Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QqkZP_SScg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

SpaceAceJase posted:

After reading this thread I booted up my near mint in box JPN virtual boy and it's dead. Probably that ribbon cable issue :smith:

it's pretty rare for the display issue to cause the system to appear dead. usually you'd get lines in the screen or parts of the image that are blanked out. is the system making a whirring/slight vibration? (this is the mirrors moving back and forth rapidly). if so, try a different game. if you aren't getting that noise/vibration it is probably the battery pack or the controller.

if it truly is the ribbon cables causing this, i'll fix them for you for free if you'd like. this is what they look like when fixed:

the original gameboy had the same problem with the "lines in the screen" issue and for the exact same reason; they used glue instead of solder for the ribbon cables and they detach over time. i'm really surprised they didn't learn their lesson with the original gameboy. but yeah every VB is basically a ticking time bomb!

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

it's pretty rare for the display issue to cause the system to appear dead. usually you'd get lines in the screen or parts of the image that are blanked out. is the system making a whirring/slight vibration? (this is the mirrors moving back and forth rapidly). if so, try a different game. if you aren't getting that noise/vibration it is probably the battery pack or the controller.

if it truly is the ribbon cables causing this, i'll fix them for you for free if you'd like. this is what they look like when fixed:

the original gameboy had the same problem with the "lines in the screen issue" and for the exact same reason; they used glue instead of solder for the ribbon cables and they detach over time. i'm really surprised they didn't learn their lesson with the original gameboy. but yeah every VB is basically a ticking time bomb!

Tato posted:

Galactic Pinball and the prototype are very fun. I got my VB for 20 bucks at KB Toys when they just wanted it gone.

Then a nice weird dude on the internet soldered the ribbon cable for free when it started going. All he wanted in return was to photograph and add the serial to his database of all VB units. He also has my address and could come murder me while I’m playing the VB, but it’s a small price to pay for Nester’s Funky Bowling.

trying to jack off posted:

that guy was definitely uncle at nintendo

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Lmfao

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
lol I definitely fixed some goon's Virtual Boy for free a few years ago, but I don't think it was Tato because it wasn't for access to his serial number. I asked him if he insisted, to instead donate $50 to this vet's office towards a $2,700 bill i had amassed in my name for this stray cat i found that had his inner ear cancer tumors removed.

here he is on the car ride to the vet

here he is the next day

he now lives happily in some big rear end house in Syosset, NY :)

thank you, Nintendo. your 6 year span of glue-based ribbon cables paid for 1/56th of that cat's surgery!

(I don't really like doing stuff for money for whatever reason, so that's why i'll offer up free poo poo like a spare DSiXL i'm not using or whatever.)

Chumbawumba4ever97 fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Apr 5, 2021

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
This is what happens when you don't bully people enough.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Publicly flaming UaN but privately thinking he seems nice.

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

more like a Barking Dog, woof!
Uncle at nintendo ftw

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

NienNunb posted:

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
it's a richer forum for having him

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

ive said this before but its cool that you can idly muse about hacking or jailbreaking any system you can think of and within minutes he shows up with an itemized bullet point list for how to do it and a list of sites to get roms from

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

NienNunb posted:

a Loving Dog posted:

Uncle at nintendo ftw

This.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

“The human mind has been hacked no matter what firmware you’re on” thinks UaN as he uploads his consciousness into the cloud.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

*pulls hacked super mario game and watch out of breast pocket and inspects it like a victorian london gentleman looking at his pocket watch* good heavens look at the time

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

NienNunb posted:

*pulls hacked super mario game and watch out of breast pocket and inspects it like a victorian london gentleman looking at his pocket watch* good heavens look at the time

lmao

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

A suspiciously young looking Uncle at Nintendo with a portrait in his attic growing more pixelated over time

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

NienNunb posted:

lol

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

a Loving Dog posted:

Uncle at nintendo ftw

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002

The Milkman posted:

hell yeah

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

The Milkman posted:

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

NienNunb posted:

he's a harmless dorkus with heart, and hell, we could all use a few more of those in our lives

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Uncle at Nintendo.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I have no particular opinion about Something Awful Forums User Uncle At Nintendo.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Uncle Nintendo, So What

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Smirking_Serpent posted:

PENNYWISE: This your PSP?

Georgie looks around. Bill is nowhere nearby. Rain continues to pour from the sky, dripping into the sewer.

PENNYWISE: Good console, you know. It's been hacked, no matter what firmware yar on, ha ha!

GEORGIE: Why are you in the sewer?

PENNYWISE: Oh, the mods said not to say.

GEORGIE: How come?

PENNYWISE: They don't let me in on that stuff. I just do my tricks for the kids. You look like a nice boy. I bet you have lots of friends!

NienNunb posted:

lmfao

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Smirking_Serpent posted:

PENNYWISE: This your PSP?

Georgie looks around. Bill is nowhere nearby. Rain continues to pour from the sky, dripping into the sewer.

PENNYWISE: Good console, you know. It's been hacked, no matter what firmware yar on, ha ha!

GEORGIE: Why are you in the sewer?

PENNYWISE: Oh, the mods said not to say.

GEORGIE: How come?

PENNYWISE: They don't let me in on that stuff. I just do my tricks for the kids. You look like a nice boy. I bet you have lots of friends!

lmao. remembering when he got all dramatic about his Exile From Impzone and then someone posted about modding and it summoned him back to make giant gay posts instantly

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

extremebuff posted:

lmao. remembering when he got all dramatic about his Exile From Impzone and then someone posted about modding and it summoned him back to make giant gay posts instantly

haha yeah man who would leave in a big huff and then try to act normal coming back

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

elf help book posted:

haha yeah man who would leave in a big huff and then try to act normal coming back

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

elf help book posted:

*pulls collar nervously*

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

glad youre both posting here 100%

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Lmao

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Bob and Fungah ftw.

Ruffini
Oct 2, 2018

elf help book posted:

Lol

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

elf help book posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=869CmugS0WY

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

lmao

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

m_stewart41: woah snoop calm down

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

lmao

Hizke