Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

World War Mammories posted:

kid's daffy. head fulla puddin'

"Thicker skin? Poor Ned's skin is three inches thick, how do you think that makes him feel?" :colbert:

"I dunno, *itchy*?" :shrug:

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Mar 19, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe

World War Mammories posted:

kid's daffy. head fulla puddin'

I bet his eyes are as gooey as the next guy's....

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

HEY! HEY! I'M NOT SUPPOSED TO BE IN HERE!

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I had to pull up that episode because it's just so good.

e: captain's face as he swings the sword makes me lol every time.

Mr. Nice! fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Mar 19, 2021

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe

FBS posted:

"You're real!!"

"Used to be!"

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

also rewatching and oh man that's the episode with henchman one/zero too

"Now it's just pathos! See, you're dyin' in my lap, and I'm all SCOTT! SCOTT! DON'T YOU QUIT ON US! DON'T YOU DARE!"

oh man and "THERE'S SOMEONE IN THE MUSEUM!" "Can't be! We're closed on the weekends!"

gotta stop myself before I just type out the whole script

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Stop saying that, I'm not going to die.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe

Cojawfee posted:

Stop saying that, I'm not going to die.

Now, it's just pathos.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

FBS posted:

I got the dart monkey on me back.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I got the dart monkey on me back.

that's one of those lines where i read it and i hear a perfect rendition of it in my mind.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I watched Now Museum Now You Don't and thought it was on point when Prof Impossible put his mouth over the bomb and ended up saving everyone and everyone praised him for his ingenuity and bravery. Then everyone left and Pirate Captain said "you were trying to kill yourself, weren't you."

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe
I love it when he walks in on Sally, who is getting dressed. She's naked, tries to cover herself, and her skin goes invisible.

Sally screams. Pirate screams. Sally screams louder. Pirate, seeing Mrs. Visible Woman, covers his eye, screams in horror, and dives behind a wall.

Sorry! Sorry! Geez, this is all kinds of uncomfortable. On, like, a couple of levels, here.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

I love that they made Pirate Captain the straight man in most situations except the dart monkey.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

TK-42-1 posted:

I love that they made Pirate Captain the straight man in most situations except the dart monkey.

It's really exceptional writing. Making what should be the craziest character in a scene the most reasonable really illustrates just how batshit everyone else is

Ajaxify
May 6, 2009
Why can't I hear them?

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe

Ajaxify posted:

Why can't I hear them?

Because you are sane.

Ajaxify
May 6, 2009
That bit and the whole scene before it starting with Red Dragoons "training" is probably in my top 3 scenes.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Pirate Captain watching in horror as Dr Venture proceeds to slowly erode his brothers company is great, along with his new duds.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

“Is Brock Samson jealous of my super sweet death ray?” Is probably my favorite Jonas Jr. line.

qirex fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Mar 20, 2021

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

qirex posted:

“Is Brock Samson jealous of my super sweet death ray?” Is probably my favorite Jonas Jr. line.

Their entire discussion about the VINTAGE Death Ray like they're discussing an old car is gold.

Season 3 was a very large step up from 1-2, as everyone promised, almost every episode was a banger. Season 4's kickoff was also bananas, and I'm excited to see what comes next with the insane new status quo. Hunter apparently faking being trans as part of some kind of bizarre quintupple-agent scheme was kind of a bummer, I had actually really appreciated how the show had MOSTLY not taking her (his?) transition for granted in any way and just accepted her as a woman with barely even a comment on it.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Sanguinia posted:

Their entire discussion about the VINTAGE Death Ray like they're discussing an old car is gold.

Season 3 was a very large step up from 1-2, as everyone promised, almost every episode was a banger. Season 4's kickoff was also bananas, and I'm excited to see what comes next with the insane new status quo. Hunter apparently faking being trans as part of some kind of bizarre quintupple-agent scheme was kind of a bummer, I had actually really appreciated how the show had MOSTLY not taking her (his?) transition for granted in any way and just accepted her as a woman with barely even a comment on it.

The Hunter thing is actually a big part of his character moving forward. He references his time post-op a lot.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

My read was that Hunter is trans but had to detransition for spy reasons, they talk about missing having breasts, for instance

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe
Yeah. In the chronology of the VB story, way before--his physical transition, in "The Invisible Hand of Fate," when Billy says he wanted to go to MIT, Hunter says, "And I wanted to be born with big, beautiful tits!" Most men don't express the desire to be born with tits of any kind, much less big ones, and even if they're beautiful.

I think his story has, like most things VB, evolved. When he first physically transitioned (or confirmed; sorry, don't mean to offend, but I do not know the lingo), I think the implication was that he was doing it specifically to retire safely. That episode establishes the whole "no women, no children" chivalry (or benevolent sexism) aspect to the spy game. Kill anyone you need or want to. Just, you know, not if they're a child or a woman. No exceptions, unless they're also a dracula, which makes them fictitious according to Hunter. (Not sure about their rule on blackulas, which do exist in the VB canon.) I think the actual trans aspect to his character was simply added in later out of convenience. It gave a more character-building explanation to his physical transition, and it provided them not only with another woman who has a man's voice, but one whose face was clearly and unapologetically coded male.

Then again, I could be wrong--was Hunter seen with that antique cigarette holder in the episode "Assassinanny 911?" Because while not exactly a dead giveaway of female identity, those cigarette holders (especially the long ones like Hunter uses) were generally associated with women.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Mr. Lobe posted:

My read was that Hunter is trans but had to detransition for spy reasons, they talk about missing having breasts, for instance

"Two big, pillowy gifts from God, man, and super-science - and he wanted to get rid of them!"

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Well obviously the whole joke with Hunter (and the OSI) is that just like in the movies, everything is a septuple bluff of increasingly ridiculously proportions.

Venture Bros was really good :unsmith:

Saturniid19
Aug 1, 2006
brought to you by North Central Positronics

tarlibone posted:

Then again, I could be wrong--was Hunter seen with that antique cigarette holder in the episode "Assassinanny 911?" Because while not exactly a dead giveaway of female identity, those cigarette holders (especially the long ones like Hunter uses) were generally associated with women.

I think you're reaching a bit. Hunter Gathers is modeled on Hunter S. Thompson; the voice, glasses, hairline, and the cigarette holder are all references to the late journalist. Thompson wasn’t trans, though, and he had a history of misogyny and homophobia.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe

Saturniid19 posted:

I think you're reaching a bit. Hunter Gathers is modeled on Hunter S. Thompson; the voice, glasses, hairline, and the cigarette holder are all references to the late journalist. Thompson wasn’t trans, though, and he had a history of misogyny and homophobia.

I knew he was a pastiche of Hunter Thompson, but I don't know much about the guy's look (or anything else about him). So the cigarette holder thing isn't a clue, then.

OK, I'm back to thinking that his physical transformation in "Assassinanny 911" was done largely because it was an anti-murder loophole, and his trans identity was retconned in out of convenience to advance his character later. Which, well, is about as Venture Bros. as you can get.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Pretty much every bit of serialization on this show was from them going and rewatching the whole series every time they would start writing a new season and I love it. It ends up feeling a lot more tightly plotted than a lot of shows that plan ahead, there’s not really plot lines that sputter out or anything

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

tarlibone posted:

I knew he was a pastiche of Hunter Thompson, but I don't know much about the guy's look (or anything else about him). So the cigarette holder thing isn't a clue, then.

OK, I'm back to thinking that his physical transformation in "Assassinanny 911" was done largely because it was an anti-murder loophole, and his trans identity was retconned in out of convenience to advance his character later. Which, well, is about as Venture Bros. as you can get.

Really owe it to yourself to watch Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas, and/or The Rum Diary

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Data Graham posted:

Really owe it to yourself to watch Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas, and/or The Rum Diary

Or read the original books for that matter

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

drrockso20 posted:

Or read the original books for that matter

Yeah for real. At least read those two. Hunter’s voice bleeds through his prose in a way few other authors do.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/JamesUrbaniak/status/1378086813378641921?s=20

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

tarlibone posted:

the sunglasses, mumbling manic speech, intensity, cig holder, and substance abuse are all essential aspects of the hunter thompson caricature - and not very far from the man himself. like the hunter gathers -> hunter thompson similarities are super telegraphed, to the point that i think they dropped the whole awkward trans thing because it was simply overwhelmed by the characterization. hunter gathers can't be trans because hunter thompson isn't trans, and hunter gathers is basically just hunter thompson dunked into the venture universe

johnny depp played him in this movie which is a sort of psychedelic version of the man

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8m662obIvhY

and uh this clip is too good not to post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHeSC_Ws5Ic

Mr. Fall Down Terror fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Apr 5, 2021

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

this is one of my favorite hst bits

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etYed15hjiM

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

The Criterion edition of Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas has a commentary track featuring Thompson. He has some insights about writing the book, some stories about helping Johnny Depp get into character, and a lot of unprompted screaming.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

Regarding living with HST for a few months before filming Fear and Loathing:

quote:

"He hands me a propane tank — I've got a cigarette hanging out of my mouth — and he hands me this thing about the size of a matchbox and says, 'Tape these on the propane canister.' I was, 'What are these things?' and he says, 'Oh, that's nitroglycerin.' The cigarette immediately went in the sink." After completing the bomb, Thompson had Depp shoot it in the backyard. Depp hit it on his very first try, resulting in what Depp recounted as "a seventy-five-foot explosion, an enormous, huge burst of fire."

While staying with Thompson, Depp almost sent the whole house up in flames himself. When putting his cigarette onto an ashtray on top of what he thought was a beside table, Depp realized it was actually a crate of live dynamite.

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Brock likes women who aren't infatuated with him. If you notice, whenever a woman goes out of their way to try and seduce him, he's all :nallears: about them. Sure, he might sleep with them, but he has zero interest in seeing them again. He likes teasers who make him work for it. :shrug:

Alexis/Warriana keeps him on his toes. Probably literally, most of the time. >.>

Her complete absence in the last season was one of the worst parts of it but I guess Kate McKinnon had better/more profitable things to do.
"I'm going to tire you out. Break you upon my... wheel" still gets used in our house.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6KtXT9z0DU

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

My favorite thing about that scene is how Warriana glances down the halls to make sure that spectacle isn't being watched as she crunches the numbers of that situation in her head

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Mr. Lobe posted:

My favorite thing about that scene is how Warriana glances down the halls to make sure that spectacle isn't being watched as she crunches the numbers of that situation in her head

I laughed until I was hoarse watching him knock her door with that doorman mook. Probably rewound and watched it for a good ten minutes until I stopped laughing enough to keep watching the rest of the episode.

Then I laughed at her "edict."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

*gets lassoed* ILIKEDIT!

I unabashedly love that Brock is a fan of pegging.