Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hello internet
Sep 13, 2004

Steakandchips posted:

Not having to run wires through your helmet yourself, which is a royal pain in the rear end, at least it is in my HGC IS-17.

I assumed running the wires would be a pain in the rear end haha. I'm curious if there's any difference in audio quality between the integrated speakers and installed

hello internet fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Apr 3, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Decided to pull the trigger on Airwave 3 pants like I mentioned earlier. I'm literally smack dab between M and L sizing though with an unflattering 34-ish measurement according to Revit's measuring guide. Decided to go with the L and cinch it up more when I get around to working those inches off at some point, hopefully that's not a disaster.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Oh yea, speaking of pants, shout out to the Klim K52s I bought. They're comfortable, come with armor, and pretty much just look like jeans.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

hello internet posted:

I assumed running the wires would be a pain in the rear end haha. I'm curious if there's any difference in audio quality between the integrated speakers and installed

I haven't tried the Sena helmet but, probably not. I don't think speaker quality can make up for the truly terrible audio environment that is the inside of a motorcycle helmet. You've got wind noise at any appreciable speed and you ought to be wearing earplugs anyway, so music is never going to sound great.

I have a Cardo setup with the JBL speakers which works great and is plenty loud and clear, but I only play podcasts, not music.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I play music on my JBL Cardo setup every now and then and it sounds about as good as you're going to get in a helmet IMO. I'm not sure what could improve it. Moving to a helmet with cutouts for speakers definitely improved the experience though. My HJC was somewhat painful against my ears not having them, but then my RF-1200 was bliss.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
The Sena 50s and 20s have headphone jacks (50r uses an adaptor) so if you want to use low profile IEMs that can serve as both earplugs and as audio, you can use those instead of the speakers. Also on Arai helmets (at least the Quantum and Corsair running wires is super easy as the padding accommodates wires really easily.

Yuns fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Apr 4, 2021

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Weather here is getting nice enough to go riding and it brings me back to a perennial question, do you store your riding gear in the house or in the garage?

We have a detached garage and it gets onerous dragging the helmet, gloves, jacket, and bag back and forth everyday and I'm considering just leaving the gear in the garage for the summer. Only thing I'm scared of is a spider taking residence in the helmet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3i42Smtbmeg

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
The more expensive Sena helmet is supposed to have active noise canceling . No idea if it actually works, but I'm not spending $700 to find out.

I've been using Sena technology for a decade now, not because they're the best, but because I'm locked into their ecosystem. They've been slowly and surely improving over the years. Also, you can plug and play different Sena speakers with new/old headsets, which is nice. And they have just released an improved speaker setup, that you can simply buy and switch out with whatever you currently have.

And absolutely do use earplugs! because not only do they cut down background noise, they will make your speakers sound much clearer. Albeit and higher volume. I found reusable earplugs with a ridgid insert to be the best. $20 at Revzilla, cheaper on Amazon/eBay.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

FBS posted:

I haven't tried the Sena helmet but, probably not. I don't think speaker quality can make up for the truly terrible audio environment that is the inside of a motorcycle helmet. You've got wind noise at any appreciable speed and you ought to be wearing earplugs anyway, so music is never going to sound great.

Built in ear defenders (of the big rubber pad that goes around your whole ear variety) are one of those things I've always wondered why motorcycle helmets can't have. I know some snowmobile helmets have them so obviously it's possible! And you can't argue it'd degrade crash protection because a) the ear is a low risk spot for impact and b) many high end helmets already test poorly in side impacts under SHARP, presumably due to the large wells scooped out of the EPS to accommodate speakers.

A helmet with slimline electric ear defenders built in, with a line-in jack or bluetooth so the speakers can play music as well as reproduce low volume external noises, would absolutely rule.

moxieman
Jul 30, 2013

I'd rather die than go to heaven.

PeterCat posted:

Weather here is getting nice enough to go riding and it brings me back to a perennial question, do you store your riding gear in the house or in the garage?

We have a detached garage and it gets onerous dragging the helmet, gloves, jacket, and bag back and forth everyday and I'm considering just leaving the gear in the garage for the summer. Only thing I'm scared of is a spider taking residence in the helmet.

Gear stays in the house for this reason. Just suit up before you leave the house, walk to bike, ride off.

Big Bizness
Jun 19, 2019

So I got the Scorpion EXO-R1 and the Shoei RF-1200. Tried them both out, they both fit well and seemed nice, but decided to stick with the EXO-R1. Today while riding however crosswinds kept nearly causing me to dump my bike - the sides of the helmet were catching wind like a kite, to the extent I kept feeling like I was going to lose control of the bike, it was nuts. I already was having to do some counter steering to manage the wind hitting the bike, trying to do that while feeling like my head was randomly catching wind like a billboard was a really stressful time. I'm still a pretty new rider, but even then this sensation was totally new to me after having been riding until now with one of my dad's open face, totally round style helmets. The wind wasn't that strong either, we're talking 15-30 mph. I went back and swapped it for his helmet and although the wind was still slightly affecting my control, it didn't feel like somebody was trying to pull me over with my head anymore, so it was definitely the helmet.

For reference I'm 5'8 and 155LBs on a CBR 300 (around 360LBs), so riding pretty light all around.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a rounder style full face lid? If anyone has any suggestions for better managing the wind with the EXO-R1 I'm all ears but I don't see how it could be solved short of not riding when it's at all windy.

Big Bizness fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Apr 5, 2021

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Big Bizness posted:

So I got the Scorpion EXO-R1 and the Shoei RF-1200. Tried them both out, they both fit well and seemed nice, but decided to stick with the EXO-R1. Today while riding however crosswinds kept nearly causing me to dump my bike - the sides of the helmet were catching wind like a kite, to the extent I kept feeling like I was going to lose control of the bike, it was nuts. I already was having to do some counter steering to manage the wind hitting the bike, trying to do that while feeling like my head was randomly catching wind like a billboard was a really stressful time. I'm still a pretty new rider, but even then this sensation was totally new to me after having been riding until now with one of my dad's open face, totally round style helmets. The wind wasn't that strong either, we're talking 15-30 mph. I went back and swapped it for his helmet and although the wind was still slightly affecting my control, it didn't feel like somebody was trying to pull me over with my head anymore, so it was definitely the helmet.

For reference I'm 5'8 and 155LBs on a CBR 300 (around 360LBs), so riding pretty light all around.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a rounder style full face lid? If anyone has any suggestions for better managing the wind with the EXO-R1 I'm all ears but I don't see how it could be solved short of not riding when it's at all windy.

Okay, first of all, make sure you're still doing the right thing, control-wise, when dealing with sidewinds - load up the pegs, make sure you're loose on the bars and your shoulders and elbows aren't locking.

I'm fairly certain a well-designed full-face lid will actually give less drag to sidewinds than an open-face one, if only because it hasn't got your horrible lumpy face causing turbulence - if nothing else it's incredibly unlikely to have enough extra drag to even be noticeable, which is why I suspect the problem might be with the filling of the helmet rather than the lid itself - I wonder if the problem is that your senses are being confused by feeling the buffeting of the wind but not being able to actually feel the air moving, like you can with an open-face?

(I know with my old Shark at high speed the weird vortex shedding it suffered from felt *exactly* like someone actually grabbing the chinbar and pulling it in a circle, I could practically see the hand of the person doing it because the force felt exactly like it came from there, even though the problem was actually at the back.)

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Huge crosswinds while driving across flat open farmland was seriously the first time I almost cried on my bike.

I wish I was joking. I was SO exhausted after an hour of that, it was like fighting for every inch of the ride home.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

This is an issue I remember having when I was learning but now I can ride a 125 dead straight through a tornado.

Is the helmet buffeting? Probably, aerodynamics are weird.

Is helmet buffeting making you swerve? Lmao gently caress no. Your reaction to the helmet buffeting is making you tense up and steer without realizing it. Then your brain notices the bike isn't riding straight so you attempt to correct, but there's so much resistance that your brain parses as from the wind but in reality is you fighting yourself. So you grip tighter and try to correct even more and the problem gets even worse because you're still fighting yourself.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Also, wind just blows you around and it gets tiring.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Slavvy posted:

Your reaction to the helmet buffeting is making you tense up and steer without realizing it. Then your brain notices the bike isn't riding straight so you attempt to correct, but there's so much resistance that your brain parses as from the wind but in reality is you fighting yourself. So you grip tighter and try to correct even more and the problem gets even worse because you're still fighting yourself.

This reads like a voight kampff test

WHAT DO YOU MEAN I’M STILL FIGHTING MYSELF

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Martytoof posted:

WHAT DO YOU MEAN I’M STILL FIGHTING MYSELF

Replicant.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Human.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I did a few hours of slab on the FZ-09 today through the land of soy and corn, and yes, it does.

Side note, the bug situation was pretty gross - can't wait for the cicadas to come out and gently caress up half of riding season.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Slavvy posted:

This is an issue I remember having when I was learning but now I can ride a 125 dead straight through a tornado.

Is the helmet buffeting? Probably, aerodynamics are weird.

Is helmet buffeting making you swerve? Lmao gently caress no. Your reaction to the helmet buffeting is making you tense up and steer without realizing it. Then your brain notices the bike isn't riding straight so you attempt to correct, but there's so much resistance that your brain parses as from the wind but in reality is you fighting yourself. So you grip tighter and try to correct even more and the problem gets even worse because you're still fighting yourself.

:hmmyes:

Fond memories of crawling up the A1M at 50mph on my CBF125, lying flat on the tank in attempt to reduce drag, leaned over 20 degrees while going dead straight. Fun times!

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Heh same. It takes a minute to get to A road speeds, thoroughly taking the piss from all drivers behind you.

Good times!

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
I just rode up and down Florida keys, and at some point it's essentially riding across the ocean, for tens of miles at a time. When that wind shifts, you need to lean while bike like 15 degrees just to stay in lane. It's fun during the day, but terrifying in the dark

https://youtu.be/KIgX33sFs0Q

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Martytoof posted:

Huge crosswinds while driving across flat open farmland was seriously the first time I almost cried on my bike.

I wish I was joking. I was SO exhausted after an hour of that, it was like fighting for every inch of the ride home.

At the end of my solo weeklong ride out to Vancouver Island a decade ago, I was being blown around by wind coming out of the mountains - real annoying cause that poo poo curls and eddies around and it can come from anywhere at any moment. I was fatigued and achy and sick of the trans-canada and just wanted to get home safely, and the wind was so fuckin' demoralizing. And then, as I left the mountains and got into the foothills, I realized - my shoulder airscoops on my jacket were wide open.

I zipped those up and the wind didn't push me around nearly so much.

Fuckin' dummy.

e: I want to be clear I meant i am the dummy

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
I'm probably about to get a chorus of "Well, duh"s but I've just found out that the stuff you get if you just buy generic "VHB tape" is *not* the stuff that gets packaged with a decent helmet cam - it was baffling me why the stuff I'd bought from Screwfix (a proper trades supplier in the UK; I went there after having this problem with some stuff from Amazon that I thought was fake) wasn't actually sticking securely when the unmarked stuff that came with a cheap mount I'd bought off Amazon did perfectly.

Basically there's dozens of different formulations of VHB, and the best-selling stuff is designed for sticking metal to metal. The stuff you want for helmet cameras or other plastic-to-plastic applications is 4991 (at least this is the stuff that GoPro package with their cameras) which is grey (the 5xxx stuff for metal-to-metal is black or clear). Apparently any of the 49xx tapes will work fine but like I say 4991 is what GoPro use.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Also if you buy it from amazon you have no know of knowing it's not counterfeit 3M tape, which is actually a thing

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

MomJeans420 posted:

Also if you buy it from amazon you have no know of knowing it's not counterfeit 3M tape, which is actually a thing

Yeah, that's why I bought a second roll from Screwfix - identical packaging and identical result. (As always with Amazon with stuff like that I deliberately avoid the one that's somehow 20% cheaper than all the equivalents).

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Yep, you explicitly said that and I somehow missed that

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

I'm shopping for new gear and am definitely getting a MIPS helmet (either the Icon Airflite Stealth or Bell Qualifier DLX) but is the extra cost/complexity of an airbag jacket worth it or can I get near similar protection with CE2 everywhere? The jacket I'm looking at is the Helite Free-Air Mesh, if it matters. I'll be doing mostly low-speed city riding for a while with a goal of eventually doing some longer road trips/moto-camping once I'm more comfortable.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Airbag jackets are about preventing neck injury, there simply isn't any pad armour that will provide that protection at all.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I thought they were for broken collarbones and maybe rib injuries and neck braces were for neck injuries, but I didn't look that up and I'm just going off memory so...

That reminds me that someone posted in here a while ago about the size differences between back protectors and airbag vests, but I don't remember who it was or if they were a regular vs a drive through posting. In any case, there's a decent difference. Here's a A* KR-3 vs a tech-air race vest:

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
Airbags are amazing and protect the spine several times better than anything else. In combination with a good helmet it stands to reason that your spine will survive some of the worst trauma the road can throw at you. The fact that it also protects your chest and squishy bits is just a bonus.
If the cost wasn't so prohibitive, I'd be rocking a Helite Turtle all the time.

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.
I think this has been posted before, but since the current topic is airbags, FortNine has a good video discussing the various pros/cons: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2jZryt607U

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

MomJeans420 posted:

I thought they were for broken collarbones and maybe rib injuries and neck braces were for neck injuries, but I didn't look that up and I'm just going off memory so...

That reminds me that someone posted in here a while ago about the size differences between back protectors and airbag vests, but I don't remember who it was or if they were a regular vs a drive through posting. In any case, there's a decent difference. Here's a A* KR-3 vs a tech-air race vest:

That was me. Thanks for the pics. The medium sells out so quickly whenever it restocks. I’m just gonna buy it and hope it fits :shobon: my jacket is size 48, which fits properly with back and chest protectors, and medium is what is supposed to fit with 48.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Is there a summer-friendly leather jacket without graphics and cringy labels? I just want a straight slim fit with maximum zippers and air flow that doesn't look like a cosplay. Preferably under $300.

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020

Nitrox posted:

Is there a summer-friendly leather jacket without graphics and cringy labels? I just want a straight slim fit with maximum zippers and air flow that doesn't look like a cosplay. Preferably under $300.

what's your size? I have one I got too fat for and was always a tiny bit too long in the torso for.

it doesn't even stink

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Toe Rag posted:

That was me. Thanks for the pics. The medium sells out so quickly whenever it restocks. I’m just gonna buy it and hope it fits :shobon: my jacket is size 48, which fits properly with back and chest protectors, and medium is what is supposed to fit with 48.

I think the jackets are supposed to be sized to fit the airbag, my problem was all the A* jackets that worked with tech-air race (rather than street) are cut even tighter than your typical jacket, so I ended up trying them all from revzilla and only the Specter jacket worked for me. I'd definitely order from revzilla or someone with easy returns as you don't want to get stuck with an expensive paperweight.

And of course I didn't even wear it for my track day as I already had enough issues getting my suit on and off and didn't want to make things worse. I need to work on my shoulder flexibility (at a minimum).

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

Brigdh posted:

I think this has been posted before, but since the current topic is airbags, FortNine has a good video discussing the various pros/cons
Yeah that's what turned me onto them in the first place, and now that I know they exist I don't think I can go without, much like MIPS.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Nitrox posted:

I got a Dainese Agile Perforated Leather jacket at Cycle Gear when it was on sale for $400, which I know is a bit more than your budget but it's really nice and pretty understated for Dainese.

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/dainese-agile-perforated-leather-jacket?rrec=true

Maybe you could keep an eye out for sales again.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Greg12 posted:

what's your size? I have one I got too fat for and was always a tiny bit too long in the torso for.

it doesn't even stink
I usually wear Large, and my proportions are average enough. What do you have?

A Proper Uppercut posted:

I got a Dainese Agile Perforated Leather jacket at Cycle Gear when it was on sale for $400, which I know is a bit more than your budget but it's really nice and pretty understated for Dainese.

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/dainese-agile-perforated-leather-jacket?rrec=true

Maybe you could keep an eye out for sales again.

thanks, I'll keep an eye out

Big Bizness
Jun 19, 2019

Nitrox posted:

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/first-manufacturing-turbine-jacket?sku_id=1215613

First Manufacturing's Turbine Jacket. Perforated leather, optional armor pockets, stylish enough to wear out even when you're not riding (if you take the armor out, anyway). I love mine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhDhxLT4TcA