted:

I guess some of the problems of early Mk6s would have already blown up by 160k miles so you're as probably ok as you can expect for a VAG product like that. DSG mechatronic failures, timing chain tensioners, cam followers, water pumps come to mind. I might would ask if any of that had been replaced, and/or take it to a reputable independent shop for inspection before buying.

Otherwise price seems fair, not great just looking at cargurus so would offer less if interested.

Also should find out the last time they got the valves walnut blasted.

Price seems high to me for 160k

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

If anyone's shopping for new in the next little while, be aware the supplier plant that makes most of VW's cam phasers got its GM quality cert yanked last month for repeated problems with cam phasers.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
Im at the end of my rope. Looking for a driverside rear axle seal for a 83 b2 quattro coupe. Apparently the diff changed in 84 and the old seals are unobtanium.
From all my sources there is none in the US nor does anyone have plans to make them.
Any of you have any euro contacts that may have one laying in a box?? somewhere???

Preoptopus fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Mar 31, 2021

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
Quote is not edit

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Preoptopus posted:

Im at the end of my rope. Looking for a driverside rear axle seal for a 83 b2 quattro coupe. Apparently the diff changed in 84 and the old seals are unobtanium.
From all my sources there is none in the US nor does anyone have plans to make them.
Any of you have any euro contacts that may have one laying in a box?? somewhere???

One, I'm super jealous as a vintage Quattro nut

Two: I'll see what I can find, at worse do you have the old seal? I can probably get some made. I make a lot of vintage Quattro spare parts.
At worst: It should have the 4.11:1 final drive, which is common on later model Quattros and you might be able to "upgrade" the rear diff to one you can source parts for and save the legacy diff for later.
This was wrong, UrQ has a -3.89:1 final, and while you can find a later diff that might fight, that's gonna be harder.

http://www.t85q.com/urTfa/Subgroups/rearaxle.html
Is it #23 on that diagram?

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Mar 31, 2021

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy
I got a VW question for any VW peoples in here.

Wife has a 2003 VW Beetle turbo 1.8 automatic. Mechanic told us we need to replace the C V axle/drive shaft model number 1J0 407 271 GJ M1 GJ. I've bought one and he told me it was the wrong one. I got a new one and he told me that one was also wrong. So 3rd times the charm hopefully but my question is pretty much this; are the newer C V axles all the same? I'm thinkin he's eyeballin these and deciding they are too small or short but when I try to look up the same part i pull up that is a "previous" version and the newer ones have a differnt number and are universally fitted for a multiple of VW vehicles.

heres an example :

https://www.amazon.com/AutoShack-DS...lkswagen+Beetle

Says it fits the 2003 VW beetle ? The other ones looked similar to them. I wish I took a photo of their numbers but i've been driving back and forth from the part shop and mechanic all week. I spaced out.

The part in question that needs to be replaced:

ShortyMR.CAT fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Mar 31, 2021

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

CommieGIR posted:

One, I'm super jealous as a vintage Quattro nut

Two: I'll see what I can find, at worse do you have the old seal? I can probably get some made. I make a lot of vintage Quattro spare parts.
At worst: It should have the 4.11:1 final drive, which is common on later model Quattros and you might be able to "upgrade" the rear diff to one you can source parts for and save the legacy diff for later.
This was wrong, UrQ has a -3.89:1 final, and while you can find a later diff that might fight, that's gonna be harder.

http://www.t85q.com/urTfa/Subgroups/rearaxle.html
Is it #23 on that diagram?

No thats the updated part number. I need 857525400a. Im scared to pull it to get measurements cause then the car is stuck on the rack.

Super appreciate the help

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
make a thread about your car, that owns

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Preoptopus posted:

No thats the updated part number. I need 857525400a. Im scared to pull it to get measurements cause then the car is stuck on the rack.

Super appreciate the help

Audi Tradition is probably the only way to get it, but that's gonna be a challenge as they still don't sell/ship to the US so you have to find someone who can order locally

https://shops.audi.com/en_GB/web/tradition/p/seal-857525400a-10

If we can get the measurements, we can likely have them made in the US. I'll see if I can get one off one of my space 4000 Quattro rear diffs.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Mar 31, 2021

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Preoptopus posted:

Another link:

https://www.yakjav.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=383875

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

BraveUlysses posted:

make a thread about your car, that owns

Sadly its a customers.
Ill sneak some pics for yall tho.

Thanks guys AI goons are the best. :)

mik
Oct 16, 2003
oh
Thanks to those who gave me advice about S5s a while back.

It's green.

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

That green just works. Lovely, goongratulations.

dk2m
May 6, 2009
more green cars are always a good thing! how do you like it so far?

flightless greeb
Jan 28, 2016

Dang that's great looking. If I had the money for a new audi I'd be looking at those somewhat seriously I think.

mik
Oct 16, 2003
oh

dk2m posted:

more green cars are always a good thing! how do you like it so far?

I've become one of those people who are attracted to their car.

But seriously, I took a bit of a risk and bought it sight unseen since there is no Audi in my province and I cannot leave to visit my dealer who located the car for me. My biggest surprise is how much smoother and quieter it is (when it wants to be) compared to the 2015 S3 it's replacing, even on the 20" summers on our poo poo early-spring roads here. The interior is obviously a giant leap up as well. The frameless doors will take a bit of getting used to so I don't stab my kids in the face when closing the doors.

flightless greeb
Jan 28, 2016

How do you like the virtual cockpit? Idk why I just can't get into digital dashboards even if Audi does have a nice one

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

flightless greeb posted:

How do you like the virtual cockpit? Idk why I just can't get into digital dashboards even if Audi does have a nice one

I didnt either; then I experienced the entire tach flashing bright red on the way to redline and now I understand

dk2m
May 6, 2009

mik posted:

I've become one of those people who are attracted to their car.

Hell yeah, congrats. The S5/RS5 is probably one of the best looking sedans on the market today and that green looks awesome.

flightless greeb posted:

The digital dash on my RS3 is honestly one of my favorite parts of the car; the sport setting with the redline flashing is genuinely useful when you're really getting going. I only wish there was an option to leave everything blank but the speedo/tach but oh well.

It helps that the whole thing feels super snappy to use and doesn't look like it'll age horribly compared to something like a C7 Corvette's digital dash. Audi's interior game is pretty unmatched in my opinion.

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

Have any Euro goons driven the new Golf R?

Dudeabides
Jul 26, 2009

"You better not buy me that goddamn tourist av"

My Mk. V Jetta's vacuum pump is leaking oil now. My garage wants to do the repair for $1k. Does that sounds about right or should I shop around/DIY?

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Dudeabides posted:

My Mk. V Jetta's vacuum pump is leaking oil now. My garage wants to do the repair for $1k. Does that sounds about right or should I shop around/DIY?

That sounds pretty high and if this video is any indication, it seems like a pretty doable DIY project: https://www.google.com/amp/s/blog.fcpeuro.com/how-to-replace-the-brake-vacuum-pump-volkswagen-mk5-gti-audi-a3-a4-vw-jetta%3fhs_amp=true

Ill admit Im out of my element with MK Vs, but Id definitely call around if nothing else.

nitsuga fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Apr 5, 2021

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Rockauto has the Hella Vaccuum Pump for like $200...

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/volkswagen,2005,jetta,1.9l+l4+diesel+turbocharged,3169,brake+&+wheel+hub,vacuum+pump,5172

Dudeabides
Jul 26, 2009

"You better not buy me that goddamn tourist av"

Well poo poo I might do this myself. The garage I go to has a dedicated VW tech so I think that's what I'm paying for...

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

Is the Mk5 Jetta the 2.5L?
I DIY'd the vacuum pump on my 07 A3 which is the 2.0t FSI and it was pretty easy. I changed the gaskets on it and that solved the problem. There's not really much reason to replace the whole pump IMO.

I bought this kit https://www.rkxtech.com/products/rkx-vw-audi-2-0t-vacuum-pump-kit
The pump is just two pieces screwed together, you take the screws out and replace two gaskets. Pretty easy.
The thing will be full of oil though, so be prepared for that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RcosovNMsf0

If you have the 2.5L then sorry if this isn't helpful.

e: looks like they also have kits for the 2.5L https://www.rkxtech.com/collections/vacuum-pump-repair/products/rkx-vw-audi-2-5l-vacuum-pump-reseal-rebuild-kit

Baxate fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Apr 6, 2021

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
just got an 80k mile 2012 Golf GTI and its a huge step up from my 2000 Saab in terms of comfort, that soundaktor has gotta friggin go though.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

This was weird enough that I have to ask. I'm doing the front brakes (pads + rotors) on my gf's 2013 Jetta (base 2.0L, 280mm rotors) and it looks like it uses the exact same pads as my 2007 GTI and like almost every car that VW makes? Is that right? I don't remember seeing that kind of compatibility when I was shopping for pads for my car.

flightless greeb
Jan 28, 2016

Good bye old friend!! I was legit a little sad saying farewell to my favorite car I've ever owned.

In other news since I submitted a request for an estimate for my '19 GSW to Shift (14k miles, they offered $17,500) they've since revised that to $17,900 and then just today up to $19,400 which is very lmao - used car prices must be going nuts right now.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Bon Voyage trusty steed

That is some pretty bonkers stuff. I gotta say I did not believe in Shift, I had a friend join them in like 2013 or so and have been shocked they've been still around and he was still there last I looked.

I forgot, are you just going car-less now or did you get something else as a new single car solution?

flightless greeb
Jan 28, 2016

I'm in the midst of a grand scheme lol - I'm trying to get down to one do everything car but I haven't decided on what it is yet. I sold my audi, I've got another spare boring car to sell then I'll buy a replacement and then I'll sell the VW.

Rn I'm kind of thinking of a 440 gran coupe or one of the very expensive lux wagons like an MB E400 or Volvo V90

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Nice wagon seems like a very good idea, something I would love to do personally. I do love the design language Volvo has been doing lately, the latest merc with the dumb crossover cladding is uh not great, but everything prior to that also very handsome. Eagerly await the conclusion!