Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Chadzok posted:

I seriously, literally do not understand what that means. What are they buying. I can get that picture off google. I can get that picture off the page that you linked to. I can get a link to that picture off that page, if it's a link that they want.

I guess, money laundering? But doesn't that only work if it keeps changing hands for some relative amount of value? Did the girl in that meme just sell a ton of heroin with a trafficked child inside, or is she just keen to encourage that sort of thing?

it doesn't need to actually be marketable to be used for money laundering. in fact the more obscure and niche the better. if i can claim some painting or blockchain token may look worthless to most people but worth millions to a select group of savvy enthusiasts then who are you to say that me selling it to some "anonymous" bidder isn't legit? that just proves you aren't sophisticated enough to appreciate its value

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Chris Roberts frantically googling "what is nft"

Turns out you didn't even need to make the video game part of Star Citizen

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.
Isnt Star Citizen and its jpeg spaceships the grand daddy of NFTs?

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

So, Green Day tomorrow, yes?

thanks autocorrect for assuming I meant the band, I guess?

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

I wonder what's going to happen with NDRA. It's pretty obviously going to be a good day for stocks but NDRA is already pretty well close to its normal ceiling.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Grem posted:

I wonder what's going to happen with NDRA. It's pretty obviously going to be a good day for stocks but NDRA is already pretty well close to its normal ceiling.

To the moon!

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Grem posted:

Beelzebub willing, I’ll be getting a nicer apartment than this leaky one.

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

Grem posted:

I was gonna get back in around 2.20 but I didn’t have any cash available in my account and didn’t wanna sell the boring stocks I’m holding to get some. Little bummed out that I didn’t and missed another chance to play the “sell near $3” game

Valicious
Aug 16, 2010
I thought the market was closed on Monday?

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Valicious posted:

No just last Friday.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Most of the european markets will be closed this Monday though.

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

Valicious posted:

Christ (and two other people) weren’t crucified on Monday

java
May 7, 2005

pmchem posted:

What do people think of Schwab's iOS apps? Or their phone support?

Schwab's app does what I need it to do. I like the StreetSmart desktop app quite a bit more.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Tetramin posted:

Christ (and two other people) weren’t crucified on Monday

It's a day of recovery after the big Easter feast with family. Which didn't really happen this year because of that thing that's doing the rounds these days.

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme

Chadzok posted:

I seriously, literally do not understand what that means. What are they buying. I can get that picture off google. I can get that picture off the page that you linked to. I can get a link to that picture off that page, if it's a link that they want.

It's a digital collectible. So while (much like cryptocurrency) the whole thing is absurdly dumb when you step back and look at it, if you're down in the weeds with other degenerates it kinda makes sense. Yes, you can copy that image, just like you can print a copy of the Mona Lisa and hang it above your toilet. It's not the item itself that is valuable: it's the ownership of it. So right now, among a small but growing cluster of degenerate gamblers, NFTs make as much sense as baseball cards. The added benefits are you don't have to physically store or protect the item, you don't have to worry about physically shipping it to transfer ownership, and you get to act like one of those fancy people who store priceless artwork in freeports. There's also a lot of self dealing happening here, with that record breaking $69mil NFT artwork sale going to a billionaire who owns an NFT marketplace or something.

It's a level of stupid that makes it immune to satire. If that lady gets a house for a JPG still from a video she was in years ago, I don't know what to say.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
If I was Twitter famous I would sell every one of my tweets and instagrams as a NFT right now and cash out and laugh at all the idiots buying it up while I wipe my rear end with literal gold.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Jalumibnkrayal posted:

It's a digital collectible. So while (much like cryptocurrency) the whole thing is absurdly dumb when you step back and look at it, if you're down in the weeds with other degenerates it kinda makes sense. Yes, you can copy that image, just like you can print a copy of the Mona Lisa and hang it above your toilet. It's not the item itself that is valuable: it's the ownership of it. So right now, among a small but growing cluster of degenerate gamblers, NFTs make as much sense as baseball cards. The added benefits are you don't have to physically store or protect the item, you don't have to worry about physically shipping it to transfer ownership, and you get to act like one of those fancy people who store priceless artwork in freeports. There's also a lot of self dealing happening here, with that record breaking $69mil NFT artwork sale going to a billionaire who owns an NFT marketplace or something.

It's a level of stupid that makes it immune to satire. If that lady gets a house for a JPG still from a video she was in years ago, I don't know what to say.

NFTs don't imply ownership at all. Also, the Mona Lisa is a physical item you can't duplicate exactly, an NFT is simply some Blockchain entry that links a file somewhere else. There are no "originals" with digital items, I find it doubtful that Blockchain entries with links that may or may not work will remain valuable in any way, or desiderable to any collector. Owning some links (well, not the URLs themselves) isn't the same as owning a physical set of cards.

grenada
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.
I imagine that people like the Kendall Roy character from Succession are the kind of people that are buying NFTs. Failsons/daughters trying to remain relevant by throwing around their trust money on whatever is trending in wealthy social circles.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

laxbro posted:

I imagine that people like the Kendall Roy character from Succession are the kind of people that are buying NFTs. Failsons/daughters trying to remain relevant by throwing around their trust money on whatever is trending in wealthy social circles.

haven't seen the show, but,

:hmmyes:

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

Boris Galerkin posted:

If I was Twitter famous I would sell every one of my tweets and instagrams as a NFT right now and cash out and laugh at all the idiots buying it up while I wipe my rear end with literal gold.

Yea you can just screenshot some famous person's Twitter and do the same thing. You're just lazy.

It's okay, so am I.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

I can’t find an explanation of how the embedding in the blockchain ownership part works. So you buy it, the person sends you a penny worth of buttcoin with a “message” in the memo line that’s the url to the goatse nft. But that is now permanently in there, how can you 1. Prove that it is you who owns it and B. then ever sell it to someone else? And what’s stopping someone from just sending another transaction with the same url memo?

Atricks
Nov 5, 2003
Hurricane Man
Back in January a few folks were pushing GOEV (Canoo) and now it's got multiple lawsuits against it, "On March 29, 2021, after the market closed, Canoo revealed that the Company would no longer focus on its engineering services line, which had been touted in the SPAC merger documents just three months earlier and formed the basis of Canoo’s growth story."

I've still got some shares in it (sold some earlier, kept some), and I'm not sure if to hold onto it until this all clears up or what.

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.

pmchem posted:

What do people think of Schwab's iOS apps? Or their phone support?

It works great for placing basic orders, but one thing that's irritating is that notifications for trades don't fire right away, so often times I'll be going in and making a trade only to be warned that I either have nothing to sell or already bought. Which, if I wasn't paying attention to the buy confirm screen, could presumably burn me.

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN

pmchem posted:

haven't seen the show, but,

:hmmyes:

you should watch it it's very good

Umbreon
May 21, 2011
It turns out that locking the country down and vaccinating everybody as fast as possible was in fact the quickest way to fix the economy.

I'm also really glad I bought these spy 398 calls last month

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Red posted:

Welllllllllll: https://lastwordonsports.com/prowrestling/2021/03/04/wwes-saudi-arabia-problem/

The airline holdup dispute was a loving disaster (Vince left ahead of the talent, so they were essentially held hostage), but I have no idea how NBC is going to treat that relationship. It might be nothing, but that seems like drama waiting to happen.

Even besides all this, the decision to move to Peacock was a great financial windfall for the short term, but ditching their own digital network gave up control of their own content library; when the Peacock deal is done, then what? Restart the network? Take a much lower bid? It's all so murky, and business and creative have been steadily declining for a while.

Not to mention that they may not bother to start touring again after the pandemic. Live show revenue was a big thing for them previously as it drives the value of their TV rights.

Plus greater competition from AEW.

pmchem posted:

they're getting the right to say they paid $410,000 for a png file and it's "theirs"

these people are morons

They don't own the png.

They own a hyperlink to a png that will cease to function the moment the host gets bored.

There is nothing rational about NFT, it's a pump and dump scam to push up Etherium prices.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Apr 5, 2021

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

drunken officeparty posted:

I can’t find an explanation of how the embedding in the blockchain ownership part works. So you buy it, the person sends you a penny worth of buttcoin with a “message” in the memo line that’s the url to the goatse nft. But that is now permanently in there, how can you 1. Prove that it is you who owns it and B. then ever sell it to someone else? And what’s stopping someone from just sending another transaction with the same url memo?

You can't, you can create a new token with the same URL and someone else can send another transaction with the same URL. You need to trust the issuer. But an NFT itself implies nothing about ownership of the artwork itself, or what rights you have. You always need a separate contract that handles these things. NFTs are entirely useless, an ancillary token when you simply could sell the file itself with a contract without a link on the Blockchain.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I'm not a blockchain or bitcoin expert or anything, but as I understand it, the blockchain is a decentralized "authority" and the reason you mine coins and such is to reach a consensus on what is the "correct" state so that no central authority is needed.

Like, right now you log onto your bank account and you see a balance of $420. How do you know you actually have $420? The bank tells you so, and that's that. You have no idea if the bank is lying or not and there's no way to find out.

With cryptocoins, I'd have an "account" with $420 in it. And if 50% + 1 of all the miners agree (through complex useless math) then that is proof that I have $420 in that account. There is no way to lie about it because it's all there in plain sight. Furthermore, it's a chain, so you can see how that $420 number came to be. eg, there was a deposit of $500 and a withdrawal of $80.

NFTs are attached to a blockchain in a similar way such that if the majority of the miners agree the NFT belongs to me, then that NFT belongs to me, no question about it.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Yes, however ownership of the nft is ownership of a fraction of an Etherium coin with a tinyurl link encoded in the transaction notes.

It is of less value than a dollar bill you wrote a url on, because at least the bill can be used as a bookmark.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

Alright, can anyone give some feedback on a strategy I want to try? I'm not great at math, so I don't know if I'm really doing anything worthwhile, but my idea is to have a chunk in NDRA, when it reaches 2.80 sell off $1,000 and put it in VTI, wait for price to drop to 2.20, buy back with whatever is in VTI, and repeat. Am I just spinning my wheels here or am I increasing my shares of NDRA or what the hell?

This made sense when I was taking a poop two nights ago but now I can't figure out what the hell I was thinking.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Seems like a lot of hands on time to make ~$250 before short term cap gains on each step, but if you think NDRA is going to keep bouncing fast enough to make that worthwhile it could eventually build up slowly.

This is, of course, not investment advice as I am woefully unqualified.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Grem posted:

Alright, can anyone give some feedback on a strategy I want to try? I'm not great at math, so I don't know if I'm really doing anything worthwhile, but my idea is to have a chunk in NDRA, when it reaches 2.80 sell off $1,000 and put it in VTI, wait for price to drop to 2.20, buy back with whatever is in VTI, and repeat. Am I just spinning my wheels here or am I increasing my shares of NDRA or what the hell?

This made sense when I was taking a poop two nights ago but now I can't figure out what the hell I was thinking.

OK, so this "buy the cycle" strategy a lot of you have been doing is fun, but you gotta realize its just the most basic form of chartistry/tea-leaf-reading that we used to make fun of in here all the time. The patterns work until they don't, and there is almost no actual reason behind any of it. Except that you trust that there are enough other people selling at 2.8 and buying at 2.2 that it keeps working for you.

Its probably positive expected value, but only in the sense that being long the market in general is positive expected value.

If you really think the company has a better chance of having their product approved than "the market" thinks, you should probably just buy and hold, otherwise you're running the risk of not holding it when it pops.

I'm not advocating against basically martingaling this thing, my degenerate soft spot is martingaling single zero roulette whenever I see it. Which is actually significantly -EV, not like playing with NDRA. But yes, you are just spinning your wheels.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
Nothing is going insane, but I have no complaints.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Woodchip
Mar 28, 2010
selling a bunch of NPA Apr 16 $10 puts. How are SPAC puts a buck under strike still a quarter.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Successfully didn't sell my $395 SPY calls on Friday. Letting runners run

Stonks

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

I want to own a rickroll NFT and somehow hack all other NFT’s to link to it.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Femtosecond posted:

Why are NFLX option premiums so high? Is it because it has an earnings release date coming up on April 20?

The premiums are high both pre and post this date. Will they drop like a stone after earnings?

Re-asking this for the new week.

If I write covered calls for easy money, why am I making a huge mistake here?

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

cr0y posted:

Successfully didn't sell my $395 SPY calls on Friday. Letting runners run

Stonks

grats... Bitch

java
May 7, 2005

Come on DraftKings, all of your buddies are flying, don’t you wanna fly too?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Sold half my NDRA now that its green. Now if it decides to plummet I can grab some more, or if it goes even higher I wont feel too remorseful.