Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
I think Thor is pretty much fixed thanks to the addition of the new cards, I played him again last week with my friend and while I lost, I was doing the heavy lifting and not the other way around. My friend was doing a Hulk Justice deck and while it wasn’t bad, it wasn’t good. It just tread water, and for 2 players it needed to be heavier on thwarting cause it made me need to stick in hero mode eventually having me get knocked out. I was crushing minions left and right though.

Hulk...still sucks. Could maybe make him work but the drawback is just too much of a negative. He’s got some strong cards but they went overboard making sure he can’t really set himself up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Rainy's Hulk is splendid. https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2350650676&searchtext=rainy

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
I can't see what that content is without having to download it, so I'm not even sure what it is.

Just personally for me though, custom content is a non-starter. Glad people like it, but as far as I'm concerned it doesn't exist. I usually dislike what the creators come up with, and I personally just like working within limitations of official releases.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
Many months out, how is the Rise of Red Skull expansion for Marvel Champions? I've been kind of picking up a bit of it recently and I'm on the fence about getting it because I don't play the game very often but I did enjoy the Green Goblin which I finally picked up. Haven't gotten to Kang yet, but I'm curious if Red Skull has some interesting scenarios, or if Hawkeye/Spider-Woman are fun or not?

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Spider-Woman is incredibly powerful and I think the campaign is pretty cool, even if I don't like the Absorbing Man scenario that much.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Rise of Red Skull is good. Hawkeye is a dud IMO, but Spider-Woman is great. I think the new scenarios are pretty interesting. That said I think Kang is by far the most interesting scenario (unless you only play solo).

In other news. They announced Gamora as the next pack after Star-Lord. She looks amazing and will be fun to play, but she’s an aggression pair aspect? What the hell? They skipped over Justice. Justice is getting the biggest shaft right now in terms of cards available and this is not helping. They need to do a double release of Justice so it’s card pool and available allies can vastly expand.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

The Black Stones posted:

In other news. They announced Gamora as the next pack after Star-Lord. She looks amazing and will be fun to play, but she’s an aggression pair aspect? What the hell? They skipped over Justice. Justice is getting the biggest shaft right now in terms of cards available and this is not helping. They need to do a double release of Justice so it’s card pool and available allies can vastly expand.

Isn't Scarlet Witch a Justice pack?

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

PaybackJack posted:

Many months out, how is the Rise of Red Skull expansion for Marvel Champions? I've been kind of picking up a bit of it recently and I'm on the fence about getting it because I don't play the game very often but I did enjoy the Green Goblin which I finally picked up. Haven't gotten to Kang yet, but I'm curious if Red Skull has some interesting scenarios, or if Hawkeye/Spider-Woman are fun or not?
If you like Green Goblin I think you'll like Red Skull. Wide range of scenarios within Red Skull but I enjoyed most of them. Zola and Red Skull can both be infuriating, but in a mostly good way. Spider-Woman was the funnest hero in my opinion, and I think the mentioned upcoming Gamora will be fun too.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
I really enjoyed playing Hawkeye with the aggression aspect. Took him and Black Widow through all the currently released content on expert and he faired very well.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

plester1 posted:

Isn't Scarlet Witch a Justice pack?

Yes, but then the Guardians box comes out and we get Rocket (aggression) and Groot (defence) and then Star-Lord (Leadership). With Gamora on aggression, that’s skipping a justice release, and justice already has gotten shafted before, When Spider-Woman came out, they counted her half deck as justice as a justice release. Counting all the Justice releases together (including Scarlet Witch) and you’d be at 2.5 releases. Now we look at aggression, and when guardians comes out, it’s had 4.5 releases. If we count Gamora as a .5 aggression release (because she’s gonna have some defence and justice slotted in as well) that’s 5 aggression releases compared to justice’s 2.5 at that point.

Yeah, aggression needed some help, badly. I’d say with the Wasp release though, they’ve solved most of the aspects core problems. I guess they just find it easier to make cards for aggression. It’s annoying when I want to deck build Justice decks though, and there’s not a huge pool you can draw on for diversity.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Scarlet Witch is out!

I switched her to Leadership and I thought Chaos Magic would suit some of those cards a little better. So far I’ve only played true solo but I plan to take a break and do a double handed run with a another hero. The reason being in Scarlet Witch is kind of an all rounder. She’s decent at threat, Hex Bolt is good for dealing with small amounts of damage/threat/card draw.

However, her problem is that she can’t deal with minions. Anything with high HP starts to swarm her. Her main cards only have 3 cards total that can deal with high HP minions (molecular decay) and she only has 1 attack point which means she doesn’t really have power behind her.

With another hero to help take the heat off a little bit I think she can shine, but it’ll be interesting to see how quick the encounter deck will go especially against Klaw.

Scarlet Witch seems good, but I feel like she’s lacking something. Perhaps taking out a hex bolt or magic shield for a card that reduces spell costs by 1 could have made her a lot more effective. I’ll see how I feel about her after some multi hero games.

Edit:

Did some multiplayer games with Scarlet Witch. Tried a double protection game against Klaw where my buddy did Scarlet Witch protection and I did Quicksilver protection.

Scarlet Witch is decent at protection with her having decent defence stat and magic barriers, but is a dumpster fire when it comes to attack damage. She can’t get anything going beyond a small amount of core cards. My Quicksilver pretty much did majority of thwarting and taking on minions.

Next game we did double leadership with his Quicksilver and my Scarlet Witch (we somehow did exact opposite builds which is, not what you want to do for team up heroes, haha.

It went perfectly fine though. Scarlet Witch is a fun push your luck hero and can easily make things easy. Villain gonna scheme for 4? Oops I change the boost and it’s only 1 now, nice!

Leadership is a fun build for Scarlet Witch I think. Avengers Assemble can be free with Chaos Magic. Plenty of ally blockers to leave her free to do what she needs.

Good but not amazing.

The Black Stones fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Mar 7, 2021

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Triple post I guess, but spoilers are out for Rocket and Groot cards. They both look way better than I thought they would. Excited to get them to the table.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
So I'm getting into Marvel champions. As someone who hasn't gotten anything besides the core box; how does storage work with all these hero packs? Do you pack them with their premade decks? This looks real complicated.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

Jarvisi posted:

So I'm getting into Marvel champions. As someone who hasn't gotten anything besides the core box; how does storage work with all these hero packs? Do you pack them with their premade decks? This looks real complicated.
I have them organized by aspect, then card type (event, support, ally), then cost and finally alphabetically. That way if I want to build a deck I can look at it by aspect.

I do know some people like to have a premise deck for each character “ready to go” so it’s faster to sit down to play time.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Jarvisi posted:

I have four custom decks ready to go in case I want to play fast or I've got other people who want to play fast. The rest of my cards are sorted by aspect and type to make deckbuilding easier.

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!
There are more than enough cards to have a complete deck for each hero. They might not all be 'optimal' but certainly good enough for casual play.

Burger Token has cheap deck boxes I keep my heroes in. Then all you need to do is grab and go.

For the scenarios, I do something similar. All of them are pre-built so you just need to mix in the Standard encounter set that is in most scenarios. Then I keep them in a burger token box.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
Anyone store sleeved cards in binder pages? I'm thinking of doing that with Marvel Heroes because it feels like a pain with all the mixing and matching. I'm playing different heroes every time out so I'm constantly building new decks. I was going to pick up some of the black side loading GameGenic pages and was wondering if anyone had used those or had any other ideas for binder pages that are slightly bigger that I could fit an ultra pro thick sleeve into.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I have a buttload of Ultra Pro deckboxes for stuff and they work nicely

https://www.amazon.com/Ultra-Pro-Magic-Pokemon-YuGiOh/dp/B074DVF48M/ref=sr_1_20?dchild=1&keywords=card+box&qid=1616603102&sr=8-20

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Saw the new rocket. He has a truly comical amount of guns, even for a guy whose gimmick is guns. At least he has events that let him find minions.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Jarvisi posted:

I see a lot of people who have pre-made aspect decks and just slap them onto a hero.

Personally how I do it, is I have my favourite hero rotation and I especially build a deck for them. If I find I’m not playing a hero anymore or don’t find them as fun I’ll take it apart and build something else. I build specifically for that hero. So I have a storage box with all my villain/hero stuff that’s all put together, and then a big white BCW box where all my extra cards are.

The only problem with this approach is if you want a lot of heroes at your disposal. I’ve actually bought some extra heroes so I don’t have to proxy cards (just not a huge fan of using a printer or writing on piece of paper). If you don’t mind proxies though, just go nuts.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Galaxy's Most Wanted is out!

I haven't tried any of the new scenarios because I wanted those to be a surprise for when I play with my friend. However, I've done a bunch of solo games with Rocket and Groot and some double handed games with them.

Solo against Rhino was pretty easy. Rocket has to flip a bit to heal up from taking Rhino's punches, but he can thwart pretty good and has a lot of off damage available. Groot meanwhile, is a super tank. With 3 defense and the ability to make it 4, plus his ability, you're pretty much never getting hit. He's good to turtle up, build your board and bit and then can go hard with attacks later game.

Klaw is a pain to fight solo and the designers have said as much that they don't balance the game for solo, they balance it for 2-3 players. So there I went to double handed play. I got beat pretty bad my first 2 fights. Groot just didn't have good card draw, and Rocket had a little bit of a hard time paying for some cards. It too multiple tweaks, but getting in a helicarrier for Rocket vastly improved what I could do in a round. Getting in an Avengers Mansion for Groot also improved his hand size meaning I had more options per turn. After doing these changes, I was able to beat Klaw without much difficulty.

It's hard to say who I like better, but I think I'd have to give Rocket the nod. He's a glass cannon but he's fun. You need to flip constantly to be able to discard his tech cards, and heal him up, but firing off a ton of guns feels great. Groot is great mechanically speaking, but it's definitely a bit more of a boring play-style to just turtle up. You can fix it by making him justice perhaps, as he could then contribute with a lot of thwarting.

Overall, I'd say they did a fantastic job and I can't wait to try the new scenarios. I'm super looking forward to Star-Lord to see how the push your luck aspect of him works. They're on a pretty good roll where they haven't had a terrible hero since Hulk.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

How was Flora and fauna? It’s one of the few team of cards that doesn’t require people to be in specific forms.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Well, it’s a hero action so whoever is playing it still needs to be in hero form. That said it’s a powerful card. Getting Groot back up to be able to attack or thwart if need be is good and putting more counters on him is good. Putting tokens on the launcher or cannon is super powerful.

The cost for what it does is really good. Especially since as you noted the other hero can be in their alter ego. Also the fact that you can apply it to the other player is great. So if I’m Groot but it’s going to help Rocket more? Give him the benefit.

It’s a great card. Curious to see if Star-Lord and Gamora will get a team-up.

EDIT:

Friend cancelled on me so what the heck did first two scenario's from GMW two handed solo with Groot and Rocket.

Drang/Brotherhood of Badoon: It feels a little overwhelming because it puts on a pile of threat every turn. There's a catch though, and that's that you have the Milano in play, and you can exhaust it to remove 3 threat from the main scheme, or give yourself a wild resource. Honestly, I think the wild resource is just a trap. Play as if the Milano is just to help scheme and it feels less overwhelming because that +4 threat every turn now becomes just +1. You gotta be really careful because every 4 turns a environment pops where it does 2 damage across your heroes, and it goes even quicker if he schemes against you. I got Groot's nemesis minion out where his side scheme does 2 damage to all heroes at the start of the villain turn. That was rough.

Collector: This was really different. You have to watch how you play because Collector constantly steals your cards. He doesn't hit for a lot, but minions can come out and wreck you if not careful. You really have to play aggressively and even if you have some cards you might want to play next round you're generally better of dumping them to pay for the collector's pile cost. I got close to the game ending because of the collection (9 cards when 10 pops it) but generally it never got too rough. It's a slog of a fight because you're constantly making sure both lose conditions aren't getting out of hand. I still enjoyed it even if it took a while to get him down.

So far they're pretty interesting and a tough but fun challenge. So far I'd put the scenario's above Red Skull, I'll have to see how the other 3 go. Not sure when I'll get to them.

The Black Stones fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Apr 3, 2021

Warm Woolen Pants
Jan 13, 2008

If you know what I mean...
I've also been playing through Galaxy's Most Wanted two-handed with Groot and Rocket. For Groot I went with Justice, using a modified marvelcdb deck here, swapping out Lockjaw and Rocket allies for Flora and Fauna and Spider-Man (Miles). For Rocket I went with a self-built Aggression deck, with a fair number of cheap allies.

Drang: Surprisingly difficult for the first scenario in the campaign. Didn't come super close to losing at any point, but it *felt* close, especially with the 4 threat dropping every turn, and the piles of minions. In the end, managed to get all 6 Market Points, so was pretty happy! Groot was... shockingly great. Built up his 10 growth counters pretty effortlessly, then just went ham with 8-10 threat thwarts and 8-10 damage smashes to end the fight. Very fun. Rocket did much less but got a few good hits in.

Collector 1: Holy poo poo, what an rear end in a top hat. Lost twice to filling up the collection, then had to modify my decks fairly heavily to avoid all preparations, and all allies that don't have a massive multi-turn impact. Added lots of events, and cleared out the collection every chance possible, and STILL ended up at 7/10 near the end, and 19/20 threat on the last turn. No idea how you can ever get the Market Points for the Collection being nearly cleared. Leadership decks that go wide also seem completely useless here, which is kind of... nice? It's nice that they push you more to the Voltron style for one fight, at least. Black Widow would be just horribly hosed for this one though, no two ways about it.

That's as far as I was able to get over the weekend. Standard modes on these feel more like Expert (or even Heroic 1) modes in other fights, so I'm a little scared of the next few scenarios (Ronan especially), but still pretty confident I can get through them. It's very cool that they're shaking up the standard formula for this.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

My initial reading was every card that goes into the discard it was in the collection, which is crazy. I reread the explanation during mulligans and saw the “in play“ part.

Having a good time with rocket and a custom black cat. Having an ability in her deck that attacks and discard attachments seems very good for official campaigns, where the alternative is spending 3+ resources or two resources and an activation.

PrinnySquadron
Dec 8, 2009

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2021/4/5/venomous-sting/

Agent Venom after Drax

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
So looking like that leaked list of releases is correct.

Also Venom looks insanely cool and good. 4 minions if you get shadows of the past, haha. This Guardians cycle so far seems like their best cycle yet.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Agent Venom looking more like Punisher lol. Has like one actual Symbiote power and a shitload of guns.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Agent Venom wasn't interesting to me but maybe his side deck will have some good options for Rocket or Quicksilver, really though I'm just sitting here like:

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

The Black Stones posted:

So looking like that leaked list of releases is correct.

You got the deets? I must have missed it.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Carteret posted:

You got the deets? I must have missed it.

Image of it is here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/marvelcham...utm_name=iossmf

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

Additionally, there were some images up on the asmodee China site. Spoilers at link:

https://imgur.com/gallery/oMrxH7F

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
I legit can’t win with aggression Rocket and defence Groot. Her scenario is just full of bullshit compounded on bullshit. First her environment card makes it that if you aren’t constantly removing the evasion counter, once it gets 2 counters it’s pumping out 4 threat on a 12 threat scheme. So your constantly fighting threat, but you have to use the Milano to remove then counters (you have to pay a resource as well). Of course there’s cards that try force you to exhaust the Milano, and there’s schemes that dump a ton of threat that needs the Milano to exhaust to remove threat from it. There’s also a second environment card that can possibly come into play that requires the Milano to exhaust to be able to remove it. If it comes out it’s an automatic not able to remove an evasion counter for one round.

Then there’s Nebula herself. She gets tons of technique cards on her. This wouldn’t be a huge issue, but if you get one as a boost they get to activate once before she uses them again. Not so bad if it’s just dumping one threat on a scheme, but a pile of bullshit when it’s a tough or stun because if she activates again (which if she got that boost during the first activation it’s a given) she gets an extra boost card.

The first technique card she gets also gets surge, because why not! Super fun when you get an encounter that has her fish for a technique because that gets to surge!

The worst part is if the main scheme manages to get to the 2nd scheme, you get plus 2 evasion counters. This absolutely cripples you. The fight just feels way to unbalanced compared to the first 3. Justice might go a bit better but I feel they relied way to heavily on making you use the Milano to do things and it sucks because it’s like “well this character could perhaps pay for the costs because they have a dead hand, but they don’t have the Milano”

Also Thor or the aggression card that searches for a minion to reduce 3 threat absolutely screws you in the scenario because every single minion has quickstrike, and if they hit you you have to discard a card and remove it from the game. From the game!? Like, why the gently caress is that a thing minions can do? I realized that minions with Patrol also makes those cards useless so i don’t use them in a Rocket deck now because there’s way too much risk now of fishing for a minion.

Really souring on me on this. I feel like they gave zero breathing room and it doesn’t feel good. The first scheme should have had a threshold of 7 or 8 per player so getting to the second counter doesn’t immediately wreck you and put you into a death spiral.

medchem
Oct 11, 2012

Maybe I’m too casual of a comics person, but those upcoming releases are not as interesting compared to what came out last year. I didn’t even know there was a Flash Thompson Venom. Marvel needs to open up Fantastic Four and X-Men for them asap.

They also better crush it mechanics-wise and not create a bunch of situational stuff.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Nebula is pure strain bullshit. Hope you like when cards surge! 13 of her cards will surge if played during the encounter round! Nothing like getting anywhere from 3-5 cards played against you in a single round. Side scheme to technique to shadows, and now my nemesis and its side scheme is in play. In the second round! Not coming back from that. Like, it’s loving standard. Why does Nebula have a surge mechanic built into her 1st form?

I liked the game because it was a fun challenge, not too difficult, but still could put you on your toes. This scenario is pure “there is no part of this scenario that favours the player. At all” and it just feels like poo poo because of it. None of it is fun. At all. Completely makes me do a 180 on this expansion. Zapped all the fun out of it. No matter how good a draw I got, just overwhelmed by cards.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
I get that some of the decks are going to have repeat cards, but Rocket's deck felt like too many cards I had already seen before.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

If you’re not on expert, you can change you’re aspect and try again. Rocket would be fine in leadership, especially with all the cool ally upgrades that are tech. Groot can do justice.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

medchem posted:

Maybe I’m too casual of a comics person, but those upcoming releases are not as interesting compared to what came out last year. I didn’t even know there was a Flash Thompson Venom. Marvel needs to open up Fantastic Four and X-Men for them asap.

They also better crush it mechanics-wise and not create a bunch of situational stuff.

The guys who do the Crisis Protocol miniature game just got into X-Men and X-Force and it's great. Fantasy Flights said X-men are def coming--it's absolutely 100% allowed for them to use--but they also already have their roadmap set for like the next year and a half so no telling when they'll get here. They did set the stage with Warlock/Avalanche cards now in the game and the "Brotherhood" and "X-force" keywords exist so they def have permission.

I do agree with you though about the next few characters though, I would have liked less Avengers but unfortunately, much like Crisis Protocol, the Avengers came first. Now that game is knee-deep in X-Men, X-Force, and Spider-Man villains and it's great.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Golden Bee posted:

If you’re not on expert, you can change you’re aspect and try again. Rocket would be fine in leadership, especially with all the cool ally upgrades that are tech. Groot can do justice.

It’s not an issue of aspects for me. It’s an issue that the scenario throws so much at you without giving you much leeway. Why is there so many cards that require me to exhaust the Milano when the Milano is so important to the scenario? It just feels bad and exhausting. Like, Red Skull is tough but they give you some upsides for how tough it is to help even it out.

Like, the initial threat level is 12 at 2 player and not being able to reduce the evasion counter once means 1/3 rd threat on the scheme.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warm Woolen Pants
Jan 13, 2008

If you know what I mean...
I played Collector 2 this morning before work and it was a really great time, so that's a real shame to hear that Nebula is a monster. Getting stomped on standard mode is not my idea of fun in this game. Let me swap to Expert/Heroic if I want tough multi-try challenges. I have Arkham to play if I want punishing on standard difficulty; and I do love Arkham, for what it's worth, it's just not really what I come to Marvel Champions for.