Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Yeah, I'm inclined to ignore. Not worth the risks, especially if we're fried.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!
Our mental state is starting to degenerate. We've begun to go from long, complete sentences back to short, almost incoherent ramblings. This incarnation of "I" likely doesn't have much longer in this world before they regress back to being "you". Sayonara, not-brain damaged protagonist. It was nice while it lasted. Maybe we'll meet again someday.

I want nothing to do with Interstate 76.

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

went for marking it, other than leaving it be it's the only one that doesn't involve actually stepping onto or putting something on the interstate.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Nope nope nope nope nope. I mostly know molochs from ADOM, but in that game they’re endgame opponents. I want no part of their emperor.

I really hope the silver mind returns before we get to the cultpartments. These willpower rolls are still easy for us, but failing one would be Bad and it’s going to happen if we have enough of them.

e: Also, Fire Joker? Is that the Backup’s liaison with the Sunburners? Things could get interesting if they recognise the solar veil...

pumpinglemma fucked around with this message at 11:00 on Apr 3, 2021

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

So I've been thinking about this, and I can figure two reasons why Paprika Blue wouldn't recognize us namedropping Dancer like that. The first is that Blue and Red are just personal nicknames for Dancer and Burner, only known to them and people genuinely close to them (after all, just because Paprika Blue's a cultist doesn't mean she's actually MET met Dancer). The other is that she refused to internally believe that a relative nobody like us would know THE Blue, obviously we're just trying to fake it or another member of the Backup was lying to us.

As far as 76 goes... yeah, I voted to make a point of ignoring it as hard as we can.-

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

Randalor posted:

So I've been thinking about this, and I can figure two reasons why Paprika Blue wouldn't recognize us namedropping Dancer like that. The first is that Blue and Red are just personal nicknames for Dancer and Burner, only known to them and people genuinely close to them (after all, just because Paprika Blue's a cultist doesn't mean she's actually MET met Dancer). The other is that she refused to internally believe that a relative nobody like us would know THE Blue, obviously we're just trying to fake it or another member of the Backup was lying to us.

As far as 76 goes... yeah, I voted to make a point of ignoring it as hard as we can.-
Paprika Blue being "one of the Dancer's most beloved" means that she has almost certainly met Dancer. You don't become someone's beloved without talking to them at least once. Also she talks about Dancer like she's a close friend.

Personally, I think she was telling the truth about there not being another "Blue." I reckon Dancer might have been running around under a pseudonym - naming herself after her friend Paprika and somehow convincing Burner to go along with it.

Princey
Mar 22, 2013
I wonder if doing something tyrannical here might stabilize us a bit, though, and so I hesitate to ignore it completely. Feels like a risk vs reward situation potentially.

Edit: Ended up voting to throw some rocks; it lets us be petty without stepping onto the interstate at all, and we can do it from enough of a distance to retreat into the trees.

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Commander Keen is my hero.
Hey Stampede... how 'bout a poem? (Don't *ever* get out of the car.) ((And let's stay away from I'76!))

OneWingedDevil
Aug 27, 2012

The Blue Book posted:

"...few better grandplate-class armors than the Moloch Armor. If its 1500 pounds can be withstood, then it grants a monstrous AD-resistant DR of 50 (plus undersuit!), as well as the immunity to..."

Found another reference to Molochs. There another one mentioning that the skinless wolf has greater regeneration "than even a Moloch", so yeah, probably quite the end-game enemy.

Edit

The Blue Book posted:

"...agree that outside of the Lords and the Backup cult, the hardest bosses for any build includes Apocalypse Maggot, Death Efflorescence (both the 1st and 3rd Year versions), 76, Gasoline God, Sister Sister Fulgora, Chjotzo, The Murdering Space, One-Tusked Vorpal Boar, Hibakujumoku, The Hellpit of Mud, Cthonian..."

76 is apparently one of the hardest bosses in the game.

OneWingedDevil fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Apr 3, 2021

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!
Don't forget that the Iron Saint managed to hold her own against 76. Which is interesting, considering she's been on the backfoot against Deimos.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

VOTING CLOSED - Don't Underestimate This Interstate

I tap my foot on it a few times. - 2
I stand on it with my arms crossed. - 0
I throw some rocks and stuff onto it. - 4
I ignore it and keep going. - 16
I deface it, leaving my mark. - 4

...LOADING

[Update in AM]

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Oh poo poo we could have been using blood to get MCD goods? We're full of the stuff!

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Yeah. I'm not going to mess with it. I walk around the perimeter of the marked-off edge of the overgrown highway. My hands come to rest on one tall ridged stone I climb up onto, laying down in relative safety while looking out at the road, to where it becomes lost in the forest. The excess of Mana in me feels like a steady conduction of all the rivery leaves.

I meant what I said. I'm not real. Just the reflection of my tyranny off the Silver Mind. Discolored from that royal violet, painted by the others. Now just braintendon ghost, keeping the six systems and the many territories of the crown animate. Now, I accept this impossibility, and my degradation. I'm still some part that unknown hue, and it's either erasing me or changing me. Either way it'll be the end of me. My color will shift.

But I NEED to get to the cult apartment first. I can break down then. I can come apart and fade back. Preferably into the wake of my crown, but I accept any hue as long as they're ready to walk. Apartments... close enough for sanctuary, sanity, sleep. I think with my unself, where I'm able to see.

The color of me when I cease to be.

I get up a while later, stretch the tense out, and start heading to the final longwalk. The sky continues to be dark with passing sheets of light rain. No longer the life-giving rains of the valley, these were cold and misty. My improved shroud simply eats the mist, and my suit's special silks stay dry, leaving me realizing I really can walk in a way of comfort that feels like a dream. It's worth feeling confident about.

ANXIETY: [ X ][20%]

I think, that's a good discipline, finding ways to more rigorously approve of yourself. I'm not sure why that feels so important to me to dwell on. Really, I just want to think I have a menacingly good new outfit, and thank God I'm warm and dry in this horrible weather.

The river roars on while I stand with sword to scout out its treacherous stretch of stones, trees, and planks to walk. Then I'd be in the final stretch.

(Strength) 21 - [2]+[1]+[9] = 9 - Success!

I'm sure if the Six-Pack Subscription was awake, it'd have something loud to say about having cleanly found the best way to get through our very first stretch of dangerous unknown land. I do it in silence too, furthering my struggle to understand peace of mind. Trail is clean, no accidents, got here in good time, didn't come past anyone- all just in time to crest the hill, and see the destination southward.

It's hard to find for it's half-tended overgrowth. But I can spot it among the hills and treeline, surrounded by river. I think with more pride - I've managed to keep us gone strong all the way to safety. I kept a promise to myself. Why is that so important? What matters isn't that, but that I have some idea of a gift ready for my new hosts. I race my fragilefade mind through a list of what'd be realistic.

What to bring for the resident crew?

[Quest Log Updated]

Rubix Squid
Apr 17, 2014
Food seems like it would always be welcome, so cheeseburger up some magic.

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

Yeah but also they seem like the art kind and using the red hand is just really cool.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I voted for food, though I could see the blood lava lamp go over well. They are part of Paprika Blue's group, so maybe they would like the art as well.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

On a pragmatic level, cheeseburger magics draw on IQ which we're not great at - I'd much rather try the woodburned art.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Yeah I voted art on the basis that the burger magic might not work out so good with our stats. Though I assume that the art might also fail somehow, possibly based on which personality aspect is dominant?

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

VOTING CLOSED - Who Am I, And Do You Like My Housewarming Gift

Magic Grub [Cheeseburger Magic] - 14
Novelty Blood Lamp [!Darkness] - 1
Burned Wood Art [Red Right Hand] - 13

The Tyrant Softly - 6
Mushroom Mind - 2
Just You - 15

...LOADING

Valcione
Sep 12, 2007
For All Brave Silpheed Pilots

Black August posted:

VOTING CLOSED - Who Am I, And Do You Like My Housewarming Gift

drat, just missed it. drat slow mobile network. Would've tipped the scales, too.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

I sit down by the river, washing my face off. It feels nice in the warm humidity of the forest afternoon. I decide I'm going to make something nice to leave with you, so you can buy your way in more easily. I need to calm my mind down to the base color I've become, so I can fade to hue with peace. First, I reach out into the magic of my biology, mitochondria reacting to my thoughts. Thanks to the prior overcharge, absence of all psychic interference, and the premium-access link to the artificial Spirit Animal, I feel confident in my ability to demand a second withdrawal.

CHEESE! BURGER! SPIRIT! ANIMAL! posted:

(IQ - Cheeseburger Magics!) 10 - [1]+[5]+[2] = 8 - Success!

I can hear it, the proper startup invocation of the artificial spirit animal. I relax my body into the ambient Mana, sinking into its pool while sending ripples to call out to my tether bond. Installed, online, and ready for instant activation.

A burger manifests, seen in the magic gloss over my eyes. First the bottom bun. Then the sauce. Then the patty. Then the cheese. Finally its crown, and it's done. To a tinny-watered commercial chirpy theme, the unspirit dances and gyrates with the promise of low low prices for big big deals.

It knows I'm a
PREMIUM member, though. Not just the 3rd Place raffle winner, but a magi of Lord-destroying potential. So I can skip the tutorial, the mandatory commercial breaks, the cute little tunes. I pet the spirit animal and then force it to sit down on the ground by me, and I tell it that I want a CATERED meal. Deal? I'll make payment. But it has to work for... for a bunch of people who are like, artists. Who like substances? Those types. This is what a premium member who dined with Duke Sauber asks for, spirit animal. You want that 5-Star review, you make sure I get what I need.

I sit forward and feel relaxed enough to smile at the success of my confidence. I pet the burger, which wiggles with its little corporate dance, and then send it up into the aether to make the order come through. Soon my to-go will be here, to help get your foot in the door. I get up to head across the riverbend, where I see a huge number of wooden boards and metal scrap has made a crude bridge safely down into the surrounding stone walls of the displaced complex.

I pause to think next to a destroyed rivertree. I pick up a hefty log of it, run through with moss, turning it over in my hands. I think back to my days on the stage. I think, well, catering is one thing, but you need to make yourself memorable as well. I don't see why I can't try as well after such an easy bit of spellcasting. I hold the wood and take out my sword, sizing it up.

(PE - Artsy Cut) 13 - [3]+[6]+[2] = 11 - Success!

I set it against a rock, and give it a strong cleave through the center. It creates a thick disc of the wood, clean and flat on one side. I press my hand into the clean side, and let it seep with the celestial fluids. I smear it all over with rough motions, and wait a little while as it cures the wood with metallic discolorations.

I hold it up and out with another smile. Look at that. Something to serve the delivery on. I think I'm actually ready.

HP: [ 19 / 21 ]
FP: [ 23 / ▓14 ]

ANXIETY: [0%]

See? I've done it. I've mastered this poor, tired, frightened body. I've kept my promise. I spend a little while longer looking up at the tree canopy. It's nice here. Quiet, humid, sleepy. I can see birds sometimes, pale and slender ones with angular wings, silently scavenging the treetops of the many insects hidden there. I begin to empty my mind in the river's blue static. I set my pack aside, down to nothing but suit, shroud, and sword.

Because of my colors, I find my mind drifting to places that tyranny would never allow itself to. I just need you to be savvy about this. I know that's next to impossible with the anxiety that soaks to the bone, but if I'm going to keep this lying promise, then I need you to know how to deal with the creative types. My career gave me a lot of exposure to those types, especially in those starting years. I spoke with a whole host of personalities of all walks, those final entertainers and teachers who made it a holy mission...

I'm not going to dwell on it right now though. I want you fresh.

There on the bank, I spread my arms while lying back, and look at the sky. I think about my color, its strange new hue, and I wonder if you'll see it again. I'm going to let it fade now. It'll stain some corner hidden in the back of the black.

(WL - Dissolution To You) 19 - [2]+[6]+[4] = 12 - Success.

I look at the sky, and close my eyes. My last thought is of the nearing hills, and what is hiding inside of them.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!
F

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
We'll miss hue too.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Huh, if "I" is supposed to be the Tyrant assuming control, and this now says that "I" used to be a performer... maybe it isn't that the Tyrant and Singer are two entities in one body, but that the Singer is the Tyrant, or became the Tyrant after civilization ended.

Grond
Mar 31, 2016
Yup. They're most likely the same. Which brings up the question of "you". Who are they?

The text mentions a promise about mastering "this tired, frightened body". Which would mean *you* is the body while *I* is the memories, going back to our first encounter with Smiercia.

Now of course the question is which one of the two is the viewpoint character of the Holy End flashbacks. I'd be inclined to say it's *you*, since AFAIK we've never had them as the Tyrant, and we've never used Tyranny on those.

So right now I think our protagonist is composed of:

*I*: Tyrant class. Has memories of the world pre-Fall, which seems similar to Earth in the middle of the 20th century, but weirder, if we take into account the testimony of Alyssa. Evidence for this is recalling being famous from the 50s to the 80s. Good at singing. May have disappeared for good after this update.

*You*: Psychic Class. Has memories or visions of the Holy End and its denizens, at a subconscious level. Likely romantic partner of Aitvaras in the Holy End timeline, founder of the Holy Chicken Knights, is the source of "Murderous Intent", may have possibly killed Kwiat.

Being that *you* will probably keep living, we can expect to see more Holy End visions. Possibly. I don't know if in that timeline *you* ever went out of the Holy Valley, but we've seen other triggers for the visions apart from being in the same place one happened (such as the weather, Life-giving rains happening in reality triggered another vision in a different place where it was raining like that as well.)

Grond fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Apr 11, 2021

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

User 'Rotary Tomb' posted:

I've attached my own take on best class powers. I've also put out a bounty for any data on oneruns that went Lightning Elementalist, passive/defensive focus, to the Jandoubi area. Lightning poor element to fight with there, but I workshopped that nearly all passive/defensive (mostly Speed, DX, Defense, extra attacks, electric absorb/redirect, etc) would be viable, but need at least one-two Megaliths beat for ¼ or 1⁄10 Lightning damage. If there's an early Dywysogeshashmal, feel confident it'd be an manageable win, which means Gold Lion and gigantic DPS increase, which means easy easy Killing Show survival tactic. Thoughts?

plaintiff
May 15, 2015

I vote Farmer. This class produced the farthest onerun, and gardening sounds incredible. Why pay for food from MC&D when we can grow and maybe even cook some delectable goblin fruit. Maybe even sell it at the Goblin Market-equivalent for the big bux.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

... wait, is this a vote? Because I'm pretty sure that boat sailed... oh wow, 5 months ago almost?

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!
I was wondering why putting levels into our class skills wasn't upgrading the core skills, and now it seems I have an answer - beating Megaliths seems to be what upgrades your core skill ability. So if we want to get Psi β, we need to beat a Megalith. Ω being described as "taking forever" is mildly concerning though, considering that if we're going by Earthbound rules that's the fourth level, meaning we should theoretically have it halfway through our Megalith run. Unless, of course, the upgrades alternate between our Class and our Tyranny, which means we'd only get it at the sixth/seventh Megalith.

Still, this means we shouldn't worry too much about the Megaliths. They're going to be harrowing experiences, but The Difficulty Spike that seems to kill everyone without fail appears to be something that happens after the Megalith arc. Does Smiercia betray us, perhaps? "Deadwalk" being described as a requirement to survive the endgame might have something to do with that - being able to walk while dead, or move around after death, might be vital for evading Smiercia's wrath.

GilliamYaeger fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Apr 8, 2021

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

GilliamYaeger posted:

Still, this means we shouldn't worry too much about the Megaliths. They're going to be harrowing experiences, but The Difficulty Spike that seems to kill everyone without fail appears to be something that happens after the Megalith arc. Does Smiercia betray us, perhaps?

It wouldn't surprise me if killing the Lords doesn't actually resurrect Kwiat or give the power to do so, and I'd assume Smiercia would 100% blame the PC for that and start hunting them/cause the fatal difficulty spike somehow. (Presumably at that point she can't just retcon the PC entirely.) This is another argument for not taking whatever the game's intended plot path is, since it may very well just not be winnable.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 204 days!
i think it means we should pick up bedside manner and maybe as for a list of options at level up

Rubix Squid
Apr 17, 2014
If it is indeed a choice I think I agree.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Bedside Manner would make our health-draining Darkness techniques absurdly strong.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Dumb question, was necromancer even a class option? I'm too lazy to find the class vote poll. Also, it almost sounds like there'll be a list of abilities we'll get to chose from, amd that the omega psychic skills just take a long time to unlock. Cinsidering how few skills we've already unlocked... yeah. Thoigh it may just mean Omega has a very low chance of showing up at level up.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

The other thing there I see is that Burner is seriously hardcore, to the point where the whole onerun theorycrafting community has only ever found one consistent way to beat her. Also, Farmer apparently has the furthest onerun despite being literally impossible to win as.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I would laugh if "the furthest onerun" meant that the person got the furthest outside the "boundries" of the map, rather than the one closest to winning. Then again, considering how older games can get when you wander too far outside of where you're supposed to... maybe that was an actual strategy. Old games are weird, hilarious, amd weirdly hilarious. And we already know Zen Hell End isn't the most... stable game...

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

[Long load for the Cultpartments... that's never good. Time to read up to calm the nerves.]

The Blue Book posted:

This section covers what's currently known about the base mechanics of the game. If you have anything significant to add, please refer to the Blue Book page submission guide. Forum threads cover ongoing discussion for each topic listed here, which is updated with the latest information.

Which page will you read to better understand?
(Using Strawpoll again. If it doesn't work out by the AM, will put up another vote.)

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Randalor posted:

... wait, is this a vote? Because I'm pretty sure that boat sailed... oh wow, 5 months ago almost?

I'm sorry, it is not. It's just a flavorpost. While you are locked into being a Psychic, many flavorposts will show off the other classes - no regrets! Of course, certain rare abilities and items are able to mimic particular class powers.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

Black August posted:

[Long load for the Cultpartments... that's never good. Time to read up to calm the nerves.]

(Using Strawpoll again. If it doesn't work out by the AM, will put up another vote.)
I yearn for more class mechanics, even if it is functionally useless information. But alas, learning about the Lords is much more relevant while still being a very interesting subject.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Thinking about the Sixpack Self.

1. Mushroom Mind
2. Silver Mind
3. Tyrant
4. Singer
5. Body???
6. ??????

EDIT: Body is almost certainly one of the six because it speaks up and gets rowdy when our charming protagonist is beat to poo poo or otherwise being very bad at bodily self-care. It's not an aspect of the mind one thinks about much, but it's certainly an aspect of Self. That still leaves us one short.

PetraCore fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Apr 9, 2021